IGNORED

When should you replace your golf bag?

Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Callaway cart bag that is looking a little dirty, has slight wear areas on the fabric and some increased flex in the structure of the bag but no breakage or non working components. The biggest complaints about the bag is that club sleeves bind up when pulling a club out and putting them back in. This could possibly be remedied with plastic sleeves. It's had about 2.5 seasons of use. Other than these things, it still functions fine, but it looks a little worn. I see others use bags until something breaks. I think I want a new bag because of the binding but want to hear others opinions just to see if this is premature. I know it's personal opinion but my golf spending is getting a little crazy lately.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the nicer things about golf is buying golf products, which usually turns out to be something the golfer does not really need. IMHO if the golfer thinks something should be replaced in their golfing arsenal, then by all means replace it. It matters little if it's affordable, and/or the wife, and/or significant other agrees to the purchase. The golfer will feel better, and a golfer who feels good,  will golf better. This after the initial "why did I buy that?"  wears off. My guess is that feeling good could be worth up to 2 less strokes per round. :drool:

I have replaced many bags over the years. Most of the time it was because one of the zippers gave out. Other times I saw a bag that looked really cool, and was on clearance.

Yes, buy the new bag. Your clubs probably deserve a reward. :-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

When you need duct tape to keep it together :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Whenever you feel you want it or when it literally won't work anymore. I've had my Ogio Grom for 5 years now. It started to wear on the area that touches my back and on the shoulder straps, but since I started using a push-cart, the wear is almost none. I might get one suited for a push-cart at some point, but the one I got works fine.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

@Valleygolfer ,

Does the golf bag do the following:

1. Act uncomfortable with your when you are around its friends?
  2. Take a long time to reply to your texts?
  3. Rolls its eyes when you make quirky jokes?
  4. Doesn't get excited when you suggest going out to dinner?
  5. Snap at your for no apparent reason?

Then dump it.  You can always donate it to the First Tee in your area.  They welcome stuff like this.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@Valleygolfer,

Does the golf bag do the following:

Act uncomfortable with your when you are around its friends?

Take a long time to reply to your texts?

Rolls its eyes when you make quirky jokes?

Doesn't get excited when you suggest going out to dinner?

Snap at your for no apparent reason?

Then dump it.  You can always donate it to the First Tee in your area.  They welcome stuff like this.

Come to think of it, I am the one that is always texting it. It never initiates any communication.... :~(

One of the nicer things about golf is buying golf products, which usually turns out to be something the golfer does not really need. IMHO if the golfer thinks something should be replaced in their golfing arsenal, then by all means replace it. It matters little if it's affordable, and/or the wife, and/or significant other agrees to the purchase. The golfer will feel better, and a golfer who feels good,  will golf better. This after the initial "why did I buy that?"  wears off. My guess is that feeling good could be worth up to 2 less strokes per round.

I have replaced many bags over the years. Most of the time it was because one of the zippers gave out. Other times I saw a bag that looked really cool, and was on clearance.

Yes, buy the new bag. Your clubs probably deserve a reward.

I have been getting a lot of rewards lately...but hey, nothing is too good for me! :-P

Whenever you feel you want it or when it literally won't work anymore. I've had my Ogio Grom for 5 years now. It started to wear on the area that touches my back and on the shoulder straps, but since I started using a push-cart, the wear is almost none. I might get one suited for a push-cart at some point, but the one I got works fine.

I got this bag to replace a carry bag that didn't work well on my cart. This works better but still rotates in the cart and gets fabric wear, where it contacts the upper cradle. I am looking at the C130 which is the same brand as my cart and I was hoping that they have some sort of built in material to work with their carts on it. When I bought the cart it stated that it was supposed to work with Sun Mountain cart bags but I have seen no information confirming this is the case with the bag.

I got this bag to replace a carry bag that didn't work well on my cart. This works better but still rotates in the cart and gets fabric wear, where it contacts the upper cradle. I am looking at the C130 which is the same brand as my cart and I was hoping that they have some sort of built in material to work with their carts on it. When I bought the cart it stated that it was supposed to work with Sun Mountain cart bags but I have seen no information confirming this is the case with the bag.

I have this problem. I use a bungee for a better hold, but it still rotates.  I was thinking of putting a rubber strip or maybe velcro to hold it better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Replace it when you start leaving a trail of balls and tees behind you. :) Actually, i think I'd replace the bag if it were binding also. Life is too short. If you do get plastic inserts (which I don't like), put a little clear tape on your graphite shafts. Any wear on the shafts will weaken them to the point they may break. If I were in the market today, I'd get this. $122.99 for a Bennington. That's about $100 savings for this model! These are really great bags. http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Bennington-Quiet-Organizer-Golf-Bag/2902879/product.html

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I have this problem. I use a bungee for a better hold, but it still rotates.  I was thinking of putting a rubber strip or maybe velcro to hold it better.

I use a bungee as well and it still rotates also. I would stay the club binding is more of a nuisance than anything. It is often very hard to get the fairway woods out of the bag. I wonder if something is broken in the bag.

If you can buy it without affecting your personal or financial life, and you want it ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've had my bag since sophomore year of high school so it's gotten a ton of use over the past 6-7 years. One of the straps finally ripped off about a month ago so I tied it around the bag handle as a temporary fix. I have no plans to replace it at this time, and will probably take it to a shoe repair shop as a few people on here have suggested.

-Rich

If you can buy it without affecting your personal or financial life, and you want it ...

Might make me personally happy... :-P

I replace a bag when it starts to fray or when issues like binding occur.  I typically expect 5-6 years out of bag that costs about $100.  Also, sometimes you just want a new bag for a change of pace - they are not a fortune and if you have the money why not get one?

Just replaced my bag this year.  Previous bag was a brown fake alligator bag from 1973.  It was still solid, but I would always win the "ugly bag award" at special outings.  The zippers did give out tho.  Got a new ORG 15.  The clubs bind.

I guess my answer should be to replace whenever you start routinely coming home with less clubs than you started with.  Ugly can be beautiful !

Just replaced my bag this year.  Previous bag was a brown fake alligator bag from 1973.  It was still solid, but I would always win the "ugly bag award" at special outings.  The zippers did give out tho.  Got a new ORG 15.  The clubs bind.   I guess my answer should be to replace whenever you start routinely coming home with less clubs than you started with.  Ugly can be beautiful !

I have the same crappy ORG. Must be a design flaw. Send me your gator bag!

Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!