IGNORED

What do Y'all Think of Stephanie Wei?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, she just got her PGA Tour credential revoked because she used periscope during a Monday practice round: http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/golf-reporter-loses-credentials-for-using-periscope-during-practice-round.html

Mind numbing decision from the PGA Tour. Can absolutely understand why they wouldn't want her using periscope (which is a video streaming app, for those of you who don't know). A warning would have sufficed, I'm sure. But, sure, alienate someone with a good following among young people for it instead.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, she just got her PGA Tour credential revoked because she used periscope during a Monday practice round: http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/golf-reporter-loses-credentials-for-using-periscope-during-practice-round.html

Mind numbing decision from the PGA Tour. Can absolutely understand why they wouldn't want her using periscope (which is a video streaming app, for those of you who don't know). A warning would have sufficed, I'm sure. But, sure, alienate someone with a good following among young people for it instead.

She shouldn't be recording players without their permission or at least making them aware they are being recorded.  CA is one of the states that requires dual party consent if conversations are being recorded, so in effect she was breaking the law.

I laughed when she wrote "It feels personal", I think she's lucky she's not in more trouble.

Joe Paradiso

She shouldn't be recording players without their permission or at least making them aware they are being recorded.  CA is one of the states that requires dual party consent if conversations are being recorded, so in effect she was breaking the law.

I laughed when she wrote "It feels personal", I think she's lucky she's not in more trouble.

Oh, please. You think mvmac asked for permission for every single swing he recorded in the thread on the event? I would guess the answer is probably no.

And, I bet that is not a real law. Think of the paparazzi in LA.

-- Daniel

Oh, please. You think mvmac asked for permission for every single swing he recorded in the thread on the event? I would guess the answer is probably no.

And, I bet that is not a real law. Think of the paparazzi in LA.

Yeah, I think @newtogolf was having a little Donald Sterling flashback there. :-P All she did was try and record golf ... I imagine she wasn't looking to catch Jason Dufner saying things about his wife so she could broadcast them to TMZ or anything.

Cameras are allowed at practice rounds, usually - which is why we get the awesome footage we get from Mike - so the players are all well aware that they're being recorded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadMan

I use Periscope and was hoping someone would do what Wei did. The PGA Tour, it is in the dark ages w/resp to broadcasting its product afaik. Periscope/Meerkat is live streaming, only available for 24 hours and as far as I can tell, difficult to pull a hard copy.

Revoking her credentials for the season is a bit much. Watching on Periscope can only encourage more people to tune into the live broadcast.

The demographic they'd be afraid of losing mostly have never even heard of Periscope.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Interesting article/oped about Wei losing her credentials:  http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/pga-tour-revokes-stephanie-weis-credentials

Ty Votaw's comments, specifically this one, sounds similar to what professional pool players were saying when ESPN was trying to negotiate TV rights with them... and when was the last time you saw men playing 9-ball on ESPN?

Quote:
Who owns those rights? We do, not you. If you want access to those rights, you have to pay for it.

Obviously, golf on TV is not going away tomorrow but that attitude is similar to what killed professional, televised 9-ball.

Current golf coverage on the Internet is really bad (esp. compared with other sports) and the PGA Tour needs to understand that a lot of young people (myself included) don't have cable because of the plethora of options available.   If they don't provide better coverage, videos, etc. they're going to continue losing fans, which according to Votaw is what they care about unless money is involved:

Quote:
We exist to entertain the fans, that is correct,” he said. “That is not the issue in play here. The issue is who owns the content from Monday to Monday at tournament sites. If every reporter was allowed to post videos or engage in other prohibited acts we wouldn’t have the ability to enter into exclusive relationships or merchandize content.

:doh:

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupa View Post

Interesting article/oped about Wei losing her credentials:  http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/pga-tour-revokes-stephanie-weis-credentials

I wonder how many were aware of this:

Quote:
Votaw says it is rare for the Tour to revoke a credential, and that as a matter of course first-time offenders of any Tour policy are spoken-to and given a second chance. At this year’s Phoenix Open, Wei posted to her Instagram account a few short video clips of Tiger Woods practicing. At the Tour’s insistence, she removed the videos. Wei was warned that further violations of Tour policy could result in her credential being pulled. After the Periscope clips were posted, "We called her bluff,” says Votaw.

Ahhhhh, changes things a bit, doesn't it?

Though there was no "bluff" here and Votaw should really choose his words more carefully.

Anyway, given this information:

• I agree that the PGA Tour was within its rights to revoke her credentials.
  • I agree that Wei was stupid in pushing it again after just being warned ten weeks ago.
  • I agree that the PGA Tour needs to overhaul their media policy, because in the end, I don't think that this should result in a loss of credentials.

I attend some PGA Tour events on media credentials. Mike records swings from the PGA Tour range. Where do you draw the line? Periscope isn't really a "broadcast" (in the traditional sense, which is part of the issue…) and nobody who isn't a die-hard golf fan is going to watch a Monday practice round. Those golfers aren't the ones you're worrying about. Anyway, am I to worry about filming golfers on the course? Taking photos? Where's the line drawn? What if I take a FaceTime call from a PGA Tour stop during a lazy Monday practice round? Is that cause for loss of credentials, because I am "broadcasting" my background to someone else?

P.S. I know Shipnuck and Votaw have a history, but, sheesh, chill out Votaw:

Quote:
Says Votaw,”Who owns those rights? We do, not you. If you want access to those rights, you have to pay for it. When [Wei] posts unauthorized videos, she’s stealing. I don’t understand how you can’t get that through your head.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
Quote:

I wonder how many were aware of this:

Quote:
Votaw says it is rare for the Tour to revoke a credential, and that as a matter of course first-time offenders of any Tour policy are spoken-to and given a second chance. At this year’s Phoenix Open, Wei posted to her Instagram account a few short video clips of Tiger Woods practicing. At the Tour’s insistence, she removed the videos. Wei was warned that further violations of Tour policy could result in her credential being pulled. After the Periscope clips were posted, "We called her bluff,” says Votaw.

Ahhhhh, changes things a bit, doesn't it?

Though there was no "bluff" here and Votaw should really choose his words more carefully.

Anyway, given this information:

• I agree that the PGA Tour was within its rights to revoke her credentials.
  • I agree that Wei was stupid in pushing it again after just being warned ten weeks ago.
  • I agree that the PGA Tour needs to overhaul their media policy, because in the end, I don't think that this should result in a loss of credentials.

I attend some PGA Tour events on media credentials. Mike records swings from the PGA Tour range. Where do you draw the line? Periscope isn't really a "broadcast" (in the traditional sense, which is part of the issue…) and nobody who isn't a die-hard golf fan is going to watch a Monday practice round. Those golfers aren't the ones you're worrying about. Anyway, am I to worry about filming golfers on the course? Taking photos? Where's the line drawn? What if I take a FaceTime call from a PGA Tour stop during a lazy Monday practice round? Is that cause for loss of credentials, because I am "broadcasting" my background to someone else?

P.S. I know Shipnuck and Votaw have a history, but, sheesh, chill out Votaw:

Quote:
Says Votaw,”Who owns those rights? We do, not you. If you want access to those rights, you have to pay for it. When [Wei] posts unauthorized videos, she’s stealing. I don’t understand how you can’t get that through your head.”

Yeah, if she's a repeat offender, then the PGA Tour is within its rights to take whatever disciplinary action necessary. I did read in comments that she was a repeat offender. Some said 5 times, some said 7, but those were anonymous commenters.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think a 2 week suspension would have sent the exact same message. PGA Tour can obviously do what they want with her credentials, but that doesn't make it a smart decision.

Plus, she's young, a woman, and a minority. The punishment makes it seem like they are targeting her. When you're a sport many people see as exclusive, not for young people or women, and then you blackball one of what, two women, that cover the PGA tour, it's a terrible look.

-- Daniel

I follow about a dozen PGA tour reporters, Stephanie was one of my favorites.

IMO the tour is losing more than they are winning in this. If they were trying to sell the broadcast rights to practice rounds it would be one thing, but stopping someone from posting clips of unbroadcast practice rounds seems like it it lose/lose for the fans.

Players play, tough players win!

Quote:

...If they don't provide better coverage, videos, etc. they're going to continue losing fans, which according to Votaw is what they care about unless money is involved:

Quote:
We exist to entertain the fans, that is correct,” he said. “That is not the issue in play here. The issue is who owns the content from Monday to Monday at tournament sites. If every reporter was allowed to post videos or engage in other prohibited acts we wouldn’t have the ability to enter into exclusive relationships or merchandize content.

Obviously their primary concern is money, and he made no bones about it in the quote above.  They don't want anybody "broadcasting" one single frame of coverage of a PGA Pro or event that they're not getting paid for.  Votaw's premise above is ridiculous - nobody is going to quit watching tournaments on television just because they can go to somebody's blog and see a few 10-second video clips.  They couldn't care less about losing fans - as long as they can enter into multimillion dollar contracts for their events, it wouldn't matter to them if ten million people or ten people are watching.  They also realize that even though golf fans may be pissed about them yanking Wei's credentials, the vast majority of them won't be pissed enough about it to let it affect their viewing habits.  Even if it cost them a hundred thousand fans, that wouldn't affect them in any way.  On the flip side, they're not down with the idea of gaining a few hundred thousand fans if it means that came from them watching/reading "unauthorized" coverage of PGA events that the PGA Tour didn't get paid for.

Read this thread: http://thesandtrap.com/t/81694/pga-tour-press-release-new-digital-subscription-service-pga-tour-live-set-for-debut The PGA Tour is going to launch a subscription service offering "expanded coverage" of PGA Tour events.  The "expanded coverage" is minimal and still doesn't include practice rounds, yet people have already expressed a willingness to pay for it.  The PGA Tour will dictate exactly what you see and when you see it, and they know that people will line up to pay for it even if it's not what they really want.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read this thread: http://thesandtrap.com/t/81694/pga-tour-press-release-new-digital-subscription-service-pga-tour-live-set-for-debut  The PGA Tour is going to launch a subscription service offering "expanded coverage" of PGA Tour events.  The "expanded coverage" is minimal and still doesn't include practice rounds, yet people have already expressed a willingness to pay for it.  The PGA Tour will dictate exactly what you see and when you see it, and they know that people will line up to pay for it even if it's not what they really want.

I chuckled when I read that thread.  Thursday and Friday morning rounds?  I have a pretty good idea of what my boss would say if he came into my office and I was watching golf.

I agree that the PGA Tour was within its rights to revoke Wei's credentials but I also think it was a bad idea.  I also think that they need to provide more online content from Monday - Wednesday.  And I'm not talking about a collection of instagrams, twitters, and facebook postings.  I can't see how short videos or extra interviews etc. from practice days would devalue the rest of the "product" and it would keep people more engaged throughout the week (which would then get them watching on the weekend, thus increasing the value of the product.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

If Wei was warned then they were within their rights to revoke her credentials for the season.  I don't see why her being female or a minority would/should influence their decision.

My guess is the PGA Tour has their reasons for not wanting others to "broadcast" practice rounds, possible reasons are oversaturation, maintaining high product standards (tournament play only) aired, or future revenue opportunities.  You typically don't see qualifying laps from NASCAR except for Dayton 500.  You don't typically see baseball intra-squad games during spring training.

Every sport has some control over "broadcasting" their product, they own the product, so it's within their rights to determine how it's packaged and broadcast.

Joe Paradiso

The Tour better get its policies updated. Because the next Periscope, whatever that is, will be created and it'll be further behind.

Vine -> Periscope -> ???

Steve

I think a 2 week suspension would have sent the exact same message. PGA Tour can obviously do what they want with her credentials, but that doesn't make it a smart decision.

I agree with this.  Heck, make it a 4 week, 8 week suspension.  She has done a lot to bring attention to the game that that shouldn't of been discounted when the decision for punishment was made.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Periscope And Meerkat Were The Real Winners Of Mayweather Vs. Pacquiao

Dick Costolo might regret his tweet, but a can of worms has been opened.

Quote:
Despite their best efforts, HBO and Showtime still managed to fail against piracy during Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. The pay cable giants launched a preemptive strike against several streaming sites in the lead up to the fight, but it seems that they couldn’t contain a few key avenues: Periscope and Meerkat.

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/05/periscope-mayweather-pacquiao-streaming-piracy/

Periscope Piracy Sets Up Grudge Match: Hollywood vs. Twitter

Quote:

Livestreaming has never been treated as serious a piracy threat as torrent sites or content lockers, but that looks about to change. That said, let’s keep the threat here in perspective: While there’s always going to be some leakage for TV content via livestreaming, the amount that will go on will pale in comparison to the amount available in other forms of piracy that don’t require the perpetrator to be actively transmitting at a particular time.

Neverthless expect to hear from fearful rights holders in the coming days, and not just in boxing. The NHL has already suggested banning the app from its arenas; transmitting from within an arena (as opposed to in front of TV) is actually a separate legal can of worms. And though the MPAA and NATO haven’t shown much concern for the livestream threat yet, it’s hard to believe that equanimity will hold much longer.

http://variety.com/2015/digital/opinion/periscope-piracy-sets-up-grudge-match-hollywood-vs-twitter-1201486298/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2015/05/03/mayweather-pacquiao-periscope/

Steve

Sounds as if she was pushing the boundaries and thought any penalty would be less than the remainder of the season.

She lost.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!