Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
short iron

Beginner score.

13 posts in this topic

Saturday I played my 3rd game ever. I shot 9 holes and scored a 62. I don't know if this is good or bad for a beginner? But I felt good about it.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Its great if you felt good about it.  In terms of how it rates against other beginners, I think it depends a lot on how difficult the course was, whether you followed the actual rules of golf and how much practice you have put in prior to playing.

Golf can be frustrating at times, but is more enjoyable as you are improving- keep having fun!

In all honesty, as a beginner I'd focus less on scores and more about how many good shots you hit that round. As far as the score I'd say that's pretty typical of what most beginners score.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have read, from different publications that the average amateur score is around 100 for 18  holes. The articles also stated this number has not changed over the years, even with all the new golf technology that has come about up to now. So I suppose that the number 100 would be a good target score for any one to gauge their game against.

Now, something that was not mentioned in some of those articles was how close to the rules amateurs might play. That might make a difference in that number 100. No matter as I would still use 100 as a number of reference.

Average of 100 is for ALL amateur golfers. Beginners would likely have a higher average. But if you felt good about it, then that's what counts.

I agree with what a few others have said. Focus on hitting good shots and gaining confidence. You are going to hit a lot of balls poorly as a beginner. Heck, I have been playing for 15+ years and I still hit a lot of bad shots. I would say rather than trying to get to a certain number just try to improve a little each time out. Practice, Practice, Practice!

Saturday I played my 3rd game ever. I shot 9 holes and scored a 62. I don't know if this is good or bad for a beginner? But I felt good about it.

Good for you!

As you're finding out, this game is a lot harder than they make it look on TV! ;-)

Personally the first time I ever went out I shot 101.

for 9 holes.

I once shot a 75 in a high school golf match, it's definitely one of my most memorable rounds to date.

I'd say if the course was a regulation course, that's pretty good. My first time I yacked up an 18-hole score of 135, so you can do the math.

Yes! Golf is a lot harder then what it looks like on TV. But it's a lot more fun to play it, then to watch it (so far). I guess I'm not good enough to get really mad yet. I don't have to worry about blowing a good score on a bad hole, because I haven't had a good score yet.

The local course I play at is Clover Meadows Golf Course in Cloverdale, Indiana. From the red tee, and yes I play from the red tee. I'll move back to the next tee when I think I'm ready. The course rating is 72, and the slope rating is 124 (from the red).

I have a golf rule dictionary. Although some rules can be hard to understand. I do my best to follow them. I want to learn the game right.

I been studying books to learn the game. I feel I'm starting to develop a golf swing. Although I'm still having trouble with my grip. I use the overlapping grip. When my grip feels comfortable, it don't look right. When it looks right, it don't feel comfortable. Maybe it's just a matter of training my mind, body and hands until it feels right. Or maybe I'm just not doing it right at all. I'll keep working on it. I got a new book yesterday, ( Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, the modern fundamentals of golf). Maybe it will help.

Thank you all for your tips and inputs.

Good luck, and happy golfing.

62 for 9 holes is not bad for a rank novice.  The first time I actually kept a true score on a real course, which I did primarily for a starting reference point, I shot a 65.  I've so far knocked 10 strokes off of that, so yeah, you did fine.

Keep in mind that only about half of your average recreational golfers (especially those who only play a few times a year) break 100 consistently.

I also would say that a 62 for your 3rd 9-holes ever is pretty typical, especially if you're following the rules.

I also agree that you should focus less on your scores and more on quality shots.

Spend some time on the range and get to where you're making solid contact every time.  Topping the ball or hitting the ground first and it rolling just past the ladies tees will turn an easy hole into a hard one in a hurry (I used to do that a lot when I first started).

Spend time on the putting green so you can eliminate 3-putts (or worse).

Do those two things and you'll get that score down in a hurry.  That was the key when I started breaking the 100 mark.  Solid contact and putting.

Happy golfing friend.