IGNORED

GolfNow Rewards and Loyalty 2015 (What a difference a year makes!)

David in FL
Note: This thread is 3075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I received this response this morning......

Good Morning David –

Thank you for your detailed feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

I have been in this position for four years now and over those years, formed relationships with our most loyal customers all over the country. And I must say, you are one customer that I have really enjoyed working with and getting to know. With that said, I can certainly sympathize with how you feel.

As you know, GolfNow continues to evaluate effective ways to provide value to our loyal customers. Unlike most sites, we do offer a loyalty program and do our best to provide escalating perks and benefits to those who repeatedly book through GolfNow. For instance, the once in a lifetime opportunity to play with US Open Champion Graeme McDowell at his home club of Lake Nona. Or, the Super Bowl promotion we are currently working on which will surprise one lucky top booker in the Phoenix area. Lastly, we drop ship PGA/USGA/LPGA/Champions Tour tickets to our best customers each and every week just as a way to say “Thanks”.

We would like to extend you a Free Hot Deal for taking the time to provide your feedback and also for your years of loyalty. We will continue to evaluate our loyalty program and hope you are able to take advantage of our broad selection of tee times and great values. Please know that I will escalate your feedback to the appropriate parties as I always do.

Thank you for your business and play well,

Charlotte Daughan

About what I expected....though honestly, it reads like a cut and paste, somewhat canned response.  That indicates that I'm not the first to speak up, and probably won't be the last.  Interestingly, even the offer of a free round isn't particularly generous, because, unless I want to play alone, one or more of my buddies is going to have to buy one of the "Hot Deals".  For those that don't know, the Hot Deals is how the courses pay for the service, by giving GN a handful of tee times that GN then owns, and can sell for themselves.

Ah well, things change, and life goes on.  If they ever change this particular fee structure, I'll keep them in mind, but for now, my business belongs to a service who won't charge it's higher level customers a fee for using their service.

Sound like he isnt the one in charge and doesnt have the authority to change  the decision made to keep waiving the fees.Ive only used golfnow a few times so the fee wouldnt bother me as much but if you would normally book alot per year then yes you would be paying them quite a bit and i guess they didnt expect a power booker as yourself.

About what I expected....though honestly, it reads like a cut and paste, somewhat canned response.  That indicates that I'm not the first to speak up, and probably won't be the last.  Interestingly, even the offer of a free round isn't particularly generous, because, unless I want to play alone, one or more of my buddies is going to have to buy one of the "Hot Deals".  For those that don't know, the Hot Deals is how the courses pay for the service, by giving GN a handful of tee times that GN then owns, and can sell for themselves.

That explains why courses sometimes get the hump every time you show up with one of those Hot Deals. I never had a big problem with that, but I've heard stories.

Hot Deals is usually the only reason I use GolfNow. We vacation in OBX and I've had good luck getting those 2 p.m. tee times for cheap.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good response, David.  Hope it carries some weight for all involved with golfnow.com on the customer side.

Same here.  Probably booked 30 rounds last season the for the wife and myself.  Most weren't subject to any fees.  I'll have to check into the website as I've got some FL golf to play in about 6 weeks.

Thanks for the 'heads up.'

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I received this response this morning......

Good Morning David –

Thank you for your detailed feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

I have been in this position for four years now and over those years, formed relationships with our most loyal customers all over the country. And I must say, you are one customer that I have really enjoyed working with and getting to know. With that said, I can certainly sympathize with how you feel.

As you know, GolfNow continues to evaluate effective ways to provide value to our loyal customers. Unlike most sites, we do offer a loyalty program and do our best to provide escalating perks and benefits to those who repeatedly book through GolfNow. For instance, the once in a lifetime opportunity to play with US Open Champion Graeme McDowell at his home club of Lake Nona. Or, the Super Bowl promotion we are currently working on which will surprise one lucky top booker in the Phoenix area. Lastly, we drop ship PGA/USGA/LPGA/Champions Tour tickets to our best customers each and every week just as a way to say “Thanks”.

We would like to extend you a Free Hot Deal for taking the time to provide your feedback and also for your years of loyalty. We will continue to evaluate our loyalty program and hope you are able to take advantage of our broad selection of tee times and great values. Please know that I will escalate your feedback to the appropriate parties as I always do.

Thank you for your business and play well,

Charlotte Daughan

Ah well, things change, and life goes on.  If they ever change this particular fee structure, I'll keep them in mind, but for now, my business belongs to a service who won't charge it's higher level customers a fee for using their service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflighter

Sound like he isnt the one in charge and doesnt have the authority to change  the decision made to keep waiving the fees.Ive only used golfnow a few times so the fee wouldnt bother me as much but if you would normally book alot per year then yes you would be paying them quite a bit and i guess they didnt expect a power booker as yourself.

It also sounds like you didn't realize that Charlotte is a she.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Anyone who's spent any time on this forum knows that I've always been a HUGE proponent of GolfNow.  Even before they treated me to the opportunity to play a round with Graeme last year....

.....but, how things have changed.  Previously, once you had booked your first 10 rounds, they didn't charge any additional booking fees for the remainder of the year, and the following year.  Meaning that as long as you book at least 10 rounds every year, you'll never pay a fee again, and get the benefit and convenience of their service as well as their rewards program which provides for some pretty decent freebies throughout the year.  No more.  Starting this year, EVERY round booked is subject to a $2.49 fee for each player.  Yep, almost $10 per 4-some....and it applies no matter how many rounds are booked.

I know that I'm only one guy, but I'm one guy that does have a little history with GN and although I don't expect any change, or even a response, I couldn't help but let them know my feelings.  I thought that I'd share with you the email that I sent to their Director of Customer Service and VP of sales, both of whom I've met and with whom I've corresponded before.....

Charlotte,

What a difference a year makes.  I'm sad.  I feel as if I've lost a close friend.  A friend for whom I've been a loyal, ardent supporter and yes, even a brand ambassador for many years.  A friend who I always felt genuinely appreciated my loyalty and returned it with appreciation and respect.  No more.

I can't begin to tell you the disappointment I feel in the decision to charge booking fees for every reservation.  As you know, for many years now I've booked something in the order of 100+ tee times a year, virtually all for 4 players.  To think that GolfNow wants to charge me $1,000+ for the "privilege" of booking my golf this year is insulting, and I won't do it.....and no, the program that "rewards" me with gift cards for stuff that I don't use doesn't change that.  Heck, even if I used Srixon or Cleveland equipment, the cost of booking the golf exceeds the value of the rewards received and I can do the math.

I'm a businessman too.  I understand the need to continue to generate revenue and the need for continuous, year-over-year growth.  I also understand that along with attracting new, unique customers, it's always desirable to increase the revenue generated by each individual customer.  But.....and it's a big but.....when you try to do that without offering additional products, services, or perceived value in exchange, there's a likelihood of driving loyal customers away, and into the arms of the competition.  Sadly, that's where I'm going.  I've just booked my first 2 tee times with Golf18Network and will continue to do so, as long as they continue to reward my loyalty, with respect, appreciation, and loyalty of their own.

Sincerely,

David......

Former Brand Ambassador, GolfNow

Interestingly, the Golf18 site has jumped at the opportunity, and is advertising that they are now the only site that will continue to waive booking fees once you've booked 10 rounds.  Sounds like they understand the importance of separating yourself in the market place.

As I said, I really don't expect any response from GN, let alone any action, but if I do get something back, I'll share it here.

Excellent post, David. I too use to be a loyal GN customer, and not until last month did I realize they took away my rewards. I have also noticed increasingly more courses are offering tee times on their sites at the same price GN does, I would imagine that drives down business for GN. I have started booking directly from courses that offer such pricing.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

anybody else notice a dramatic dropoff in the number of courses in their area that are no longer using Golfnow ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

anybody else notice a dramatic dropoff in the number of courses in their area that are no longer using Golfnow ?

Not here, in fact they continue to add courses, especially higher end courses that had previously resisted. Most notably here are Disney and Orange County National. However, they're no longer the only game in town....nor even the 800 lb gorilla. There are plethora competing, similar sites who offer the same tee times at the same, course dictated cost. Now the consumer has more options and will likely shop those options for the provider that offers the least cost, or best incentives (total perceived value) to use their service over that of the competitors. Everyone, GN included is trying to find that sweet spot where they maximize overall revenue by balancing customer acquisition, customer retention, and per customer spend against the cost of each....and they'll continue to do so as the market evolves. As consumers, we get a vote. With our wallet, our influence with our buddies, and yes, even with the occasional polite but direct email.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I use GN when I go to an area that I am not familiar with.

I didn't mind paying their old booking fees for the first 10 bookings as I usually book more than 10 time a year.

I also like the reviews and got comfortable with the way they list out the courses.

Once I get to know the area I tend to book directly with the courses.

I find that I can usually get rates that are equal to or at least within $5 of the GN rates when I book directly.

Not sure what I am going to do now that the booking costs are higher with no top out at 10 bookings.

Seems strange to me that they did go to graduated rates so that even though they remove the no fees level, they could offer a fee structure that gets lower the more times you book.

For the heavy bookers like David they could still offer a no fee structure at a higher level. As David pointed out over the course of a year the fees could add up to over $1,000.

Also $2.49 fee per player seems excessive.

Obviously they will find that our when their customer base drops.

I looked at the other golf booking site mentioned and GN still has the most complete listings for the area that I frequent Phoenix.

No in fact they added a few here. I do have a question for @David in FL you mentioned in your email not using Srixon/Cleveland gear but in a ball thread said you use the Z-Star.

Good catch! I've played a ProV1 for years, and still prefer it. But I'm willing to try different balls in the search for something that I like even better. I tested the B330's this past year and was given a dozen Z-Stars when I got to play with Graeme last year. I liked them, but not enough to drive me to switch. . With the GN rewards last year (continuing this year) they give Srixon/Cleveland gift cards instead of free golf. Rather than give them away, I used them to buy Z-Stars and gloves. I do like the glove, and while I still prefer the ProV1, I'm playing Z-Stars right now because I was able to get 10 dozen for free. Free trumps the relatively slight preference for the ProV1's! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Well, I am getting ready to book my 11th round this year(I know, I am slacking) via GolfNow and I am secretly hoping the booking fee will magically disappear, but I know this won't happen. I too have sent my grievances in to  GolfNow through as many channels as I could find, hopefully they are getting the message. I have also sited this thread in some of my emails to GolfNow, hoping they see that it is not just a few that are disappointed with the new policy.

Like "David in Fl" mentioned, I really don't have a need for Srixon/Cleveland equipment, so the reward really doesn't carry as much weight as waiving the booking fees. I alone booked 175+ rounds for myself last year, that doesn't include booking for the individuals that joined me. So with this new policy, this will add an extra $435 to my golfing tab alone and as I mentioned before this doesn't include the rounds I book for friends that join me. That $435 could be used to buy me a new driver or even some new wedges I desperately need.

Anyways, glad to see I am not the only one disappointed. Nice to have a place I can whine, because my girlfriend has heard enough of it already...lol

Good catch!

I've played a ProV1 for years, and still prefer it. But I'm willing to try different balls in the search for something that I like even better. I tested the B330's this past year and was given a dozen Z-Stars when I got to play with Graeme last year. I liked them, but not enough to drive me to switch.. With the GN rewards last year (continuing this year) they give Srixon/Cleveland gift cards instead of free golf. Rather than give them away, I used them to buy Z-Stars and gloves. I do like the glove, and while I still prefer the ProV1, I'm playing Z-Stars right now because I was able to get 10 dozen for free. Free trumps the relatively slight preference for the ProV1's!

Lol wasn't a catch just wondering if you tried it just because you had to do something with the gift cards. I use Cleveland irons but nothing else and even then I found myself getting creative to find ways to use the rewards. Ended up buying a couple SGI long irons with KBS shafts just because. I still like the Hot Deal rewards and I would have came out ahead of the booking fees with just those because if I book a foursome I only check myself in the day we play unless I owe someone a round. Either way I make out okay because typically it's a trade for a round at a private course. I used the HD rewards for that a few times.

Dave :-)

Just checking in on this thread. Any updates from GolfNow on possibly changing their policies? I myself have sent several emails, which most have been answered with generic responses, but a few have been answered with responses basically stating they are aware of the issue and are currently evaluating the policy(i know, kind of generic as well, but better than most responses received back). Anyways, like I said, just want to check in and see if anyone has any updates?

I received this response this morning...... Good Morning David – Thank you for your detailed feedback, it is certainly appreciated. I have been in this position for four years now and over those years, formed relationships with our most loyal customers all over the country. And I must say, you are one customer that I have really enjoyed working with and getting to know. With that said, I can certainly sympathize with how you feel. As you know, GolfNow continues to evaluate effective ways to provide value to our loyal customers. Unlike most sites, we do offer a loyalty program and do our best to provide escalating perks and benefits to those who repeatedly book through GolfNow. For instance, the once in a lifetime opportunity to play with US Open Champion Graeme McDowell at his home club of Lake Nona. Or, the Super Bowl promotion we are currently working on which will surprise one lucky top booker in the Phoenix area. Lastly, we drop ship PGA/USGA/LPGA/Champions Tour tickets to our best customers each and every week just as a way to say “Thanks”. We would like to extend you a Free Hot Deal for taking the time to provide your feedback and also for your years of loyalty. We will continue to evaluate our loyalty program and hope you are able to take advantage of our broad selection of tee times and great values. Please know that I will escalate your feedback to the appropriate parties as I always do. Thank you for your business and play well, Charlotte Daughan About what I expected....though honestly, it reads like a cut and paste, somewhat canned response.  That indicates that I'm not the first to speak up, and probably won't be the last.  Interestingly, even the offer of a free round isn't particularly generous, because, unless I want to play alone, one or more of my buddies is going to have to buy one of the "Hot Deals".  For those that don't know, the Hot Deals is how the courses pay for the service, by giving GN a handful of tee times that GN then owns, and can sell for themselves.  Ah well, things change, and life goes on.  If they ever change this particular fee structure, I'll keep them in mind, but for now, my business belongs to a service who won't charge it's higher level customers a fee for using their service.

Well that stinks. I wasn't sure why I was b ing charged booking fees this year but now i know. I don't book as many rounds as some of you guys but I did 50+ last year, mist of the foursomes and I just can't see paying all those fees all year long.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this as well....

I was pretty much a day 1 Golfnow user.(well at least when i think the golf channel bought them/affiliated)

They have changed their rewards programs a few times.

I remember when you used to get credit for a 2some/3some/4some that was for like a year or so that they let that happen.... i had like 300 "credits".

I used to book 150 times a year with them mostly as a single but some as a twosome or 3some to get up to that 300#... I remember when they did some top golfnow user events in the DFW area... pretty interesting meeting the other guys that used the site a lot. I was #3 I believe, but I was told by the golf now rep that I was the most active single tee time booker in DFW.and that most of the other guys got their "status" by booking 4 somes etc

They got rid of that and over the last year or two i have only booked 30-40 times each year with them cause they had other problems and I would only pretty much buy hot deals. Plus I started volunteering at a local course for free golf.

now this change comes around and to me it is ridiculous... they effectively want to charge $10 so I don't have to call the pro shop and tell them give me a 4 some on x date and time.

I have also noticed that their deals in the last year are not all that great on the hotdeal side as compared to other sites... like teeoff.com (small site and not many courses but growing)

I get it they want to make more money. But they are gonna lose the money that I and other heavy users would pump into their system every year.

AND most importantly like the OP I used to tell people about golfnow and tell them to book through there.

I will no longer be doing that and will actively tell people not to use them now and to use xyz...

with that in mind I have seen a few sites listed in this thread... what are the others ?

teeoff.com (i have used and verified its legit)

golf18network.com (i have never used)

teetimes.com (i have never used)

lastminutegolfer.com(this is really just golfnow thus bleh.)

what else?

• Upvote 1

A bit off topic but somewhat related....but I've never really understood the push to continually increase profits year over year.  Fundamentally I do understand why companies must but at what point is it just okay to be profitable?  Why must a business grow or expand year after year?

I believe it's that mindset that leads to unethical business practices and the lack of true customer service in a lot of businesses as they look for ways to cut costs and improve profits.

That explains why courses sometimes get the hump every time you show up with one of those Hot Deals. I never had a big problem with that, but I've heard stories.

Hot Deals is usually the only reason I use GolfNow. We vacation in OBX and I've had good luck getting those 2 p.m. tee times for cheap.

That's how it feels at my local course (Maple Ridge in Columbus, GA) that participates with Golf Now.  I generally only use them when they have a Hot Deal for the course but the reception at the course using the deal is somewhat off.

Those one in the million gifts mean nothing to me - the likelihood that I ever get one of those prizes is very poor- I'd rather just have a cheaper green fee.......glad there's still another website available. I'm sure GN will see a drop off in customers and hopefully return to its previous way of doing business.....

Note: This thread is 3075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!