IGNORED

You hit your ball into someone's front/back yard... Do you retrieve your golf ball?

boil3rmak3r
Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. You hit your golf ball into someone's front/back yard... Do you retrieve your golf ball?

• 1. Never - It is private property and I never step foot onto other's lawns
    • 2. It depends - If it's only a little ways into their lawn, I'll go get it really quickly
    • 3. Virtually always - I'll almost always go get it (well, unless it broke their window...)

The keyword is "help", but I'm not sure how easy it is to hide your 6'3"/250 pound figure! :-D

Fair point ... I should start golfing in camo and face paint I suppose.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I can see the ball. If it isn't more than a few feet onto the property, the yard isn't fenced, and they don't have a big dog. It's kind of like if a kid's football ends up in my front yard. I'm not going to come out of the house and stand on the porch, "Get off my lawn." Great way to get your home vandalized. I've been coming out the door and the ball's come in the yard, they've been scared, I picked it up and passed it back before my shoulders were bad.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

i live on a course and if I'm in the back yard when he ball "shows up" I toss it back.  But if not I put it in a bucket and take it to the Pro Shop for their Kid's programs, well unless it is a Pro V 1 of course then it goes in my bag.  But I live between a green and a tee box so I don't get many balls and most folks that can afford to play Pro V 1 are not bad enough to put one in my back yard.

Butch

So only trespassing a little bit is OK?

I still go back to my own property. If it seems fairly innocent as to why someone steps foot on my lawn to retrieve something of theirs, that's fine by me. If they appear to be snooping around my house, that would send up a red flag. That's why I would trespass "a little bit". [quote name="Gunther" url="/t/83989/you-hit-your-ball-into-someones-front-back-yard-do-you-retrieve-your-golf-ball#post_1188860"]I've hopped a fence or two. [/quote] I couldn't imagine hopping a fence to get my golf ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by acetoolguy

So only trespassing a little bit is OK?

I still go back to my own property. If it seems fairly innocent as to why someone steps foot on my lawn to retrieve something of theirs, that's fine by me. If they appear to be snooping around my house, that would send up a red flag. That's why I would trespass "a little bit".

I'm not so crotchety that I'd be standing out front yelling "Get off my lawn!" when a kid occasionally came over to retrieve a football or whatever.  The only difference I can see is that if you live in a non-golf neighborhood, it will probably only be an occasional occurrence; for some people who live on golf courses, it happens multiple times a day, every day.  I can see where somebody would get tired of having people traipsing all over their property, digging in their shrubs/flowerbeds, etc. all the time.  And although some (even most) may tread lightly, there are the self-centered jerks who have zero regard for anybody but themselves and will take it to the extreme.  Believe it or not, I've seen guys climb fences with a ball retriever and pull their ball out of somebody's swimming pool!

The other problem is the civil liability you can potentially face when somebody is on your property, whether they're there legally or not.  Some drunk falls off your fence into your pool and drowns while trying to retrieve his precious 70-cent Top-Flite ball, you can be sued and possibly found liable (at least in some states).  There have been cases where crooks have been bitten by homeowners' dogs while in the act of committing burglaries, sued the homeowners and won (true story!).

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

The other problem is the civil liability you can potentially face when somebody is on your property, whether they're there legally or not.  Some drunk falls off your fence into your pool and drowns while trying to retrieve his precious 70-cent Top-Flite ball, you can be sued and possibly found liable (at least in some states).  There have been cases where crooks have been bitten by homeowners' dogs while in the act of committing burglaries, sued the homeowners and won (true story!).

I agree with this and have a fence.  I can't imagine anyone climbing my 6' wrought iron fence for a golf ball, not even a $4 ProV 1.  But if they did and I was aware of the intrusion  I would advise them to leave now and/or call the police. Because of the liability a property owner just can't allow anyone on their property without their permission.

Butch

The way I look at it is the ball is OB anyway. If it didn't cause any damage to the property I don't even see a reason to get the ball?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It depends on the course and the markings. Some courses specifically have signs which say no trespassing, others have fences. I won't walk all the way into someones yard but if it's close to the line and there's no sign I'll typically grab it. I won't go searching through someone's yard though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

If the yard is not fenced and the ball is visible from the course, I will go get it.  If the yard is fenced and I can reach the ball with my 15ft ball retriever, I will get it.  I will not open a gate to a fence to go in and get a ball from a yard.

This is my view on the subject as well. Even if I see the ball I won't go retrieve it if it is too close to the house. When it could be construed as invasion of privacy or you could be confused for a peeping Tom, then you should probably just leave the ball alone.

no fence, theres a good chance im playing it where it lies. if there is a fence im gonna get the ball retriever and snatch it up, drop and play it.

I'm talking about places where the backyard is by the fairway.

Did you mean this?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Did you mean this?

I'm talking about places where the backyard is the fairway by the way. No I mean the only thing separating the fairway from the back yard of the house are white stakes. I'm getting my ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Did you mean this?

I'm talking about places where the backyard is the fairway by the way.

No I mean the only thing separating the fairway from the back yard of the house are white stakes. I'm getting my ball.

That seems reasonable. Are there any potential legal issues? Like if you got injured on their property and such?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'm talking about places where the backyard is the fairway by the way.

No I mean the only thing separating the fairway from the back yard of the house are white stakes. I'm getting my ball.

I play a lot of courses in housing developments where there are yards with no fences and yards with fences. You have fairway/rough/OB stakes.  These are places where houses are right up against the course.  Not 100 yards back off the course.  If I can reach my ball with my ball retriever without going up in the yard...I will get it.  I am not about to go wandering up in someone's yard just because they do not have a fence.

I have seen way too many yelling/screaming sessions between golfers and homeowners.  Some folks do not care.  Others...well let's just say they will let you know in a heart beat that you are on private property.  Problem is, if you are not familiar with the course...you do not know which you are going to encounter.  One of the courses I play at...you rarely ever have a problem.  The course where I live...never seen so many cranky folks in all my life.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

So only trespassing a little bit is OK? To me its a basic courtesy to stay off someone else's property. We have homes lining one fairway on my course also. I watch golfers ignore the 'no trespassing' signs to get their two dollar golf balls, some even try to play the shot.

I understand your position on the subject, but anyone that buys a house adjacent to the middle of the fairway should expect golfers to grab their ball if it is 5 feet inside the stake. If you take the position that you can't step one inch on someone's property then you should be strick with all rules and regulations? Does everyone that feels this way travel at or below the speed limit everywhere they travel? Give a signal every time they change lanes? or in golf take stroke and distance in a casual round on a crowded course even though you didn't hit a provisional? I'm not trying to be mean but trying to understand the thought process. For me I would ask myself am I doing any harm by retrieving my ball. If the ground is dry or pine straw where I wouldn't leave footprints I see no harm. If I'm not so close to the house to see through the window or scare anyone I don't see the harm. If I can use a ball retriever or club to avoid climbing or opening a fence then I see no harm.

Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!