IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, I don't think it's played its max out yardage. But length doesn't really impact scores. Fast and undulating greens, narrow fairways with high rough do, and Whistling Straits is lacking that right now, including tough pin locations and high winds which have been mostly non-existent. Too many guys are getting easy lies in the rough, although don't tell that to Jason Day on 16. But even moreso, there's little break on many of these putts. They don't have any speed and not much break to them and you're seeing players burying 10-15 footers all day. You don't see that at Augusta or the US Open where putts are tougher to read, but you're seeing it here. I don't mind some scoring, but in a major, you don't want to see it play like the Bob Hope Classic. You want to see guys tested. That being said, the last hour had a lot of drama to it. I just hope tomorrow does as well. Glad to see the winds will be up.

It's a par-72 course; scores in relation to par are going to be lower when the pros are given four easy birdie opportunities on par fives. I see nothing wrong with the way the course is playing, but I'm also not concerned about making every major championship into a test of par. The PGA Championship record 72-hole low score is 265, set on the par-70 layout in Atlanta in 2001. Jason Day would have to shoot 64 today to match that score.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

That revisionist history makes zero sense. Grace finished two out, after Spieth himself made a double on 17.

Spieth and Grace played together on Sunday. They were tied for the lead going into the 16th, but Grace blocked his tee shot out-of-bounds and carded a 6; Spieth went on to birdie the hole. I see no revisionist history in my original comment.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

So looking throughout the top 1/3 or so of the leaderboard there are a bunch of younger-ish players who could be stars someday. How do you guys feel about their future? I'm gonna leave off a few guys who I will say are already relatively proven (Reed).

Tony Finau

Russel Henley

Anirban Lahiri

Brooks Koepka

Robert Streb

Justin Thomas

Victor Dubuisson

David Lingmerth

Cameron Smith

Apart from the obvious Day, Spieth, DJ, its pretty awesome to see a leaderboard with the above names, all who could potentially be future stars.

I think the future looks bright for Russell Henley for sure.

Just curious question for everyone out there......has anyone ever heard a player refer to what they've accomplished as "WE"? I hear Spieth talk all the time and he keeps saying "WE are preparing hard", "When WE won the Masters and US Open", "WE are working hard this week", "WE put a lot of work in this summer." Very different. I don't know if there's any other players out there that talk like that. I know some out there have said they think the kid is "Fake". If he is, then damn, he's doing a damn good job at it. Not even Phil was this good.

Just curious question for everyone out there......has anyone ever heard a player refer to what they've accomplished as "WE"? I hear Spieth talk all the time and he keeps saying "WE are preparing hard", "When WE won the Masters and US Open", "WE are working hard this week", "WE put a lot of work in this summer." Very different. I don't know if there's any other players out there that talk like that. I know some out there have said they think the kid is "Fake". If he is, then damn, he's doing a damn good job at it. Not even Phil was this good.

Spieth's caddie is a mentor to him, I think he sincerely considers themselves a team and wants to reward him with equal credit.  I think it's a nice gesture and so uncommon because we view golf as an individual sport.  I also think it helps to take some pressure off himself when he refers to everything as "we" versus "I".

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just don't get fake vibes from Spieth like I do Jordan. I guess until a controversial story comes out about Jordan, most will assume he is a legit kid with a great head on his shoulders. It will be interesting to see how Jordan handles controversary; because you know something will come out someday.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I just don't get fake vibes from Spieth like I do Jordan. I guess until a controversial story comes out about Jordan, most will assume he is a legit kid with a great head on his shoulders. It will be interesting to see how Jordan handles controversary; because you know something will come out someday.

I don't either. I've said this a few times before, but I met him at Valspar when I volunteered (and it was away from all the media tents for those who say he only acts like this in front of cameras), and to me, he's a true class act. He was very humble. I've read that his sister has played a huge role in shaping who he is, as have his parents who worked really hard on bringing him up the right way. But his sister is a huge inspiration for him, and if I saw right, she's actually there this week which may give him a little extra drive to win.

It's called humility. It's so rare in this "it's all about me" showboating society that when people truly are humble others have a hard time understanding it. The people who say he's fake have absolutely no basis for their statements. They're just not used to seeing someone who is so good, with so much talent, actually act the right way. The anti Richard Sherman, and IMO, exactly what I wish every athlete/person were like. He stands out for all the right reasons. To think he's only 22. Kid is incredible.

He is too young to have anything major come out. Plus he spent his youth golfing...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

It's called humility. It's so rare in this "it's all about me" showboating society that when people truly are humble others have a hard time understanding it. The people who say he's fake have absolutely no basis for their statements. They're just not used to seeing someone who is so good, with so much talent, actually act the right way. The anti Richard Sherman, and IMO, exactly what I wish every athlete/person were like. He stands out for all the right reasons. To think he's only 22. Kid is incredible.

Don't start with this stuff. Spieth is a good guy, and you don't have to pull your pants up to your navel and scream about society to praise him.

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Hot damn Bubba. Hunter on the other hand really has dropped off this season.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Don't start with this stuff. Spieth is a good guy, and you don't have to pull your pants up to your navel and scream about society to praise him.

Where did I say society should praise him? Watch a prick like RIchard Sherman make a sport that has 52 players on a roster make it all about himself. Then watch Spieth play a game that is an individual sport and go out of his way to credit his caddie and make it about the two of them. It's not that difficult to see the difference between how they were brought up. It's always good to know there's guys like you out there who can't handle it though. Just know that says a lot more about you than it does him.

• Upvote 1

Interesting scenario with Bubba, wanted relief from an ant hill because ants are in fact "burrowing animals". Wasn't allowed, they aren't considered burrowing animals. Bubba not too happy but not too dickish about it. Ended up with birdie so all good. But, an interesting question.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Interesting scenario with Bubba, wanted relief from an ant hill because ants are in fact "burrowing animals". Wasn't allowed, they aren't considered burrowing animals. Bubba not too happy but not too dickish about it. Ended up with birdie so all good. But, an interesting question.

He was pretty sarcastic. It was funny though. Sucks for the rules officials who has to basically try and tell him that he's right, but it doesn't matter because they don't look at it that way.

"Sooo they burrow in the ground, but we're not going to consider them burrowing animals? I guess we'll say they're tunneling animals then." Something like that. Golf has some dumb interpretations.

Where did I say society should praise him? Watch a prick like RIchard Sherman make a sport that has 52 players on a roster make it all about himself. Then watch Spieth play a game that is an individual sport and go out of his way to credit his caddie and make it about the two of them. It's not that difficult to see the difference between how they were brought up. It's always good to know there's guys like you out there who can't handle it though. Just know that says a lot more about you than it does him.

????? Where did I say society should praise him? What I'm saying is that you don't need to be a prick about society today to praise Speith.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

????? Where did I say society should praise him? What I'm saying is that you don't need to be a prick about society today to praise Speith.

That's what you took out of my initial comment? Moving on....

Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!