IGNORED

Time to clamp down on moronic heckler's and camera phones?

golfaddict1
Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unless the PGA Tour has changed the rules since the 1980s it should be legal to wear ear plugs if you could wear headsets and listen to music.

Canada's very own Richard Zikol or "Disco Dick" used to.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/golf/disco-dick-entering-canadian-golf-hall-of-fame

Decision from the USGA. It would be illegal to listen to music or wear earplugs for the purpose of eliminating noise/distractions

Rule 14-3

Wearing Headphones or Earplugs During Stipulated Round

Q.May I wear headphones or earplugs while playing in the state amateur?

A.

The use of headphones or earplugs to eliminate noise or other distractions is prohibited under Rule 14-3.

Decision 14-3/16 covers listening to music or some other broadcast during a round. Here is the text of that Decision:

Rule 14-3a states that a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that “might assist him making a stroke or in his play.” Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of another hole.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even more aggravating than the click of a camera is the random ringing of cell phones, for those who aren't smart enough to silence the ringers. I have no problem with dis-allowing cell phones, and apparently the USGA didn't either.  My wife and I were marshals at the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst.  Cell phones were not allowed past the metal detectors, with the exception of those of us with prior approval.  I don't remember a check stand for phones, I believe those who showed up with phones had to get back on the shuttle bus and take them back to their cars.  The policy was very well publicized in advance.  Would other tournaments consider this?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I think not the phones should be banned, some photos are a good souvenir for many people. what's the problem is the sound. There are so many officials at every event, it shouldn't be a problem to maybe give out "strikes" to everyone who distracts the players...three strikes and you are out of the tournament.

WITB:

| 3-Wood | :callaway: Razr Fit 15°

|  Hybrid | :cobra: Baffler T-Rail 18°

|   Irons  | :tmade: TP CB 5-PW

|  Wedge | :tmade: TP 56/12

|  Putter  | :odyssey: Versa 1w

|    Ball   |  Dx2

|    Bag   | :callaway: Standbag

Decision from the USGA. It would be illegal to listen to music or wear earplugs for the purpose of eliminating noise/distractions

No more Disco Dick ??????????

I have been at quite a few European tour tournaments including 4 Open championships and I've never heard any"You're the MAAAAAN!!" moronic cries.I feel sure the fans themselves would tell the numpty to behave himself.

I've noticed the exact same thing when watching a couple of the European events on TV.   I wasn't sure if that was the exception rather than the rule, but it was nice to watch a tournament without all the idiots yelling "You da man!", "Mashed potatoes!", "Boo-yah!", "In the hole!", etc. The problem over here (in the 'States) is that if the fans told one of these mouth-breathing morons to behave himself, it would just result in a brawl.

As far as the overall problem itself, I've often wondered why Pros don't (at least occasionally) practice under those conditions.  I'd think it would be beneficial to play some practice rounds/range sessions with a few people along randomly blasting music, clicking their cameras, yelling, crumpling water bottles, blowing air horns, heckling them while they swing, etc.  It seems to me that if they could get accustomed to focusing through major disruptions, the minor ones in tournament conditions may not seem as bothersome.  I understand the thought that they shouldn't have to prepare for such things and fans should be more respectful, but the reality is that there's a lot of boorish behavior in the galleries and it's (unfortunately) probably not going away any time soon.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I'm going out on limb here but I'd be willing to bet the guys yelling goofy stuff at golf tournaments wear denim jeans to play golf.

There's nothing wrong with wearing denim jeans to golf on public courses where it's allowed by the dress code. I do it frequently because jeans are what I wear on a daily basis and, living ~30 minute outside of town, I don't have time to change after school if I want to go golf.

I wonder what would happen if the PGA started offering a discount or rebate when you walk into the event should you leave a camera or phone behind? Maybe a voucher for a pair of water bottles or a sandwich if you were to do so? That could be a way to stop the distractions of phone cameras going off in swings.

Being obnoxious is an attitude not a dress preference. I see plenty of well dressed *******s at the golf course. Not a big fan of anecdotal evidence but being where I live jeans are common on local courses. Many are the most friendly and well cared for courses I play. I can think of only one exception and the course staff and clientele are friendly but course conditions not so much. But green fees are $20ish riding 18 so it is what it is.

Dave :-)

There's nothing wrong with wearing denim jeans to golf on public courses where it's allowed by the dress code. I do it frequently because jeans are what I wear on a daily basis and, living ~30 minute outside of town, I don't have time to change after school if I want to go golf. I wonder what would happen if the PGA started offering a discount or rebate when you walk into the event should you leave a camera or phone behind? Maybe a voucher for a pair of water bottles or a sandwich if you were to do so? That could be a way to stop the distractions of phone cameras going off in swings.

No denim is allowed where I play. Personal preference I guess, I just don’t think jeans fit in with golf. To each his own. I don’t advocate or allow casual dress Fridays in the office either. I do like the idea of incentivizing “leaving the devices behind.”

The yelling is stupid.  So is banning photography.  And banning beer.  Beer is delicious and people should drink more of it.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I served as a Hole Marshal for the 2013 Senior PGA Championship at Bellerive CC in St. Louis.  From the Spectator's Guide, here are some rule excerpts on cameras, iPhones and shouting from gallery:

Cameras are only allowed at Bellerive Country Club on Tuesday and Wednesday, and are not permitted on-site during Championship Rounds, Thursday through Sunday. Mobile device cameras may not be used to take photos during Championship Rounds. Autographs may be requested and given at the contestants’ convenience at the Practice Range and Putting Green during Practice Rounds only.

MOBILE DEVICE POLICY

Those wishing to use their mobile devices will be asked to adjust the volume setting to “silent” or “vibrate” while at the Championship. • Guests may accept or make phone calls in designated areas throughout the golf course, primarily near concession stands. • Digital messaging and checking data is allowed on the golf course. • Mobile device camera use is NOT permitted during the Championship Rounds. • No video recording will be permitted at any time during Championship Week. Spectators attempting to use their mobile device in unauthorized areas or in ways not sanctioned will be asked to surrender the device and pick it up at a designated location after they depart the golf course.

CONDUCT, CUSTOMS AND ETIQUETTE

Please be advised of the following standards of conduct and etiquette: • Everyone is requested to display traditional customs of etiquette, decorum and behavior, and to obey all Championship policies, signs and verbal instructions of Championship Officials. • For the safety of everyone and in keeping with policy established at major sporting events, running is considered to be unacceptable behavior. • Although cheering and positive gallery responses to great play are encouraged, unsolicited and consistent calls from the gallery are prohibited. • Please stay behind the gallery ropes and cooperate with the Marshals. • Please kneel or sit if you are in the front row and remain still throughout each shot.

Full guide: http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/golf/golfm/release/seniorpga/sites/seniorpga/files/docs/13_SR_Spectator_Guide.pdf

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I served as a Hole Marshal for the 2013 Senior PGA Championship at Bellerive CC in St. Louis.  From the Spectator's Guide, here are some rule excerpts on cameras, iPhones and shouting from gallery:

So how many were ejected for yelling mashed potato or get in the hole?????

I'd like to see the fans turn and beat the ones yelling to a bloody pulp. I'd pay to watch that.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

This x100000 Euro fans/South African fans rarely behave like these double digit IQ, mouth breathing morons. Yes they paid money for the tickets, but not to disrupt the players and display their epic stupidity for all to see. If you can take pictures without it making a sound, go for it. But save the yelling for another venue

Sure, they don't yell at the South African Open but those damn vevuzelas after every shot are frickin awful. ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The yelling is stupid.  So is banning photography.  And banning beer.  Beer is delicious and people should drink more of it.

And don't forget what Cliff Clavin of Cheers fame said about beer, "Well ya see, Norm, it’s like this… A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

• Upvote 1

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Being obnoxious is an attitude not a dress preference. I see plenty of well dressed *******s at the golf course. Not a big fan of anecdotal evidence but being where I live jeans are common on local courses. Many are the most friendly and well cared for courses I play. I can think of only one exception and the course staff and clientele are friendly but course conditions not so much. But green fees are $20ish riding 18 so it is what it is.

It's interesting how different parts of the country are, well, different about dress codes.  Growing up in Southern California, it was pretty much a given that you didn't wear denim of any kind on a golf course and a collared shirt was required.  The courses that allowed denim and/or t-shirts were few and far between, and they were usually dumpy courses anyway.  I wear jeans or shorts (sometimes even denim shorts) just about every day of my life, but even though a few of the courses where I live now allow it, I never, ever wear denim or t-shirts to a golf course.  It was so ingrained in me from the beginning that it just doesn't feel right.  I'm about the furthest thing from a golf 'fashionista' that you could ever find and not a snappy dresser in general, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

My home course doesn't allow denim of any kind, requires a collared shirt and even states that the shirt must be tucked in (the latter of which they don't enforce).  When the snowbirds overrun us during the winter months, I'm amazed by how many of them show up in jeans, jean shorts, even denim overalls, and are astonished (and often indignant) when they're told of the course's dress code and not allowed to go out.  There was a group from the northern states last year that we referred to as the "denim league" because on the first day of their league play, we turned away about 60% of them because they were wearing jeans.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

It's interesting how different parts of the country are, well, different about dress codes.  Growing up in Southern California, it was pretty much a given that you didn't wear denim of any kind on a golf course and a collared shirt was required.  The courses that allowed denim and/or t-shirts were few and far between, and they were usually dumpy courses anyway.  I wear jeans or shorts (sometimes even denim shorts) just about every day of my life, but even though a few of the courses where I live now allow it, I never, ever wear denim or t-shirts to a golf course.  It was so ingrained in me from the beginning that it just doesn't feel right.  I'm about the furthest thing from a golf 'fashionista' that you could ever find and not a snappy dresser in general, but I just can't bring myself to do it. My home course doesn't allow denim of any kind, requires a collared shirt and even states that the shirt must be tucked in (the latter of which they don't enforce).  When the snowbirds overrun us during the winter months, I'm amazed by how many of them show up in jeans, jean shorts, even denim overalls, and are astonished (and often indignant) when they're told of the course's dress code and not allowed to go out.  There was a group from the northern states last year that we referred to as the "denim league" because on the first day of their league play, we turned away about 60% of them because they were wearing jeans.

Re: doesn't allow denim of any kind, requires a collared shirt As was the case where I grew up and play now. I don't even wear jeans to church. I have never seen a PGA pro wear denim during a sanctioned event. It's too casual. I stick by my assumption that a denim-wearing golfer is more likely to barrack at a pro tourney.

its appears people dressed in slacks and collared shirts are more likely to profile ... :-D:-D:-D
  • Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Must be regional - I play all public courses in a tri state area & I've never seen anyone play in jeans unless its really late in the season & nobody's on the course

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!