IGNORED

Driver vs Driver, Golf Channel and Wilson

JKolya
Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Searched the forum, but could not find anything on this new show. Wilson, and the Golf Channel, have a new show where contestants are competing to design a new driver.  Not sure what to think - no idea how this will work, or if it will be interesting.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/press-releases/new-television-show-%E2%80%93-%E2%80%9Cdriver-vs-driver%E2%80%9D-shines-spotlight-sports-innovation-and-path-golf-products/

https://www.wilson.com/drivervsdriver/index.html

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Premieres tomorrow night (October 4) after Feherty, I plan to watch. I think we'll see some stupid stuff… :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/16/2015 at 10:59 AM, Jon Hoover said:

You know Wilson is getting desperate when they will take driver designs from anyone, just more equipment you could't pay me to use.

I'm pretty sure they could pay you to use their clubs :-D

There are a lot of really smart people out there who may have some fantastic ideas and concepts but simply don't have the resources to make them reality. You never know, there may actually be a really nice club as a result of this show.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Premieres tomorrow night (October 4) after Feherty, I plan to watch. I think we'll see some stupid stuff… :-)

Yeah, I saw a few in the preview that were headscratchingly bad, but of course they show those to generate interest in tuning in.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

So did Wilson fire their design staff?  Is the design staff competing?  Or did Wilson just give their staff a big F- You?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator
On 10/3/2016 at 9:48 AM, krupa said:

So did Wilson fire their design staff?  Is the design staff competing?  Or did Wilson just give their staff a big F- You?

No… this is just for some publicity and the small chance they actually get some good ideas. They probably own the rights to any intellectual property the contestants create during the process of the show, or something like that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm definitely going to watch .  I'm hesitant but it could be interesting to see how clubs are designed and if there really is much that can be done outside of appearance and still stay legal. 

Or it could turn out to be totally dumb like some of their other shows . .homeless golfer living in a drain pipe and chasing his dreams, anyone?

It seems like the current technology that can actually improve design is rarely visible; it mostly involves material improvements that allow discretionary weight to be located precisely.

I don't think it'd make for a very good show if one team figures out how to save 2oz in the crown through a new welding technique.

At worst, we will get to see some silly (and stupid) designs. At best, they will come up with a "add-on" feature (eg, Ping's turbulators) that can at least be marketed as having a minor performance benefit. 

- John

• Administrator

Well, I saw the first episode, and the most common thing that tripped people up were the Rules of Golf.

That seems to me to be a fundamental mistake. One guy who was cut thought that he could have a driver with holes in the face, and then late discovered that he'd have to cover them. Other guys had a big fin, but when they reduce it, as Frank Thomas said, they'll lose all their benefits.

Another team had a quickly adjustable driver (and a presentation that fell apart) that also fails to pass the Rules of Golf.

The fly swatter (holes in the clubface) guy is out already. The WASP guy who focused on accuracy is also out. I felt bad for him because it might have been an interesting angle to see, but ultimately I think they're right: it wouldn't sell in the marketplace.

I didn't really enjoy the show. Having an amateur on the show does provide good perspective, but I think they could have gone with someone other than Urlacher (or at least highlighted why he is on the show other than it being in Chicago....like what is his golfing background?)

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I didn't really enjoy the show. Having an amateur on the show does provide good perspective, but I think they could have gone with someone other than Urlacher (or at least highlighted why he is on the show other than it being in Chicago....like what is his golfing background?)

He plays about 150 rounds a year and is a 4 handicap, I think they said.

But… yeah. I think it's just a matter of:

• He's famous.
  • He's local.
  • He plays golf.
  • He agreed to do it.

I caught some of the show and the level of talent and ideas I saw was disappointing.  How did the fly swatter guy even get on there?  He didn't seem to have any concept at all once he found out he couldn't have the holes so what was he there for?

Even the fins team - isn't that idea basically the Ping Turbulators? 

The guy with WASP driver at least had some grasp of clubhead design - MOI, COG, etc. His concept club was ugly as well but I think they should've let him stay on and see if he could find a way to combine his accuracy idea with longer distance and worry about the aesthetics later.

I didn't see the whole thing though.  Was this all of the design teams this week or will they be introducing more on the next show?

Edited by drmevo

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

He plays about 150 rounds a year and is a 4 handicap, I think they said.

But… yeah. I think it's just a matter of:

• He's famous.
  • He's local.
  • He plays golf.
  • He agreed to do it.

Urlacher and I are pretty similar.

Except I'm not famous, or bald. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, drmevo said:

I didn't see the whole thing though.  Was this all of the design teams this week or will they be introducing more on the next show?

They kept 11. They had five teams present this week and eliminated two. I'm guessing six teams will present next week and they'll eliminate two or three to get down to about five or six super-finalists.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Well I watched the third episode.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the team that was sent home would be, and I can't imagine that driver with the big fin making it too much longer.

The others, I haven't really seen enough of their actual drivers to know if they're going to be good or workable yet.

It's been interesting so far. Not "can't miss" TV by any means, but… I think Golf Channel is going to have more of these almost self-funded/created types of "reality" shows since they canceled Big Break. They still have air time to fill.

I thought for sure somebody would try to come up with movable shaft inserts (stiffen different parts of shaft by selective reinforcing along the length of the shaft) that changes the kick point as a fitting option. A consumer may not have great benefit one way or the other since shafts with different kick points are already available but would allow manufactures to build more stock shafts at least from that (kick point adjustability) POV.  

Vishal S.

Horrible - I could watch only a few minutes of the first 2 episodes.  But I'll watch the design and build part just to see the process.  I think the engineering and build process is fun.

Big Break was a winner.....until it got too formulaic

But the speed golf show, and this Driver show is pretty much just advertisement (the resort, and Wilson) - great way to cut costs for Golf Channel, but really crappy

the only idea that seemed fun was the splayed weight inserts to move the COG and total mass around....not sure if it's effective, but kind of cool, and a simple way to implement - if there are a series of inserts, it could get expensive, and then pinning them in place to avoid rattle would be interesting.

at least it has Melanie

Bill - 

Tried to watch, just couldn't.  Worse than that show about the homeless guy trying to play on the Senior Tour....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!