IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

Let me start by saying that 1) I really like using GG and looking through the data it gives, and 2) the customer service folks at GG are very prompt, and they are looking into this problem, but don’t have a solution yet.

I’ve noticed a really unusual pattern that seems to occur at one particular hole at a course I play, which seems to have started just this year (my second year of using GG).  GG correctly records and displays where my tee shot lands at this hole, but when I go to “Insights” and look at “Off the Tee” it shows really strange data for the tee shot (sometimes).

In March of this year, I drove right and long of the green.  Off the Tee said it was left.  GG Support fixed that in a day or two.  The problems became more frequent starting in August of this year.  Drove right rough (and long), Off the Tee says 11 yards in the left rough:

8 17 16 right rough.png8 17 16 incorrect left indicated.png

I drove the green :dance:, but Off the tee says I missed just on the edge of the right rough:

8 28 16 drove green.png8 28 16 incorrect right miss indicated.png

I landed in the left fairway.  Off the Tee says I was in the right fairway, but 55 yards to right of the center.  In reality, 55 yards right of center is not only off the fairway, it’s in the trees about 1/3 of the way back to the first tee.

9 18 16 left fairway.png9 18 16 incorrect miss right 55 yds.png

I landed in the left rough. Off the Tee says I was in the right fairway, 60 yards right of center:

9 29 16 left rough.png9 29 16 incorrect right fairway 60 yds.png

I’ve got other examples, but these are kind of typical (others saying I’m 45 yards, 56 yards, 58 yards right of center, but still in the fairway).  And it’s not every time, but lately it seems to happen more often than not on this hole.  And I haven't seen it on any other hole on any other course.

As I mentioned above, GG support is aware of this and working on it (for the last 2 1/2 months).  It’s not a malfunction of the GG unit—the locations of my shots on the imaging look completely correct; I don’t know that it’s a matter of mapping that hole, since sometimes the interpretation of green/fairway/rough seems right on the money. 

So my reason for posting is to share these weird results just because they’re weird, and to see if maybe someone else has noticed some bizarre results like this (data interpretation problem in GG, when the GPS data look correct, on a specific hole).

Oh, and in the off chance that this is all because this 9th green happens to be built in the Missouri equivalent of the Bermuda triangle:  If I happen to go missing sometime, tell the authorities to start looking for me here.  About 45-60 yards right of the fairway.

• Upvote 2

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very interesting, @Missouri Swede. I've noticed a couple points on that "Off the Tee" fairway chart, but nothing to the extent that you have. I do like to see the overall skew of left and right shots, so I'm hoping that data is close to some degree. I'll have to spot check a couple rounds now!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator
3 hours ago, RandallT said:

Very interesting, @Missouri Swede. I've noticed a couple points on that "Off the Tee" fairway chart, but nothing to the extent that you have. I do like to see the overall skew of left and right shots, so I'm hoping that data is close to some degree. I'll have to spot check a couple rounds now!

If I get a second I'll check as well.

Spot checked several and all were correct as far as left/right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

If I get a second I'll check as well.

Spot checked several and all were correct as far as left/right.

Mine were fine, so it might be something very localized.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

2 hours ago, RandallT said:

Mine were fine, so it might be something very localized.

Yeah, it's strange.  I've only noticed it on that hole. And now it's becoming frequent on that hole.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

4 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

That is a steal.-Which makes me wonder:

• Are they going out of business?
  • Liquidating old technology that they are going to replace soon?
  • Switching to inexpensive hardware and a paid subscription for better data?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

do you need a smart phone with this, or can you get by with only a desk top computer?

What is the difference between the digital and live models?

thanks

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

31 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

I was wondering the same thing - they were on offer in the UK recently too (but have now gone back up in price).

The first tags came out in Apr14, second gen Oct 15, so it could be an update is imminent (although it might already be too close to Christmas for a 2016 release).

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

do you need a smart phone with this, or can you get by with only a desk top computer?

What is the difference between the digital and live models?

Merged here, and I'm sure someone might answer your questions. Maybe even you if you take a few minutes. :-)

The Live version adds Bluetooth so your round can instantly be updated to the site via your smart phone. That's about it.

I don't use it with my smart phone. I use it only with a computer.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

I'd guess they are coming out with a new version.  Some of the systems that came out after them have improved on the hardware concept, such as using a band you wear on your wrist versus your belt and eliminating the need to tag the club before using it.  

One or two have also added additional technology to the sensor tags that provide swing feedback that is a bit more basic than a Zepp unit but useful enough that you can view your swing and see swing speed of each shot.  

Joe Paradiso

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Merged here, and I'm sure someone might answer your questions. Maybe even you if you take a few minutes. :-)

The Live version adds Bluetooth so your round can instantly be updated to the site via your smart phone. That's about it.

I don't use it with my smart phone. I use it only with a computer.

Thanks, that answers my question. Sorry for not looking it up. Still a bit groggy this morning and have not had my mandatory dose of caffein. I guess I dont really need the Blue Tooth, and the prices are coming down. I think I saw it advertised at $129.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'd guess they are coming out with a new version.  Some of the systems that came out after them have improved on the hardware concept, such as using a band you wear on your wrist versus your belt and eliminating the need to tag the club before using it.  

I don't think those are necessarily improvements.

The Arccos relies on the tag being inverted, for example, and then registers an impact. They are larger, throw off the swingweight of the clubs, have a battery in them, require your smart phone, etc.

Tagging a thing on your hip quickly becomes second nature.

What examples out there have improved on this?

4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

One or two have also added additional technology to the sensor tags that provide swing feedback that is a bit more basic than a Zepp unit but useful enough that you can view your swing and see swing speed of each shot.  

That would make it illegal to use in a round of golf, and more expensive. It would change their business model from stat gathering to swing analysis.

2 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Thanks, that answers my question. Sorry for not looking it up. Still a bit groggy this morning and have not had my mandatory dose of caffein. I guess I dont really need the Blue Tooth, and the prices are coming down. I think I saw it advertised at $129.

$109:

P.S. That might say $143, but if you click through, it'll say $109 for at least a little while.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

The Arccos relies on the tag being inverted, for example, and then registers an impact. They are larger, throw off the swingweight of the clubs, have a battery in them, require your smart phone, etc.

That would make it illegal to use in a round of golf, and more expensive. It would change their business model from stat gathering to swing analysis.

$109:

P.S. That might say $143, but if you click through, it'll say $109 for at least a little while.

wow!  Although I deem this as a luxury that I do not really need, it's almost too good to pass up. or more aptly, it is a luxury that I probably do need more than I realize.;-)

"James"

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

$109:

I wasn't aware that you had to invert the tag on Arccos to get it to register, if that's true then I agree it's not a better solution.   I also agree the larger sensors throw off the clubs swing weight compared to the lighter game golf. 

While those that capture swing data may not be legal for a round of golf they provide greater insight to your overall game.  I have tested the Club Hub product and it does help to see your swing on good shots and especially bad ones.  For example, I noticed I was coming up short on a lot of Par 3's where I was hitting off a tee.  Club Hub data indicated that my swing speed was slower off the tee with my irons compared to when I'm hitting off the ground.  I could have deducted that a slower swing speed was a likely cause for coming up short but seeing the data pin pointed it.    

Joe Paradiso

not ready to purchase this just yet, but I will go back and read this entire thread and try to absorb all I can. Thanks to all who contributed.

"James"

• 2 months later...

I received GG Live for Christmas, and I'm excited to try it out.  I tried the phone app version for half a round last summer, and didn't like it (too manual).  I'm hoping this version with the tags makes it much easier, because I do like seeing the data.

I inserted all my tags in the clubs last night, now I just need to read this thread in it's entirety for tips, and wait a month for the weather to break.

1 hour ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I tried the phone app version for half a round last summer, and didn't like it (too manual).  I'm hoping this version with the tags makes it much easier, because I do like seeing the data.

It is.  

I had the same experience using the phone app for a couple rounds.  Got the tags.  I paid attention to tagging my shots for a couple rounds.  After that it got to where I hardly even notice it during the rounds.  Still gotta think about putting the clip on the belt and turning it on before, and then loading the data and recharging the unit afterward, but it's not a factor while playing, in my experience.

Craig