IGNORED

Share a Fact from Your Job

iacas
Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters had his leg pinned after his fall off a stage using our companies tibial nails. The xray was pretty cool and probably the closest i'll get to Dave Grohl (not that im a stalker or anything, besides his house has  way too much security :-P)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think many people realize how important plumbing is, but maybe not to this extent.

"The ability of plumbing and sanitation systems to deliver clean water and remove waste has protected populations from communicable disease throughout history. There is acknowledgement from many within the public health community that clean, drinkable water has likely protected more lives and extended life expectancy more than any medical advancement. Plumbing advancements continue to protect lives in developing nations."

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

On 9/6/2015 at 3:11 PM, 14ledo81 said:

I don't agree with using taxpayer money to give public sector union employees better pensions than I get. I have to put away my own money for retirement. I do not want to support someone else's.

Do you ever buy a car or truck? Every time you do, you're supporting someones pension. And in many cases, every time you buy golf equipment you end up supporting the pensions of many people who are employed in those lines of work

Edited by 9wood

Two things:

Over easy eggs are a son of a bitch to not break the yolks on a flat-top grill, there is also a fine line between Over-easy and over-medium... Because when you crack the eggs, you mostly are cooking the white, you mostly are cooking the yolk after you flip it, and Over-easy eggs don't take long...

2) HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) basically keeping cold stuff cold and hot stuff, hot...

BONUS: Grilled Chicken takes forever on a flat-top.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, 9wood said:

Do you ever buy a car or truck? Every time you do, you're supporting someones pension. And in many cases, every time you buy golf equipment you end up supporting the pensions of many people who are employed in those lines of work

I do, but it is by choice.  There is a difference in my opinion.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

11 hours ago, Shindig said:

I think that's interesting too.   How similar are the techniques?

The new goal didn't really change the old way of design.  We still figure the drainage necessary to discharge the 100-year storm, but now as an extra step, we determine how much of that we can safely and practically keep on site after collecting.  Sometimes it's allowing it to infiltrate back into the soils, sometimes its storing it in barrels to be re-used for irrigation, and sometimes its just filtering it as much as possible such that it's clean.

@Golfingdad Even though the design criteria is the same (i.e. 100 year storm), I'd argue the installation techniques are very dissimilar.  Instead of drop inlets, catch basins, and piping to convey the water from the site, now we're using bioretention areas (using drain rock, structural soils with a predetermined perc. rate, etc) to keep it onsite.

Interesting how many engineers have posted in this thread.  Alas, I'm just lowly contractor :whistle:

Interesting fact from my line of work:  Asphalt is one of the most recycled materials in the world.  Many of the roads you drive on are paved with old asphalt that was ground up and made into new asphalt.  Old tires are ground up and make their way into the asphalt as well.

Diesel engines do not have spark plugs. Instead, diesel fuel literally explodes (combusts) when pressurized in the combustion compartment. Fuel is pre-pressurized by a fuel pump to almost 30,000 psi in modern engines (4-5 times gasoline engines).

The design of fuel tube for withstanding dynamic conditions of an engine and how it reacts to pulsing of fuel at high pressure (similar to golf ball/clubhead collision) - vibration, concentrated and distributed stresses, noise, etc., are very, very similar to a golf club design.       

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Diesel engines do not have spark plugs. Instead, diesel fuel literally explodes (combusts) when pressurized in the combustion compartment. Fuel is pre-pressurized by a fuel pump to almost 30,000 psi in modern engines (4-5 times gasoline engines).

The design of fuel tube for withstanding dynamic conditions of an engine and how it reacts to pulsing of fuel at high pressure (similar to golf ball/clubhead collision) - vibration, concentrated and distributed stresses, noise, etc., are very, very similar to a golf club design.       

What do the "glow plugs" do?

-Matt-

During a recent contract negotiation that was in a mandatory mediation phase, I gave the employer's lawyer a nervous breakdown (or burn out). Serves him right, he was an egotistical dick head who was doing nothing beneficial for his clients. Lawyers need to learn how to check their egos at the door and stop trying to "score" more points than their clients are actually looking for. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

18 hours ago, Shindig said:

I thought it was interesting, but I can't figure out what you do for a living. 

I'm a graphic artist in the printing industry.

Colorimetry and how it applies to printing is one of the few sciences (if I can call it that) I can wrap my cell-deficient brain around. Spectral devices measure the wavelengths of reflected or transmissive light to determine the exact color of an object - not the perceived color we see. There's a still a lot to it I have yet to learn.

Other sciences such as astronomy and chemistry use similar spectral devices but for very different applications.

Jon

I've covered both college football and basketball, and the food they provide to the press has ALWAYS been better at the football games. It's also much fancier.

Also: don't ask an AD a question  about some sort of wrongdoing in the football team after you both just stood next to each other in the food line. :-P

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

8 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

What do the "glow plugs" do?

Glow plugs warm the cylinder and the air inside it to allow for smoother operation of the engine. Warm cylinders and air mean a couple of things:

- Since the compression is higher in a diesel engine, the pistons generally fit tighter. As such, there is a film of lubricating oil along the cylinder wall to help it slide more smoothly. This oil becomes less viscous when warm, and the cylinder slightly expands, allowing for the piston to travel more freely inside the cylinder.

- You also have to remember that combustion still requires a certain temperature to occur. Diesel engines generate this ignition temperature by creating large pressures rather than using a spark plug. Glow plugs make sure the air inside the cylinder is warm enough for this combustion condition to be achieved once the piston is fully depressed. 

- If you don't have a glow plug, the cylinder and engine block will be heated by the compression generated when you turn the engine over using the starter. Since they're absorbing the heat that is intended to be used to ignite the diesel, the diesel doesn't ignite and you're left cranking the engine for a long time (usually until your battery is dead if its sufficiently cold). The glowplug serves to pre-heat the air in the cylinder, as well as indirectly heat the cylinder itself, so that you may generate enough heat through compression to achieve combustion. 

You can also plug in an engine block heater to achieve the same effect without the need for glow plugs. When I drove a diesel I had it set on a timer so that the engine was warmed by the time I needed to start it and drive, without consuming electricity to heat the engine all night.

If it gets really cold, you have to be careful with diesel engines. I used to drive a 1979 Mercedes 240D and had a serious problem last New Years Eve (2014-2015) when the temperatures dropped well below zero while I was away with friends at a hockey game for hours. This meant that the engine block cooled to below zero as well, and my battery died before the old inefficient glow plugs were able to sufficiently heat the air inside the cylinder. I was stuck there for nearly an hour before I got someone to help me out by jumpstarting me, but I luckily had a warm blanket in the car while I waited.

Moral of the story: Always have jumper cables and a heavy blanket if you drive an old diesel in cold weather, because if it gets cold enough the battery will die before you can start the engine.

9 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Glow plugs warm the cylinder and the air inside it to allow for smoother operation of the engine. Warm cylinders and air mean a couple of things:

- Since the compression is higher in a diesel engine, the pistons generally fit tighter. As such, there is a film of lubricating oil along the cylinder wall to help it slide more smoothly. This oil becomes less viscous when warm, and the cylinder slightly expands, allowing for the piston to travel more freely inside the cylinder.

- You also have to remember that combustion still requires a certain temperature to occur. Diesel engines generate this ignition temperature by creating large pressures rather than using a spark plug. Glow plugs make sure the air inside the cylinder is warm enough for this combustion condition to be achieved once the piston is fully depressed. 

- If you don't have a glow plug, the cylinder and engine block will be heated by the compression generated when you turn the engine over using the starter. Since they're absorbing the heat that is intended to be used to ignite the diesel, the diesel doesn't ignite and you're left cranking the engine for a long time (usually until your battery is dead if its sufficiently cold). The glowplug serves to pre-heat the air in the cylinder, as well as indirectly heat the cylinder itself, so that you may generate enough heat through compression to achieve combustion. 

You can also plug in an engine block heater to achieve the same effect without the need for glow plugs. When I drove a diesel I had it set on a timer so that the engine was warmed by the time I needed to start it and drive, without consuming electricity to heat the engine all night.

If it gets really cold, you have to be careful with diesel engines. I used to drive a 1979 Mercedes 240D and had a serious problem last New Years Eve (2014-2015) when the temperatures dropped well below zero while I was away with friends at a hockey game for hours. This meant that the engine block cooled to below zero as well, and my battery died before the old inefficient glow plugs were able to sufficiently heat the air inside the cylinder. I was stuck there for nearly an hour before I got someone to help me out by jumpstarting me, but I luckily had a warm blanket in the car while I waited.

Moral of the story: Always have jumper cables and a heavy blanket if you drive an old diesel in cold weather, because if it gets cold enough the battery will die before you can start the engine.

Boy, you know your s**t - :-)). Thanks for answering. Yupp, sort of same thing as hand warmers do for blood flow. I love me them Diesel nerds...What is your major???

One more interesting fact: if you run out of fuel in a diesel engine, it creates a vacuum (because of the high requisite internal 'pre' combustion pressure in the fuel system and has to be 'primed' before you can crank the ignition. Modern engines have inbuilt priming systems. But they are not perfect. This also makes diesel combustion a bit of hassle in extreme cold (if it creates air pockets especially). Gotta run now, but I will try to come up with more stuff later comparing golf clubs to engine components dynamics design.

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

What is your major???

Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Interesting thing to note related to my major is that nearly every major operating system, barring Windows, is based off of Unix. Chrome OS (found on chromebooks), OS X, Android, iOS, Orbis OS (Playstation 4), and more are all based off of Unix.

Windows is its own beast, and also the only operating system that has drive letters (C: drive, H: or G: drive often for optical disk drives, and frequently a J: drive for USB, which all depends on your individual computer). Windows is also the only OS that uses a backslash for file paths, rather than a forward slash.

Windows 98 and Windows 2000, while visually similar, we're actually radically different from each other. Windows 2000 is when Microsoft started using a different base for their OS, which was dubbed NT for "New Technology", rather than the old DOS platform everything prior to that had been built on.

11 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Great!!.  More than I expected, but definitely informative.

I would +1 this if I could.

-Matt-

being a partner of and running daily operations of a family business can be a total pain in the ass....all business has their own challenges but family members kinda suck!!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!