IGNORED

Bryson Dechambeau Plays Same-Length Irons

cipher
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Read the article, there is nothing standard about Bryson's irons

I read it head weight has always been variable, a Titleist head my weigh more or less than a Cleveland head and people have been putting lead on heads forever. Single shaft length is the oddity with his set. The lie angle is because of his upright setup, looks like the butt end points a little above his belt line.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, jamo said:

I'm the farthest from an expert as possible, but I don't believe his statement about the single length irons helping bad backs at all.

I thought that was dubious as well. If he does well and people try and mimic him, that strikes me as trying to fit your swing to someone else's swing. This I'll do it because a pro does it - it always boggles my mind (well, in some ways it doesn't, but still smh) how much influence pros have.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I thought that was dubious as well. If he does well and people try and mimic him, that strikes me as trying to fit your swing to someone else's swing. This I'll do it because a pro does it - it always boggles my mind (well, in some ways it doesn't, but still smh) how much influence pros have.

I would want to see it proven because on one hand he's right, with different length clubs our posture and spine angle change.  I guess it could be argued that he more bent over you are certain discs in your back will be more compressed.  The other side of the argument is that by maintaining the same posture with every shot, you'd increase your chances of injury due to repetitive position and motion.  

Joe Paradiso

23 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I would want to see it proven because on one hand he's right, with different length clubs our posture and spine angle change.  I guess it could be argued that he more bent over you are certain discs in your back will be more compressed.  The other side of the argument is that by maintaining the same posture with every shot, you'd increase your chances of injury due to repetitive position and motion.  

That's an interesting counter-argument and may be spot-on. I do think a more upright (less bent over) spine angle at address and through impact may compress the lower back less though so it may matter whether he builds up the same amount of impingement / compression overall with the same number of swings. It might be a wash.

I think the same posture is more about ingraining feels and alignments for improved consistency.

Kevin

35 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I would want to see it proven because on one hand he's right, with different length clubs our posture and spine angle change.  I guess it could be argued that he more bent over you are certain discs in your back will be more compressed.  

But then, why not make them all 5-iron length so you're less bent over? Or only make 7-PW single length, to eliminate only the ones that cause you to bend over?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, jamo said:

But then, why not make them all 5-iron length so you're less bent over? Or only make 7-PW single length, to eliminate only the ones that cause you to bend over?

He claims he chose 7i length because he hit that club the best but 37.5" is closer to a 6i length based on current clubs so back when he came up with the idea it had to be closer to a 5i.   

Joe Paradiso

Why would I want PW the length of a 7 iron when I'm already gripping down on mine half the time?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
5 hours ago, jamo said:

I'm the farthest from an expert as possible, but I don't believe his statement about the single length irons helping bad backs at all.

I don't either.

3 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

I read it head weight has always been variable, a Titleist head my weigh more or less than a Cleveland head and people have been putting lead on heads forever. Single shaft length is the oddity with his set. The lie angle is because of his upright setup, looks like the butt end points a little above his belt line.

A 3I head, because it's usually on a longer shaft, is much lighter than a SW head. So if you make them all the same length you have to add weight to a 3I (and possibly remove it from an 8I, 9I).

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

You'd be surprised. Good golfers have nearly identical setups with all clubs (except the putter) in the bag.

01 50%.jpg02 50%.jpg03 50%.jpg

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I could see his argument for the spine angle change if all the clubs had the same lie angle and you really had to move your body to adjust for it. I never felt like I was bent over more between the irons. The only club that feels like I am standing more upright is the driver. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't either.

A 3I head, because it's usually on a longer shaft, is much lighter than a SW head. So if you make them all the same length you have to add weight to a 3I (and possibly remove it from an 8I, 9I).

You'd be surprised. Good golfers have nearly identical setups with all clubs (except the putter) in the bag.

01 50%.jpg02 50%.jpg03 50%.jpg

I didn't know that, is it an optical illusion or are their hands farther away from their bodies with longer clubs?  Thanks.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I didn't know that, is it an optical illusion or are their hands farther away from their bodies with longer clubs?  Thanks.  

Their hands tend to get a bit farther away, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If it was a real working option it would have long ago become the standard, Bryson figured it out, good for him, but it's not something I can see becoming common, ever.

The hands being so far away from the body for shorter clubs is nuts, that connection is such a big reason for consistency.

12 hours ago, MrDC said:

If it was a real working option it would have long ago become the standard, Bryson figured it out, good for him, but it's not something I can see becoming common, ever.

The hands being so far away from the body for shorter clubs is nuts, that connection is such a big reason for consistency.

He shot E in round one at the Masters today, I think it is a real working option :)

Edited by kenstl

In The Bag
Wishon 919 Driver 9.5
Wishon 4W 16.5
Wishon  21 degree hybrid
Sterling SL 6 - SW
Seemore CS FGP

22 hours ago, MrDC said:

You can't deny the success he's had with it to date.  Whether it's something that works for others, time will tell.  Edel is supposed to be releasing an SLI set modeled after what they built for Bryson so they must think it has some merit.  I'd guess Cobra will release a set too given they will be building the irons for Bryson in the future.  

Joe Paradiso

• iacas changed the title to Bryson Dechambeau Plays Same-Length Irons
On 4/7/2016 at 8:01 PM, newtogolf said:

Actually, theoretically, if a set of clubs is built correctly, the lie angles should compensate for the varying lengths and out posture should always be the same. If you line up all of your irons against a wall and set them so that the sole of each club lies perfectly flat on the floor, the butt ends of all of them should be at the same height. More upright lies on shorter irons should bring the butt ends of the club up to the same height as the longer irons with longer shafts. 

Wouldn't it be incredibly expensive to get such a set of clubs?

Driver: Taylormade r7

Fairway Woods: Taylormade Burner 3 and 5 woods

Irons: Taylormade r7 XD 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 47*, 52*, and 58*

Putter: Yes! Tiffany

Ball: Nike One Tour (I found a box of these in my garage and they are great)

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!