IGNORED

Bubba Protests Long Drive Competition at PGA

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is this just Bubba being Bubba or should the PGA reconsider holding a long drive compeition during a practice round?

• Bubba needs to get over himself
    • PGA should let the golfers prepare for the tournament without unnecessary distractions.

Bubba being a pompous prick?

How odd. Not like him at all.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Bubba is lucky he has this insane gift to play a trivial game. Can you imagine if he had to work a real job?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is why I believe Bubba needs a new drug ... if he's not crying or blaming his caddy, he's slamming a long drive event ... or doing this ... at the 2013 PGA

Bubba should want to even out..

Seems like a good guy that may be on a roller coaster

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Microphone caught him griping at his caddy again last week. Missed a putt and his instant reaction was "Dang it Teddy!" Think he realized he was mic'd or perhaps is trying to correct that behavior because immediately after he said that he said "My bad." With sort of a sheepish grin.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Bubba on the long drive contest, " just seems hokey to me."

Hokey: " obviously contrived, especially to win popular appeal or support; phony"

Every single video Bubba puts out is hokey....

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

This is why I believe Bubba needs a new drug ... if he's not crying or blaming his caddy, he's slamming a long drive event ... or doing this ... at the 2013 PGA

Bubba should want to even out..

Seems like a good guy that may be on a roller coaster

Ugh, I hate him just a little bit more now.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think I'll start calling him Blubba Watson.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You're correct, it shouldn't have but when he brought it up it did become a part of the conversation.  He was a dick and then tried to invoke religion to prove he wasn't.

If someone is truly a good person or a good Christian, they don't have to tell you, it is obvious by their actions.

Sorry Bubba, beliefs don't make you a good or bad person, actions do.

I really hadn't followed him much off the course and never realized what a douche nozzle he was.  I was surprised.

I totally agree.

I hate when I go to work and they want everyone to dress up like a super hero or Hawaiian theme ... so I sort of understand his point of view ... I like going to the office and doing my job and going home ... the golf course is his office ... he is there to learn and focus on the course, and attempt to be the best he can on Thursday, plus this is a major right?

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I hate when I go to work and they want everyone to dress up like a super hero or Hawaiian theme ... so I sort of understand his point of view ... I like going to the office and doing my job and going home ... the golf course is his office ... he is there to learn and focus on the course, and attempt to be the best he can on Thursday, plus this is a major right?

Watch the above video of Bubba "practicing" for the 2013 PGA Championship.

You're trying to tell me that the man in that video can't hit ONE.....ONE drive to appease the fans and potentially raise money for charity?

Did I mention it was one drive? A drive that he will be using driver on tomorrow.

and like I said before, it's one thing not to participate, it's another to "prove a point."

I'm sure you don't go to work and hate on all the people that dress up as super heroes to "prove a point."

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

They were only measuring drives on that hole. It's not as if the competition was a separate event at a separate venue. I believe it was designed to make things interesting for spectators while not interfering (or be minimally invasive) with the practice round.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I think they should have just measured the drives and spoke out about the contest afterward....  How mad would Bubba have been then?

Or next year, they should say that one hole is the long drive hole, but we are not telling which one...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

With that being said though I did see the interview.  He doesn't care what others think(or so he says).

In my experience people who say that, almost always do care what third parties think. People who genuinely don't care, don't waste their time telling anyone they don't care, precisely becase, they don't care.

He then goes on to make some quip about winning the longest 3 iron driving competition. OK he probably thought he was being sarcastic, but he was aware of this achievement and felt it necessary to say it. My own guess is that he does care, and that Savvyswede was correct on the very first page. Bubba felt he was on a bit of hiding to nothing if he didn't win it.

I somehow doubt however that shockwaves would have gone out around the planet that Bubba and his pink ping had failed, and the most sensible thing to do was tee a couple of balls up, smack them, have a laugh, and move on. Even if he didn't win it, who cares (well perhaps Ping do) but there was no good reason not to think he'd have gotten himself a top 10 spot even with a slightly mishit drive

He's obviously fragile upstairs, and there's a weakness there as he can clearly be rattled. Riling a talented player isn't always advisable of course, but he could equally self-destruct

It might become very interesting to see how he handles a potentially hostile crowd at Gleneagles. They'll be aware he can be got at, and if he starts whining and praising the lord and generally conforming to every stereotype possible, don't expect him to be let off lightly. Tom needs to have a word with him

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but it could be argued that a large part of his job is to entertain the fans, could it not?  After all, if there were no fans, there would be no tour, at least as we know it.  So this type of thing kind of should be considered part of his job.  Plus, he's a big phony, because as has been pointed out, he participates on the Par 3 competition at Augusta, the pond-skipping "competition" at Augusta ... how is this any different?  Dangit, the more and more I think about it, the more he's bugging me.  He better do something good quick!! :)

.....ONE drive to appease the fans and potentially raise money for charity?

Agree with all of the other stuff you said, but I believe this is incorrect.  They weren't "raising" money for charity.  Nobody was pledging an amount for each drive hit, or each yard gained, they were simply awarding prize money to charities on behalf of the winners.  Him hitting or not hitting a drive doesn't affect the bottom line of the charities either way.  (At least that's what I think I heard yesterday)

I think they should have just measured the drives and spoke out about the contest afterward....  How mad would Bubba have been then?

Or next year, they should say that one hole is the long drive hole, but we are not telling which one...

Lol. That would be funny. Suck it Blubba!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

He would have to hit 3-iron on every par 4 or 5 that round.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!