IGNORED

Mid-Atlantic Outing (April 9, 10 2016)

Note: This thread is 2866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is a snag for the May 21/22 weekend. I was reminded that I have to go to a wedding reception.  So that weekend is out.  Sorry guys, so April 9/10 looks like the date, unless we want to push it further into the summer.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

There is a snag for the May 21/22 weekend. I was reminded that I have to go to a wedding reception.  So that weekend is out.  Sorry guys, so April 9/10 looks like the date, unless we want to push it further into the summer.

As long as the final tournament dates make that possible, let's go ahead and plan for it.  I'm double-checking the cost and probable tee times at Stoneleigh, and I know @jsgolfer is waiting on final confirmation of the Springfield tournament schedule, but it sounds like the plans are becoming a bit more precise.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

9-10 April looks open for me right now, at least calendar wise.  Unfortunately I'm going to totally suck at golf in April, since I will only play once or twice--at most--between now and then.

On 12/29/2015 at 9:52 AM, dsc123 said:

Its the best deal you're going to find.  Unfortunately, I think they only sell a limited quantity and they sell out fast.  I tried to buy one a few years ago but they were out.  I ended up at Redgate in Rockville for 2 years, which was okay.  It comes with deals at other billy casper managed courses, too.  But the MCG courses are now in significantly better shape than Redgate, which wasn't necessarily true when I first signed up. 

None of the MCG courses are super pretty--for example, the lines between the fairway, first cut, second cut, etc. aren't pristine--but the fairways, tee boxes, and greens are in good shape.  The greens are not fast--I'd say they stimp at 8 or 9 (per my aimpoint estimates)--but they roll true.  The courses are friendly to singles, and the only time I've had trouble finding tee times are when I'm trying to book a round the night before.  If you make your tee times 48 hours in advance I don't think you'll ever have a problem. 

Here's what I'd say about each course:

Northwest - I've been most impressed with Northwest, which has become my home course.  There's nothing special about the layout but its longer than the other courses and its kept in good shape.  The greens here are better than the others.  I believe they hold a qualifier for a Nationwide (or whatever its called now, nike?) event every year. 

Hampshire Greens - The best of the bunch is probably Hampshire Greens.  Its more of a links style course and winds through a residential development.  I don't play it often because its a bit more expensive than the others and I prefer to walk.  This is a cart only course. 

Laytonsville.  Its short and kinda of easy, but its always in good shape and its fun to play.  Other than Northwest, I probably play this course the most.  I like that they have a practice bunker and bit of a short game practice area. 

Needwood - I used to live very close to Needwood and played there often.  I think the other county courses are more challenging and kept in better shape, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its in poor shape or anything like that.  They have a fun little executive 9 here, too.

Little Bennett - Its been a while since I've been out to Little Bennett but that's the most beautiful of the courses.  The course gets less play than the others and is usually in very good shape.  The consensus is that this is one of the best MCG courses.

Falls Road - Its been a while since I've played here, too.  Its the closest to DC and thus gets the most traffic.  Rounds can take a very long time.  I remember liking it, but that's when I lived in DC and my point of reference was Haines Point. 

I've never played Rattlewood, Poolsville, or Sligo Creek.  Sligo is near me, but its a 9 hole course.  The other two are too far out of my way.  I've heard good things about Poolsville, though.

Hope this helps!

BTW thanks for this outstanding rundown.  That totally helps!

I played Little Bennett on New Year's Day.  The course was beautiful and in terrific shape for this time of year.  It was pretty cold that day (about 40 and overcast) so we were basically the only ones on the course.  Not bad...

I wasn't thinking about getting the annual pass first off, and they might actually be sold out.  Was really wondering if the monthly ($25/mo) pass was worth it to get 20% off green fees and cost+ pricing in the pro shops.  Obviously it depends on how much golf you plan to play.  I will say that the online tee time system, number of courses, and quality (at least what I saw at Little Bennett) means I'll be playing a lot more "muni" golf than I'm used to.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, DaveP043 said:

As long as the final tournament dates make that possible, let's go ahead and plan for it.  I'm double-checking the cost and probable tee times at Stoneleigh, and I know @jsgolfer is waiting on final confirmation of the Springfield tournament schedule, but it sounds like the plans are becoming a bit more precise.

It would help if the Sat tee time was later in the morning for folks who are driving in from a few hours. Thanks!

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

It would help if the Sat tee time was later in the morning for folks who are driving in from a few hours. Thanks!

It will definitely be an afternoon tee time at Springfield, I will be unable to get two times without a second member playing in our group.  So when it gets to the time (have to wait a week in advance to make a tee time), I'll ask for two tee times between 12-1 pm.   

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

44 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

It will definitely be an afternoon tee time at Springfield, I will be unable to get two times without a second member playing in our group.  So when it gets to the time (have to wait a week in advance to make a tee time), I'll ask for two tee times between 12-1 pm.   

Does that mean we are limited to 7 TST (including you) + 1 non-TST member (for the 2nd group) from Springfield?

Vishal S.

We're looking at @jsgolfer and me, plus 6 more, for eight total.  I believe Jerry meant that to get into the "before-noon" lottery, he'd need at least one Springfield member in each group.  I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.  At Stoneleigh, we might be able to go a little earlier, maybe 11, but not much before.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

We're looking at @jsgolfer and me, plus 6 more, for eight total.  I believe Jerry meant that to get into the "before-noon" lottery, he'd need at least one Springfield member in each group.  I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.  At Stoneleigh, we might be able to go a little earlier, maybe 11, but not much before.

Ahh got! thanks. I think that is certainly fine with me personally on both days.

Vishal S.

I count 11 ( @SavvySwede; @RFKFREAK; @GolfLug; @jsgolfer; @k-troop; @RandallT; @dsc123; @davechen; @DaveP043; @billchao; @grumpter +1). 

A few others who might be interested:  @kregan; @0ldblu3; and @divot dave.  They joined us last time.  Or others that couldn't make it last time: @atb5079; @12Packabs; @cliffj; @jodastra; @bjwestner; @derrick james; @newtogolf.  I think even @iacas and @jamo were thinking about it last time.  (I can't figure out why my tags stopped working after DaveP043--can someone else tag those guys so they see this?)

If we can get a big number we should plan a second outing.  It would be great to get a group big enough for 3-5 tee times. 

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

You are correct, in order to get into the lottery for tee times before noon you have to have a member in each foursome.  As far as a third tee time,  @DaveP043 and I might be able to do a reciprocal at each other's course and thus get a third tee time.  We'd have to talk it out with each of our Pro's to see if that is workable.

-Jerry

• Administrator

I'm tempted to go, but if you're doing it during The Masters, man, I don't know about that.

Plus, actually, my college golf season will be starting again by then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I always play golf Masters weekend.  That's why God invented Tivo!

Dave

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Same here. Last year was the first year I actually watched the entire tournament live because I was on vacation and sick (and then when I got better, my wife got sick).

I'm following this thread so I can keep up with the updates. As it is now, if @SavvySwede is going, we're probably going to drive down together or something and I won't arrange anything with my family. Probably better since I won't be abandoning them for the better part of 2 days anyway and can fit in more golf/hanging out time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 1/11/2016 at 1:04 PM, DaveP043 said:

ME Too!

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Probably going to take us until April to dig out

-Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys, @jsgolfer and I have seen the tournament schedules for our respective clubs, and we're prepared to go ahead with co-hosting an outing.  We'll plan to play Saturday, April 9, at Stoneleigh Golf Club in Round Hill, VA.  The following day we'll play at Springfield Golf and CC, Springfield, VA.  We're planning to play at about noon both days.  At this time we're sure we can accommodate two groups, which means the first six players to commit will join @jsgolfer and myself.  Its possible we can have another foursome, we'll make further inquiries if we have enough interest.  The guest fee at Stoneleigh is usually $75, but we're having a "sale" on prepaid guest passes, I think I can get that down to $50 per player.  I'll confirm that as soon as I can.  @jsgolfer will chime in with information on the Springfield end.

Dave

Guest fees at Springfield are $90 on the weekend, I don't think I will be able to get it any lower, but I'll ask.  

-Jerry

I have to get dental work done which is going to significantly cut into my recreational budget for the year. As things stand right now, I'm probably not going to make this trip :-(

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!