IGNORED

Concealed Carry on The Course

EZPZ
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow, that's pretty harsh.

Nope. He said that despite differences we'd be able to play golf together, actually it was kewl, let's play golf. I contend the differences wouldn't be a good match on the course, it's obvious to me we have little in common. For those who missed it I have a permit, many guns, been around them my entire life. Just don't think they are appropriate on the course.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@ditchparrot19 ,

Please use multi-quote and refrain from personal attacks.

For one, I didn't intend to multi-quote anything. The double-post deal was an accident and I apologized for it above.

For another, I didn't attack anybody. That was merely an observation.

John

For one, I didn't intend to multi-quote anything. The double-post deal was an accident and I apologized for it above.

For another, I didn't attack anybody. That was merely an observation.

Thank you for clarifying.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Wrong. The NYT is one of the few publications left in the world that actually has journalists on staff and investigates their pieces to a very high degree. They don't rely on AP or Reuters for all their investigative pieces because they don't trust the source material. The idea that they are extremely liberal is a canard put out there by competing right wing publications because those people don't have the same investigative integrity and they get almost all their information from other sources.

One of the few times the NYT was caught with their pants down it was because of Judith Miller, who was a mouthpiece for the neoconservative foreign policy of the Bush White House. That's a liberal agenda?

End of rant. I have no comment about the thread subject because it is just another polarized conversation with no middle ground or nuance.

Um, did you read their Benghazi piece? They were universally railed for it's lack of investigative journalism as well as outright lies within. Once a great paper, now a rag...

Yeah, I read the Benghazi piece and it was the most definitive piece to date written about what happened that day and contained the first published interview with the cat they just arrested and are bringing to trial. It wasn't "universally" railed, just by media like Fox News.

Originally Posted by ditchparrot19

Your rant is nonsense. The idea that it's extremely liberal is proven every single day on the editorial pages of the "Old Gray Lady."

Try reading this. It's a decade old, but the paper's philosophy has not changed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/25/opinion/the-public-editor-is-the-new-york-times-a-liberal-newspaper.html?src=pm&pagewanted;=1

And you are talking about the opinion page. I am talking about journalism, something that hardly exists in the media anymore.

Bill M

Nope. He said that despite differences we'd be able to play golf together, actually it was kewl, let's play golf. I contend the differences wouldn't be a good match on the course, it's obvious to me we have little in common. For those who missed it I have a permit, many guns, been around them my entire life. Just don't think they are appropriate on the course.

Why do you own guns ? why not just take a karate class like you suggested ? Really not trying to be argumentative or anything just interested in your reasoning. Mine was an extreme situation for sure. I told my story to prove that it could happen, even on a golf course.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

I always carry some form of gun when I'm on the golf course. Me and my father had an incident a couple years back that led to this decision. We were playing a local course and were behind two guys, one of whom was very intoxicated. We pulled up on the 18th tee and these guys were nowhere in sight. We figured they packed it in, but waited a couple minutes just in case. After not seeing them, we teed off. As we get to our balls, these guys come tearing up in their cart right up to us from the adjacent fairway. One of them jumps out and started screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs. He went back to his bag, grabbed a club, and started to head towards us. Luckily his buddy stopped him and they went away but I seriously thought I might have to cave this guy's head in with my 8-iron. When I got my concealed handgun license i started carrying everywhere I was legally able. That includes golf courses. I normally pocket-carry a Beretta Jetfire .25 Auto and stick my Sig in my bag. I never let that bag out of my sight BTW. Anyone else carry on the course?

The situation you were in was very scary. The drunken hotheaded man was definitely something that would shake anyone up. The best course of action would have been to report to the pro shop that the party in front of you attempted to assault you. That would prevent this person from showing up on the course to possibly assault someone else.

As far as concealing the gun is concerned, the last place I would expect to have a fire fight is on the golf course. What if you had shot the guy as his friend held him back? That would be assult and battery with intent to kill. You would be imprisoned for shooting a man you did not actually know was going to attack you. Assault with a golf club is a far less serious crime than carrying a concealed weapon with intent to kill. If you had it out on the open, he would have been less likely to attack you in the first place.

Even if it turned to battery with a golf club, would you really shoot him? Keep in mind that discharging a firearm on the golf course will create a very dangerous situation for other golfers.

Either keep the firearm out in the open where people can see it, or, preferably, don't carry at all. You could be endangering all our lives if you discharge it on a golf course.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Based on this specific topic about a very limited subject matter you've been able to determine that you would not get along with him? You must be a much better judge of character than I am.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

You never know until you've tried it. I play once a week -- sometimes more -- with an extremely liberal attorney with whom I don't share views on anything away from the course. We don't talk politics of any sort and we get along just great.

This whole thing does have me wondering, though, what he would think if, on the way to the first tee, I said something like, "Hold on, let me stop by my truck and get my gun."

John

You never know until you've tried it. I play once a week -- sometimes more -- with an extremely liberal attorney with whom I don't share views on anything away from the course. We don't talk politics of any sort and we get along just great.

This whole thing does have me wondering, though, what he would think if, on the way to the first tee, I said something like, "Hold on, let me stop by my truck and get my gun."

I play random people all the time, and every one of them has been a pleasant playing partner no matter what their political, religious or other orientation.

Golf is a great place to make friends.

If you had said something about forgetting about your gun, so be it. If you choose to discharge it, I might  tend to look the other way and slip away on the next hole. . . B-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Why do you own guns ? why not just take a karate class like you suggested ? Really not trying to be argumentative or anything just interested in your reasoning. Mine was an extreme situation for sure. I told my story to prove that it could happen, even on a golf course.

Both my uncles were martial arts instructors, started at a young age, around 5. I practiced several years eventually competing in local organized Tough Man competitions ca. 1993ish. If you read the entire thread you would have saw I mentioned my father was a cop/detective, been around guns my entire life. Don't hunt anymore, not interested don't care if people do, but may in the future. I also managed a sizeable auto dealership years ago in the absolute seediest part of town where crime was an hourly occurrence in daylight. I got my permit then because I handled a lot of cash and was always the last to leave, often alone after dark. Heck our customers were some of the most unsavory people I've ever encountered. We had multiple vehicle thefts as we stood watching and confrontation with disgruntled customers was common. Still wasn't confident carrying was the way to go, for reasons others have already mentioned. LEO's with intense training get killed all the time confronting criminals. A guy carrying just died in Vegas confronting criminals. I don't think I am qualified to engage in situations like that and given the choice I prefer flight over fight. So far in half a century it hasn't been an issue. Being maimed or killed due to violence isn't high on my list of things to worry about.

I don't own a gun but support the rights of those that do or wish to in the future.  That said, even if I did own a gun, I wouldn't carry it to a golf course.  I don't go to bars where there's likely to be trouble and I wouldn't go to a golf course where I felt it necessary to protect myself with a concealed handgun.

Life is too short, even if you are cleared of the criminal charges of shooting ,or worse, killing someone, you still have to live with it on your conscience.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

. I don't think I am qualified to engage in situations like that and given the choice I prefer flight over fight. So far in half a century it hasn't been an issue. Being maimed or killed due to violence isn't high on my list of things to worry about.

Well stated ...

when I have gone for target practice, they are usually are not moving, and shooting back at me, and I am not crapping my pants and full of adrenaline while trying to shoot them ... so actually I am pretty good a shooting stationary paper targets ...

Like Dave2512, I am not qualified to engage ... to quote Lynard Skynyrd ...

"Won't you give me three steps,
Gimme three steps mister,
Gimme three steps towards the door?
And you'll never see me no more."

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Wow, that's pretty harsh.

It may be, but it's also on topic. I don't particularly care enough to argue about gun policy, but if I were paired up with a stranger carrying a gun on their hip, in that specific situation , I would at least think about asking to be moved to a different tee time. It would give me pause, definitely.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Man, late to the party on this one. Can't say I carry on a course, and can't imagine a reason I ever would need to. I'd like to think I'd have enough time to retreat if a threat presented itself. I know in NY, even if someone breaks into your home, you need to make an attempt to retreat prior to using force. The only time I carry is fall/winter months. My Glock 27 is tough to hide with shorts and a shirt, but fits great into the inside pocket of a jacket.

So what? My Dad was a cop and many of his friends as well. I saw more guns than you can imagine back in the day. Doesn't mean it's appropriate to carry one on a course where the chance of a violent encounter is about as common as winning the lottery. In fact the cops I golf with don't take guns to the course. Golf is friggin' leisure activity, a chance to get way from all that. Guns rights, gun safety, whatever really don't have any purpose in this thread. This is about guns on the course not why you think it's okay to own one because you had a responsible upbringing. The OP is prepared to shoot someone because he's afraid of being attacked by an unarmed drunk, like it's an every day occurrence.

What part of grabbed a golf club (you know the 4 foot long metal sticks we swing at 80+ MPH?) and started coming towards me screaming an yelling at the top of his lungs, did you not understand?

• Administrator
What part of grabbed a golf club (you know the 4 foot long metal sticks we swing at 80+ MPH?) and started coming towards me screaming an yelling at the top of his lungs, did you not understand?

Let's refrain from phrasing things quite like that, please. That could be read very harshly, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean it that strongly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not a lack of understanding I think it's fiction. Specifically with the intent of spreading a pro gun message.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshalcomb View Post

Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

Not a lack of understanding I think it's fiction. Specifically with the intent of spreading a pro gun message.

This.

Something along these lines happened at our club last season. There was a confrontation (over deliberately hitting a ball into a group in front) and one of the guys grabbed a club and wielded it in a threatening manner. The other guy did the only common sense thing to do in that circumstance. He dropped him with a hard right. Unfortunately they were both kicked out and he is the one who is being prosecuted for assault. I can't imagine what would have happened if a gun was involved.

After reading this thread, I am going to question whether we need to institute a ban on concealed weapons on our property. I find it disconcerting to think that some may be packing, not just on the course, but on the property, as we have a liquor license.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!