IGNORED

Tired of lurking.

shaggs2riches
Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I finally decided it was best to come out of the shadows, and introduce myself. I have lurked this site since about May, and figured its about time to show my face. I started golfing earlier this year, other than routine company golf events that is. Actually that is where it started for me. About 13 years ago during a work function, I was introduced to the game, but didn't think much of it at the time. Each and every year there has been company golf events and each year, I had to borrow equipment from someone. This year, I was at Canadian Tire in town, and there was a set of RAM FX TOUR clubs for half price. I decided that was a good time to invest in clubs, that I could at least learn on and, not be out a pile of money, if I only used them a couple times a year. At this years function, I managed to smash a few great drives, and get closest to the pin on one hole. I was intrigued to get better at the sport, after that day. I agreed to play a round every couple weeks after work, to at least start learning the game. In the mean time, I entered a contest and won a shiny new SLDR driver (way too much club for my skill set for sure). The first time I took to the range with that driver, I was amazed how smooth my "good" drives were compared to with my cheap RAM driver. After that point I was hooked.

In my first few rounds, I discovered just how difficult this game can be. Heck, I couldn't even hit the ball 80% of the time, and when I did it was a complete fluke. Determined to improve, I signed up for a few lessons, and they really helped me feel more like a golfer. I have improved a lot since that company function this year, and managed to play quite a few rounds through the season. To my luck, we have a High Definition golf facility in town, and since the courses have closed, I have been playing there at least once a week. I have managed to learn a lot more about my swing, using the massive amount of data that the simulator produces. The simulators are really fantastic pieces of equipment. Hopefully using them regularly, I will be even more prepared by the time next season rolls around.

Last week, bought a set of Rocketbladez irons with graphite shafts, off of ebay. I have a bit of wrist pain from snowboarding, bails a few years back. The pain comes and goes, usually when I have a long range session,  hitting 200 or more balls (or any activity that causes similar impact and vibration). I hope the graphite shafts, will help with that. My only concern is that after I bid on the clubs, I realized that the 9-iron and PW are Rocketbladez Max irons, and that they won't blend into the rest of the set properly. But if that is the case, I will switch them out for the proper irons to match the rest of the set. I suppose buying off of ebay may not have been the best decision either, but I accepted the risks should it not work out.

Anyway that is where I am in my golf experience up to this point. I have been enjoying reading threads and learning a lot about pretty much everything from attire to course management. I am a long long way from being a scratch golfer, but I am growing to really love the game an all its virtues. Thanks for having me.

Welcome!!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the site @shaggs2riches ,

We have a few forum members from Canada.  Most of us are not even close to scratch, but we still have fun.  There are quite a few ways you can work to improve over the winter.  If you can find an indoor range or even just a place to look at your stance, swing in front of a mirror, you can make improvement so you will be ready for spring.

If you have any questions about using the site, check out our "Using the Site" section , and Little Things New Users can learn.

Here are some great threads to get started and familiar with The Sand Trap

Want to follow some bright people and some awesome members? Check out this article . Want to talk about more than golf or quickly find like-minded folks? Check out our Groups .

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@shaggs2riches , welcome to the Trap! Glad you decided to stop lurking, we've been watching* you :-X and wondering when you'd take the plunge.

*just joking of course.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Welcome to the site! Take it easy on those kickers.

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(4W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

Welcome, it's great to have you aboard, enjoy!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Welcome shaggs2riches. I have been playing 30 years golf and my form may be good one week and then bad habits returned.

Professionals hit 500 balls or more daily and practise short games for hours. Amateurs who are working often have no practise and play whenever possible.

So we have ups and downs as we have no consistency.

I too have changed clubs whenever my game went down. Often it is not the tools but the execution.

Sometimes I return to the tools I abandon after a period of time and find them perform better.

So check your swing with a professional - it may save you lots.

Thanks guys. The high definition golf facility, has really been great in helping me learn more about my swing. I had a lesson there a couple weeks ago, and he corrected a lot about my swing. The video feedback you can get from them, is great for dialing in everything that you can't normally pick up. I don't think the new clubs I have coming, will help my swing at all, or drastically change my distances. My hope is that the graphite shafts, will be easier on my wrists on miss hits, and long range sessions. And I love getting shiny new things to play with. Lol.

Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!