IGNORED

140mph + head speed, but driver is still bad.

Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

BTW the net is about 240 yards, anything over that is great. I was told to to stop using my driver and spoon as as I was going over the nets.

what is the ball position for the driver versus the 3W? It looks like the launch is similar. Also, if you put the camera so it lines up with your toe line, it is a better angle for analysis. I recommend starting a my swing thread. Some of the better players and site instructors may be able to help.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Damn. That's a lot of speed. Can I have 10mph? Id imagine you'll have to decide if you want a long drive swing or a golf course swing before anyone can give you really solid advice on mechanics.

Dave, That is very impressive!!!! Get someone to help fine tune you a little, and you'll be able to get to where you want to be. I'm curious to your follow thru. It stops before your hands and club wrap around you. I'm not criticizing it, and it may not be possible due to physical limitations, muscle bulk, etc. If I knew more about it I wouldn't struggle the way I do. Possibly, you could use a 2xx flex or stiffer shaft. Again, I'm just throwing out things that I've heard from others. looking good, Jack

Jack

Impressive.

Both the swing speed, and that fact that you actually backed up your claims.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Hey! So you're not trolling!

Not the 140-150mph swing speed that was originally claimed but still impressive nonetheless.  Was expecting you to be either a troll or clueless.

As for swing advice, there are plenty of members here that can help you. Start a my swing thread and contribute more on the forums and you'll get some good advice.

Just so you know, I was a little drunk last night when posting. Sorry for the remarks, I was rather surprised with what I posted yesterday.

Sorry to all those people I offended, it was the 12 pack talking , not me.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmac20

Hey! So you're not trolling!

Not the 140-150mph swing speed that was originally claimed but still impressive nonetheless.  Was expecting you to be either a troll or clueless.

As for swing advice, there are plenty of members here that can help you. Start a my swing thread and contribute more on the forums and you'll get some good advice.

Just so you know, I was a little drunk last night when posting. Sorry for the remarks, I was rather surprised with what I posted yesterday.

Sorry to all those people I offended, it was the 12 pack talking , not me.

Cheers.

Hmm.  Those Japanese beers are rather tame.   Did you mix that with something harder?

Say, Dave.  Did you get the latest SW update for the GoPro?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Sorry to burst your bubble, they use meters per second  not kph( I am swinging up to 67mps with the driver) I know my head speed is what it is, I drive a 2 iron regularly 270-290 yards. I suppose I am going to get the ,"your full of bullshit" from people like you. Should I post a YouTube vid of my swing just so you internet warriors can get your satisfaction. In the meantime, if anyone else who is serious about helping, some would be appreciated. EDIT: @ boogielicious , I just saw you post, I will check it out.

No offense, but someone that truly strikes a ball almost 300 yards with an iron but shoots 80's, must not be very straight or there is another serious issue somewhere, doubting you three putt 8x a round.. Perhaps let off the gas and reassess. Put accuracy as more of a premium or focus on the short game, or whatever you are losing all the strokes too. When you reach the next level, you will realize all the macho long ball stuff just means they hit it further.....offline and card less than desirable scores... while you smile and take their money methodically staying within yourself and golfing your ball solidly. In short, scale it back, no need to happy Gilmore crush every shot, focus on tempo and and controlled balance, with your length you will improve quickly.

Impressive speed ... without saying anything about technique, the lack of balance at the end of the swing, tells you something.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Impressive speed ... without saying anything about technique, the lack of balance at the end of the swing, tells you something.

Hmm.. Controlled balance, now that's profound!

what is the ball position for the driver versus the 3W? It looks like the launch is similar. Also, if you put the camera so it lines up with your toe line, it is a better angle for analysis. I recommend starting a my swing thread. Some of the better players and site instructors may be able to help.

It was a little further back than the driver. But after I was told at the 2:45 mark in the video that I had to stop using the driver , I was trying to keep the ball a little lower. The way the driving range is setup, it may be hard to get a shot like that, but I will see what I can do.

Dave,

That is very impressive!!!! Get someone to help fine tune you a little, and you'll be able to get to where you want to be.

I'm curious to your follow thru. It stops before your hands and club wrap around you.

I'm not criticizing it, and it may not be possible due to physical limitations, muscle bulk, etc.

If I knew more about it I wouldn't struggle the way I do.

Possibly, you could use a 2xx flex or stiffer shaft. Again, I'm just throwing out things that I've heard from others.

looking good,

Jack

Thanks, not sure what you mean by that, but I know I could use a stiffer shaft.

Impressive.

Both the swing speed, and that fact that you actually backed up your claims.

Thanks, although I could have been a little more courteous to people, they were just trying to help. My apologizes for that and to those I may have offended. I can't edit my post so maybe the moderators can delete those offending posts for me?

Hmm.  Those Japanese beers are rather tame.   Did you mix that with something harder?

Say, Dave.  Did you get the latest SW update for the GoPro?

These babies are 8% alcohol, they knock you off your feet. No, I still have yet to update. Not only that in all my stupidness , I recorded that session in 720p @ 30 frames per second. Next time I will try and get a good slow mo vid of what I am doing wrong

No offense, but someone that truly strikes a ball almost 300 yards with an iron but shoots 80's, must not be very straight or there is another serious issue somewhere, doubting you three putt 8x a round.. Perhaps let off the gas and reassess. Put accuracy as more of a premium or focus on the short game, or whatever you are losing all the strokes too. When you reach the next level, you will realize all the macho long ball stuff just means they hit it further.....offline

and card less than desirable scores... while you smile and take their money methodically staying within yourself and golfing your ball solidly.

In short, scale it back, no need to happy Gilmore crush every shot, focus on tempo and and controlled balance, with your length you will improve quickly.

I suck with the putter and my short game is nothing to write home about. All due to not being able to get to the course more than once a month. I am usually pretty straight, especially with my irons. If I left my driver and 3 wood at home, I would probably score a lot better.

I was letting the club go as I was miss hitting a lot of the times. You can see with my irons that the balance is much better.

Anyway thanks to all who kept up with this thread.

Not sure about the device you are using or how accurate it is. Surely if you were swinging the driver 130mph + the distance shown underneath the mph should be way over 300 yards. On the driver swing it showed 132mph but only 298 yards. This distance would be calculated with a fixed smash factor (probably around 1.45) so surely this should be way over 300 yards on the device. If your not getting the distance on your driver that you think you should with your mph your smash factor will be low. I have been watching a few youtube vids of peter finch trying to get to 350 yards and his swing is around 125mph and not to be rude is technically a lot more sound. Even when he steps it up he loses some technical form. I'm no pro but even I could see many things which I would be working on rather than just chasing club head speed.

Not sure about the device you are using or how accurate it is. Surely if you were swinging the driver 130mph + the distance shown underneath the mph should be way over 300 yards. On the driver swing it showed 132mph but only 298 yards. This distance would be calculated with a fixed smash factor (probably around 1.45) so surely this should be way over 300 yards on the device. If your not getting the distance on your driver that you think you should with your mph your smash factor will be low.

I have been watching a few youtube vids of peter finch trying to get to 350 yards and his swing is around 125mph and not to be rude is technically a lot more sound. Even when he steps it up he loses some technical form.

I'm no pro but even I could see many things which I would be working on rather than just chasing club head speed.

Ahh, so that is what that number is. I did not change that setting, I can't remember what it is right now as I am at work, but it was not 1.45, it was much lower than that. From what I have read on the net it is one of the most accurate ones, it cost me nearly $400, just so I could say I was not telling a fat one on the internet.  I was going over the net at the range and the I was told it is 240 to the net and it is a least 100ft high. Anyway, I can regularly hit my 3 wood around the 320-330 mark and I have hit the driver 370 on a flat hole with relatively no wind. I do have people to back up those claims, but again that probably does me no good here. I just watched that video as well and I see what you are saying.

My main issue is that I am not consistent with the driver and as I was told at the retail shop, I am putting too much back spin on the driver shots. Also, I rarely seem to hit the sweet spot, something I can do a lot more with the 3 wood. I don't understand that, the wood has a much bigger sweet spot, so technically speaking I should have a better chance of hitting it. Maybe it is a psychological thing???

The very bottom number seems to be the smash factor determined by the swing speed monitor. And I was mainly in the low 1.20's so it seems this machine does not have a fixed smash factor.

The very bottom number seems to be the smash factor determined by the swing speed monitor. And I was mainly in the low 1.20's so it seems this machine does not have a fixed smash factor.

I think most likely it was due to the range balls.  They will be limited flight so the ball speed won't be very high compared to the club head speed (hence the low smash factor).  Next time you make it to the course try it with a real ball and (assuming the strike is good) that number should be substantially higher.

Brad

I think most likely it was due to the range balls.  They will be limited flight so the ball speed won't be very high compared to the club head speed (hence the low smash factor).  Next time you make it to the course try it with a real ball and (assuming the strike is good) that number should be substantially higher.

Great point Brad, I did not think about that.

This is the first time I have ever filmed myself swing and I am wondering if I am rushing the back swing?

All arms and chest, and why not? If I was built like that, I would be too. BTW, the separation of your arms from your body at set up allows you freely whip your arms through the ball at warp speed, much like around the body baseball swing with lot less rotation of lower body. Yeah, long drive contests have ton of this type of swings. 'Straight' golf is a tad bit more up and down and arms also don't flail that freely. Clubface control next too impossible consistently. Only a last nano second hand adjustment can save you. Sometimes your overcorrect/ sometimes under. Two way miss all day.

For example if you actually let your arms hang a little more naturally underneath your sternum you will feel a little cramped and feel that there is no way enough space between your body and the ball to pull the club through as you will naturally feel the urge to keep your entire body and arms behind the ball and apply a bench press kind of squeeze at impact, but in a more technically correct swing (for sake of repeatability and directional control) the arms move through impact a little closer to the body with a feeling of 'painting' over the ball. This can only happen if you scale back the amount of effort in your move through the ball. Hence some advise in some of the posts to reduce your SS a bit. Go ahead, you seem like you can afford it unlike some of us who struggle to get it up in the upper 90s.

A good instructor can really clean this up in your case. You are honestly not too far. Now if your goal is to top 140 mph then I guess you are instinctively on the right path, cuz' at that speed it just boils down to simply more of what you are doing.

Nice.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

The video did look like you are swinging out of your shoes to try and get the numbers you said you could get.  This is where the dreaded slice will come into play as it seems a lot of those shots were.  If you even dialed it back to 130, which should still push the ball out there 340-350 you would be MUCH better off.  If you got your swing to be more lower body and more of a twist instead of armsy, you might even gain the speed back without trying to "kill" it.

The video did look like you are swinging out of your shoes to try and get the numbers you said you could get.  This is where the dreaded slice will come into play as it seems a lot of those shots were.  If you even dialed it back to 130, which should still push the ball out there 340-350 you would be MUCH better off.  If you got your swing to be more lower body and more of a twist instead of armsy, you might even gain the speed back without trying to "kill" it.

Yeah, it seemed like he was winded after every shot. That's too much exertion for any golf swing. Lots of bad mechanical things happen when someone tries to go 100% every swing.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!