IGNORED

Which Would Be More Impressive: An Amateur Winning the Open, or a Grand Slam?

jamo
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which would be more impressive?

• An Amateur Winning the British Open or U.S. Open
    • A Grand Slam

Grand slam. That would truly be one of the most remarkable things in sports history.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Grand slam. That would truly be one of the most remarkable things in sports history.

And to think it's already happened in the last 15 years…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And to think it's already happened in the last 15 years…

I believe they call that the Tiger Slam

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator
I believe they call that the Tiger Slam

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Was still a grand slam IMO.

Oh I don't disagree. But I think a lot of people don't see it that way.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator

Oh I don't disagree. But I think a lot of people don't see it that way.

Then vote here:

Is this guy really just an amateur though (thinking of it in a much more broader sense to what the meaning of amateur meant back in the day)? I think an amateur from decades ago winning would be a lot different to the "professional" amateurs who play at the top level these days winning.

Mailman

Mailman

A grandslam for sure, it takes 4 different courses over the season.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I voted Amateur just to mess up the poll! Actually, in this day and age it is every impressive that an amateur is contending. It is not like he is the top amateur either.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Is this guy really just an amateur though (thinking of it in a much more broader sense to what the meaning of amateur meant back in the day)? I think an amateur from decades ago winning would be a lot different to the "professional" amateurs who play at the top level these days winning.

Bobby Jones was thought by many to be a "professional" - but he's still called an amateur.

There's still a fairly sizable difference between being a pro and an amateur in modern golf.

+1 for Grand Slam. A good amateur can have a good week but 4 Majors in a year is sustained class. Now, the likelihood of a modern amateur winning a major compared to a grand slam? Well, that might be a different story... I know there are no statistical models to predict either one of those to make a meaningful comparison.

Vishal S.

Spieth: not surprised to see an amateur win a major in the next 10 years. I would have guessed this would happen more for the women's game than the men. More Michelle Wie like players in the future. Thing is, an amateur nowadays, is not the amateur of old. Way more pro than am.

Quote:

The gap with the professional game is closing fast, and Jordan Spieth stated he would not be surprised to see an amateur win a major in the next decade or so.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/20/the-open-2015-paul-dunne-amateur-jordan-niebrugge-silver-medal

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Grand Slam. No "ifs", "buts" or "maybes".

Maybe 30-40 years ago I'd be harder pressed to go one way or the other but today's top amateurs are pros in all but name and endorsements. Paul Dunne, for example, is +5 I think at the moment and just thinking about what that means gives me a headache. He has to shoot -4, on average (or better) every round (usually from tournament tees) in order to maintain that handicap.

The modern ams are young, fit, have full-time coaches, golfing scholarships etc etc etc.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

We may never see a modern era grand slam, and today more and more amateurs are on top of the leaderboard. An amateur win is much more likely.

Bobby Jones was thought by many to be a "professional" - but he's still called an amateur.

There's still a fairly sizable difference between being a pro and an amateur in modern golf.

Wasnt Bobby the last amateur to win the Open?

I think it would be an excellent achievement for an Amateur to win, however i think winning the Slam is more difficult these days down to the depth of talent thats on tour.

Not saying Tiger didnt have competition, but he was just a different bred of golfer back then (fitness, practice regime etc.) compared who he was playing against and the current crop have had to up theri games and regimes to counter Tiger.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Given the quality of top amateur play these days, the GS seems much more difficult, and less likely.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Even if the chances were even, which they aren't , or at least more than I can "cipher" as Jethro said, the probability of a slam is much lower. In statistics, the chance of a multiple occurence is the product of the individual probabilities. The chance of a coin toss is 50/50. The chance of heads 4 times in a row is .5x.5x.5x.5. The chance each time is still 50/50, but the chance of all four is the product of the probablities.

Just making up numbers, say that a top 20ish pro has a 1/100 (.01) chance of winning a given major, and a top am has a 1/1000 chance (.001). The chance of the pro winning all 4 at the same time is .01x.01x.01x.01 or .00000001, where the chance of am winning is still .001 each time.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!