IGNORED

Taking good balls from range buckets

Cupcakus
Note:Β This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sante TwoGloves

who is completely honest on their taxes raise your hand.

I am. Anyone who isn't, is stealing from the rest of the honest taxpayers

So am I, but there are a lot of gray zones, so I let my accountant do anything questionable. I just provide him with any information he needs to process my taxes. :-D

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am. Anyone who isn't, is stealing from the rest of the honest taxpayers

You mean that business trip you took to Pebble Beach was a legitimate deduction? Β Good for you. Sometimes I order a second plate of all you can eat pasta when im full then ask for a doggie bag two fork fulls later.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driverΒ 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4iΒ hybridΒ 
  4. Answer 6 ironΒ 
  5. Answer 8 ironΒ 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

You mean that business trip you took to Pebble Beach was a legitimate deduction? Β Good for you. Sometimes I order a second plate of all you can eat pasta when im full then ask for a doggie bag two fork fulls later.

All depends on facts and circumstances. Any good tax attorney would refer you to IRC Section 162 and 274. It's a pretty elementary read, if you're interested. But I digress on that point... This is about stealing range balls.

I say "life is short......steal range balls"

4. Answer 6 ironΒ 
  5. Answer 8 ironΒ 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

im having a memorial outing in october. 8 club or less challenge from the back tees at the longest and toughest course in the land. a friend who doesnt golf said he is going to go buy a hybrid and play. i told him thats cool and be sure to bring a lot of balls. :) he told me no problem he was just going to go buy a bucket of balls at a range and play them. i guess that is stealing too?

4. Answer 6 ironΒ 
  5. Answer 8 ironΒ 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

maybe we should start collecting the tees we find that arent broken at the range and bring them to the front counter? :) Β  seriously, there are greater crimes. who is completely honest on their taxes raise your hand.

I assume you are joking...correct? Once again, I am shocked at how many people claim to take range balls from the bucket regardless of what's stamped on the ball. I have never in 12 years of golf even thought about it. I am not going to label people that do it thieves, but it seems really odd. I have never witnessed anyone doing it either. IMO...If you find it in the woods or hazards it was left behind. Once it is put in a range bin for you to rent, it is just that - a rental. Even if you don't consider it dishonest, don't you find it just a little bit odd?? I was taught to avoid even the appearance of doing wrong. To me there is no such thing as a "white lie." The question proposed...Do you take or use a tee lying on the ground at the range? At first glance I thought that was a good point, but you aren't renting the tees. You are renting the balls that are expected to be returned. However, the tees are left behind the same way balls in the woods or hazards are left behind.

I don't take tees either, just as picky about those as balls. I don't get the golfΒ scavenger types. I get red hot mad playing around people that seem to be more interested in finding shit than golfing.

Dave :-)

Waaahhhh! Then the golf club shouldn't appropriate the balls hit into the range either should they?

I buy a ball from the pro shop, tee it up on the 1st and slice it into the range. That's still my property, I have a right to ask for it back?

But when have you ever seen a pro shop with "lost and found" golf balls for people to claim?

Answer: NEVER! Have no doubt that the ball collectors take the good ones they find themselves, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I'm not trying to justify anything, just stating that if you think taking a decent ball from a range bucket is such a terrible act you're a sad act!

Simple as.

You're the guy making justifications on why you steal golf balls, so I'd say you're the sad act.

Joe Paradiso

Just got back from the range and some of them balls shouldnt even be considered golf balls.More like round smooth white rocks.Didnt see any worth taking.Paid 12 bucks for 70 balls but they probably should have paid me to even hit sum of em.Imagine how much money one of them balls have brought in for course.Around 15 cnt for each ball hit.

Just got back from the range and some of them balls shouldnt even be considered golf balls.More like round smooth white rocks.Didnt see any worth taking.Paid 12 bucks for 70 balls but they probably should have paid me to even hit sum of em.

You didn't take one of them for the hell of it? :)

I hit on ranges balls I find on courses that I'm not willing to add to my collection.

I'm happy that the next player collecting them from the machine takes them to use on the course.

No one owns them more than anyone, they are found.

You can sell them to pay your effort to find them. But they are not to rent such as range balls.

Guys, let's cool it with the name calling, thank you.

Besides, OP, do you really want a ball that didn't perform perfectly for its previous owner?

Good point. Bad juju with those balls.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Guys, let's cool it with the name calling, thank you. [QUOTE name="Shindig" url="/t/84262/taking-good-balls-from-range-buckets/18#post_1195035"] Besides, OP, do you really want a ball that didn't perform perfectly for its previous owner?[/QUOTE] Good point. Bad juju with those balls.

It's funny that I lost an almost brand new premium ball into the water, then I decided to drop a used old Top Flight from my Golfsmith onion bag. I carried it 125 right next to the pin, and it rolled 45 feet to the back of the green. 45 foot par putt, then it made a loud clack on the putt. 3 putt double after leaving a ball mark less than a yard from the pin. Seriously bad juju.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
Other than that all I see in this thread is a lot of rationalization for, and support, of stealing.

There's a whole lot of that going on. Kinda disappointing. I've seen Pro V1s in a golf dome . They weren't hit there accidentally.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

So I will admit I was wrong, I asked my lawyer friend if taking the balls from the range would be theft. He used to work as a public defender in Maryland, and he said technically yes it would be theft, because the balls would be owned by the range. However, if there weren't markings on the ball to signify they were range balls, as soon as they were hit, they would be finders keepers.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

At the time the golfer abandons the ball, the golf course operator uses its resources to find it, takes ownership, and then uses it on the range.

[quote name="jsgolfer" url="/t/84262/taking-good-balls-from-range-buckets#post_1195005"]please oh lawyer-san, tell me how those balls are owned by the club. [/quote] It's basic stuff you learn in first year Property class. Depending on whether the lost property is categorized as misplaced, lost, or abandoned, the rules are different but the result in this case comes out the same: because the finder and the property owner are both the golf course, no matter how you classify the golf balls, they belong to the golf course. Unless the golf ball was actually yours before the golf course found it, it now belongs to the golf course.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note:Β This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!