IGNORED

I say the Players a MAJOR! Let's discuss...

Big Lex
Note: This thread is 3283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is The Players Championshp a Major?

• Yes, it already is, whether or not anyone actually calls it one.
    • No, and it never will be nor should it be.
    • Not now, but it will be one day.
    • I don't know....it's too tough a question.

I don't think The Players needs to be a "5th major" nor should it replace any of the existing four . . it's good the way it is.  Everybody knows it's an important tournament and I actually don't think declaring it a major would make that much of a difference, anyway.  I don't see the majors as being all that different from any top-field event . .I don't think it's any easier or more difficult to win The Players than any of the 4 majors.

If it were up to me . .the only change I'd make is I'd tell Augusta that if they can't get with the tv coverage program, then The Masters should be deemed a non-major (although still prestigious and important) and just have 3 majors.  I still wouldn't make The Players a Major.  And then, if Augusta refused me and I did demote them I'd consider also demoting the PGA and then just having 2 majors . .the US Open and the Open Championship.  The Masters and The PGA would still be elite-field, prestigious tournaments . .but I like the idea of having 2 majors . .one in the US and one in Europe and having them both be Opens vs Invitationals.  I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with me but don't worry . .there is almost no chance of me getting whatever job it is that would let me make these changes, lol.

My favorite tournaments are:

1.  The US Open

2.  The British Open

3.  The Ryder Cup

4.  The Players

5.  The PGA

6.  The 2 WGC stroke play events

7.  The Masters

8.  The WGC Match play

9.  Arnold Palmer Invitational

10. The Tour Championship

Sounds like nobody wants the Players to become the 5th major, and nobody else seems to want it to replace an existing one to become the 4th major .... So let's all compromise and agree to make it the 6th major. ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like nobody wants the Players to become the 5th major, and nobody else seems to want it to replace an existing one to become the 4th major .... So let's all compromise and agree to make it the 6th major.

;)

Only if we agree that the Valero Texas Open will be the 5th major.

Only if we agree that the Valero Texas Open will be the 5th major.

I was leaning towards John Deere Classic (so Stricker can finally get his ;)) but I'm open to discuss it.

I was leaning towards John Deere Classic (so Stricker can finally get his ;)) but I'm open to discuss it.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I know the slippery slope argument ain't a popular one but...

There's always going to be a borderline-major tournament. Keeping the standards high with the 4 they have just makes the most sense.

There was a time when The Memorial (Jack's Tournament) had a feel to it as a near-major.

Nobody can really say how individual tournaments became majors.  There's some talk about Arnie in 1960, and Herbert Warren Wind, and Jack, but when did the Masters become a major and the Amateur tournaments and Western Open stop being majors?

The R and A, USGA, or PGA have no say whether a tournament is a major or not. It's not in any rule book.  It's like the World Series.  Since the US was the only one playing professional baseball, might as well call it the "World" Series.  But now baseball is a global sport, so is it still the World Series?  Similarly, are the NBA champions the World Champions?  Eventually, a consensus is reached and accepted - until conditions change and a new consensus is reached.

Since those shepherds were knocking those rocks up and down the streets of St Andrews, the designation of Major has changed many times.  So no one can say that the Players won't become a major, or that the PGA will continue to be. For now, there is no compelling reason to make it a major, regardless of the purse, course, strength of field or PGA Tour begging.

I vote no.

• Upvote 1

Occam's razor

Nobody can really say how individual tournaments became majors.  There's some talk about Arnie in 1960, and Herbert Warren Wind, and Jack, but when did the Masters become a major and the Amateur tournaments and Western Open stop being majors?

Back in the day a it was the two major amateur tournaments in the US and Britain, plus the British Open and US Open. Back in Bobby Jone's time being a professional golfer wasn't as prestigious as it is today among golfers.

The British Open kinda fell on the wayside after Bobby Jones, then Arnie brought that back into the fold as one of the premiere tournaments. The prize money was crap back then and it cost a fortune to fly England to play in it. There was no money in it for any golfers from the US.

Sam Sneed only played in the British Open 4 times in his career.

Basically the US Open and the British Open were just the two premiere tournaments of their time till Bobby Jones had Augusta National made. Then his prestige brought that into the mix. Bring in Arnie, Jack and Gary Player and the Master's just boomed.

The PGA Championship basically became a major because the PGA Tour lobbied hard for it to be considered one. They just kept marketing it as the 4th Major and after some time people just considered it as such. That and they moved it away from being week after the US Open to get more golfers to play in it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think it should be a major, and I think the players already act as if it is.

The fact that you get the top 50 players, a 5 year exemption when you win (just like the 4 official majors), and the most prize money out of any tournament signifies this is a big deal tournament.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

[COLOR=FF00AA]It is interesting to me that the objection to calling TPC a major is nearly 100% based on concerns over rating and ranking players across decades, but ignores any discussion of the merits of the tournament. [/COLOR][quote name="CraiginKSA" url="/t/81853/i-say-the-players-a-major-lets-discuss/54#post_1140656"]Nobody can really say how individual tournaments became majors.  There's some talk about Arnie in 1960, and Herbert Warren Wind, and Jack, but when did the Masters become a major and the Amateur tournaments and Western Open stop being majors? The R and A, USGA, or PGA have no say whether a tournament is a major or not. It's not in any rule book.  It's like the World Series.  Since the US was the only one playing professional baseball, might as well call it the "World" Series.  But now baseball is a global sport, so is it still the World Series?  Similarly, are the NBA champions the World Champions?  Eventually, a consensus is reached and accepted - until conditions change and a new consensus is reached. Since those shepherds were knocking those rocks up and down the streets of St Andrews, the designation of Major has changed many times.  So no one can say that the Players won't become a major, or that the PGA will continue to be. For now, there is no compelling reason to make it a major, regardless of the purse, course, strength of field or PGA Tour begging. I vote no. [/quote] I agree with you, but (obviously) only up until the last three sentences. You've very clearly and concisely stated what is important here: that "The Majors" is simply an idea we have, it's not anything in the rule book, it's not anything we "need" to rank players. It's a concept borne out of history and tradition, but I raised the issue because I think people forget how traditions are forged. There is a tendency to become so attached to history and tradition that one fails to see history being made before our eyes. I think the ending of The Players this year is certainly a very strong argument that this tournament is already a major. There is no better, more complete test of golf in the world today, and the drama and excitement of this year's event was as good as any golf championship I've watched in my lifetime.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I think the ending of The Players this year is certainly a very strong argument that this tournament is already a major. There is no better, more complete test of golf in the world today, and the drama and excitement of this year's event was as good as any golf championship I've watched in my lifetime.

I think the US Open and Augusta National would say otherwise.

To me, TPC Sawgrass is just a strange course for a major. I just don't see it as a course that fits the bill for being a course considered to host a Major.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
There is no better, more complete test of golf in the world today, and the drama and excitement of this year's event was as good as any golf championship I've watched in my lifetime.

Please. The Stadium Course is a gimmicky Dye course (as many of his courses are). The course is not major championship caliber IMO.

There, no history or concern for traditions: the course isn't very good. It's nearly pure target golf, and that's the most boring kind.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think this year's Players is one of those once every 20 year finishes -- an aberration.

I did not find the tournament particularly interesting for 3 days, and if not for the back 9 fireworks, it might have been another ho-hum Players.

Major at this course? As others have said, no.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I think this year's Players is one of those once every 20 year finishes -- an aberration.

I did not find the tournament particularly interesting for 3 days, and if not for the back 9 fireworks, it might have been another ho-hum Players.

I agree with this. I think some are jumping the gun that just because this one had a dramatic finish and a great story with the champion, it should be a major. If Kevin Kisner had sunk that putt on 18, the Players Championship thread would be buried at the bottom of the front page by now.

How many people would seriously be on here talking about how that was the best tournament ever if Kisner makes that putt either in regulation or the playoff? I compared it yesterday to Lucas Glover sucking the energy out of the 2009 US Open, which could have gone down as one of the best finishes ever if Phil or Duval would have won. Now, nobody even probably remembers it.

Please. The Stadium Course is a gimmicky Dye course (as many of his courses are). The course is not major championship caliber IMO.

There, no history or concern for traditions: the course isn't very good. It's nearly pure target golf, and that's the most boring kind.

Agree with all of the above.  I peeked yesterday and saw Sergio was at the top and thought "oh, that would be nice," but not until a bit later when Rickie posted -12 did it start to get interesting for me.  So, basically, not until the last 5 or so holes of the tournament was it exciting.

The course is too gimmicky.  The whole time on the last three holes you're just wondering when the excitement and drama is going to get sucked out by a ball in the water.  It's either hit your targets and have a great chance at birdies, or miss them and scramble to make bogey.

Completely agree that this was likely an aberration.

So, just to sum up ... after hearing the arguments on Monday from the TGC guys, I thought the idea of it being or becoming a major had merit ... but after watching the tournament and the course, I'm going to stick with voting no.

I so agree, I haven't met a Dye course yet that isn't gimmicky.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Yep.

Great win for Rickie, lots of exciting shots but certainly not a major venue.

The course is too gimmicky.  The whole time on the last three holes you're just wondering when the excitement and drama is going to get sucked out by a ball in the water.  It's either hit your targets and have a great chance at birdies, or miss them and scramble to make bogey.

I played at a Pete Dye course in San Diego for 3 years, very similar kind of holes. Target golf, intimidating looking holes, you either hit the shot or had a tough time making par/bogey.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!