IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

What's the real issue here?

Did you have the popcorn, burgers, dogs, and beer ready for a love match with the TV, and now it is spoiled?

I think it's a bit much to ask a professional to hit a moving object in golf. It's okay in baseball or cricket, but this is golf.

LOL

It was a rant but everyone is so uptight and protective that's all.. God forbid anyone say anything about golfers..

Ok.. I take it all back guys.. They are the toughest bravest sportsmen in the world.. We good now? :)

You just like being a dick, don't you?  Have you ever tried to play when it was so windy that the ball could not be placed at rest on the green?  I have and it's simply not possible.  You can't play golf if you can't get the ball to remain at rest on the greens.  The course simply isn't playable.  It has nothing to do with hitting the ball lower.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You just like being a dick, don't you? Have you ever tried to play when it was so windy that the ball could not be placed at rest on the green?  I have and it's simply not possible.  You can't play golf if you can't get the ball to remain at rest on the greens.  The course simply isn't playable.  It has nothing to do with hitting the ball lower.

Real mature of you..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

not sure how the R&A; decision to start play, and then stop it less than an hour(?) later is defensible. totally botched IMO.

if they're gonna send these guys out there, with the forecast well-known, then let 'em play.

also: NFL <> Golf.

I would say a very unique lack of sensibility, yes. You have absolutely no understanding for why play was called. We're not defending the players, we're defending the R&A; for making the decision.

You explained it very well in an earlier post.. The ball won't stay still especially that they put the pins in high spots so it wouldn't get too wet around them.

Eyad

Oh I can't wait to see the answer to this one!!! There's no way there could possibly be a double standard could there?

neither were placed on as high of a pedastal as tiggy......to whom much is given, much is expected....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You just like being a dick, don't you?  Have you ever tried to play when it was so windy that the ball could not be placed at rest on the green?  I have and it's simply not possible.  You can't play golf if you can't get the ball to remain at rest on the greens.  The course simply isn't playable.  It has nothing to do with hitting the ball lower.

Real mature of you..

Maybe not, but that's what your previous comments make you sound like.  You have a reputation of acting out like that, and it does get a bit wearying.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It is perfectly normal to suspend play when the winds are so strong that the balls are rolling on the greens by themselves. This is not a decision made by the players, but they surely don't want to play in those conditions. It's a decision made by the R&A; or whoever is in charge of this tournament. It's not like Spieth and DJ can approach them and say "We are not wussies, we want to play".

They hope to resume play at 6PM, which would give them enough time to finish the second round. Play was stopped due to darkness around 9:30 yesterday. Even if they don't get started until 7, the last groups are at hole no. 9, giving them 2.5 hours to finish, or 3 if they play into the darkness.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Tainted major

Of course there are different weather conditions and you get the luck if the draw... but this has been ruddy ridiculous. If there was the slightest bit of decency the play of this morning should be scrapped and balls replaced at end of play yesterday.. I'm sure they could reconstruct.. BE NOT TOO PROUND TO ADMIT A BLUNDER R&A; AND SET A PRECEDENCE

Quote:

Wind update

17:37pm BST

Hazel Irvine on the BBC has just reported that the gusts are going in the right direction (so to speak) and they are hopeful we'll get play at 6pm.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Hmmm.. Lack of sensibility? I think if everyone just stopped being so over protective of their idols they would have seen that I was just having fun.. (Apparently not allowed). It got to the point where claims were made that even football games would be cancelled because of these horrific winds. The horror...

You claim to be a golfer, yet you are critical of a decision to stop play because the winds were gusting so hard, they couldn't keep the balls from rolling on the green?  No one is being over protective, how do you expect anyone to putt the ball when it's moving?

Joe Paradiso

[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/83040/2015-british-open-at-st-andrews-discussion-thread/600#post_1171136"] Real mature of you..[/quote]Not immature and dead on accurate. You, Eyad, are acting like a jerk and the funny part is that you appear to have no understanding of the situation to boot. Your "jokes" don't even make sense.

• Upvote 1

I know this likely isn't within the ROG but imo any holes played today should be replayed.

The group at 11 never finished their hole due to high winds causing the ball to roll around on the green so at that point the officials should have stopped all play on the course.  If it was a lightning strike at 11, they would have cleared the course.  Some guys like Day were forced to play while those on 11 were suspended and Day ended up 3 putting on  the two holes because of the winds.

When play resumes, there will be 4 groups piled up on 11 waiting to tee off, they would just be better off rewinding and starting everyone off from where they were before the wind delay.

Joe Paradiso

I know this likely isn't within the ROG but imo any holes played today should be replayed. The group at 11 never finished their hole due to high winds causing the ball to roll around on the green so at that point the officials should have stopped all play on the course.  If it was a lightning strike at 11, they would have cleared the course.  Some guys like Day were forced to play while those on 11 were suspended and Day ended up 3 putting on  the two holes because of the winds. When play resumes, there will be 4 groups piled up on 11 waiting to tee off, they would just be better off rewinding and starting everyone off from where they were before the wind delay.

Not sure Brendan Todd would agree with you there. ;). After they called play he finished and parred 18 to make the cut on the number. :)

Not sure Brendan Todd would agree with you there. ;). After they called play he finished and parred 18 to make the cut on the number. :)

You can't make everyone happy but I do believe overall it's the best solution for the entire field.

Joe Paradiso

Not immature and dead on accurate. You, Eyad, are acting like a jerk and the funny part is that you appear to have no understanding of the situation to boot. Your "jokes" don't even make sense.

I didn't disrespect anyone, didn't call anyone names, didn't attack or belittle anyone.. Let's pretend for a second that my opinion is crazy and maybe it is.. Point out where I'm being a jerk or being a dick? Was it immature yeah, and he admitted it and I commend him for it.. I don't mind it.. If anything at least we got the conversation going in this thread and there were some good points made.. Other than that football cancels their games because of winds that is :)

Eyad

You can't make everyone happy but I do believe overall it's the best solution for the entire field.

I might actually agree with you IF the entire field was on the course during the debacle. But since 60-70% didn't even have to play at all this morning there is no way to clean the slate so it's just not doable.

Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!