IGNORED

Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am done with my sky caddie and I am looking to buy a laser rangefinder. I have been looking at various bushnell and Leopold models, not sure which one is the one for me. Don't need all the fancy bells and whistles, all I want is an accurate one. Any suggestions?

I have a Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt. I love it. I won't leave home without it. This one does not do slope and stuff. It's the basic distance model and is legal in most of the tournaments I'll play in.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a 3 year old Bushnell V2 ... have had it on my belt for over 300 rounds - bulletproof

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I definitely want a rangefinder that's legal to use in tournaments. I know some come with slope and club suggestions,etc. For those models that do come with those features, are you able to shutoff those features to make it legal? I've been looking at TGW for awhile and it seems that 250-400 is the price range for decent models, does that sound about right?

The one I suggested is legal for tournaments.

The ones with slope and club suggestions are not, even though you can turn off those features.

The V2 is a good model, too. I just liked the V6 Jolt because the yardage is displayed in red instead of black. It is easier to read against the typical fir tree background in this region. Check Amazon.com for pricing. I've seen some better pricing.

Here's the rule:

During a stipulated round , the use of any distance measuring device is not permitted unless the Committee has introduced a Local Rule to that effect (see Note to Rule 14-3 and Appendix I; Part B; Section 9). (Note - I've not played where they're not allowed)

Even when the Local Rule is in effect, the device must be limited to measuring distance only. Features that would render use of the device contrary to the Local Rule include, but are not limited to:

• the gauging or measuring of slope;
  • the gauging or measuring of other conditions that might affect play (e.g., wind speed or direction, or other climate-based information such as temperature, humidity, etc.);
  • recommendations that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play (e.g., club selection, type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter); or
  • calculating the effective distance between two points based on slope or other conditions affecting shot distance.

Such non-conforming features render use of the device contrary to the Rules , irrespective of whether or not:

• the features can be switched off or disengaged; and
  • the features are switched off or disengaged.

A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance measuring device provided it contains a distance measuring application that meets all of the above limitations (i.e., it must measure distance only). In addition, when the distance measuring application is being used, there must be no other features or applications installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules , whether or not they are actually used.

Julia

Spoiler

I've been very happy with my Leupold GX1, though most of my buddies use Bushnells. You won't go wrong with either one. My personal preference is to stay away from the "slope measuring" models which disqualify their use in tournament play.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've been very happy with my Leupold GX1, though most of my buddies use Bushnells. You won't go wrong with either one.

My personal preference is to stay away from the "slope measuring" models which disqualify their use in tournament play.

+1 on this model.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If you want a rangefinder that can report distance and slope for use during practice rounds and to be able use it for distance only during tournament rounds, the Leupold GX-4i2 is a great option.  It offers different face plates that enable and disable the slope feature so that it conforms to the USGA rules and can be used during tournament play.

Conforms to USGA Rule 14-3

The chrome faceplate (included) disables True Golf Range and Club Selector features to make the GX-4i² permitted for use under the rules of golf (per USGA Rule 14-3/0.5).

Joe Paradiso

If you want a rangefinder that can report distance and slope for use during practice rounds and to be able use it for distance only during tournament rounds, the Leupold GX-4i2 is a great option.  It offers different face plates that enable and disable the slope feature so that it conforms to the USGA rules and can be used during tournament play.

Conforms to USGA Rule 14-3

The chrome faceplate (included) disables True Golf Range and Club Selector features to make the GX-4i² permitted for use under the rules of golf (per USGA Rule 14-3/0.5).

That's a good solution!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've been very happy with my Leupold GX1, though most of my buddies use Bushnells. You won't go wrong with either one.

My personal preference is to stay away from the "slope measuring" models which disqualify their use in tournament play.

100% agree with this.  I have the same model and it's great, and my friends all have Bushnells and they're great.

I see no reason to get the slope models.  You get one and start relying on it for casual play, then comes a tournament and now you're screwed.

If I come up next weekend, hopefully we can play and you can give mine a whirl. :beer:

I have the Bushnell hybrid which is my favorite.  No annual fee and works on all golf courses that it has been on.  You can shoot the flag for distance or view the range finder for general distance to the front, center and back of green.

I also want to mention that you should remember to replace the batteries before a tournament to be on the safe side. I had mine die once.... You start relying on these things and if you have to go without you're screwed. They do not help you judge distance. The slope and club selection features will not help you with that. You will rely on them.

Even if the battery dies, they do make good magnifiers so that you can find the blue flag against fir trees - something that used to really slow me down.... "Would you hurry up and hit your shot?" "Where's the flag?"

Julia

Spoiler

I have the Bushnell Z6 Jolt and it works great. Accurate and easy to lock on to targets. Most of the time I use it one-handed. One feature I love about it is its so compact I can play with it in my pocket and never know its there. No fear of losing it. Plus its waterproof. I've used it in slight drizzles with no problems.

The biggest thing I find important is stability while holding lasers. For long ranges two handed larger styles work best, because the small ones are one handed and unstable past somewhere around 250. This may not be useful unless the player wants to plan more than one shot into a green. My Bushnell 1600 can see flags from the tee if they are straight. This is useful when I am unfamiliar with a course.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

The biggest thing I find important is stability while holding lasers. For long ranges two handed larger styles work best, because the small ones are one handed and unstable past somewhere around 250.

Agree.  I can't hold mine (Leupold gx-1i) steady enough with one hand at ANY distance.  But with two hands, its easy enough to get it steady enough to get a reading.

The biggest thing I find important is stability while holding lasers. For long ranges two handed larger styles work best, because the small ones are one handed and unstable past somewhere around 250. This may not be useful unless the player wants to plan more than one shot into a green. My Bushnell 1600 can see flags from the tee if they are straight. This is useful when I am unfamiliar with a course.

Lucky for me I don't hit anything off the deck past 250 yards. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've been happy with my Leupold GX-1 for many years now. Only thing that could be improved as far as I'm concerned, is the targetting. I sometimes have a hard time finding the flag if it's hanging straight down and I'm quite a ways from the green. I've read about lock-on technology or something, but not sure if that require the flag to be reflective, or if it works with any flag. If I got a new rangefinder today, that would be one of my top priorities.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!