IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

10 minutes ago, lastings said:

Welp..   played in my first tournament.   A summer-long matchplay event at Chaska Town Course:  6,397 yds - 71.6/136

I was ousted in the first match 2&1.   We were both 12 handicaps, so no strokes given either way.   

The frustrating was that I birdied hole 13 to go 1 up.   Then on 14 (174 yd par 3), I stick my tee shot to about 12 ft.   he hits his tee shot left of the green.   really felt I was on my way to coasting in.   Then he hits a chip to about 1-inch. and I miss my putt.   so, still 1 up after 14.    on 15, I put my tee shot in the woods.  and end up double bogeying the hole.  he took it with a bogey.   now AS.  then on 16...   the dreaded shank!   literally hit my tee shot directly left into the woods 10 ft in front of me.   Amazingly, I re-tee.  hit a drive right down the middle, pitch to 10 ft and hit the putt for bogie (would've been birdie with the stupid shank.).   my bogie putt ends up meaningless, as he scored a par to go one up.   Then, I bogey 17 and he pars again to clinch it 2&1.   

pretty clear case of having the match in hand, but buckled under the pressure.   need more tournament experience under my belt. 

shot an 86, which wasn't a bad score on a tough course.  

Gotta love match play.  It ain't over til it's over. ;-) 

I have an 18-hole qualifier for our second match play tournament tomorrow.  Figure I'll need to shoot somewhere around 80 to make the 32 man cut.  We'll see...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Match Play qualifier at my club yesterday.  18 holes handicapped stroke play.  64 golfers cut to 32.  Shot 78 gross, 2 under net.  Good enough for 15th place.  

Fairly pleased with that, especially since I drowned my first approach shot of the day and made double.  Great way to start...  :~(    Got it together and finished with 13 pars and 4 bogies to go with the double.  One 3-putt, but otherwise very solid on and around the greens.

On to match play, which I always enjoy.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Match Play qualifier at my club yesterday.  18 holes handicapped stroke play.  64 golfers cut to 32.  Shot 78 gross, 2 under net.  Good enough for 15th place.  

Fairly pleased with that, especially since I drowned my first approach shot of the day and made double.  Great way to start...  :~(    Got it together and finished with 13 pars and 4 bogies to go with the double.  One 3-putt, but otherwise very solid on and around the greens.

On to match play, which I always enjoy.

2 under net is 15th place?! Wow, at most tournaments I've played in, that would definitely be top 5 or close.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

36 minutes ago, phillyk said:

2 under net is 15th place?! Wow, at most tournaments I've played in, that would definitely be top 5 or close.

32 man cut was +3.  5th place was -5 and -7 was T1.

Sandbaggin' SOB's! ;-) 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Played 18 in local Amateur circuit at Persimmon Woods GC. Course tough, but greens and tee boxes were excellent. Temperature 98*F, heat index 104.

Played terrible, but heat not to blame. Felt good through all 18, think I have hydration down pat.

Had three 8s on front, three putts on back. (started rushing putts on back after good putting - at least - on front).

One of those days when I wish I had just stayed home.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Playing B-Team interclub match on Saturday at Army Navy CC and A-Team interclub match at Washington Golf & CC on Sunday.  Busy match play weekend.

we are 5-0 for the B-Team and it's the first of our summer matches for A-Team

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Played my Club championship match play 2nd round match this week. Won my opponent 5/4 and I am going on to the 3rd Round. Whirlwind match, I was 3 up after 4 holes. Lost holes 6, 7 and 8, won the 9th. So 1 up after the front nine.

On the back nine I won holes 10, 12, 13, 14 and the match was over. Played solid, I was 4 over when the match ended. 

Edited by FinTurma
  • Upvote 2

First match play match today.  I got killed, 4 and 3.  The only time we were even was standing on the first tee.  :8)

My opponent, a 6 hcp, birdied the first hole and was off to the races from there.  When he finally ended my suffering, he was 4 over through 15 holes, with a triple bogey!

I didn't play horribly, just ran into a buzz saw.  

In David's bag....

Just completed the Men's City Championship.  Three days of stroke play with us losers flighted on the last day.  Very much "meh" results (84/86/84).  We had a lot of rain leading up to the event so a decently long course played that much longer.  A number of the par 4's were Driver/3-Wood/Wedge for me even if I hit my best shots.

I managed to accomplish my modest goals (keep it under 90 each day, finish in the top half [T45 out of a field of 96] and walk/carry the three days) but I was just happy it was over Sunday afternoon.  Time to start prepping for the Senior Championship.  

Brian Kuehn

Bleh, I blew a tournament on 18 yesterday. Still pissed about it.

I was +5 stepping up to 18, which is a fairly simple par 4. I drew my tee shot into a bunker on the left after hitting everything straight or with a slight fade all day. Normally not that big of a deal, but I had to stand with one foot in the bunker and one foot out of it. I thinned that shot over the green, it hit a cart path, and went OB. Next ball I hit a better shot, but then chunked my next shot and ended up carding an 8.

So I finished +9, 80 (posts as a 78, of course, so that's another bonus). Normal winning score for these events is somewhere between even par and +4. I figured I was probably not going to win it standing on 18 tee. But the winning score was +7. If I make a bogey, I win. Double gets me into a playoff. Ugh. I did take 3rd place and made some money, but man this stings. I went -1 on the front and +10 on the back. Really frustrating, because I hit the ball really well and only got in trouble on the last hole.

Playing in my match play semi final next Sunday. I really need to get this bad taste out of my mouth, ugh.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Starting our Club Championship Match Play tournament today.  We have a week to find a time that works for both of us to play, and tonight is the night we picked for our match.  Forecast is for 90* and 3-5mph winds, so its going to be hot and sticky.  The guy I am playing is a solid player, 2.3 handicap, so it should be a good match.  He and another guy jumped on with our group during men's league on Tuesday and played 11, 12, 13 with us where he went bogey, bogey, bogey and I went par, birdie, par...so hopefully that's an indication of how the match will go.  Just need to get up on him early and stay on the gas with smart plays...I am a longer hitter than he is, so he should be hitting his 2nd shot before I do most times so that should be a bit of an advantage. 

Shot 76-72 in a US Am qualifier last week. Obviously didn't make it but I'm pleased with the score. First individual medal play event in ten years and I carried my bag for 36 holes in 100 degree. Overall hit it well, putting sucked, happy with how I kept it in play since it seemed like there was trouble everywhere on the course.

Made a dumb triple in the first round. Hit driver on a hole that I didn't need to hit driver and pushed it a little into a bunker. The ball was against the lip so the ball was well below my feet and I was standing outside the bunker. Was just trying to chop it out to the front of the green. The club caught the lip, turned the club over and I hit it OB, a friggin gap wedge OB :~(

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Played the first round of our clubs Senior 2 Man yesterday against very good opponents and was able to advanced to the next bracket with a 2 & 1 win. There were 13 birdies recorded on the card through 17 holes. My partner made 4 and 3 were made by myself and our opponents.

With my best round this year, although I shanked an 8 iron into the pond which cost me a double, I had only one bogey with the 3 birds and rest were pars for an even par round.

Putting was solid, drove the ball well and approach shots were decent.
Had a few other opportunities to knock down other birds, but missed them.

My partner was solid with 1 under for the day.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Found out that someone needed a partner for my KHMA's Blackburn/Wagner event, a 2-man better ball, and signed up at the last minute. This will be my first competition of the year.

Turns out my partner is a scratch golfer. Should make for an interesting day if the weather cooperates. 

Edited by mcanadiens

Shot 68 in a tournament at our club today.  First time under 70 this year.  Could have easily been a 65 or 64.  Two bogeys on two of the easier holes and was burning the lip all day on my birdie putts.  I played a quick nine yesterday and made a slight change with the swing and it felt good on the course...especially the irons.

Really happy with where things are right now.  Hope I can keep it going.

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Played in the soup on the Kittyhawk Eagle Course (Dayton, OH) in the Kittyhawk Men's Association Blackburn-Wagner event. Shot 45-46-91 which is a really solid score for me considering I was playing from the whites (6713 yards, 71.9 CR, 125 SL).

This was a 2-man better ball and my partner was apparently a scratch that shot an 88. Needless to say we were nowhere near the top. I did, however, win back my entrance fee with a skin on No. 1. My partner is apparently someone better know to certain members as I later learned. Fella really did have a shoulder injury that he isn't really recovered from. Hit his tee shots like a Mack Truck on the front nine and struggled on the back. Didn't make any putts and had a bad day.

The funny thing was that he insisted on riding alone in his own cart. Had a ton of stuff packed into it. I couldn't have sat in it if I wanted. A staff member came out and talked to him in the middle of the 1st fairway. He threatened to leave and they relented.

Either way, it didn't bother me. I'm feeling pretty good with how things are going. Nice competition ahead of the club championship.

Edited by mcanadiens

Couples Championship starts at 2 pm today, going to be a hot and long round of golf.  Hope the good play continues.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Played in a 27-hole tournament at my club yesterday. Each nine is a different format, scramble, better ball and scotch. We finished 3rd which was pretty good considering we basically didn't get any shots (we got .5 shot total for all 3 nines). My partner was a guy that's won the club championship 11 times, he's transitioning more towards senior golf now and is still very steady. 

It was a good format for us because we both hit a lot of fairways so we were both "in" on most of the holes. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram