Jump to content
mvmac

How to "Flight" Your Wedges and Short Irons

260 posts / 73936 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I tried flighting my wedges and a few approach shots with short/mid irons for the first time yesterday because the Bay Area was extremely windy and my normal ball flight is quite high. The lower/boring flight worked out well, but I did notice a stronger right to left trajectory than normal which caused some left misses. Definitely something I plan to start practicing as I can see the usefulness of this shot, windy or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

OMG, I have had the same experience! Flighting wedges has been simply excellent for me, but this was something I have had to account for. I pull almost everything, so I thought it was just me.  Do you pull all of your shots, and perhaps this is just more pronounced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, my full iron shots tend to draw whereas my flighted shots go straight with the abbreviated swing. 

With the lower ball flights, I get too much roll on hard greens.  The ball carries to the front or middle of the green and rolls to the back or off the green, especially on elevated greens. I've not been trying this very long so I'll have to determine the right club and swing for the total distance.  I am sure it'll be easier on flat courses and as winter weather approaches. 

Continuous improvement. 

This thread is what started me to experiment with these shots. Thx. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

OMG, I have had the same experience! Flighting wedges has been simply excellent for me, but this was something I have had to account for. I pull almost everything, so I thought it was just me.  Do you pull all of your shots, and perhaps this is just more pronounced?

Immediately after trying this new-for-me shot on the course, I had a lesson and my instructor noticed my right hand grip had become very strong since my previous lesson (I get a lesson about once a month). I think my instinct to have a strong grip comes from years and years of slicing and advice on the internet to fix it with a strong grip.

On the launch monitor my path was fine, about 1.5deg in-out so the left shots were caused by a closed club face. She had me adjust my grip to neutral and the sharp right to left trajectory softened to a slight draw or straight. I have to remind myself each shot to use a neutral right hand grip until it becomes second nature.

I've struggled with straight pulls, and pull hooks (and pull slices and shanks too), which were caused by out-in swing, and flipping at impact, but I've corrected my swing path and rarely flip the club face closed anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Immediately after trying this new-for-me shot on the course, I had a lesson and my instructor noticed my right hand grip had become very strong since my previous lesson (I get a lesson about once a month). I think my instinct to have a strong grip comes from years and years of slicing and advice on the internet to fix it with a strong grip.

On the launch monitor my path was fine, about 1.5deg in-out so the left shots were caused by a closed club face. She had me adjust my grip to neutral and the sharp right to left trajectory softened to a slight draw or straight. I have to remind myself each shot to use a neutral right hand grip until it becomes second nature.

I've struggled with straight pulls, and pull hooks (and pull slices and shanks too), which were caused by out-in swing, and flipping at impact, but I've corrected my swing path and rarely flip the club face closed anymore.

I see.  That might not be the same thing I was talking about.  My issue has been a straight pull.  If I intentionally strengthen the grip I get the draw.  But that is different.  Good luck with this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been working on this quite a bit in the simulator over the past couple weeks.  I am really starting to find great consistency with it.   

56 degree - 80 yds
52 degree - 90 yds
PW - 112 yds
9I - 122 yds

I can also shorten the back swing a bit and take 10 yds off each club, pretty consistently. 

It's really great.  It knocks about 30 yards off a full swing and gives me a lot more options in the 70-120 range.   really focusing on adopting the use of flighted wedges, I can already tell that I am going to find myself 10 feet from the pin rather than 20 feet significantly more often.  


however, I am having the following struggles:

1) When I work with my 8 iron or stronger, I (like others) am having struggles with closed face and it getting a bit hooky.   

2) This works really well, when I have an open approach to the green.  but if the green is guarded in the front by a bunker, or water or what not, it's really hard for me to switch back to a non-flighted wedge.   Just seems like by increasing the consistency of the flighted wedge, it is having a very negative affect on non-flighted wedges.  anyone else finding this as well?  

 

Edited by lastings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, lastings said:

however, I am having the following struggles:

1) When I work with my 8 iron or stronger, I (like others) am having struggles with closed face and it getting a bit hooky.   

2) This works really well, when I have an open approach to the green.  but if the green is guarded in the front by a bunker, or water or what not, it's really hard for me to switch back to a non-flighted wedge.   Just seems like by increasing the consistency of the flighted wedge, it is having a very negative affect on non-flighted wedges.  anyone else finding this as well?  

 

I think the hooks with a flighted wedge come from either hanging back / not shifting weight or the arms keep swinging and the body stops rotating.  I try to make sure its a smooth swing with both the arms and body to make it work.  Sometimes it seems to help to have a shorter backswing.

I haven't found an answer to #2 yet but I also struggle going back to non-flighted wedges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been flighting nearly every shot inside for the past 4 weeks in my simulator league.   I think it's having a big impact in consistency.  

but, an added bonus is on mishits for us clompers.   without flighting a full swing 80yd shot or opening up the face to make a 60yd shot go 40 yds, those shots always carry the risk of catching it thin and skulling it well over the green.   however, because of the lower trajectory and naturally slower swing speed when flighting it, if you catch a flighted shot thing an skull it, its not nearly as detrimental as the mishit still goes about the same distance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...