IGNORED

To Carry or to Push (my bag)

Elmer
Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you Carry your bag or use a Push cart?

• Carry Bag
    • Use a push cart
    • I am a slacker, I ride in a cart!

Here is the deal, I have always walked. I used to carry my bag, but had to start pushing a cart due to surgery to repair a torn shouder labrum. Now that I am 5 years from recovery and my shoulder feeling better I am thinking of carrying again.

What I loved about carrying was that my bag was packed with only the bare minimum to play golf. A few balls, 2 gloves, umbrella only when there was a chance of rain. I even found myself cutting down on clubs to take some weight off.

I liked the mobility that you dont get with pushing a cart. I can walk almost anywhere, even up on the green.

Being a slight out of shape guy I also find it to be great exercise. Of course the next day I was whooped. Since I play mostly during the week in a league it meant that the next day I was a shell of myself at work.

But carrying was a challenge. I guess one of the only problems I had was I always had to hurry and play catch up. I am usually the longest in the group, so I have to wait for the fairway to clear, so I tend to hit last. Which means once I have tee'd off my group is usually making their way down the fairway, usually in carts and I have mosey on down to play some ready golf. Always makes me feel rushed.

I liked having a cart for the fact that I could load up for every scenario. 30 balls, umbrella, rain suit, flask, 30 pack of busch light, food. I could carry all 16 of my clubs, a hatchet and by now, if you are still reading you should be aware that I am somewhat joking about the content of my bag, I know the rules only allow 15 clubs!

I tried to run this by SWMBO, but her eyes glazed over and her mouth may have foamed up and did not respond.

The only reason I really asked her was she tends to be able to tell me when I am in over my head.

But being close to the end of the year I am looking forward to making some changes for next year. Working on fixxing the errors in my swing, getting in a little shape, walking more, running.

So I ask you, do you find carry wears you out a little more on the course?

How much of difference does it make in your game?

How do you know when it is time to give it up and become a slacker?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love carrying. When I first started walking, I pushed a cart, I could barely finish nine holes and I had to drag myself to the car and strain to lift the clubs into the trunk I was so tired. But I started working with light weights and treadmill 30 mins three times a week, and got stronger. The first time I carried, I got to the course a little late and was going to ride to get in 18 before dark, but the clubhouse was closed, so I figured I would carry and play five holes, the fifth hole ends near the clubhouse, but I ended up walking all nine, and haven't looked back. The only time I ride anymore might be on the back nine if I am playing 18. I never use a push cart anymore.

I did buy the lightest bag I could find, and only carry a water bottle aside from the minimum golf stuff I need. Ok, and a flask.

• Upvote 1

I love carrying. When I first started walking, I pushed a cart, I could barely finish nine holes and I had to drag myself to the car and strain to lift the clubs into the trunk I was so tired. But I started working with light weights and treadmill 30 mins three times a week, and got stronger. The first time I carried, I got to the course a little late and was going to ride to get in 18 before dark, but the clubhouse was closed, so I figured I would carry and play five holes, the fifth hole ends near the clubhouse, but I ended up walking all nine, and haven't looked back. The only time I ride anymore might be on the back nine if I am playing 18. I never use a push cart anymore.

I did buy the lightest bag I could find, and only carry a water bottle aside from the minimum golf stuff I need. Ok, and a flask.

My home course's front 9 is up a side of a hill and then down. Makes for a tough, but rewarding walk.

I have a decent carry bag, but it could be lighter.

I started pushing because my old man had bought a top of the line push cart when the gas prices went up, however he never actually walked.

SO I inherited a cart.

I guess one perk of carrying, is you can just pick the bag out of your trunk and head to the tee. No need to fiddle around with a cart.

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I use a clicgear push cart.  I play 5-6 rounds per week during the season and walk all of them.  Carrying I got back and shoulder soreness and I started feeling fatigued by the end of every round.  With the push cart I never have that issue plus I can bring along rain gear, lots of water, etc etc.  I really enjoyed carrying (I have a ping moonlight for playing a quick 9 holes) but for 18 holes it's no contest for me, push cart all the way.

Brad

I use a clicgear push cart.  I play 5-6 rounds per week during the season and walk all of them.  Carrying I got back and shoulder soreness and I started feeling fatigued by the end of every round.  With the push cart I never have that issue plus I can bring along rain gear, lots of water, etc etc.  I really enjoyed carrying (I have a ping moonlight for playing a quick 9 holes) but for 18 holes it's no contest for me, push cart all the way.

That's true, I don't play 18 carrying, maybe a push cart when I plan to play 18 on the front nine will leave me with enough energy to walk the back nine. Will try it.

Find a course that has pull carts for rent and see how it works for you carrying versus pulling. Even with my bad back I prefer to carry but I know people who prefer push. The only way to find out what is right for you is to try, try, try.

I dread the day that I can no longer carry my clubs. I probably carry about 80 to 90% of my rounds. The other 10 to 20% usually has to due with the amount of time I believe the round will be. If it is going to be more than 4 1/2 hours I'll take a cart. I feel that fatigue has more to do with time than distance or terrain.

Brandon Fox

Rochester, NY

I'd carry if I had to but having the bag on my back, and as hilly as the courses are, my back would get unbelievably sweaty and I'd be toweling myself off before every shot. Pushing is plenty exhausting as it is.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I have always preferred walking to riding in a cart, since the first time I tried it.

When I lived in Philadelphia, where the courses were relatively flat, I found that my Clicgear push cart was preferable to carrying.  Less fatigue, and I could carry a few more items that I wouldn't otherwise.

Since I've moved, the courses where I live are all very hilly, so that has changed things a bit.  With extreme hills, the push cart can sometimes be more difficult than carrying.

My (strange) compromise: when playing alone (on a weekday or something), I usually carry.  However, if I'm in a foursome, I use the pushcart, since it's a bit easier with a bit more standing around.

- John

I use a pull cart. Might upgrade it to a push cart soon. I used to carry, but I found it added fatigue on my back and legs that could affect my game and I don't need the exercise anyway. Carrying just seems like work now. Plus, I got tired of ruining golf polos.

So now that I've gotten used to hauling everything and the kitchen sink in my bag, I don't think I could ever go back to carrying. It's not that I care about being overly prepared or anything, but mostly because I'm too lazy now to go through my bag and take out unnecessary items or put them back into the bag in case of rain or something.

I don't take a cart unless it's included in the greens fees. No reason to spend the extra money.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If your interested in the fitness aspect, carry your clubs making sure you have a double shoulder strap to even the weight.  If not, get a battery powered trolley and concentrate on keeping your stamina for the game, and your mindset.  I know players of all levels who push, pull, carry, use a battery, so don't expect your scores to see a revelation.  But if your not carrying to keep fit, what is better than walking casually like a tour pro while something else carries and you can be fresh with your mind more on the shot?

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

I always walk but I use a pull cart now. I used to carry, but the one time it put too much pressure on my back and then affected my round I said NOPE. Nothing gonna mess with my round, I have enough problems as it is. :)

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

I tested all of the bags in the store to find the lightest one that I could carry backpack style. I don't think I could do it "one shoulder" style, as this would wear out that shoulder.  I  use the Ping carry bag "Hoofer 14" It weighs 5.5 lbs. I am almost 59 with a healthy back, so I like it. It took a while to get into good enough shape for it, but I have begun to consider golf a fitness thing and stopped worrying about my score so much.

I carried for many years, but the back said get a push cart when I reached 60 years of age. But a few years ago my knees said ride in a cart. So now I ride in a cart, but I walk every other hole and my wife, who I always play golf with, walks the other holes. Works out well for us as we both love to walk, but the body has told us it is time to slow down a bit. I have always felt the best way to play golf is to walk, look around at your surroundings, and enjoy the course and have fun playing the game for a lifetime, golf.

push cart.  surprisingly burns about the same amount of calories as carrying the bag.

probably without the added wear and tear.....

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

push cart.  surprisingly burns about the same amount of calories as carrying the bag.

I would agree that a push cart is pretty much equal - calorie-wise - with carrying, unless the course is extremely flat.  On any hill, the "ease" of pushing is outweighed (pun intended) by the extra weight of the cart.

Another thing I've learned is to treat the push cart like a motorized cart rather than wheeling it right up to your ball - you wheel it close to where your ball is, but often leave it and grab one (or even two) clubs and then come back to it once you hit.

- John

Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!