IGNORED

Golf Channel Unveiling "Relaxed" Rules Of Golf

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't make fun, that wedge set is useless! It stops at 61!

Nice.  Though I will say I wouldn't mind a 15th club!  Driver, 3w, 5w/2h/2i, 3i through 47˚ PW, then 51˚, 55˚, and 60˚ wedges would be just fine by me!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why not just give him a scorecard and let him write 79 on it?  The really insidious thing about this is that they are looking at breaking 80 as some kind of accomplishment on the order of breaking 80 using the real rules.

Where I used to live there was a nearby executive length course (about 4500 yards, par 65) and when I hadn't played for a while and was starting up I would play at this course until I was able to break 80.  Then I would go back to my regular course and fight hard to break 90.  I would NEVER count one of those rounds on the short course in my personal list of best rounds.  I'd much rather shoot 88 on the full length course than 78 on the executive.

I also find the view of "fun" they promote a little strange.  To me there is tremendous fun in taking on a challenge and doing the best I can.  I do not see the "fun" in cutting corners and taking the easy way out in order to achieve a score I could never "really" shoot.

It's almost condescending. They seem to want to get those folks out of the way to make room for the real golfers. Charlie was big on the double par rule, dang near fell out of his chair explaining it. Of course he was overzealous with the knucklehead campaign too. Which honestly was a more realistic measure to improve the quality of golf for all. I still think the major issue is time and cost. The bogus rules won't making swinging a club well any easier. If golf is too hard for someone it's probably not a good game for them to take up.

Dave :-)

I agree with the relaxed rules, and have a personal tie as the main reason for it. I started playing the game at a young age with my brother and Dad. The three of us would go out on the course and play 9 holes (eventually moving on to 18, the local course was a 9-hole facility). None of us were real good, breaking 100 only occasionally, mostly playing to spend time with each other and have fun. After awhile, my brother quit golfing. It was too hard and he wasn't enjoying it. He was tired of spending time and money on a sport that requires you to be good. He'd slice a drive off the tee, and was then forced to hack it out of the rough to get it near the green and score a triple bogey. We never played in tournaments or competitions, simply for fun. What's wrong with these relaxed rules? They won't govern tournaments or competitions, and people have the option to play by them or not. I support them as a recreational golfer.

I agree with the relaxed rules, and have a personal tie as the main reason for it. I started playing the game at a young age with my brother and Dad. The three of us would go out on the course and play 9 holes (eventually moving on to 18, the local course was a 9-hole facility). None of us were real good, breaking 100 only occasionally, mostly playing to spend time with each other and have fun. After awhile, my brother quit golfing. It was too hard and he wasn't enjoying it. He was tired of spending time and money on a sport that requires you to be good. He'd slice a drive off the tee, and was then forced to hack it out of the rough to get it near the green and score a triple bogey. We never played in tournaments or competitions, simply for fun. What's wrong with these relaxed rules? They won't govern tournaments or competitions, and people have the option to play by them or not. I support them as a recreational golfer.

If your brother didn't want to hit out of the rough, why did he?  Just pull the ball out of all rough and hazards, and should a hazard be in the way, just pick up the ball and drop it on the other side.  You think other golfers would care?  Heck no.

Now, if he were trying to turn in a handicap or running around telling other golfers how badly he "beat" them, people are going to have an issue with that.  But if your brother wants to play with me, as far as I'm concerned, he can slice one into the woods off the tee and then go run up and drop it on the edge of the hole for a tap-in "eagle" or "albatross" all day long.  Won't bother me a bit.

It makes NO sense to create a set of rules for golfers who play their own rules already.

Nice.  Though I will say I wouldn't mind a 15th club!  Driver, 3w, 5w/2h/2i, 3i through 47˚ PW, then 51˚, 55˚, and 60˚ wedges would be just fine by me!

And the minute they let you have 15 you will be wanting 16. ;-)

Choosing to not play by the rules (in appropriate situations, i.e., not in tournaments or handicap rounds) is fine.  But if you aren't going to play by the real rules why is there any need for fake rules?  Just play the way you want.  You do not NEED relaxed "rules" to play in that manner.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Sounds like you and your dad were being jerks with your brother. Why not let the poor kid take a drop in the fairway? As you said, you're playing for anything but fun anyway.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/relaxed-rules-easing-and-adding-common-sense/

My 2 cents.

Here goes...

For all who play golf just to have fun, we offer 7 rules to govern all play.

1.    MAXIMUM SCORE Double par (i.e., 6 on par-3s, 8 on par-4s, 10 on par-5s). Fine with me if you are not playing stroke play competition, and if you have a HCP then you can pick up after the ESC max is reached (obviously conceding in match play)

2.    PENALTIES All are 1 stroke, including out-of-bounds, water and lateral hazards, lost balls and unplayable lies. Drop a ball near where the original was lost and play on. For the sake of speeding up play this is fine

3.    SEARCH TIME Two minutes to look for your ball. If lost, proceed under Rule 2. Makes sense for most courses.

4.    UNFORTUNATE LIES With your playing partners’ consent, balls may be dropped out of divots or footprints, away from tree roots and any other dangerous lies. I agree with dangerous lies but not the rest.

5.    CONCEDED PUTTS Putts may be conceded with your playing partners’ consent.  If you are playing a legitimate round (HCP entry) I would say concede nothing over 12 inches.  Actually, no concessions for formal rounds (unless match play, etc.)

6.    EQUIPMENT No restrictions, including number of clubs.  Disagree - 14 is a lot of clubs

7.    COMMON SENSE When in doubt, use common sense and fairness.

• Administrator
Choosing to not play by the rules (in appropriate situations, i.e., not in tournaments or handicap rounds) is fine.  But if you aren't going to play by the real rules why is there any need for fake rules?  Just play the way you want.  You do not NEED relaxed "rules" to play in that manner.

This is exactly what I thought this morning.

They had a segment where Ginella's ball moved on the putting green. Charlie called him names ("Nincompoop" or whatever they call Ginella in those segments) and told him to put it back, no penalty, because it was "common sense."

Uhm, okay.

They also implied - actually, I take that back - they flat out said that following the rules was "not fun."

Bullshit.

Stupidest thing I've seen about golf this month, possibly this year. (Somax videos excluded.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They had a segment where Ginella's ball moved on the putting green. Charlie called him names ("Nincompoop" or whatever they call Ginella in those segments) and told him to put it back, no penalty, because it was "common sense." Uhm, okay. They also implied - actually, I take that back - they flat out said that following the rules was "not fun." Bullshit. Stupidest thing I've seen about golf this month, possibly this year. (Somax videos excluded.)

Knucklehead! Ginella also concurred with a guy he was interviewing at the "relaxed rule" tournament who said he posts scores to his official USGA handicap when he plays this way. I posted a link above somewhere in the thread if you wanna see the evidence. @David in FL pointed out that they left unsaid that it leads to a vanity cap!!! Why would Golf Channel put their brand name on fake rules that they encourage people to use to post official handicap rounds? Certainly the USGA will squelch that. Agree people should play however they want when the rounds are not official, as long as etiquette and respect for the course and others around you are maintained. Official rounds? Not a chance. The whole idea that there should be no adversity on the course or that adverse bounces and lies are not "fun"- seems whiny to me. As others have said, that's part of the fun. But to each his own. You may have your reasons for wanting to play relaxed golf- go for it.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Some of the comments seem crazy. The main question I ask is how do we encourage beginners and build the game of golf? There is no question competition rules are different and result in higher scores. How do those rules encourage beginners and build the game. I love golf and I think all of you do too. How can we encourage new players and build up the game?

Some of the comments seem crazy. The main question I ask is how do we encourage beginners and build the game of golf? There is no question competition rules are different and result in higher scores. How do those rules encourage beginners and build the game. I love golf and I think all of you do too. How can we encourage new players and build up the game?

There's only one tried and true way - make it cheaper to play golf. :doh:

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

FWIW- Gary said today that they absolutely do not condone posting scores to your handicap using relaxed rules. Matt and Charlie agreed "emphatically." I think that stands in contrast to the linked video above, but they were quite clear today. Whew.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Not by dumbing down the game.  To me the very essence of golf is the challenge of overcoming adversity.  I do not think that many people will persist in golf as regular long term players who do not embrace that aspect of golf.  You may get people to try the game but it seems to me that a pretty small percentage of people are into being challenged these days.  Adversity is now something to be sidestepped not overcome.

"Competition" rules are harder?  Than what?  Playing with no rules?  Sure.  Playing with "relaxed rules?  See playing with no rules.

Unfortunately the message we are getting increasingly from the media and some others of those with an economic interest in the growth of the game is "we have to kill it to save it."  And ironically I do not think these relaxed "rules" will result in any increase in players.  The rules of golf are a great topic for griping, but their existence never stopped anyone, IMO, from trying the game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Not by dumbing down the game.  To me the very essence of golf is the challenge of overcoming adversity.  I do not think that many people will persist in golf as regular long term players who do not embrace that aspect of golf.  You may get people to try the game but it seems to me that a pretty small percentage of people are into being challenged these days.  Adversity is now something to be sidestepped not overcome.

"Competition" rules are harder?  Than what?  Playing with no rules?  Sure.  Playing with "relaxed rules?  See playing with no rules.

Unfortunately the message we are getting increasingly from the media and some others of those with an economic interest in the growth of the game is "we have to kill it to save it."  And ironically I do not think these relaxed "rules" will result in any increase in players.  The rules of golf are a great topic for griping, but their existence never stopped anyone, IMO, from trying the game.

The problem is today, the majority of people don't want to work to overcome adversity, they want it handed to them.  Little Leagues have to give "participation trophies" because kids that didn't win felt bad they didn't get a trophy.  Now people are proposing "relaxed" rules so they can boast they scored lower than they actually did while following the "rules", just don't ask what set of rules.   I played golf with a guy this week that told me he shot an 75 yesterday on the same course we were playing.  I questioned it since his swing wasn't close to being capable of shooting a 75 he then qualified it and said the 75 factored in his 25 handicap and 9 mulligans, so effectively he shot 109. :doh: He clarified that he submitted his score as 100, because "everyone he knows takes mulligans".  Another rule of his was if a putt stopped near the hole or passed close by the hole he counted it as a holed putt, not even as a gimme because the greens were not in perfect condition.

I wonder if relaxed rules are as big an issue in other parts of the world or just more evidence towards the "dumbing down" of Americans.

Joe Paradiso

To me, this seems like another Golf Channel gimmick --- like its recent feature story about courses with 15-inch holes -- just something to fill the time between Tiger Woods stories.

Regarding "unfortunate lies," the rule book already has a remedy for this -- it's called an "unplayable lie" -- one-stroke penalty. Ball between two rocks or up against a tree root? Don't risk damage to the club or your wrists -- take a one-stroke penalty and a drop.

Regarding conceded putts -- if I'm playing with someone I just met and they knock back to me a 1-foot putt -- a length I haven't missed since high school -- I have no problem counting that score for handicap purposes. It speeds up play and helps me avoid offending someone. However, if they knock back to me a three-foot downhill-sidehill putt, I'm going to replace the ball and putt out, even if it does annoy them.

Just my .02 worth.

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

Can we go back to the normal discussion about the golf channel which seems to center around who has the nicest tits? Isn't that what's important here?

—Adam

• 2 weeks later...
Can we go back to the normal discussion about the golf channel which seems to center around who has the nicest tits? Isn't that what's important here?

From what I've seen so far on GC, there's not much to discuss about in that regard either.  As for the proposed relaxed rules, I guess it is kind of odd to suggest a set of rules to obey if you don't want to play by THE RULES.

As a newbie, who is just learning how to hit the ball straight, the official PGA rules are pretty irrelevant.  The relaxed rules make sense for the non-pro/tournament/league player (like me) who is just out to have FUN on the golf course.  Worrying about overly complex rules of golf when just playing a round of recreational golf really makes no sense to me and just adds to the frustration of the game.

I'm still learning and haven't set foot on a fairway yet but, when I do (which I hope will be soon), I don't even plan to keep score.  Why bother?  I will know if I'm hitting the ball well and will know how many strokes I've played on each hole, which will probably be a lot of strokes when I first start.  Why put pencil to paper to document how poorly I play the game?

After I improve, which I expect will happen over time, I may start to keep score just to see how I measure up BUT I'll probably only abide by some form of the relaxed rules that are acceptable to me in order to keep the game FUN and enjoyable.

What others think really doesn't matter to me and whatever my handicap might be is entirely irrelevant, because I never plan to play competitive golf or gamble w/anyone that I am grouped with.  So, I never plan to pay any attention to the official rules, let alone the relaxed ones.

Move a ball if it's in a lousy lie, play another ball if I can't find mine, tee up the ball in the fairway if it will help me to hit it better?  All good to me, as long as I'm having fun playing the game and whatever my "score" is really doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

Relaxed rules of golf...

What about playing ready golf? RG dispenses with a lot of time-wasting ceremony. Is ready golf breaking the rules?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!