IGNORED

Wow, Tiger got Dissed by Dan Jenkins?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger and his agency were fools to acknowledge it, dumb, stupid and arrogant. He should have ignored it.

I read both pieces, the rebuttal letter, which he seems to be crying about it ( the fake interview) and the fake interview itself.....I think I could have written things a little funnier. the truth is I read it before the "Hot stove Tiger" discussion started. And I guess wasn't impressed with the fake interview enough to even comment on it anywhere- including here. It missed its mark with me. I knew without the article he (TW) was a cheap bastard first hand.

Look it at this way, had Tiger over the decades been a bit more open with the press, didn't come across as having the personality of a wet log and down played all the arrogance- his comment on the fake interview would have been simply ignoring or laughing with it.

The irony is most of his millions he earns is earned thru multimedia, including the press, web and video, so I guess he wants it both ways. When the bully in play ground is picking on you, how did you guys handle it?  Most of us ignored it and never gave the impression that his bullying bothered us, Tiger didn't go to the same schools we went to I guess.

I don't expect every one to agree with me, but basically tiger... suck it up.  and Mr Jenkins write about something else or at least partner with some comedians

I doubt you would "suck it up" if someone did this to you.  At some point celebrities need to defend themselves from crap like this.  We know you loathe Woods, so it is understandable you feel this way.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

douche move - totally unacceptable & I'm shocked Golf Digest EVER published that ... there's one golf magazine I won't be subscribing to again.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I was most surprised at how unfunny the fake interview was.  It ended up just being a bunch of personal attacks in the form of a question.

I didn’t think it was hilarious, but I found it mildly amusing, just as I do when Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornhieser do it on their ESPN show, “Pardon The Interruption” They call it “role-play” wherein one of them dons a cardboard cutout masks of the athlete/coach/ owner that the other one conducts a “fake interview” with. The answers are generally snarky self- reflective confirmations of popular criticisms attributed to that particular celebrity. PTI isn’t The Onion either. It’s a sports magazine show and Golf Digest is a sports magazine. While I’m sure they have received their share of negative emails and tweets from fans of those particular celebrities, I haven’t heard any of the celebrities themselves getting too riled. The point is that it has been done before so let’s not act as if poor Tiger was singled out by the mean journalist. yeah…poor Tiger.

I doubt you would "suck it up" if someone did this to you.  At some point celebrities need to defend themselves from crap like this.  We know you loathe Woods, so it is understandable you feel this way.

You ( or we???)  don't know me, and yes indeed I would suck it up and ignore it. My point which you may have missed was not the approval of content of Dan Jenkins, but the actions of Woods and team Woods.  Recently Jennifer Lawrence went on the attack for illegally obtained ( hacked)  nude photos of her on her Icloud account. She called out the perpetrators, she called out anyone who decided to view these as contributing to a sex crime.Very harsh and very upset by the breach. Once publicized, at times entire server farms were brought to a crawl of the amount of network traffic downloading these pictures and the multimillion hits from all over the world- it went on for weeks.....as a result of her actions raising awareness to her very own nude photos.

The very same hack also leaked nude photos of Ariana Grande, Victoria Justice, and Kate Upton on the same website....none of which addressed or acknowledged it. When you are a celebrity or sports figure you live and die by the sword- unfortunately this is often the very media you use to self promote yourself.

Mark Twain sums it up best...

I've never been one to defend Tiger, but on principle I think he has a point.

When Jenkins tweets that he thinks he “let him off easy”, it seems to validate Tiger's point that it was a vendetta piece with a lame cover of being parody/satire.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

You ( or we???)  don't know me, and yes indeed I would suck it up and ignore it. My point which you may have missed was not the approval of content of Dan Jenkins, but the actions of Woods and team Woods.  Recently Jennifer Lawrence went on the attack for illegally obtained ( hacked)  nude photos of her on her Icloud account. She called out the perpetrators, she called out anyone who decided to view these as contributing to a sex crime.Very harsh and very upset by the breach. Once publicized, at times entire server farms were brought to a crawl of the amount of network traffic downloading these pictures and the multimillion hits from all over the world- it went on for weeks.....as a result of her actions raising awareness to her very own nude photos.

The very same hack also leaked nude photos of Ariana Grande, Victoria Justice, and Kate Upton on the same website....none of which addressed or acknowledged it. When you are a celebrity or sports figure you live and die by the sword- unfortunately this is often the very media you use to self promote yourself.

Mark Twain sums it up best...

So your logic is that celebrities should ignore attacks and slanderous statements made against them by individuals in the media out of fear that a retort would result in greater exposure of the offensive material to the public.

The problem with your logic is how and when do those in the media get disciplined so they change their behavior and refrain from slandering celebrities or do you just consider that part of the business celebrities have to deal with?

Joe Paradiso

If Tiger was offended by Jenkins, the following is a monthly 5 minutes on theticket in Dallas that is broadcast over the public airwaves .... NSFW or children

Hear the Fake Tiger Audio if you want ... starts off slowly builds speed and then wait for the Earl-Tida Woods how Tiger came into being that ends each of these monthly interviews ... and always a variation each month.

http://www.theunticket.com/the-fake-tiger-woods-3-2-14/

He might be offended....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

If Tiger was offended by Jenkins, the following is a monthly 5 minutes on theticket in Dallas that is broadcast over the public airwaves .... NSFW or children Hear the Fake Tiger Audio if you want ... starts off slowly builds speed and then wait for the Earl-Tida Woods how Tiger came into being that ends each of these monthly interviews ... and always a variation each month. [URL=http://www.theunticket.com/the-fake-tiger-woods-3-2-14/]http://www.theunticket.com/the-fake-tiger-woods-3-2-14/[/URL] He might be offended....

Oh no you didn't.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Come on, guys. It’s SATIRE. Now we don’t expect Tiger to get it, because his is so self-righteous, but most everything in this article is backed up by Tiger’s public actions which are stretched a bit (but not by much) because it‘s SATIRE.

But you guys sound like a bunch of Muslims and Jenkins said Tiger burns a Qur’an every day. (Hint: that was SATIRE.)

Tiger has a dark side to his personality and Jenkins nailed it. I found his piece to be a riot, and so did my golfing buddies.

Mark Steinberg’s hyperventilated reaction does nothing to further his client’s image or his own. To his bullet points:
1. No. Why? 2. Which readers over ten years old would think that is actually Tiger in the picture and that is actually his SUV? 3. He did, through the vehicle of SATIRE. 4. Ask yourself, Mark, why Tiger is no longer associated with Golf Digest , or a number of his former sponsors. 5. No other golfer is within miles of behaving like Tiger has/does. An expert in damage control, Steinberg is not.

Neither Jenkins nor Golf Digest has nothing to apologize for. What Golf Digest should come out with is a statement that they stand by the article in every way. Woods and Steinberg need to realize  the days when they say, “Jump,” and the world says, “How high?’ are long over.

What Tiger should have done is laughed it off, told Steinberg to cool it, moved on, and let the article fade away after about two weeks.

Good grief this guy just doesn’t know how to be a public figure. That’s why the SATIRE was written and why it hits so close to home, and is so funny. This reaction is even funnier than the Jenkins piece, and that’s saying a lot.

Read Christine Brennan’s response in USA Today.

• Upvote 2

Quote:
So your logic is that celebrities should ignore attacks and slanderous statements

For a start, it isn't slander. The unlovely story of Jerry Falwell, Campari, and a goat in the outhouse settled that matter, quite some time ago.

Returning to the satire at hand. It's a little bit hamfisted and it isn't terribly funny (one or two bright spots aside), but it's also very tame.

The "offended" party needs to grow a thicker skin....

Oh no you didn't.

P1, Day 1 ... now it's mostly just the Musers and theteebox...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

P1, Day 1 ... now it's mostly just the Musers and theteebox...

P1 since '96. Musers by far my favorite. Hardline been mailing it in for years but last couple weeks have stepped up their game. Rush baby midday so Norm or BADD don't have a prayer. ;) [quote name="ScouseJohnny" url="/t/78220/wow-tiger-got-dissed-by-dan-jenkins/0_40#post_1076698"] For a start, it isn't slander. The unlovely story of Jerry Falwell, Campari, and a goat in the outhouse settled that matter, quite some time ago. Returning to the satire at hand. It's a little bit hamfisted and it isn't terribly funny (one or two bright spots aside), but it's also very tame. The "offended" party needs to grow a thicker skin.... [/quote] As Tiger stated, he lets most things pass but from time to time one has to make a stand. There is no question this was done with malicious intent and Tiger knows it. I think he was ok calling Jenkins out on it. This is Jimmy Fallon/Rick Reilly stuff and had either of them done it, I'm sure Tiger would have been silent. Jenkins debased himself with this and I'm glad the world now knows that.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I read it and thought, oh that's funny/cute and immediately forgot about it. People calling it slander really have to get a grip. It's satire. It's a parody.

Of course, now it's all over the place because Tiger has such thin skin. Now people are asking, "who is Dan Jenkins?", a person who has been irrelevant for about two decades.

Hey Tiger, get over it and win something.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

a couple of things:

1) as the worlds biggest Tiger fan/apologist, i was initially very put off by the "article".  as i read it, though, i thought to myself "i hope tiger doesnt respond to this" because its just going to give more pub to that has-been jenkins.

2) tiger has every right to be pissed.  its not like he wasnt well compensated for his contributions to golf digest, but this is NOT the way to pay him for what he brought to the magazine.

Colin P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post

You can't teach stupid....he ( tiger) should have left it alone. It would not surprise me in the least if that rebuttle letter was a directive from tiger himself to his team. this guy lacks so much people skills, time and time again he demonstrates this. Yet this is another example of it. Any PR firm worth their salt would have asked tiger to reconsider this action.

Ask yourself this for a moment , what if this fake interview was written in the Onion or national lampoon would team Woods drafted that letter? the onion doesn't write the word Fake in front of their articles, nor does a Saturday night live skit end with a disclaimer. It's presumed to be incorrect and hopefully humorous. Jenkins missed the mark with humor of the laughing kind, but he didn't leave out "Fake interview" in the title and context of his article.

"Steiny" doesn't want to get fired like everybody else.

Quote:
Tiger should have left this alone, instead he draws even more attention to it, well outside the subscription and GD web readers.

"He has spent the last several years try to rebuild his shattered public image" well I for one think he just reminded people more of it.

This.

Quote:
There was several bits in Dan's article that were completely factual, perhaps unflattering for tiger, but they were on target.

And this.

Bill M

For a start, it isn't slander. The unlovely story of Jerry Falwell, Campari, and a goat in the outhouse settled that matter, quite some time ago.

Returning to the satire at hand. It's a little bit hamfisted and it isn't terribly funny (one or two bright spots aside), but it's also very tame.

The "offended" party needs to grow a thicker skin....

Golf Digest is a golf magazine, they aren't well known for publishing satire nor is Jenkins very good at it.

If Jenkins did a fake interview with Christina Kim that hit on her weight, incurring a back injury during a massage, her golf failings,  fashion style and history of depression would we tell her to get a thicker skin too or is it different because people don't like Tiger?   What's fair game and what isn't in the name of satire?

Joe Paradiso

Classless. Self serving at best.

And you most probably would never have heard about it if Tiger hadn't got his panties in a wad about it. THAT's become the story, not a poorly conceived satirical piece that didn't even have a link to the internet until this. I read it a week ago when I got the magazine and forgot about it a minute later.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!