IGNORED

Anyone carry 14 clubs and no FWs?

Note: This thread is 3258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Simple question really, does anyone have their Driver as the only true wood in their bag? I've thought of toying with the strong hybrid in place of a FW, just wondered if anyone has done it, and how it went...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hi, i carry driver, 3-p, sandwedge, 60 lob, 64, super lob, and a putter. no complaints. i hit driver about 275-300 depending on how i connect. 3 iron usually 205 carry, 10-15 roll for 220 avg. ptch wdg is about 125-135. so, my sandwedge and lobs are my "accuracy" clubs. i started hitting my 3 wood really poorly about a year ago so i ditched it. traded it in for credit. carried a 2 iron for a while but could not hit it dependably. 3 iron was more accurate. yes, there is a big gap between my driver an 3 iron. i dont care right now. ive thought about picking up a 3w for that gap, but havent bothered. i just lay off the driver if i need to drop a few yards. but honestly, i hit driver when i probably shouldnt. dogleg left or right, par 4, bend is at 200-245. i hit driver over the trees. sometimes i pay for it, but, its just not worth it to hit short to the bend and be that much further from the hole. i like being on in 2 with that second shot being as short as possible. my occasional problem is the short par fours. i hit driver to the green or close but get in trouble there sometimes too. a 3w could force me to be a little more deliberate in that case.

Up until recently I only carried a 3wd for shorter tee shots as I didn't like playing hybrids off the tee or woods off the deck! Now I'm happy playing either from tee or fairway.

Callaway Big Bertha V Series 10.5 Driver stiff shaft
Benross Hot Speed 16 deg 3 fw
Callaway XR 22 deg hybrid
Callaway XR 25 deg hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 6-pw
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 48/54/60 wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro Havok

Seriously considering it. I have swapped out my 5 wood for 9 wood and back several times, but the result is the same - both sit in the bag.

On the holes I do not tee off with my driver, a 3 or 4 hybrid is adequate as the tee shots need to be carefully placed.

At this point, I may just replace the wood with a second, short putter for shots just off of the green or out of bunkers.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I only hit 3wd off the tee and am considering replacing my 5W with a 3H this upcoming season. If I go ahead with that change, I wouldn't have any woods that I hit from the fairway so yes!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I know a guy that carries no woods. Tees off with a 3 iron. He also sucks. :-D You should carry what will help you score. If you're erratic with fairway woods, don't carry them. I'd sacrifice distance for accuracy, especially if it means penalty strokes. I'd rather play a 7 iron from the fairway over a PW from the trees.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Simple question really, does anyone have their Driver as the only true wood in their bag?

I've thought of toying with the strong hybrid in place of a FW, just wondered if anyone has done it, and how it went...

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I carried 2 drivers and no FW woods.  I had an original TM Burner at 9.5° and a TM Tour Driver at 8.5° (the heads on both were smaller than a modern 3W).  The Burner served as a FW wood though, so probably not quite what you are asking.  There were also no hybrids yet then - I carried 2I - SW in my iron lineup (MacGregor RPM in manganese bronze).  I carried 13 clubs total.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I have four hybrids: 14*, 15.5*, 17*, 19*

I hit my 3 wood pretty consistent, longer than the 14*, but wanted to get some numbers on all of them, so took out the 3 wood.

Needless to say, the 3 wood is going to stay in the bag for the distance.

Also use 3-SW. Hit them all pretty well but need to gain distance with them.

LW isn't in the bag, don't use it enough.

Use what you can, work on what you need.

With some lessons, over the winter, my swing is in flux.

So to answer your question, yes and no.

Hope this helps, lol

Brian

edit by Brian

Brian   

Simple question really, does anyone have their Driver as the only true wood in their bag? I've thought of toying with the strong hybrid in place of a FW, just wondered if anyone has done it, and how it went...

Yes, I carry only a driver. I have a 16 degree hybrid and then carry a 6 hybrid through 4 hybrid. I went to the darksided and started to carry additional hybrids instead of the iron equivalents. And I carry 5 wedges -PW, GW, SW, LW, ELW

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

A long time ago, probably 25 years or so, I only carried 12 clubs in my bag. 2i-SW, putter, and a driver. I played some pretty good golf with that bag make up. Later on I read one of Pelz's books, and started messing around with various clubs, for various situations. With newer technology making clubs more forgiving, I am at my present bag make up of 14 clubs, which includes 4 metal woods, 4 wedges, 5 irons, and of course my putter.

I still have that original 12 club bag. Sometimes I will take it to the course just for the fun of it.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think it depends on your distance and course management philosophy.  The biggest reasons I see for FW's is to make up for lack of distance off the tee and to use at the tee in order to avoid trouble (tight fairways, bunkers and hazards that come into play if driver is used).

I need a 3W to have a chance to reach a long par 5 in three or long par 4 in two.  I also will use my 3w more off the tee if I'm struggling with my driver.

Joe Paradiso

I think it depends on your distance and course management philosophy.  The biggest reasons I see for FW's is to make up for lack of distance off the tee and to use at the tee in order to avoid trouble (tight fairways, bunkers and hazards that come into play if driver is used). I need a 3W to have a chance to reach a long par 5 in three or long par 4 in two.  I also will use my 3w more off the tee if I'm struggling with my driver.

Well I was thinking more in the 14-16° range with the strong hybrid...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Well I was thinking more in the 14-16° range with the strong hybrid...

If you hit a strong hybrid better than a fairway you won't be giving up much in terms of distance.  I'm a lefty so there aren't many 14-16° hybrids to choose from.  I'm happy when I can find one less than 18°.

Joe Paradiso

If you hit a strong hybrid better than a fairway you won't be giving up much in terms of distance.  I'm a lefty so there aren't many 14-16° hybrids to choose from.  I'm happy when I can find one less than 18°.

I have a 17° Adams Hybrid I hit well, I just balloon a little... I'm looking for something I can get out there about 230-240...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Last year, I played with a 20-something who had no FWs. He carried a 2H and 4H, and was a looong hitter. He had a shot at the two shorter Par 5s in two.

I also know a senior golfer who carries a 3W, but says he never hits it. But, he's good with his hybrids.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have found it easier to hit my 15.5* 3W compared to a 15* long hybrid.

The 3W is a TM R11s and the 2H is an older PING G10. Both shafts compare re: flex, torque, kick... 3W is a bit lighter.

I prefer my fairway wood swing as well as the small head on that club (160cc). Although the hybrid head is smaller, there exists this "wood or iron swing" debate in my frontal lobe.

I swap in a 7W for my 20* hybrid based on this same issue.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

I carried a 3H and DI for a while, until I realized that I could hit almost as far with my 3 FW as my driver.

3 FW is a really nice club if you can be it's master.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!