IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

22 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Good luck Dave, give the kids hell on the course.

He's a nice kid, I've played with him a couple of times.  I don't know how much match play they do in high school, I may have a better handle of that, but he's got game.  Did I mention, his dad is the defending club champ?  No matter what, I think we'll both have a good time.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

He's a nice kid, I've played with him a couple of times.  I don't know how much match play they do in high school, I may have a better handle of that, but he's got game.  Did I mention, his dad is the defending club champ?  No matter what, I think we'll both have a good time.

Always a good time.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

My League 3 day tournament was last weekend, Friday thru Sunday. We also had our weekly league round on Thursday, so it was four days of golf in a row. It didn't start off too well. I pulled a groin muscle on Thursday. Not sure how and that hasn't happened in 20 years.

Friday morning, I woke up with a sore throat. My wife had a cold the weekend before and like clockwork it hit me.  Great timing.  I drove to the course and wrapped my leg hoping the groin would hold together. It didn't.

First day was match play/Team Ryder Cup.  On the 3rd hole, long drive hole, the groin gave out.  I couldn't hit driver or even 5 wood after that. Somehow I got up +4 at the turn. I had to rethink how to play each hole. I had mapped it out with Google Earth as I had never played this course before. But the back nine had the longer holes and that left me at a disadvantage. We were all square on 18. I won the hole and got three points, but I also made the team match all square and got another point. 

Saturday my cold hit full force. It was stroke play with a team element. Our group won the team points. I was able to hit 5w, which helped. My short game helped too.

Sunday was a scramble with the top three in different groups. Still couldn't hit driver and I felt awful.  First hole, I chipped us close for a par. I wasn't helping much on driver holes, but par threes and shorter holes I was.  Second thru fourth, I putted for birdie. 5th, my chip got us close for a par.  6th, my best sand shot ever for an up and down par on a tough par 3 with huge deep bunkers. We were -5 at the turn.  I was reading all the putts using AimPoint and the reads were spot on.  We were scrambling well.

Back 9 was tougher, but we managed to only bogey one hole.  On the 18th, I read the putt and our first guy drained the 25ft birdie putt for a -5!  I lost by one. Oh well. Considering how I felt, that was better than expected.

I'm still sick as a dog. Ran a fever when I got home and missed work yesterday. I'm glad I went but wish I had felt better. It was fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Played in my state Mid Am. It's 18 holes of stroke play then top 32 move on to match play. Stroke play is immediately followed by the round of 32 matches. Course is 6800 yards par 71 George Cobb design with a 73.4/136 rating/slope.

Course had received a ton of rain the previous week and was pure slop. Guys were hitting it down the middle and the ball would just disappear. every approach shot was a mud ball. I had one ball with a ping pong ball sized mud gob hanging off the side. We should have played pick clean and place but did not. It felt way longer than 6800. There were 2 par 4s I could not reach easily so I mentally played them as par 5s.

In stroke play I fired a 76 which made me the 21 seed for the match play. I then proceeded to get throttled in my match 4&3. My opponent hit every fairway and 14/15 greens. The only green he missed was just a few steps short. I putted well in the match and forced him to make putts in the 5-7 foot range 6 times and he made everyone. 2 for wins and 4 for ties. The turning point was the only time my putting let me down. We were all square on #6 and I had a downhill left to right slider to win and stood up on it. Had less than 3' coming back read it right center firm and I don't know if it hit something or if i just lined up wrong but I almost missed the hole completely. I tied 7 then lost 8 because I chunked it out of a fairway bunker then shanked it into a greenside bunker and got up and down. 8 was his only missed green and I was away and made my bogey and he poured in a 6 footer to win. 9 was the same I made my putt and  he made his to win. 3 down we tie 10, 11, and 12. 13 was his first and only mistake. He three putted so I was 2dn. I made an unforced error on 15. pin was back right he had hit a poor approach and had about 40' I had 75 yards from the left center fairway tried to hit a low one hop and stop gap wedge. I could tell when I hit it my legs were out of gas. it landed on the front and took one hop and stopped about 60' short. I left my lag 10' short he lagged to 6" then I missed. 3dn going to 15 and he stuffed his approach.  I made a good effort at birdie but it just slid by on the high side. He poured his birdie in dead center. Game set match. 

• Upvote 1

In our clubs two-man progressive event, I play in both the regular men's and senior's men's division with different partners.

This past week, I had to play both matches in order to meet the deadline dates.

Both matches, were bizarre in the outcome as they were very competitive but in all my years, I've never played in any that played out to these results.

On Sunday, my partner and I devastated our opponents by winning the front 6 up and closed the match on hole 13. We completely dominated that day against very worthy opponents who were the defending champs.

Yesterday, was the complete opposite as the match was dead even until hole 13 when we finally went 1 up. The match ended on 17, with the win.

Onward into the final four next month in both divisions and against the other regional winners.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

On 8/18/2016 at 2:22 PM, Zekez said:

Got rained out after 4 holes so we have to play again next Wednesday. My opponent of the 13 handicap was on fire and was leading me 2.5 -1.5 when we had to quit.  He definitely wasn't hitting like a 13 handicap!

Played the match yesterday and lost 1 up.  Just too many strokes to give as i gave him a stroke on 8/9 holes.  I shot a 40 and he shot a 50, but he played good enough to win.  I missed a 6 foot slider on the last hole to tie.

Two shots he hit just doomed my chances:

(1) On a very difficult par 3 (160 yards) which has a very narrow green that's only about 15 feet deep and bunkers in front and in back.  And a green that slopes pretty hard back to front.  I hit first and hit a great shot about 15 feet right of the hole.  Now I'm up 3-2 at this point and it's sort of looking good.  He steps up and hits one about 12 feet from the hole!   He was even shocked, but he came through. Needless to say i had to birdie to just halve the hole which i didn't so the match was tied at 3.

(2) The very next hole he pushes his drive way right and is behind a clump of trees which are about 30 feet high and maybe 20 feet in front of him.  He says to me "I'm going to try and go over the trees, with a 7-iron!" and i think  "you're nuts"!  So of course he hits it directly into the tree in front of him and it goes straight through without touching a single leaf!! Unbelievable!!  I immediately thought that was a sign from the golf gods that today wasn't my day to win!! :)

The guy who beat me then went on to beat the top seed in the next round.  He's a playoff monster as he beat the #3 and #4 seed last year in the playoffs!

Edited by Zekez

Had the practice round today for my tournament that starts tomorrow.  Shot a 79.  Was -2 thru 2 holes.  

Got to hole 5 at -1 and pushed my drive right and into trees.  Nipped the last branch on a pine tree and my 2nd shot so it only went about 80 yards and right beside a tree.  Had to make the most upright swing I have ever made, ended up doubling the hole.  Hit a great distance drive on the next hole but missed the fairway left which is dead, luckily bogeyed the hole.  Birdied 8 and parred 9 for a 37 on the front. 

Started the back with 4 straight pars.  Bogeyed 14 because I missed a must hit fairway.  Bogeyed 15 and 16.  Got to 17 and crushed my driver but it drew about a little too far and went into the river, reteed because where I crossed would have only given me about 30 yards.  Ended up with a double on the hole.  

18 was the same story, felt like I hit a good drive, everyone said it looked great and then one of the guys says "hate to tell you this but it took a bad kick and went into the hazard.  Doubled that hole as well as I was pissed off my ball needed about 2 more yards of carry to be about 130 out and a perfect drive. 

Summary:

3 birdies - 3 doubles - 4 bogeys =  37-42- 79

Actual tournament starts tomorrow and I feel good about how I played for the most part today and am excited to tee off tomorrow 

17 hours ago, Grinde6 said:

Actual tournament starts tomorrow and I feel good about how I played for the most part today and am excited to tee off tomorrow 

73?  Nice playing if so.

Hope you make the cut!

John

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:15 PM, SG11118 said:

73?  Nice playing if so.

Hope you make the cut!

Haha, no...that wasn't me.  I shot an 89 on Friday which basically shot me out of the tournament.  Body was tight the whole round and seemed to be pulling everything.  Didn't feel comfortable over a single shot. 

Started out on hole 10 and hit a perfect 3 wood over the aiming tree, but it took a huge bounce and was under a tree on the left.  It was a 312 yard 3-wood.  Had to basically punch a PW about 80 yards and nothing stops on those greens.  I heard they were rolling between an 11 and 12 which is crazy fast.  Bogeyed my first hole, parred the next hole, and then doubled the par 3 12th because of a pulled 8 iron that for some reason went around 185 yards.  That's where the uncomfortable feeling started.  There is a lot of trouble left on a lot of the holes, so pulling the ball to the left sets up for a bad day...hence my 89.

Saturday was a bit of a different story...shot a 78 with still quite a few loose shots, but got a good warm-up session in before the round and felt pretty good.  Had about 6-7 good chances for birdie and didn't convert a single one of them.  I just could not get used to how fast the greens were and how to read the break based on the fast greens. 

There's always next year though.  I have my club championship in a couple weeks that I am looking for a turnaround at.  Final league day is tomorrow, otherwise probably wont touch my clubs for a full week for a little break, then back to the grind to get ready for the club championship.

• Upvote 1

Nice comeback at least.  Sounds like fun - except the part about being uncomfortable and pulling everything.

My club's invitational is this weekend.  Qualifier Friday for top 32.  18 hole match play to decide champ flite champion Saturday, Sunday, Monday.  Flights of 8 for non-qualifiers with separate Senior and Super-Senior divisions.  I've qualified 2 of the last 3 years, so hoping for 3 out of 4.

John

On 8/29/2016 at 5:00 PM, Grinde6 said:

Haha, no...that wasn't me.  I shot an 89 on Friday which basically shot me out of the tournament.  Body was tight the whole round and seemed to be pulling everything.  Didn't feel comfortable over a single shot. 

Started out on hole 10 and hit a perfect 3 wood over the aiming tree, but it took a huge bounce and was under a tree on the left.  It was a 312 yard 3-wood.  Had to basically punch a PW about 80 yards and nothing stops on those greens.  I heard they were rolling between an 11 and 12 which is crazy fast.  Bogeyed my first hole, parred the next hole, and then doubled the par 3 12th because of a pulled 8 iron that for some reason went around 185 yards.  That's where the uncomfortable feeling started.  There is a lot of trouble left on a lot of the holes, so pulling the ball to the left sets up for a bad day...hence my 89.

Saturday was a bit of a different story...shot a 78 with still quite a few loose shots, but got a good warm-up session in before the round and felt pretty good.  Had about 6-7 good chances for birdie and didn't convert a single one of them.  I just could not get used to how fast the greens were and how to read the break based on the fast greens. 

There's always next year though.  I have my club championship in a couple weeks that I am looking for a turnaround at.  Final league day is tomorrow, otherwise probably wont touch my clubs for a full week for a little break, then back to the grind to get ready for the club championship.

No way a 1.1 shot an 89!?!?!? The blasphemy.

I'm being sarcastic as I was flamed in a post about a 2 shooting an 88

• Upvote 4

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

3 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

No way a 1.1 shot an 89!?!?!? The blasphemy.

I'm being sarcastic as I was flamed in a post about a 2 shooting an 88

Haha!  I got it right away as I followed your thread.  Ya I was pretty upset with the score.  It was one of those rounds where I wasn't playing good so instead of playing the game I had for the day I was trying to fix it.  No good.  There was a pro that shot a 92, so for as upset as I was, he had to feel much much worse as he paid over triple what I paid to get in.

I know though, as a 1.1 I should never shoot anything more than +2 in around right?!? Hahah!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zekez said:

Dang I'm jealous of you guys that belong to a club and get to play in tournaments!! :)

With the exception of club championship, most of the events I play in are essentially open to any amateurs who want to play.  You may have to do a little searching, but I'm guessing there are similar opportunities in your region.     

John

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:57 PM, Golfingdad said:

Played in a member-guest with my father-in-law yesterday.  Didn't really expect much since I have never played all that well at his course and his game seems to be on a perpetual downward slide.  But sometimes funny things happen ...

After 3 bogeys in my first five holes, I expected nothing ... although my partner did pick me up on each of those holes for the team.  (We were -2 net at that time.)  Then I started to play well with back-to-back birdies on the next two holes.  Back-to-back birdies again a couple of holes later on 9-10 and we were now -7 after 12 holes (we started on hole 17).

After another team par on 12, I put myself in a good position to birdie 13, but my putt just missed.  However, my partner, who has a course handicap of 28, made a legit birdie on his own ball for a net albatross ONE on the hole.  I birdied the next hole, net birdied the following hole, and my partner did the same on 15.

It was at this point, on the tee of 16, our last hole, that our markers (good buddies of my father in law) decided to let us know how well we were playing.  We really had no idea because we weren't paying attention.  But they made sure that we knew that we were sitting at 22 for the back nine with only a short par 5 to play.  Just a par and we come home in 27 for a solid 58.  I hit a good drive but was unfortunate that it rolled right up next to a tiny (but not staked) tree on the left side of the fairway, leaving me no swing at the green.  I pitched out and then onto the green leaving myself with about 25' for birdie.  Father in law hit (for him) a good drive, then a solid hybrid, and then a fantastic hybrid that rolled right up the gut and onto the green, which we thought based on trajectory might have rolled off the back.

But we drove up and found him with only about 10' left for his second legitimate birdie of the day.  He nuzzled his putt up close and tapped in for another rare par, which became, with his two handicap strokes, a net eagle.

Over the last five holes, we were -8!  Final team score was a 56.  After a long wait through drinks and appetizers, dinner, raffle prizes, and the lower flights, we finally learned that we, in fact, won the A flight of the tournament!  With that comes a little cash, but the best part is we get our names on the big trophy that lives in their clubhouse trophy case year round.

Was a blast regardless, but winning made it even that much sweeter!  (So did the cheesecake dessert as well) :)

memberguest.JPG

Edit: (Oh, I almost forgot ... I shot ever par!  Not anything exceptional handicap/slope for that course-wise, but hey, it's still par!)

Ohh, you sandbagging son-in-law of a sandbagger!! lol! Nice round. 

I guess took him all these years to realize that his daughter didn't make a bad choice after all..:beer:

Speaking of sandbagging, last two blitzes at my club I cleaned out house with 28 and 30 points against quota of 22 built up by poor scores earlier this summer. Expecting a big correction in the quota at the next blitz.. ha ha!

• Upvote 2

Vishal S.

Played our summer fourball match last week, forgot to post.
Won 1 up, beat the last two retirees in the tournament.  Man could they chip and putt well.  Didn't hit it far, but they were always in the hole and with the strokes they were getting, made for a really tough match.
Shot 38-36-74 (3 birdies), my partner who is a 9 shot 78 and we barely won.  They made two 10 foot putts on 16 and 17, one to tie with a par and the other to win with a birdie.  Partner and I both made par on the last hole to win the match.
On to the Final 8.  :beer:
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Coming back in here to take my medicine for 2 awful rounds in my Club Championship. Last tournament, I shot even par for my lowest ever round. This time, I went 90 on the first day, 85 on the second day. Woof. Unfortunately, I got off to a terrible start with a quad bogey on the second hole after losing a ball (that the group behind me found ... ugh). I was just very inconsistent all weekend, and the par 3s ate me alive (I had a double, triple, and a quad on the par threes, and only 1 par). Day 2 I hit 9 GIR, which is slightly above average for me, but I had 4 3 putts.

The real bummer is that this is our last stroke play tournament of the year, so I don't really have a chance to go back out and play well in a stroke play tournament again. Oh well.

The positive was that I had 3 birdies over the weekend, and got three skins from that. I should have about $50 in skins money, so it wasn't a total waste.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 8/22/2016 at 0:47 PM, DaveP043 said:

I ran into Cord, said he is playing in the Championship Flight at your course but said that you all are playing with strokes? 

-Jerry