IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The more I think and analyze, the more I really Phil this week and I'm going to end up putting a few bucks on him this wek. A few things I like:

1) He likes this course, he's positive about this course and he knows this course. And I think the winner is someone who will APPRECIATE this course, which is also why I like Spieth a lot. These two guys "understand" CB.

2) He won in Muirfield in 2013 and this setup reminds me a lot of that, albeit a little longer, but he can handle that. Very brown and dry.

3) He's very motivated. While he hasn't played in the smaller events well, he's finished 2nd in his last two majors which tells me he can still turn it on in the big events when he wants. Just maybe not as much in the Crowne Plaza Intivationals.

It's really hard to pick anyone this week, but one thing I definitely think is the winner is going to be someone who's not whining about the course, and that takes half the field already out of play. Like Spieth said, if you're complaining about this course, you're probably not going to be a factor on Sunday anyways.

When they said average score for the US Am in stroke play was 79.3, that was shocking. So was the USGA, and they thoroughly watered the course for match play to make the course "playable."

Looking at TGC intro the course, I hope they wet the course down because some of these greens ... I don't see how they hold the ball unless they are on the softer side.

This ... is going to be interesting.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When they said average score for the US Am in stroke play was 79.3, that was shocking. So was the USGA, and they thoroughly watered the course for match play to make the course "playable." Looking at TGC intro the course, I hope they wet the course down because some of these greens ... I don't see how they hold the ball unless they are on the softer side. This ... is going to be interesting.

I'm sure the greens will be getting some attention before Thursday. The USGA can always lay down some water if the greens become too firm, which is much better than the alternative, as we saw at Congressional a few years back.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I was looking at pictures of the course from yesterday's practice round. I thought the grass looked strange.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/06/14/3838441/fescue-grass-part-of-what-makes.html

Seems like the type of grass used is a fine Fescue, a grass more commonly found over in the UK.

Quote:
“Finally, as a player, it allows for the links game — the bump-and-run shots, and the rollout shots — to react like it is on a trampoline. Your clubface kind of bounces through the shot. And you don’t take big divots, but little divots. You cannot put much spin on it like you can on a softer grass. Fescue is hard, like hitting off a table.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/06/14/3838441/fescue-grass-part-of-what-makes.html#storylink=cpy

Be interesting to see how the course plays.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think this course is going to be too difficult for Phil to putt well, it's really been his weakness of late and putting this course is other worldy difficult.

But I'm loving this US Open, it's by far the most intriguing in my memory, the course previews alone are compelling, I can't wait!

Oh ... Kelly Tighlman?

So melodramatic... discussing Cole Hammer, the 15 yr old amateur in the tourney.

"Cole Hammer was born in 1999, the same year that Payne Stewart won his final US Open..."

which reminded me of his death...

I was expecting her to add "...before his fiery crash that led to his untimely death leaving his young wife and children alone to fend off the world.... such a loss ... and not so long ago. Cole Hammer will be 16 in December.."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

lots of good info in here, thanks!

with this links-type course, i'm guessing the winner will have to use some imagination out there to get it done.

FIGJAM aside, who do you all think has the most creative game in the field this week?

lots of good info in here, thanks!

with this links-type course, i'm guessing the winner will have to use some imagination out there to get it done.

FIGJAM aside, who do you all think has the most creative game in the field this week?

Tiger was  "the man" for a long time when it came to short game creativity and pulling it off. It's still there; the question is execution.

Spieth is gaining a reputation for his imagination.

I'm thinking it will be a guy who hits it far (290+ carry) and has a high soft ball flight on approach shots.  Winning score will be -10 or so.  But it will come down to whether they water the greens or not.  With greens hitting really hard, it will be near par, but I think they will water them overnight making them a bit easier to hit into.  With that in mind, its Dustin, Rory, JB Holmes, or possibly Phil.  I think you got to respect the break of the greens on approach, but not overdo it too much.  I'd like to see a local win, not sure it'll happen though...

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I think this course is going to be too difficult for Phil to putt well, it's really been his weakness of late and putting this course is other worldy difficult.

But I'm loving this US Open, it's by far the most intriguing in my memory, the course previews alone are compelling, I can't wait!

Yeah, that's my only worry with Phil. I think his knowledge of the course is going to help a lot, obviously his length and the fact he has a lot of confidence coming in....he's finished 2nd in 2 straight majors and finished with a good round last week. And this has to feel a lot like Muirfield to him with the speed of the course. I just worry about his putting. If he can putt just average this week, I think he has a good chance. I'm putting money on 3 guys: Phil, Spieth and Fowler this week. Hopefully one of them cash in for me.

What are those little black things on the bottom left w/the electric cords?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Gonna guess something to do with some FoxSports tech.

More importantly ... sheesh, look at all those people on the fairway during the practice rounds!!!  What a circus!!!!

I'm going to say it would have to do with Fox's technology for TV...  3D technology!!...

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

This course just seems absurd. 541 yard par four!!!?!?!?!??!?! They said Bubba or DJ on that hole could drive it 400 after the carry and hit wedge in lol.

Really don't see Phil's explanation of this being a links course. Sure the dry dead looking grass but thats about it. This is undulating like crazy and the tee shots are nuts to hit. The greens aren't expected to roll all too fast for an open. I think when all else fails when there is so much unknown about how a course is gonna play, the cream will rise. If Rory can lock in his driver, he might just run with this like Congressional.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!