IGNORED

Fred Couples on Tom Watson, the Ryder Cup and the PGA Task Force

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tim Rosaforte reports many fun Couples quotes but the one that stands out is the assertion that Tom Watson just was more fighter than lover as a leader, and that didn't work.

Couples also suggests he's heard from most or all of the team and they want him as Captain in 2016, but as Couples notes, “You know, I’m not a PGA of America guy.”

http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/20141103/?pg=20±=1&u1;=friend#pg20

Also on Instagram

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Keegan Bradley should focus more on getting back on the team and just playing better all around, rather than who the captain is.

Michael

Players need to be very careful about lobbying for captains, and similarly, whoever is managing this process (is anyone?) needs to deter players from doing so.

Europe's faced this in the past and quickly moved to prevent it gathering steam as it becomes incredibly devisive and disruptive. It's only a matter time before rival camps emerge and you start to naturally splinter your team. The first job an incoming captain has then is to unite those players who didn't endorse him. It's no way to start off! and even if they put the public spin on things about everyone pulling toegther and the BS that goes with these sorts of unconvincing veneers, the fault line is there,. and it doesn't take much to open it up. You know as a captain who in your team didn't want you, (same in any sport) and similarly as a player it can't make for a comfortable environment. Once players get invited into this level of selection it becomes receipe for cronyism and players only become emboldened to keep flexing their views. Players should play. They aren't selectors. Players that think they're captains are only likely to become distracted and problems further down the road

Interestingly, the Sunday papers carried a Luke Donald interview this weekend. The contrast between himself and Dufner was revealing. Luke admitted to being very jealous watching the television, but also said he couldn't tear himself away even if he found it very painful to watch. He said he'd sent his good wishes in to the team, and texted McGinley (something McGinley said he was grateful for). You can see looking at Luke's twitter feed that he was engaged. The reason for mentioning this though is because what he choked off confiding about Bradley. Apparently the two are members of the same club, and whereas Luke wouldn't divulge what Keegan has subsequently told him, or offer any comment on what America needs to do, he did say that it didn't think he was breaching any confidence by saying that the American team wasn't particularly united nor functioning as a unit

I'm really not sure what Couples means when he says " I’m not a PGA of America guy". He doesn't like the culture of the organization, the guys that run it or does he feel a captain is expected to "lead" a certain way?

Mike McLoughlin

I'm really not sure what Couples means when he says "[COLOR=222222]I’m not a PGA of America guy". He doesn't like the culture of the organization, the guys that run it or does he feel a captain is expected to "lead" a certain way?[/COLOR]

Could it be that he knows/thinks that the PGA of America doesn't like him? That's kind of how I read it (mind you, with no knowledge whatsoever).

Could it be that he knows/thinks that the PGA of America doesn't like him? That's kind of how I read it (mind you, with no knowledge whatsoever).

Maybe, I don't know about his history with the PGA of America.

Mike McLoughlin

I'd be inclined to read the comment as suggetsing that no one at the PGA has ever spoken to him about Ryder Cup and he's assuming therefore that he's on the outside 'not one of them'. It sounds a little bit like one of those protest statements that frustrated people make from time to time when looking for an explanation and trying to provoke a reason against a wall of silence. The description 'Lil girl' might even spring to mind. Mind you, when he calls into question the whole legitimacy of the PGA's task force (has he not been following the reuslts since 2000?) then perhaps it's not difficult to see why the PGA might not regard him as one of the family

Mildly amused to see the comment attached to Mickelson however. A few weeks ago Azinger was his man, it would appear that he's performed another about turn (if Couples is to be believed). I think in fairness Mickelson might have said "we need someone like Paul Azinger" (or words to that effect)

Ryder cup task force........kind of joke don't you think?

Agreed. All of the recriminations, revelations, soul searching and over analysis since the cup I find quite farcical. It's my first year following the world of golf this closely. Will this keep on going until the next cup?

I'm really not sure what Couples means when he says "I’m not a PGA of America guy". He doesn't like the culture of the organization, the guys that run it or does he feel a captain is expected to "lead" a certain way?

which begs the question, what does the PGA do???  I know what they were set out to do, but what do they do today in realistic terms or description???

Perhaps Couples sees right through it as a bunch of empty suits?

I think if I were Couples, if offered, that I would turn the job down. :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I do not think the PGA needs to reinvent the wheel with this "Task Force."

Look at the system that Team Europe developed - consistent vice captains, assistants, former captains etc, that go up the ladder to see if they have the "stuff", and then tweak it - to make it our own.

You might also identify players. For example, to pair people, they might develop a POD with the use of personality tests; they might have a group of 24 players whom they identified as having the most potential of making the team, and have them play practice rounds together; have drinks together, get to actually know one another... develop a team.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Couples is a laid back guy who seems to have always just wanted to play golf. He doesn't usually get involved in the politics of the game. I think that's what he means.

The US Ryder Cup situation appears to be a train wreck from the point of both organization and frankly, at the moment, talent.

The organization appears to be in a state of disarray and players feel free to criticize captains, both past and mostly present as well as the organization itself.

As for the talent side of the ledger; frankly the Euros have a far more talented, and perhaps most importantly MOTIVATED cadre ...they are vastly more successful at working as a TEAM and everyone  takes the Ryder Cup extremely seriously and considers it the biggest moment of the golf season. In sharp contrast, the US squad doesn't even fly to Scotland as a team as Mickelson takes his private jet......that alone says much about the "unity" and chemistry of the American squad....Roseforte also revealed that at past Ryder Cups, Lefty practiced at other nearby courses and even introduced new clubs to his bag during the Ryder Cup Tournament!!

Need more be said?! How about the Ryder Cup records of both Tiger and Phil being truly "Meh!" and certainly not a true reflection of the talent they bring to the first tee every week that they play on behalf of THEMSELVES.....

In addition to harboring more than a few self entitled prima donnas, the American golf scene is presently transitioning from the Tiger and Phil Era to an as yet undetermined talent landscape; players like Speith, Fowler, Walker, Reed and more than a few others are extremely talented but still vying for that next level of domination-still establishing themselves, if you will..........meanwhile the Euros have produced the next "Tiger" as we enter the "Rory Era" and he has a supporting cast of top notch talent surrounding him on the Euro squad. Guys like GMac, Rose, etc..

Bottom line:  Freddie seems wise enough to realize that there is damn little upside to his taking the role of Ryder Cup Captain.....and a very good chance that he could well become the next target of the venom publically cast by the spoiled self centered crybabies on the US PGA Tour at Tom Watson for his efforts to bring the cup back to the USA....

While I, like so many here, am a fan of Freddie and cheer for him on the Champions Tour, we must also admit that his personality and likability were more than minor factors in his being inducted into the Golf Hall of Fame.....his actual record, sadly impaired by chronic back problems, is at best, marginal; having won only but a single major in his career. Indeed, Freddie was THE reason that the World Gold Hall of Fame changed and tightened up it's admissions criteria -now requiring at least TWO majors, etc.....we could call that the "Freddie Rule".........that said, Freddie understands that his likability is indeed a major piece of his "social capital" and that he would have much to lose and very little to gain by accepting a Ryder Cup Captaincy ....he already has multiple President's Cup Captain's successes. ( a far safer bet indeed!).... That said, I really don't know what the answer is to what troubles the US Ryder Cup squad....perhaps wait until younger more hungry players like Reed, Speith etc. come of age?  The culture definitely needs changing -and that will be a very heavy lift for ANY captain.....so one can hardly blame Freddie for passing on the offer....

Modify the "Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup" and bring the internationals into the system.

Start 2016 with the Americans vs the Europeans.

The loser sits out 2018 and the winner plays the Internationals.

Continue onward.

This allows the American stars to get off the big deal each and every year. They do not want to do a "cup" each year.

After losing and having to sit for 4 years, the losers will be go forward with "mucho hambre", which is currently lacking.

Don't see why Europe should be penalised because America keeps losing?

If America has no appetite for the fight any longer then at least have the decency to wave the white flag and surrender and let an international team take your place permanently. The onus is on America to sort it out, and it isn't actually that difficult. The question really is do the players have the will to do so beyond serving up mealy mouthed platitudes at press conferences that they don't back up with deed

Note: This thread is 3394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!