IGNORED

Worst round in Tiger's Career

Natural Patrick
Note: This thread is 3249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He was number one in the world just thirteen months ago so I'm not ready to jump on the "he'll never win again" bandwagon.  But man, something is horribly wrong with him right now.  If he keeps up this form, he's not going to qualify for a lot of events.   Can you imagine Tiger having to play an Open Championship qualifier?  Could be coming soon.

If you count 2037 as soon, then yes. Otherwise, he's exempt as a past champion at the Open Championship until he's 60. The U.S. Open, on the other hand, only offers ten-year champion's exemptions: that runs out after 2018. 2019's at Pebble, so I'd imagine the USGA would make a special invitation for him so long as he remains ambulatory; 2020 would be the more likely date of reckoning.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

If you count 2037 as soon, then yes. Otherwise, he's exempt as a past champion at the Open Championship until he's 60.

The U.S. Open, on the other hand, only offers ten-year champion's exemptions: that runs out after 2018. 2019's at Pebble, so I'd imagine the USGA would make a special invitation for him so long as he remains ambulatory; 2020 would be the more likely date of reckoning.

Ah, okay.  I thought the Open Championship had an exempt period identical to the US Open.

But I do think he's in danger of missing WGC events very soon.

"Witty golf quote."

Ah, okay.  I thought the Open Championship had an exempt period identical to the US Open. But I do think he's in danger of missing WGC events very soon.

Soon? He's already missed Doral and the Match Play so far this year.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

What are the chances he'll find a reason to WD?

Low, but he's going out first at 08:10 AM and playing alone, so I can imagine him being around the course very quickly tomorrow.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Soon? He's already missed Doral and the Match Play so far this year.

Alright, man, I'm not up to date.  I figured he just skipped those events because he's practicing to become the most interesting man in the world.

"Witty golf quote."

I think it's time to put his ego aside, swallow his pride, and give Butch a call ...

Who says Butch will take him back?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

He's playing well today. Just shows you if he can drive it straight, the rest of game isn't bad right now. Yesterday was just one of those days where everything was bad. The problem is the driver is nowhere near consistent and you can't consistently rely on your short game to bail you out. He needs to figure out his driver issues because that's where his swing is all messed up.

To me, Tiger just does not look like he really enjoys the game anymore.  I think it has become a "job" to him where he has to meet sponsor commitments, etc. and playing bad is just eating at him.   I do not doubt that he still loves the game, just do not think he enjoys the grind of practice, playing, etc. like he did when he was younger.  He now has kids that are growing up, a failed marriage, just got out of a relationship, etc.  He has a lot of stuff going on outside the game that takes a lot of his time and energy now.

I agree with Jack and others. Tiger needs to clear the noise around him. He needs to figure this out on his own.  He may need a different caddie, but ditch the swing coaches, play more competitive golf, and just figure this out.  That said, I just do not think Tiger has it in him at this point in his life to make that kind of commitment whether it be his ego, desire to put that amount of energy into it, etc.

To me, Tiger just does not look like he really enjoys the game anymore.  I think it has become a "job" to him where he has to meet sponsor commitments, etc. and playing bad is just eating at him.   I do not doubt that he still loves the game, just do not think he enjoys the grind of practice, playing, etc. like he did when he was younger.  He now has kids that are growing up, a failed marriage, just got out of a relationship, etc.  He has a lot of stuff going on outside the game that takes a lot of his time and energy now. I agree with Jack and others. Tiger needs to clear the noise around him. He needs to figure this out on his own.  He may need a different caddie, but ditch the swing coaches, play more competitive golf, and just figure this out.  That said, I just do not think Tiger has it in him at this point in his life to make that kind of commitment whether it be his ego, desire to put that amount of energy into it, etc.

To some degree I think you're right, priorities have shifted in his home life as the kids have gotten older and so he's not spending as much time practicing at home. However, his demeanor the past couple years at the events themselves show me he's enjoying himself more than he did when he was grinding for wins. I think most everyone likes him out there and many look up to him and it seems Tiger enjoys taking on that role. Obviously, the poor golf itself bothers him and is no fun but I do believe Tiger is having fun at these events.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

To me, Tiger just does not look like he really enjoys the game anymore.  I think it has become a "job" to him where he has to meet sponsor commitments, etc. and playing bad is just eating at him.   I do not doubt that he still loves the game, just do not think he enjoys the grind of practice, playing, etc. like he did when he was younger.  He now has kids that are growing up, a failed marriage, just got out of a relationship, etc.  He has a lot of stuff going on outside the game that takes a lot of his time and energy now.

I agree with Jack and others. Tiger needs to clear the noise around him. He needs to figure this out on his own.  He may need a different caddie, but ditch the swing coaches, play more competitive golf, and just figure this out.  That said, I just do not think Tiger has it in him at this point in his life to make that kind of commitment whether it be his ego, desire to put that amount of energy into it, etc.

Well, it goes hand-in-hand. You're not going to enjoy the game when you're working hard and results aren't paying off. I think he was happy at Augusta because all the work he put in his short game paid off. However, all the work he's put in the last few months isn't paying off and that's why you're seeing such frustration. And a lot of it he's bringing on himself with all these coaching changes and tweaks in his swing and listening to others' advice. Like Azinger said on Friday, stop listening to others tell you how to fix the problem and go out there and fix it yourself.

I don't think he should have gotten rid of Stevie. I think that was a mistake. It goes back to the whole "trying to change things too much" thing. Not saying LaCava is a bad caddie, but I think Stevie and Tiger worked extremely well together and I think Stevie would be much better at getting him out of this mess than LaCava. That's just my opinion.

I've got to give credit where credit is due.

Tiger showed alot of class today in his post-round interview.

I was never a lover of Tiger but I feel bad for the guy.

After all he's been through, I might have a tear in my eye if he wins another major.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

I really feel for the guy.   You might expect someone who is ranked 900 in the world to shoot 85, but never Tiger.   Where he is right now is sad to see.   I hope he gets better.   I agree he handled this with as much grace and class as possible in the situation.  I have no idea what he needs to do, but it would be nice to see him bounce back and start playing great again.

—Adam

Note: This thread is 3249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!