IGNORED

Monty: Rory better than Woods ever was

3putter
Note: This thread is 3378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If he wins the next two majors then you could argue that. As of right now... Definitely not.

Could you imagine the hype for the US Open next year if Rory wins the Masters? It has the potential to be the best major championship ever if Rory and Tiger are in the mix after Saturday (and even better if Phil is also in the hunt):

Rory with a chance to achieve the Tiger Slam

Tiger trying to stop that from happening AND end his majorless drought

Phil looking for his first US open and career grand slam at age 45

'Nuff said here.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/monty-mcilroy-better-now-woods-ever-was/

"Tiger Woods is going to come back into the frame," Montgomerie told Kicca.com. "Is he going to be able to get back, not just to the levels he was, but better than that? Because that's where Rory McIlroy's taken the standard of golf: to one level beyond where Tiger was."

Monty with an interesting comment. Do numbers back him up?

I don't think the numbers back him up yet, but Rory is so accurate and long with his clubs it is hard to believe that he won't end up being GOAT in this next century.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
I don't think the numbers back him up yet, but Rory is so accurate and long with his clubs it is hard to believe that he won't end up being GOAT in this next century.

I'd take that bet @Lihu . He has a looooooooong way to go.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd take that bet @Lihu. He has a looooooooong way to go.

I'd gladly take that bet too.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/78612/monty-rory-better-than-woods-ever-was/18#post_1085822"]   I don't think the numbers back him up yet, but Rory is so accurate and long with his clubs it is hard to believe that he won't end up being GOAT in this next century. [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/78612/monty-rory-better-than-woods-ever-was/18#post_1085828"]   I'd take that bet @Lihu . He has a looooooooong way to go. [/QUOTE] I'd gladly take that bet too.

What bet?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
What bet?

I'm going to give you a few minutes to figure that one out for yourself. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Surprise surprise.

Monty makes a statement and it is misinterpreted and its context is ignored.

Monty is talking about Rory's game at the moment , not his final record.

Sure there's a bit of hyperbole, but he isn't saying that Rory is the best player ever.

He's saying that if Tiger comes back, he's going to have to beat someone who is at a higher level than he was.

He's pretty close to the mark.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Surprise surprise. Monty makes a statement and it is misinterpreted and its context is ignored. Monty is talking about Rory's game at the moment , not his final record. Sure there's a bit of hyperbole, but he isn't saying that Rory is the best player ever. He's saying that if Tiger comes back, he's going to have to beat someone who is at a higher level than he was. He's pretty close to the mark.

I don't think that's being misinterpreted. I interpreted it the same way you just described. Granted, I haven't read the whole thread.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

What bet?

I'm going to give you a few minutes to figure that one out for yourself.

Montgomerie believes that McIlroy deserves to be the betting favorite for the Masters and he even went one step further, claiming that a clean sweep of the 2015 majors - meaning an unprecedented six wins in a row for McIlroy - isn't exactly far-fetched.

"I'm sure it's a 100-1 shot, but still it's worth a punt," he said. "If I was a gambler, which I'm not, I'd put money on that. He's that dominant, and that good."

Oh yeah, sure.

Well, I wouldn't bet either way.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Surprise surprise.

Sure there's a bit of hyperbole, but he isn't saying that Rory is the best player ever.

He's saying that if Tiger comes back, he's going to have to beat someone who is at a higher level than he was.

I think some people forget how good Tiger was when he was at his best.  Rory is good now but not at the level that Tiger was at his peak.   Having said that, I don't see Tiger coming back to anywhere near his top form.   He may win a major or two before his career is over but his best days are gone for good - too many injuries, age, motivation, discipline, ...

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

Surprise surprise.

I think some people forget how good Tiger was when he was at his best.  Rory is good now but not at the level that Tiger was at his peak.   Having said that, I don't see Tiger coming back to anywhere near his top form.   He may win a major or two before his career is over but his best days are gone for good - too many injuries, age, motivation, discipline, ...

I think the main thing is this. When he makes more money and has more fun not playing, it's time for him to start enjoying life a bit more.

This stated, Rory is really impressive.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

He has a very long way to go. First thing he needs to do is win at Augusta and complete the career slam. You can't even talk about him in the same breath as Woods until he at least does that.

Anxious to see how Spieth does this year. The last 3 weeks he has showed domination and the ability to also stand out on the world stage. It was a question this past year if he can learn to close out tournaments and win. He's learning how to do that.

I am not 100% certain what Monty meant by that statement, but IF he meant that Rory right now is better than Tiger was at his best, I would have to totally disagree - Tiger was playing a different game than the rest of the field and the shotmaking was phenomenal.  Rory has had an excellent short career to date, and he may approach Tiger's best but for the forseeable future I would use only Jack in the same sentence as Tiger in describing the greatest golfers ever.  Rory may be the best golfer headed into the 2015 season but is not Tiger or Jack in their prime - perhaps someday.

Tiger and Rory have both proven this: When you're hot, you're hot!

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I won't read too much into this, I doubt he really believes that, and I never really saw the point in comparing players from different generations anyway, it's kind of silly.

That being said if there's one area that Tiger clearly bests every other player I've every seen play it's his mental game, Tiger was so strong upstairs that nobody stood a chance, even if his game was off a bit, he willed himself to win because how could he lose to these peasants? that's a part of Tiger that nobody- certainly not Rory, has shown since.

When Rory has a season with 3 majors and 9 win we can talk.  Until then . . .

Or even an 8 win season.

Or a 7 win season

Or a 6 win season

Or FOUR 5 win seasons.

(BTW, how about a 5 win season while the other guy is in his prime? - Like Tiger in 2013)

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

honestly, is this even worth a comment? please I've always respected Tiger Woods, but have never been a groupie or diehard follower of his, but please give the Man his due respect as arguably the best golfer the world has ever seen...Rory isn't even worth putting up there in the conservation as a Tiger Woods...as the above poster stated...until Rory even does 1 of those things don't say stupid stuff like this..Monty is a jack wad...stupid comment on his part imho

Note: This thread is 3378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!