IGNORED

2014-2015 NHL Season

iacas
Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No. Per the rules, they were penalties. That the refs didn't call them doesn't change that.

Maybe in how you interpreted the rules but the officials apparently interpreted them differently and their interpretation is what goes in the box score.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Maybe in how you interpreted the rules but the officials apparently interpreted them differently

Ummmm, no. The refs are not infallible. Kronwall was suspended yet not penalized.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Kind of veering off topic here but I'm watching the Erie vs. Sault Ste Marie game right now. McDavid is insane. Nurse is a really solid defenceman (fun fact: I played Nurse 4 years ago when he played in the GTHL). If the Oilers are close to last place again next year they should burn down the arena.

Kind of veering off topic here but I'm watching the Erie vs. Sault Ste Marie game right now. McDavid is insane. Nurse is a really solid defenceman (fun fact: I played Nurse 4 years ago when he played in the GTHL). If the Oilers are close to last place again next year they should burn down the arena.

They kind of are. Edmontonians shelled out for a brand new arena in the downtown core to be opened after next season. This will be the end of the Oilers at Rexall place. I think Nurse will probably need a year playing in the AHL before he makes the big club. I'm just hoping that Chiarelli has a better plan for developing players than previous management did.

Corey

• Administrator
No one is but that's OT, IMO.

It's not OT. Eichel will be better than McDavid in the end. And I'm in Erie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They kind of are. Edmontonians shelled out for a brand new arena in the downtown core to be opened after next season. This will be the end of the Oilers at Rexall place. I think Nurse will probably need a year playing in the AHL before he makes the big club. I'm just hoping that Chiarelli has a better plan for developing players than previous management did.

I think Nurse is ready to play in the NHL. In fact, I think he may win rookie of the year next season. Wild prediction, but I think he's that good.

The fallibility of the NHL referees is OT in the NHL thread??? Color me perplexed.

I didn't say NHL officials are not infallible was OT. I said no one being infallible is OT.

Christian

I think Nurse is ready to play in the NHL. In fact, I think he may win rookie of the year next season. Wild prediction, but I think he's that good.

That is a pretty wild prediction. Nurse has to be the next Bobby Orr if he's going to win rookie of the year on a poor possession, poor defensive team. He's going to spend a lot of time in his own zone.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

He played a handful of games at the beginning of the year, and didn't look any worse than the 'NHL calibre' defense corps the Oilers dressed. Of course, when you play with superstars such as Keith Aulie and Andrew Brad Ference, that's not saying much.

Corey

Well shoot. Maybe I'm the only one that sees that differently. 2-minute charging penalty. That's it.

He went out of his way to hit the player and lifted his front skate as he went into the hit. That's good enough for a minor in my book, but no suspension.

It seems like anytime someone gets hit hard anymore, half of everyone screams for a ban. Sure the concussion issues are having an effect. Maybe we just don't have the appetite for violence that we used to. Maybe hockey is just too violent a sport for some people.

Playoff hockey is officiated completely different than regular season hockey with the intent to minimize the impact the referees have on the outcome of a game but I think the lack of calls impacts the game more.  The Islanders lost Lubomir Visnovsky in game 4 for the rest of the series due to a questionable hit by the Caps.  Visnovsky had a history of concussions and the Islanders defense was depleted prior to the game which makes the hit seem even more pre-meditated.  Statements made in the post game press conference by Caps players supported the cheap shot by stating that if Visnovsky is out for the rest of the series it was a "good penalty to take".

Joe Paradiso

Well shoot. Maybe I'm the only one that sees that differently. 2-minute charging penalty. That's it.

He went out of his way to hit the player and lifted his front skate as he went into the hit. That's good enough for a minor in my book, but no suspension.

It seems like anytime someone gets hit hard anymore, half of everyone screams for a ban. Sure the concussion issues are having an effect. Maybe we just don't have the appetite for violence that we used to. Maybe hockey is just too violent a sport for some people.

Considering the politics of sports in situations like this, I'd venture a guess that the fact that they missed the penalty call on the ice is why the suspension was levied.  I'd bet (I'm not a gambler - so a tiny amount of money) that if they gave him the correct penalty immediately, then there would have been no suspension, and likely even no review.

The suspension is just as much a referendum on the refereeing as it is punishment for the player.

Considering the politics of sports in situations like this, I'd venture a guess that the fact that they missed the penalty call on the ice is why the suspension was levied.  I'd bet (I'm not a gambler - so a tiny amount of money) that if they gave him the correct penalty immediately, then there would have been no suspension, and likely even no review. The suspension is just as much a referendum on the refereeing as it is punishment for the player.

I'd bet that you guessed right. They've actually cited whether or not a penalty was called during the game, as well as whether or not someone was injured by the plays in question as reasons for or against suspension.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Wow. Tampa should not have won that game. They were outshot, out-chanced, and outplayed. Unfortunate for Detroit.

Detroit failing to score when they were dominating in the second period really hurt them. I'd imagine TB felt really good after two periods to not be losing. I'll be rooting for TB next round.

Christian

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!