IGNORED

Will Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

MS256
Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will spreading of Ebola become a big problem in the United States?

• No.
    • Yes.

1. Ebola

2. Liberalism

These are the main two deadly diseases we have to worry about now. can't predict the future like some

My statement is no more ridiculous than the what if your daughter was trapped scenario.

What if the person with ebola that some are not wanting to restrict coming into the country was going to come in contact with THIER daughter ?

:doh:

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My concern with (what i understand to be) the current screening methods is that it only catches people who are presently contagious, not those in the incubation stage.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

My concern with (what i understand to be) the current screening methods is that it only catches people who are presently contagious, not those in the incubation stage.

Bingo !!!! We have a winner !!!

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Just heard that Frontier Airlines is reaching out to not only the passengers on the flight with the nurse that tested positive for Ebola but also to all of the passengers on 6 other flights that flew on the same airplane after the nurses flight.  The plane has been grounded until it can be properly cleaned.

I guess there is more to the concerns about the virus living on surfaces than we were initially led to believe.

Joe Paradiso

Exactly.

Everyone else is pretty much told that if they develop any symptoms (fever, nausea, headache) that they should drop everything and rush to the nearest hospital.....presumably taking care (somehow) to ensure that they haven't infected anyone else along the way.

That just doesn't sound like a very solid plan to me.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Please lighten up and stop going OT with political rhetoric.  This thread is about ebola.  You continually try to conduct a political argument in every thread you enter regardless of topic.

I was lightning up, that was a joke. Don't really know how to address your statement. Must be OK for some to go political and not OK for some. But I can work on that

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

1. Ebola

2. Liberalism

These are the main two deadly diseases we have to worry about now. can't predict the future like some

My statement is no more ridiculous than the what if your daughter was trapped scenario.

What if the person with ebola that some are not wanting to restrict coming into the country was going to come in contact with THIER daughter ?

Yeah, you should probably just stop talking.  If you had been paying attention, you'd have known that my "ridiculous hypothetical" about a family member in Africa wasn't even a hypothetical at all.

Caring about everyone equally is scary.  The fact that my first responsibility is to my family, doesn't mean that I don't care about others.  The fact that I want to protect/defend my country first, doesn't mean that I don't care about other people in other lands.  But equally......nope, not me.  Not even close.

Did I say equal?  (Not a rhetorical, I very may well have)  I guess I don't mean quite equal.  I know I said 2

I would be very concerned about my daughter.

Concerned, but still of the opinion that she should stay in Africa for awhile longer instead of come home?

But......and you're either missing, or ignoring the point that I've made a number of times now.....individual cases such as the odd stranded traveler are much easier to address, monitor, and handle in a safe, prudent manner than an open floodgate.  I'd simply like to see the floodgate closed.

Nope, not missing, nor ignoring.  In fact, you just used the PERFECT dam :-P analogy to explain my side of this.  If you close the floodgates, the water is not going to give up trying to get through to the river.  It's getting there by whatever means it can, which now means up and over, and around the dam, taking how knows how many houses or trees or cars along with it.  And guess what?  It's still going to find it's way back into that riverbed, except now the fish have more things to worry about than just other fish ... they have debris coming at them.  It makes more sense to me to keep the gates slightly open, thus controlling the flow of the water.

All I'm saying is that the experts I've heard explain why it makes more sense to not restrict travel make a lot of sense to me.  And the experts saying otherwise I haven't heard yet.  I've only heard you say that they are out there, and that they are vehement. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Please lighten up and stop going OT with political rhetoric.  This thread is about ebola.  You continually try to conduct a political argument in every thread you enter regardless of topic.

I was lightning up, that was a joke. Don't really know how to address your statement. Must be OK for some to go political and not OK for some. But I can work on that

I already put up a warning earlier for everyone to lighten up.

Let's all keep cool about this.  It is getting a bit heated in this thread.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah, you should probably just stop talking.  If you had been paying attention, you'd have known that my "ridiculous hypothetical" about a family member in Africa wasn't even a hypothetical at all

Hmm, can't disagree without taking it personal huh. Here is where I blow holes in your statement.

You asked another poster "what if " his daughter was trapped in a country where there was an Ebola outbreak.

That IS a hypothetical scenario.

Now lets address your original statement, you talked about some family members traveling to Africa. Think you said you wouldn't want them trapped in a country with an Ebola outbreak. Did they get trapped in Africa in a country with an Ebola outbreak ? NO

Then this too IS a Hypothetical scenario.

Now who needs to quit talking ?

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Yeah, you should probably just stop talking.  If you had been paying attention, you'd have known that my "ridiculous hypothetical" about a family member in Africa wasn't even a hypothetical at all

Hmm, can't disagree without taking it personal huh. Here is where I blow holes in your statement.

You asked another poster "what if " his daughter was trapped in a country where there was an Ebola outbreak.

That IS a hypothetical scenario.

Now lets address your original statement, you talked about some family members traveling to Africa. Think you said you wouldn't want them trapped in a country with an Ebola outbreak. Did they get trapped in Africa in a country with an Ebola outbreak ? NO

Then this too IS a Hypothetical scenario.

Now who needs to quit talking ?

They were in Nigeria this summer.  Nigeria is/was one of the countries that had an outbreak.  The only thing "hypothetical" about this situation was me pondering if the outbreak happened a couple months before it did.

There is nothing "ridiculous" about that.  It is entirely plausible.

They were in Nigeria this summer.  Nigeria is/was one of the countries that had an outbreak.  The only thing "hypothetical" about this situation was me pondering if the outbreak happened a couple months before it did.

There is nothing "ridiculous" about that.  It is entirely plausible.

In my original statement I was trying to say that anyone could come up with "what if's" to make their arguments sound better. It was not anything personal at you DAD. David in FL can disagree with someone and make it sound nicer than anyone I have come across. When people read my typed arguments and opinion it must sound like fingernails on a chalk board. LOL

Just not very good at getting my point across

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Current update about the 2nd infected nurse is that she was running a low grade fever when she got on the plane, so it's very possible she was contagious.  This explains Frontiers actions to not just seek out the passengers on her flight but also anyone that might have come into contact with surfaces she's touched from six other flights on the same plane.  While I applaud Frontier for doing the right thing, what about the people in the airports that she was at?

She was a nurse, knowingly exposed to Ebola, running a fever and got onto a plane with other passengers.  NBC's medical correspondent and staff who were under voluntary quarantine for 21 days after exposure to Ebola decided to break quarantine to get some fast food and were now placed under mandatory quarantine.  How is it that medically trained individuals are putting others at risk of infection but we believe the general population will do the right thing?

Joe Paradiso

Current update about the 2nd infected nurse is that she was running a low grade fever when she got on the plane, so it's very possible she was contagious.  This explains Frontiers actions to not just seek out the passengers on her flight but also anyone that might have come into contact with surfaces she's touched.

She was a nurse, knowingly exposed to Ebola, running a fever and got onto a plane with other passengers.  NBC's medical correspondent and staff who were under voluntary quarantine for 21 days after exposure to Ebola decided to break quarantine to get some fast food and were now placed under mandatory quarantine.  How is it that medically trained individuals are putting others at risk of infection but we believe the general population will do the right thing?

This has been my point exactly

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

When people read my typed arguments and opinion it must sound like fingernails on a chalk board. LOL

LOL. I have the same problem.

Sometimes people even disagree vehemently with me and say the same thing that I just said. ;-)

And forget about saying anything tongue in cheek. :surrender:

LOL. I have the same problem.

Sometimes people even disagree vehemently with me and say the same thing that I just said.

And forget about saying anything tongue in cheek.

I have slowly figured that out

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

It's all political. The lefties in here completely buy everything our government is broadcasting and approve of the moves they've made on this issue. The righties are skeptical of everything the government says and does. Not sure why there is controversy about that. The good news is the general public is not following that form as the vast majority are in favor of a travel ban. Get it done Obola.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!