IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

37 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

84, meh. The key thing was I played Thursday, 24 hours before the winter storm that is dumping inches of wet snow & winter mix. The weather and course conditions yesterday were not nice but compared to how it will be next week, it was like Palm Springs. (okay, big exaggeration).

You didn't follow up with a round today?   😀

We have Thunder Snow!

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, dennyjones said:

You didn't follow up with a round today?   😀

We have Thunder Snow!

Yes! Thunder snow and Thunder ice last week. Very large tree branch came partially down across our driveway and road. Spent this morning with a chain saw and shovel.  😡

Shot a "2".

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

Played in my first Elite Am Golf Tour event on Saturday.

Shot one over 36-37= 73 and won Low Gross by a shot.

Hit 9 of 14 FW, 10 of 18 GIR and 29 putts. 1 eagle, 3 birdies, 6 bogeys.

Nice to get the first one out of the way. Looking forward to the courses around here to come out of dormancy, especially the greens.

• Thumbs Up 3

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

First round of the year for me was at Coyote Springs Golf Club in Mesquite, NV. I shot an 87 although I did not play that well. Putting saved me as I had no 3 putts for a total of 34 putts. Lots of scrambling and playing from the rough.  Had a triple on a par 4 because I went out of bounds. I am encouraged by my ball striking and putting, but my alignment was off. Lots of pushes and pulls. I have plenty of things to work on, as always. Handicap is at 14.1. 

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

Played a couple of 9 hole rounds recently

+1

Lvl

- 3 (This was actually a very good round with a couple of missed birdie putts inside 10ft)

These won't get put in as general play cards as I was playing alone (Plus general play cards that count towards your handicap are being limited to (I think) two of eight in England for elite amateur events, so there is no point submitting them as I wouldn't get in)

First round in 4 months. Shot an 83 (diff 10.8).

• Fw: 10
  • Greens: 6 (abysmal)
  • putts: 34 (only one 3-putt)
  • Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Decent round today.  Funnily enough despite warming up properly, my first hole hit my second into the water short of the green.  Decent shot but not enough.  But overall good round.

Double, bogey, par x 3, bogey x 2, par x 2, bogey x 3, par x 2, bogey, par x 2, bogey.

5 over and 5 over.  Total 10 over

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Played Minnesott from the gold tees.  Shot 86 (41 front / 45 back).  Of the six pars made, three were up and downs.  Total of 30 putts with no three putts!  Had two double bogies, both of which were on the back nine. Goal is to have a full round with no doubles.  In looking at my approach stats, I am short way more than right/left/long. Focus will be to club up and  use the back of the green distance.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Not a great round today.  I realised I was hungry and dehydrated on the 18th, which explains why my back 9 was so bad.  Overall happy with my front 9 except 1 hole.  I started on the 10th.

10-18

Bogey, par, bogey, par, quadruple, bogey, par, bogey, par

The quadruple was just a funny hole.  Hit my driver left into the trees and punched out to the fairway.  Actually punched out so well that it ran across the fairway and actually went OB right of the fairway.  That led to a bunch of bad decisions/shots for the 8.

1-9

bogey, triple, bogey x 3, par, double, bogey, par

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Played in my second Elite Am Golf Tour event on Saturday.

Shot four over 41-35= 76 and won Low Gross in my flight. Also 2 skins and a CTP.

Hit 8 of 14 FW, 11 of 18 GIR and 33 putts. 2 birdies, 4 bogeys and a sloppy double.

Hopefully that was the last of the cold and windy weather around here. Next event is in 3 weeks so it should be warmer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Played Musgrove Mill Oak tees. Started off hot and was -2 after 4, and in the middle of the fairway on 5. Came up short on approach and rolled 15 yards back into waste bunker muddied by rain, nice bunker shot rolled off back edge into another waste bunker.  Pitch on and 3 putts later, I am +1!

Changed putter grip from claw last time when I had 6 3-putts, to double overlap, and made 5 3-putts today.

Great driving day with 11 fairways; 8 GIR (6 on the front). 35 putts and 1 penalty shot. 

My first 9 holes of the year... 56 with about 6 lost balls. 

Didn't feel I drove it very bad,  nor did I chip or putt bad for the first rd in over a year. 

But I just can't keep balls in play. Every single errant tee shot or approach shot is an instant lost ball. 

I expected to take some time getting my game back,  but in the 7 rds I've played in the last 29 years, I don't think I've broken 100.

Safe to say that I simply cannot play this game. 

Tale of 2 Nines yesterday, although I did get to add one to the birdie challenge list, so that was good.

36-43-79

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Funny that I finally put a decent score together Saturday 36-38  with bogeys on 17 and 18.  Started the first six holes with 2 pars, a double bogey, bogey, birdie and eagle.  Typical even par start !  😁

• Upvote 1

Played a practice round on Friday and then a singles and doubles match play in an inter-club tournament on Saturday.  Not sure of my Saturday score since putts are conceded and I wasn't keeping score either (my partner was).  On Friday had a decent round.

Par, bogey, par, double, bogey, par, bogey x 2, par, bogey, par x 3, bogey x 3, par, bogey.  6 over and 5 over for a total of 11 over.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

21 hours ago, Voltron1 said:

My first 9 holes of the year... 56 with about 6 lost balls. 

Didn't feel I drove it very bad,  nor did I chip or putt bad for the first rd in over a year. 

But I just can't keep balls in play. Every single errant tee shot or approach shot is an instant lost ball. 

I expected to take some time getting my game back,  but in the 7 rds I've played in the last 29 years, I don't think I've broken 100.

I suggest you read Lowest Score Wins. It's a book that was co-authored by the owner of this site. It will be helpful for game planning, learning how to practice properly, etc.

Also I highly doubt that every single errant tee shot or approach shot is an instant lost ball. Are you playing a particularly narrow course or one that has water surrounding all the greens or something? If so, maybe you'd be better off playing an easier, more open course until your tee and iron play improve.

Most greens are at least 20-25+ yds in width, figure at least another 10yds or so on each side for rough, bunkers, etc before any serious lost ball potential exists, that means on average you'll get 40+ yds of width to play with for your approach shot, and you're stating that every single time an approach shot is errant it's a lost ball? I have a hard time believing that to be accurate. If that is accurate, then you need to spend some time on a few lessons and practice sessions at the range working on your dispersion with irons as that is a very large dispersion width.

Also, how frequently are you practicing? Any lessons? Only playing 7 times in the last 29 years you need to have realistic expectations about your game, 56 with 6 lost balls isn't horrible, clean up the lost balls and you'd be in the mid 40s for 9 holes.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On 3/28/2023 at 5:14 AM, klineka said:

I suggest you read Lowest Score Wins. It's a book that was co-authored by the owner of this site. It will be helpful for game planning, learning how to practice properly, etc.

Also I highly doubt that every single errant tee shot or approach shot is an instant lost ball. Are you playing a particularly narrow course or one that has water surrounding all the greens or something? If so, maybe you'd be better off playing an easier, more open course until your tee and iron play improve.

Most greens are at least 20-25+ yds in width, figure at least another 10yds or so on each side for rough, bunkers, etc before any serious lost ball potential exists, that means on average you'll get 40+ yds of width to play with for your approach shot, and you're stating that every single time an approach shot is errant it's a lost ball? I have a hard time believing that to be accurate. If that is accurate, then you need to spend some time on a few lessons and practice sessions at the range working on your dispersion with irons as that is a very large dispersion width.

Also, how frequently are you practicing? Any lessons? Only playing 7 times in the last 29 years you need to have realistic expectations about your game, 56 with 6 lost balls isn't horrible, clean up the lost balls and you'd be in the mid 40s for 9 holes.

Well, I finally videoed myself at the range. No wonder I suck. I move too much. My legs are too busy,  and I always seem to come over the top. I also aggravate my back hitting balls or playing. I honestly don't think my body is capable of properly swinging a club anymore. My shot tracer app didn't seem to work today, so I don't have any proof of how innacurate I am. 

I'll tell you exactly how I lose balls on almost every shot I push or pull.  If I pull any approach shot, it goes long and left and it usually ends up in trouble or ob.  Best case,  it'll cost a few shots because I'm chipping in dirt around trees. My typical tee shot miss is a giant push/slice that will be in someones yard, the woods, or another fairway.  Obviously I swing too hard, even when I don't intentionally try and crush the ball.  If the ground is hard,  my balls are usually gone cuz they'll roll right into any trees /water/ob like clockwork. Even if we should be able to find the ball, I can never seem to do it. So I'll count a penalty stroke and just drop it. 

I need to focus on some drills for a month and then maybe I'll try and play again. 

And yes,  I've heard it from teaching pros,  single digit playing partners, etc.  IF I keep it in play.... IF I clean up the blowups... IF you just swing smooth and focus on accuracy.... Yeah,  I cannot get past that if part. 

Thanks for the reply.  I truly appreciate it, but I'm very frustrated. 

Edited by Voltron1