IGNORED

BIg Break Myrtle Beach (Fall 2014 Golf Channel)

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed. There was no water to carry, and it wasn't even that risky of a shot for a guy at that level. But considering the circumstances, it was so unbelievably unnecessary - it was just a really really dumb decision.

Anthony's shot, I don't really know. Did he hit it right where he aimed and didnt know about the water? Did he pull it? It was either a horrible shot OR a horrible decision.

I would have preferred Emily v. Jimmy, but it'll still be interesting. At least it's two people playing the same tees. ;)

I guess I misunderstood the circumstances because I thought his option was to lay up in front of the water or try to carry it.   If he just mishit it then I'm confused why both he and Jimmy mentioned that had Toph had his caddie he'd have not attempted that shot.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I misunderstood the circumstances because I thought his option was to lay up in front of the water or try to carry it.   If he just mishit it then I'm confused why both he and Jimmy mentioned that had Toph had his caddie he'd have not attempted that shot.

Because it was a stupid shot to attempt. Water all down the left side, 220 or so yards to reach the green, and a 2 shot lead. He could have hit a 9 iron up in the fairway, taken the water out of play, and would have had no trouble making a par and ending it.

Because it was a stupid shot to attempt. Water all down the left side, 220 or so yards to reach the green, and a 2 shot lead. He could have hit a 9 iron up in the fairway, taken the water out of play, and would have had no trouble making a par and ending it.

Exactly -  Risk vs reward

He had no need to take that particular risk since the reward was already in hand (due to a 2 stroke lead).

2 strokes is really important in this scenario

2 stroke lead? - lay up - doesn't matter what Emily does - make her earn an eagle to tie

1 stroke and you confirm she has a crappy stance.....lay up

1 stroke and you 'think' she has a low iron to the green - decide if you are hitting long club straight today

even and you confirm she has a crappy stance - decide if you are hitting long club straight today

even and you 'think' she has a low iron to the green - swing away

Bill - 

Best I can tell, these were Anthony's and Chris-er's shots on the final hole.  Was Anthony unaware of the massive body of water??? It looks like he was surprised it was wet.

Some quotes I jotted down from Anthony:

"all in favor of Anthony Quezada"

"i have no doubts in my game.. i feel like my golf game is bulletproof"

"there's no way i'm gonna let some chump person bring any fear to me"

"i don't have anything to prove to these guys. they know i'm better than them"

"im winning every time i wake up in the morning"

"i don't care how great i am, this is going to require everything that i have"

"being the showman that i am, beating him like a bad habit is gonna make me look good"

Finally after that shot above in red:

"i lost it. i just threw it away.  The best player here and I threw it away."

I'll miss Anthony in the finale! Jimmy has certainly gotten the breaks, and hasn't earned much on his own. But hey, sometimes it just takes luck. He's probably the better of the two anyway, but still, it was Anthony's to lose until that bad shot.

I can't stand Anthony. And if he is the best on the show, I have no idea how they choose their people but I would love to get on the show if that was the case: http://egolfgateway.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/tarheel14/event/tarheel1419/contest/1/contestant/121/scorecard.htm

That was last week- 73-77?

I don't think these guys are all that good, I think that personality has mostly to do with it. There are usually one or two VERY good golfers from what I have noticed though.

Great link to the 6 December tournament.  Funny to read the quotes above that he made, and then compare to the actual results like a Missed Cut for Anthony.

I see Jimmy played that tourney too and made the cut.

http://egolfgateway.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/tarheel14/event/tarheel1419/contest/1/contestant/20/scorecard.htm

Jimmy shot 71-71-74-74 for 52nd place.  Were any of the 51 ahead of Jimmy interested in Big Break? Seems like they aren't picking guys who are necessarily on the verge of making it on tour.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Best I can tell, these were Anthony's and Chris-er's shots on the final hole.  Was Anthony unaware of the massive body of water??? It looks like he was surprised it was wet.

Some quotes I jotted down from Anthony:

"all in favor of Anthony Quezada"

"i have no doubts in my game.. i feel like my golf game is bulletproof"

"there's no way i'm gonna let some chump person bring any fear to me"

"i don't have anything to prove to these guys. they know i'm better than them"

"im winning every time i wake up in the morning"

"i don't care how great i am, this is going to require everything that i have"

"being the showman that i am, beating him like a bad habit is gonna make me look good"

Finally after that shot above in red:

"i lost it. i just threw it away.  The best player here and I threw it away."

I'll miss Anthony in the finale! Jimmy has certainly gotten the breaks, and hasn't earned much on his own. But hey, sometimes it just takes luck. He's probably the better of the two anyway, but still, it was Anthony's to lose until that bad shot.

Great link to the 6 December tournament.  Funny to read the quotes above that he made, and then compare to the actual results like a Missed Cut for Anthony.

I see Jimmy played that tourney too and made the cut.

http://egolfgateway.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/tarheel14/event/tarheel1419/contest/1/contestant/20/scorecard.htm

Jimmy shot 71-71-74-74 for 52nd place.  Were any of the 51 ahead of Jimmy interested in Big Break? Seems like they aren't picking guys who are necessarily on the verge of making it on tour.

I could actually see some pros not wanting to do Big Break to be honest. I mean I am sure someone in the top 51 would do it, but they may see it as a gimmick. I like Jimmy a lot and the guy he took out before Anthony was the other golfer I thought was really good.. I think he was from Atlanta? I didn't watch all of the show. A couple of years ago I quit watching because they had some guy that putted from like 60 yards out every time and then another guy who liked to run and golf. If you are a female and cute and can shoot 80 you get on and then they have two or three with some solid golf resumes who usually always make it to the finals. The rest have an interesting back story and want to turn pro.

I don't know how long it takes to tape the show, but if you're really serious it's probably not worth the time away from practice unless you win the whole thing.

I think Anthony knew there was water, because right after he hit it he said essentially "Carry! boy I don't know if it has enough"

• Administrator

I don't know how long it takes to tape the show, but if you're really serious it's probably not worth the time away from practice unless you win the whole thing.

I think Anthony knew there was water, because right after he hit it he said essentially "Carry! boy I don't know if it has enough"

About 10 days.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What I'd like to know is...how can a ceegar company shell out all that money..? Do they seriously sell that many ceegars..?  Just seems odd to me.

Oh, and Go Jimmy.. :-D

Oh, and Go Jimmy..

Yah, I gotta pull for Jimmy. He's pretty calm can cool player. In his tourney this past weekend ( http://egolfgateway.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/tarheel14/event/tarheel1419/contest/1/contestant/20/scorecard.htm ), the guy was -2 after 3 1/2 rounds... then he gets an 11 on the par 5 10th hole.  From his subsequent scores, he didn't seem to be rattled, because he finished up the final 8 holes of the tourney at -2, to finish at +2 overall. I don't play tournament golf, but I'd imagine many people would not finish those final 8 holes as strong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I forget where I heard that likely Toph was unaware that Emily had an awkward stance. He was apparently thinking (if you look at the photo of the hole above), that she had a mid-iron into the green. The ladies tees and her length made that hole play like a basic par 4.  But even so, he should've made her get that eagle though. I agree.  He did say repeatedly at the start of the show that he got no sleep the night before. He was running on fumes and maybe judgment impaired. I don't know how well anyone can play with no sleep.

You might be right. I was thinking he just pulled it left, now that I see the hole layout. The smart play was to go way right of where he hit it (if you look at overhead pic of hole above). And he was pulling it way left in that competition off the tee (except on the par 3 hole), so maybe he was just trying to play it off like he meant to hit it on that line.  If he did mean to hit it on that line, the distances didn't add up. They give the players those Bushnell range finders, so he ought to have known that a solid iron from that spot would've landed in the middle of that pond. And it sure seemed like he hit it solid and it found the exact middle of that water. Doubt that was a distance miscalculation.

Here's a good interview with Anthony after being booted. Carolin even comes in to say hi and sorta confront him about why he despised her so much.  I haven't watched it all, but did catch a few funny moments.  Anthony seemed ill-at-ease about discussing his behavior, which surprised me. The hosts and producer were pretty direct, but Anthony didn't seem like he wanted to go into why he behaved like he did.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/big-breakdown-episode-10-carolin-confronts-anthony/

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Chriser just out drove Jimmy on MD. 279 on the simulator. Jimmy wins the game by almost holing out on the closest to the pin challenge.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the finale yet....don't click this post :surrender: I'm glad Jimmy took "Bub" down. He has a solid swing and if he could get his putting nerves under control he'd be a super tough competitor. He had a lot more distance off the tee than I thought. On a 505yd par 5 he only had 199 left on his 2nd shot...real easy tempo and good balance. Thought it was a decent finale. Made me realize how much nerves come into play. Overall an interesting season. Some good players for sure. Looking forward to see how Jimmy does at Valhalla in 2015. That Emily chick is super talented too...hope she moves forward in her career. Anthony?...well I hope I don't run into him at any courses in LA/OC lol

Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the finale yet....don't click this post

I'm glad Jimmy took "Bub" down. He has a solid swing and if he could get his putting nerves under control he'd be a super tough competitor. He had a lot more distance off the tee than I thought. On a 505yd par 5 he only had 199 left on his 2nd shot...real easy tempo and good balance.

Thought it was a decent finale. Made me realize how much nerves come into play. Overall an interesting season. Some good players for sure. Looking forward to see how Jimmy does at Valhalla in 2015. That Emily chick is super talented too...hope she moves forward in her career. Anthony?...well I hope I don't run into him at any courses in LA/OC lol

Valhalla?  I think you mean Valspar Championship. :-P Regardless, it was an entertaining finale, sort of.  Jimmy played great tee to green but putted horrendously.  Toph just isn't very good.

They played a short course.  A combination of the Black and Platinum tees (and in some cases the white, like the 505 yd par 5 7th) so it would have totalled somewhere in the 6500 yard range at most.  And by my count, Jimmy shot par through 17 holes and Toph was +4.

Anyways ... kinda glad this season is over. ;)

I thought watching Anthony on the bench was hilarious. Tapping his foot, sunglasses on, not talking to anybody, not clapping, you could just tell that it was killing him to not be out there playing. The finale would have definetly been more interesting with him in it.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

This is probably the 6th or 7th season of Big Break that I've watched. It is without a doubt the least memorable season of all the seasons I've watched. I will remember four people: Charlie (he blew it); Christian (his background story was the best); Anthony (his cockiness); and Jimmy (survived and somehow won).

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

Jimmy has a good swing.  I wish I could hit GIR and Fairways that good.

Too bad his putting was twitchy.  I can see putting just like that when I go play golf alone.

Get it under control and there's good potential there.

Toph's scrambling - pretty entertaining, but a guy can only keep that up for a few holes before it starts to fall off...

This season I vote an ENTHUSIASTIC "meh"

Bill - 

Aside from Anthony almost no drama this season which depending on your viewpoint was good or bad.  If there isn't going to be any in house drama the golf needs to be really good and imo it wasn't.  Toph struggled with his drives and Jimmy with his putter.  If either was playing Emily she would have destroyed them unless her nerves got to her.

I'll watch next season because I'm addicted to golf not because this season was great.

Joe Paradiso

Not sure the final interests me enough to watch. That's a problem for the BB brand cuz I like the show. Sounds like a lackluster Jimmy performance won in a fairly non-dramatic fashion. Meh. The finale needed two rivals, not friends. Bring on the next set of big breakers. And bring Anthony back if we can't get the quality matches we wanna see. Need the drama from somewhere.

My Swing

And bring Anthony back if we can't get the quality matches we wanna see. Need the drama from somewhere.

How about Anthony vs. Mary from BB Florida? That might produce some drama.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 3354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!