IGNORED

Is absolute satisfaction attainable in golf?

3putter
Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is absolute satisfaction attainable in golf?

• Yes
    • No
    • maybe when I shoot 18 under par

Round by round, yes, I can achieve absolute satisfaction, even knowing I left a few out there. But typically, I'm not satisfied, esp over the past few months. So, doesn't happen often but from time to time, I go home completely giddy.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

shot a 38 last night (7 pars) - pretty close to being satisfied (which is highly unusual in my case)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

18 Fairways in Reg, 18 Greens in Reg and 18 one putts. Probably the only time I would be satisfied with every shot I hit, and an entire round. Even then there are some greens might be overly large, and hitting to 60 feet away isn't that satisfying. Draining a 60 foot put is thought. To be absolute satisfied I would say all the shots would have to have no disappointment to them. I think it is possible, but very very unlikely.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I get that good " I can play this game" feeling a handful of times per year. The rest of the time the game is pure torture.

Perfection is the ability to shoot the best of my ability in my mind.  I voted yes though because I really enjoy it and its a perfect way to spend the alone time I get

For me, no. I can be happy with a score I shoot because I did well on a lot of things, but there are always things that I did wrong that I wish I hadn't.  And right now that's typically quite a few things. I know that as a higher handicapper I should just accept that I'm "not that good" but that's just not me. I'm very competitive and expect a lot of myself. When I look at how much higher my index is this year compared to last year I tend to get pretty upset with myself, but at the same time I've been told my swing looks much better... I accept that my scores are suffering in the transition but that doesn't mean I'm satisfied with those scores. This is not to say I have the right mindset, if someone can play a round and be completely satisfied with whatever they shoot, that's awesome.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

18 Fairways in Reg, 18 Greens in Reg and 18 one putts. Probably the only time I would be satisfied with every shot I hit, and an entire round. Even then there are some greens might be overly large, and hitting to 60 feet away isn't that satisfying. Draining a 60 foot put is thought. To be absolute satisfied I would say all the shots would have to have no disappointment to them. I think it is possible, but very very unlikely.

You are using the word satisfied though.  For me, there were times when I wasn't satisfied with my swing but the shot was perfect

I checked the last option because an under par round seems so out of reach to me at this point.

However, I seriously doubt that absolute satisfaction is attainable.

Even on good rounds that I am pleased with, I still look back at the few shots that I could have hit better, or the 3 putt that cost me a par.

As someone else said, even pros get frustrated with their game.  How many times has the mic overheard "***damnit Tiger", coming from him.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

Don't know how anyone's answer can be yes unless you always play your absolute best.  That's just being real, not jaded. I shot 77-73 today  which is very good but I missed a 1 foot putt which I still can't believe and I didn't hit every shot perfect and most likely never will.  I strive to be perfect but I don't think that's attainable for anyone

The question was about satisfaction in golf, not in how well one plays (if so then it was not clarified).  If someone enjoys the game regardless of their score then they could be absolutely satisfied in golf and never break 100. Now if the question was about absolute satisfaction with one's golf skills and doing their own personal best potential, then maybe not. But with "satisfaction" being a very subjective word open to individual interpretation that might be applied at various points in time using adjusted measurements, then I could be absolutely satisfied with a bad round of golf if I define my satisfaction as having not lost a single ball into the woods or waters during the round. What is the personal goal, then what will be the measurement of satisfaction.

Any round I can get to play brings satisfaction regardless of my final score. There will always be room for improvement, but I don't want to ruin the enjoyment of the day based upon some mis-hits and letting the bad shots over-ride the good shots.

Is absolute satisfaction possible in golf? The answer for some is yes, for others the answer is never.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

The question was about satisfaction in golf, not in how well one plays (if so then it was not clarified).  If someone enjoys the game regardless of their score then they could be absolutely satisfied in golf and never break 100. Now if the question was about absolute satisfaction with one's golf skills and doing their own personal best potential, then maybe not. But with "satisfaction" being a very subjective word open to individual interpretation that might be applied at various points in time using adjusted measurements, then I could be absolutely satisfied with a bad round of golf if I define my satisfaction as having not lost a single ball into the woods or waters during the round. What is the personal goal, then what will be the measurement of satisfaction.

Any round I can get to play brings satisfaction regardless of my final score. There will always be room for improvement, but I don't want to ruin the enjoyment of the day based upon some mis-hits and letting the bad shots over-ride the good shots.

Is absolute satisfaction possible in golf? The answer for some is yes, for others the answer is never.

Very well said sir.

For me, how satisfied I am is directly proportional to how well I'm playing that round.  If I'm playing terribly, I'm not having fun.

For me golf is a love/hate relationship.

My wife drove me around the course one day and I had a particularly bad round.  She asked me why I played because I didn't seem to be enjoying it at all.  I told her that golf was the most evil and frustrating game on the planet, but for some reason since the first time I picked up a club, I can't put it down.

Some say that if they were in my shoes they would find another hobby, but I just can't stop.  I am very competitive, especially with myself.

So, I don't see me ever attaining absolute satisfaction.

I envy those who enjoy themselves no matter what is on the scorecard.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

You can be satisfied with scores or shots, but I feel like its impossible to be absolutely satisfied with your golf game as a whole because you want to continue to improve it.

Whats in my bag:

:nike: SQ Dymo2 Driver

Triumph Fairway Woods

:nike: VRs X Irons

:nike: VR V-Rev Wedge

:mizuno: Putter

• Administrator

I voted yes in the poll, but if the poll asked if it was attainable for me , I'd have said no.

I can get a lot of satisfaction from practice. Play is never 100% (even just asking to hit every shot really well - not eagling every hole or something ridiculous). Heck, it might rarely be 50% depending on your definition of "hitting every shot really well."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The day I don't see anything to improve would be the day I stopped playing. Fortunately, I think I am well enough stocked with things to improve to last me longer than my body is likely to hold out.

My vote was "yes" because for brief periods I am absolutely satisfied.  This weekend I played very well overall, scored well, hit an extremely long drive on #18 into the fairway, stuck my wedge approach to 6 feet and rolled in the birdie putt.  At that moment, there was a complete feeling of satisfaction.  Of course, once I had walked to the parking lot I began thinking about the 3-putt on #16 and the fat wedge on #2, etc...  Still, that little period of time right after the putt rolled in was perfect.

Brian Kuehn

I have found that I started playing the game for the enjoyment of the game. In the process I have made some very good friends. I find myself enjoying their company on the golf course more than playing the game. So I voted yes, because each week I get to get some exercise and hang out and compete with my friends.

Michael

In golf, as in life, one is trying to achieve beauty. It's attainable momentarily, but not for an extended period. There are shots with which I'm absolutely satisfied, but rarely holes, and never rounds. How could it be otherwise?

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Shot 75 one day, fairly satisfied, 1 hole id like back. Shot 33 today, pissed off, would like 4 putts back that on regular greens I would have made. Was 0/5 for birdies inside 100 yards

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!