IGNORED

2015 Hyundai Tournament of Champions Discussion Thread

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, but wouldn't this really be the exception to the rule that they play slow? You will always find exceptions, but the people who believe that pros are generally slow would be right don't you agree?

I guess my question is why was he playing by himself though?

Some of the slow players have been reported on, and we know how long some of the rounds have gone.   But aside from knowing certain players are slow, do we really know how many are deliberate/slow, and how many of them are waiting on people ahead of them.   Chances are on any golf course that if you have 1000 people and people are playing in 5 hours, that most of them would play in 4 hours if they weren't waiting on a group ahead of them, whether it's the first group in front of them or the 100th.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/79021/2015-hyundai-tournament-of-champions-discussion-thread/18#post_1094094"] Yeah, but wouldn't this really be the exception to the rule that they play slow? You will always find exceptions, but the people who believe that pros are generally slow would be right don't you agree? I guess my question is why was he playing by himself though?[/quote] That's why I said, "for those that think tour pros have to play slow....." Kevin Stadler had to withdraw with a stress fracture in the hand.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

. That's why I said, "for those that think tour pros have to play slow....." Kevin Stadler had to withdraw with a stress fracture in the hand.

Sorry.. Misunderstood you! The fact that he scored the course record is telling for sure.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Yeah, it doesn't take long when you only hit the ball 62 times! I usually get there somewhere around 13 or 14...... :~(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think the event in Boston that's played over one of the three day weekends in summer has a Monday finish, or it has on more than one occasion.

For re-grouping, I think one of the reasons that they have the first two days be the same group but swap mornings and afternoons is so that over the two days before the cut line, they get different conditions.   Such as the greens dry out later in the day, so it varies the conditions somewhat.   Since there are only 30-ish players in the field here, maybe they felt they didn't have to do that.

That is true about that tournament having a Monday finish, but when I spoke about Monday finishes I was talking about this specific tournament, The Tournament of Champions at Kapalua. I don't recall this specific tournament having a Monday finish.

That is true about that tournament having a Monday finish, but when I spoke about Monday finishes I was talking about this specific tournament, The Tournament of Champions.

They've been doing this for at least a couple of years.  They're avoiding conflicting with the NFL by finishing today but they're also avoiding conflicting with a lot of us left coasters being home ... so, not sure which is best. ;)

Anybody see Jimmy Walkers low line drive knuckle duck hook? Much funnier because it had the ProTracer on it as well...

Yep...I'm truly disappointed, I had JW to win it from day 1..he pretty much gave it away. He said in an interview, that his nerves got the best of him..sigh

Yeah, Pat, made a charge, made a few boo boo's but held on to win...great playing!!

Here’s what was in Reed's bag.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver (8.5°) - Fuji Fuel 75x Shaft

X2 Hot Pro Fairway Wood (13.5°) - Fujikura Pro 95x Shaft

X Forged ’13 Irons (3-4) - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Shaft

Callaway MB 1 Irons (5-PW) - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Shaft

Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 52° Wedge (T-Grind, 10° degrees of bounce)

Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 56° (T-Grind, 11° of bounce)

Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 60° (T-Grind, 9° of bounce)

Odyssey White Hot Pro #3 Putter

A Callaway SR 3 Golf Ball

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah, it doesn't take long when you only hit the ball 62 times! I usually get there somewhere around 13 or 14......

Still 2:48 for 62 shots?  Last time I played alone and walked 18, on an empty course, I played in 2:15.  And that was with 82 shots.  I also got delayed by the grounds crew mowing the greens on a few holes.

BTW, I had my mother turn on the broadcast to see the beauty of Hawaii and the occasional humpback whale they were showing.  She doesn't watch golf, but loved the scenery.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Still 2:48 for 62 shots?  Last time I played alone and walked 18, on an empty course, I played in 2:15.  And that was with 82 shots.  I also got delayed by the grounds crew mowing the greens on a few holes.

Yeah, but you were playing from the 5,700 yard beige tees... :-)

Colin P.

For those who think tour pros have to play slow....

Congrats to Chris Kirk who just tied the course record of 11 under, 62, playing by himself, in 2:48!

Let's give Tim Clark a little pat on the back too, he did it under 3.5 hours as well.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Yeah, but you were playing from the 5,700 yard beige tees...

The whites!  6406 par 72

Scott

My Swing Thread

Reed is really, really good, fun to watch that guy play.

So is Matsuyama, what a chip shot on 15.

Walker choked big time, if you look up choke on Wiki today you'll see a big picture of Jimmy Walker, wow.

But you can't take much away from his game, he's a really great player.

Walker really did collapse. Aside from the other holes, the only good shots he hit on 18 were his drives. The approach shots and the little pitch shots were all well below what you'd expect from a player of his caliber. You could tell he had gotten nervous.

I already posted it on the long game v short game thread but I'll mention it here as well: Reed finished near the very bottom of the field in putts made from under 10 feet. (He was T27 after 70 holes and then missed another 4 footer).

I already posted it on the long game v short game thread but I'll mention it here as well:

Reed finished near the very bottom of the field in putts made from under 10 feet. (He was T27 after 70 holes and then missed another 4 footer).

He really won the playoff on his second shot from the rough.  He put the ball as close to the hole as he could without putting himself in a hazard or rough.  Walker pushed his second shot and had a tough like in the rough.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!