IGNORED

Bringing Drinks/Coolers on to the Course

colin007
Note: This thread is 1320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 members have voted

1. 1. Bringing outside alcohol on the course -

• Sure, i have no problem bringing a few brewskies from home to the course, i dont want to pay $5 for the beer and still have to tip the girl
    • Nope, i wouldnt do it because its taking revenue from the course. dont be a cheapskate.

I don't recall seeing signage against anything other than alcoholic beverages around here. As far as I know I could bring a case of soda on the course if that's what I wanted to do. The courses I play are really pretty reasonable on beer prices. It's usually 2.50 per can and cheaper than that if you get a sixer complete with a bag of ice. I don't usually drink at all unless I'm with some particular friends of mine. In short, I've never tried to smuggle alcohol onto the course. On the other hand, some fellas I know bring their flasks of whiskey and pot on the course. Neither of which interest me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Liquor law violation. It's not only disrespectful to put the course at risk but there is potential for an encounter with the police. Our course has signs posted they will confiscate any outside booze and call the cops. After 3PM a sixer of pints is just $15 I can hack it.

I know and agree but there are so many gray areas and they tend to revolve around morals and profit, but mainly profit.  Peeing on the course is technically also illegal as you are exposing yourself so it is Indecent Exposure and Indecent Behavior but I literally saw a sign in a small gazebo at golf course that said "This is not a restroom.  If you have to go, find a tree".  The golf course just tacitly encouraged me to break the law, but there is no profit it in it.  Liquor sales on the other hand are different.  We have bought a six pack or two from the golf cart girl and they are never anything but thrilled to do so and collect a nice tip.  I was under the impression the laws are supposed to be in place so that they can monitor how much you are drinking and if you should be served more drink.  Are they also in place for other reasons?  I honestly do not know and am asking.  If the cart girl or clubhouse is more than happy to sell me 6 beers at one time and probably 12 if I wanted, how the heck can they make sure we are not drinking too much?

The police I would imagine would only be encountered if the business called them or if they are doing some type of checking on the course to see if they are selling to minors or something of the sort.

What I have done is wrong, yes, I admit to that, but technically so is exposing yourself and so is stealing (persons who play more golf than they have paid for, i.e. playing second balls throughout 18 holes).  I know there are threads dedicated to the last.

To remain on topic yes, during summer I bring a cooler, it typically has 5 bottles of water, two gatorades, two frozen towels and a couple of snacks in it to make sure I don't have any issues.  To me it is akin to the boy scout motto of always being prepared or the hiker/camper/backpackers 10 essentials.....hmmm, now there is a thread.

I know and agree but there are so many gray areas and they tend to revolve around morals and profit, but mainly profit.

There is no grey area. The course doesn't write the laws. If they have a liquor license they are legally bound to abide by the law. Has nothing to do with morals.

They could give a shit if people bring in outside food but I assure they don't want the heat a licensing violation would bring. I seriously doubt they want to risk a sanction or possibly losing their license so yeah it's about profit but not about inflated prices, they rely on the income alcohol sales bring. It pays for water and other things needed to keep the course running.

Dave :-)

There is no grey area. The course doesn't write the laws. If they have a liquor license they are legally bound to abide by the law. Has nothing to do with morals.

They could give a shit if people bring in outside food but I assure they don't want the heat a licensing violation would bring. I seriously doubt they want to risk a sanction or possibly losing their license so yeah it's about profit but not about inflated prices, they rely on the income alcohol sales bring. It pays for water and other things needed to keep the course running.

And to my question, what is the basis for the licensing?  As you said it is about profit, and I was not referring just to the profit for the golf course. I thought the other dynamic however was the liquor law violation I thought was based on that in order to hold a beverage license you have to be trained and responsible, as in responsible to know when to cut off a person or persons.  How does the club know when I have had enough to drink and should not drink anymore when they sell me and my partner 6 beers each at one time and leave us alone to our own devices?  That is my point.  Like you, what's $18 for a six pack of beer on the course (that's how much they sell for on mine without tip)?  Half price during twilight is ridiculously cheap.  I never brought beer on the course as a matter of economics as much as a matter of availability and never brought more than a few to fill the gaps between when would see the cart girl and I only did it a few times.

I would think if it is about being strictly to the letter of the law, then they would have to sell you no more than two drinks at a time.  I have seen people cut off at bars before.  I have never seen or heard anyone say that the cart girl wouldn't sell them a 6 pack at once.  And I know a lot of people who get drunk on less than three beers.

And here we go with the "grey areas" and rationalizing...just like the range ball thread. Why can't people just say, "yeah, I know it's against the rules/law to bring beer on the course, but like I already told y'all, that's the way I roll!" Sheesh, man up FFS.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

And here we go with the "grey areas" and rationalizing...just like the range ball thread.

Why can't people just say, "yeah, I know it's against the rules/law to bring beer on the course, but like I already told y'all, that's the way I roll!"

Sheesh, man up FFS.

I was asking about more than that.  The basis of why you cannot bring your own beers, and the responsibility the course holds as a holder of an liquor license. I already said I did and knew full well what I was doing, that's not the issue.

I have no problem bringing some, actually I have a cooler attached to my push cart just for it.

It's not about being cheap, it's about convenience, the cart girl can be scarce on many courses, and non-existent at times, what to do then? just deal with being thirsty?

But I always buy one from the cart girl when they're around, even if I have some, it's only fair and also good fun.

And to my question, what is the basis for the licensing?

The basis for licensing is whatever the state says it is. When they issue the license the licensee is obligated to follow whatever regulations are. Here one of the regs is if you have a license the only alcohol that can legally be at that licensed location is what the licensee offers for sale.

FWIW every state has liquor licensing laws. This isn't an ethical question and it doesn't matter if people think prices are outrageous. If there is a law you either abide by it or you don't.

I've been to courses where the bar and grill and cart service hold different licenses if the restaurant is a separate business. You can't walk off the patio with a beer bought in the restaurant and you can't take your beer from the course into the restaurant.

Yes, I do bring in a single container of water or gatorade (never alcohol) whenever/wherever I play and I keep it in plain view. I don't even look to see if there's a sign forbidding it, but as some have pointed out, if it's against the rules, its against the rules.

Having said that, I try to spend money other than just the greens/cart fees when I'm playing at another course. The membership at my course includes reciprocals to other courses. I don't think those other courses like it much when you don't spend at least a few bucks.

Jon

The basis for licensing is whatever the state says it is. When they issue the license the licensee is obligated to follow whatever regulations are. Here one of the regs is if you have a license the only alcohol that can legally be at that licensed location is what the licensee offers for sale.****Sounds like that portion is about profit to me as had stated before****

FWIW every state has liquor licensing laws. This isn't an ethical question and it doesn't matter if people think prices are outrageous. If there is a law you either abide by it or you don't.

Aren't all laws based on morals and ethics?

I am not trying to be confrontational, just so you know merely pointing out that the liquor license is really set up by government agencies to protect vested interests (licensed distributors in each state, meaning pay to play) and the ethical grounds that persons who have had too much to drink should not be served any more and persons should be properly trained to notice.

I looked up and a big portion of liquor licensing accross all states seems to be:

• Training course completion. Completion of a responsible beverage server’s training course may be required before a license can be issued. Look here for information about TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures), a global leader in alcohol training programs.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/blog/liquor-laws-licensing-bar-restaurant/

Which I had thought to be the case and almost all bars, events, etc. in any state I have been in will only sell you a certain amount of drinks at one time, and that is usually two per ID.  Yet, on the golf course if I ask the cartgirl on the 4th tee to make me a bloody mary and give me a six pack and bottle of crown royal, guess what?  She is going to do it, with a big ol smile on her face and no one is really going to check to make sure that I have not been drinking too much and should be cut off.

Don't want to pull this thread off topic anymore.

I didn't take the poll because neither really fit for me. I do buy beer at the course when they sell it. If/when they don't (due to the religious atmosphere out here, courses can't sell it on Sundays), I do bring a couple of my own. So... half the time I do the right thing, half the time I don't.

Two of the courses I play have water coolers at some of the holes so I doubt they care if I bring a water bottle. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a cold beer and I just buy those from the cart girl.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

I'm not much of a drinker, especially when playing golf, so I voted no, I don't smuggle booze onto the course.  I drink water which is free on the course and Gatorade which I willingly purchase from the course.

Joe Paradiso

I am going to support "no" vote for yet another reason.   Sometimes, I see guys sneaking in huge amount of drinks (2 cases of beer, a tall bottle of vodka, etc.).  Almost all of these guys get wasted before the round is over and their behavior often goes south..   If they were forced to buy the drinks at the course, I think the mere cost will make them drink less.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I would ask what laws don't have their basis in some type of moral conduct/obligation or ethics? But that is probably for a different thread.

Tax law and yes relevant to this thread because alcohol is a controlled substance with Fed and State laws for how it's taxed and consumed. Just because it's a golf course doesn't change anything. Just because you can buy alcohol from a store doesn't mean you are free to consume it where ever you chose. I don't see why this should be confusing. Applying and being granted a license for anything comes the responsibility to adhere to the regulations set forth by the issuing entity. When you are granted a driver's license or a hunting license or any license you have agreed to abide by whatever the terms are. Golf courses don't get to make their own rules about how and who can or can't consume alcohol on their property.

You seem to think the motivation is profit via restricting bringing in outside alcohol but they don't have a choice. Just like a bar doesn't have a choice just like you can't have an open container in your car. Laws don't always make sense to everybody but they are put in place for various reasons. Alcohol isn't like soda the government dictates how we can use it not the golf courses.

I don't think those drink signs apply to water.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal to bar people from bringing water because of the potential health hazard it creates.

As far as buying food or drinks from courses, I rarely do.  Every time I've bought food and drinks while playing it has made me sluggish and play like crap.

I will admit to bringing outside goodies into movie theaters though and I'm not the least bit sorry about refusing to pay $4 for a bag of M&Ms; or $7.50 for 30 cents of popcorn.

Note: This thread is 1320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!