IGNORED

Can anyone else get 280 yards from a 4i?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far do you hit your 4i?

• 150-180 yards
    • 180-200 yards
    • 200-220 yards
    • 220-250 yards
    • 250-300 yards

I can get there, but only if you let me hit it 2 times......

Actual carry with a 4-iron (which I no longer have in the bag) is about 190.

On that hole, I think you would need scuba gear on your second shot. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My iron striking starts to break down around 4i and longer...so on a clean hit....

4i was my 205-210 iron

but I've put it away in lieu of my 4h (for the above reason).....which is about my 205-210 club

unless I'm at altitude, then maybe an extra "unearned" 20 yards or so

If I start hitting my 5i poorly, I would take my 4i to the range and practice with that until it feels good.  Seems to clean up contact on everything shorter.

now....downhill....downwind.....bouncing off the cart path?   That's a hammer

Bill - 

Yeah, I can get 280 out of my 4 iron..............eventually.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My normal 4i distance is 210, so I picked 200-220.  Off a tee I can hit it about 230-235 in neutral conditions, but 280 is just stupid.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I carry a 4 hybrid (2, 5 and 6 hybrids as well) and have a single digit handicap, I love the hybrids, even though I get plenty of looks from the other single digit handicap players, but doesn't bother me, when I beat them.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

My normal 4i distance is 210, so I picked 200-220.  Off a tee I can hit it about 230-235 in neutral conditions, but 280 is just stupid.

For the record, this is my normal distance too.  But since the question was asked based on the attached video, I thought it only fair to consider how far I'd hit it in those conditions.  I (and most definitely you) could get past 220 with that win. :beer:

I carry a 4 hybrid (2, 5 and 6 hybrids as well) and have a single digit handicap, I love the hybrids, even though I get plenty of looks from the other single digit handicap players, but doesn't bother me, when I beat them.

I've moved from a 3I to a hybrid but I like having the 4I for longer, low punches. If the longest iron you have is a 7, what do you do if you have a 160 punch shot that you have keep low?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

On an extremely crisp "hard as I can swing" swing, I can get a 5 iron to about 210-220. And since my 5 iron is lofted like a normal 4 iron, that's my answer.

Most shots trying to hit it that far would go about 120 yards. Most likely dribbled to the right.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I've moved from a 3I to a hybrid but I like having the 4I for longer, low punches. If the longest iron you have is a 7, what do you do if you have a 160 punch shot that you have keep low?

I have no issue with hitting low punch shots with any of the hybrids (the Callaway X2 Hot Pro hybrids actually have a smaller face than their normal hybrids).  But I play the ball back in my stance just like I would with any other club and take the same abbreviated follow through (I've used all of the hybrids to punch a low running shot, so far I've found that the hybrid punch seems to roll farther when I'm hitting a punch shot.

But how many low 4 iron punch shots do you really hit versus using a 4 iron for a normal shot.  For me it's better to have more accuracy on the fuller shot than the minimal benefit that I might get once every 10 rounds from needing to hit a 160 yard punch shot.  And if I don't think I could pull off the low punch with my hybrids, I would use a 7 iron and get it as close to the green as possible and then try and get up and down (which I do most of the time, as I've aged I've stopped trying to pull of the miracle shot and use my short game to save my a**).  I'm thinking even having the 4 iron to hit the punch shot, how often are you really hitting the green?  Not saying it will work for everyone, but I almost wish I would've changed earlier.

It has helped me immensely, for example I was having the shanks with any club over a 7 iron, all of the par 3's at my course are 175-190 yds.  I played all summer using my normal clubs, and I would on average double one or two of these holes every round.  Shank a ball out of bounds, pull hook it to avoid the shank into the water.  Still would shoot 79- low 80's during the round, handicap went from 4 to 9.  Switched to the hybrids toward the end of the year, once I got used to the clubs, last 3 scores 76,75, & 76.  Played 13 holes last month before the cold weather hit and was 1 over.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Don't bet on this!

Recall the scene from Tin Cup when Roy McAvoy (Kevin Costner) loses a bet to his nemesis David Simms (Don Johnson) on who can hit a 7.iron 200 yards. David spins his stance 45 degrees and hits the 7i into the middle of a roadway, and the ball bounces well beyond 200 yards.

Just a word of caution...

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I could hit a 4i a 1/4 mile...if I found the right road...........

So now we know the user name for David Simms

Don't bet on this!

Recall the scene from Tin Cup when Roy McAvoy (Kevin Costner) loses a bet to his nemesis David Simms (Don Johnson) on who can hit a 7.iron 200 yards. David spins his stance 45 degrees and hits the 7i into the middle of a roadway, and the ball bounces well beyond 200 yards.

Just a word of caution...

WUTiger, did you not read these..??? :-P:-D

Fast forward to 10:40 in the video. Brian Taaffe hit something like 280 yards with his 4i. He got a near green on a 293 yard par 3.

After watching the clip, it's probably more realistic that he hit a 4-iron 240-250 downwind.    Par3/exec courses are notorious for overstating yardages on the short 4s, but lets assume 293 is accurate.   Figure 270 to the front edge of the green and he was a full 25-30yds short of the green.   These are pretty good players and this isn't unusual to hit a 4-iron that far downwind.......IMO.

My 2 cents.///

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

After watching the clip, it's probably more realistic that he hit a 4-iron 240-250 downwind.    Par3/exec courses are notorious for overstating yardages on the short 4s, but lets assume 293 is accurate.   Figure 270 to the front edge of the green and he was a full 25-30yds short of the green.   These are pretty good players and this isn't unusual to hit a 4-iron that far downwind.......IMO.

My 2 cents.///

I just went into Google Earth and punched in Tooth Course Orange County National FL.  Hole number 9 is just above the big green circle area when my screen shows up.  If you go by the center of the second tee box to the center of the green it shows 298 yards.  I moved his tee area up a bit going by the marker on the ground and measured to where his ball rested near the sand bunker.   It looks like he hit it pretty much 268 yards going by my calculations.  That's pretty damn far in my book.

... give me time, I'm still working on the all this grassy knoll banter that happened in Dallas.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Note: This thread is 3361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!