IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Best round of 2023 so far, 76 (5.5 differential). It did not look good for me after I three putted the first two greens for a couple double bogeys to open the round. Shot even par from that point onward with four birdies. My putting was much better once I became used to the green speeds. I was hammering them well past the hole initially. Once I eased off of the accelerator, a few putts dropped and the rest were closer to the hole.

• Thumbs Up 5

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot a 40 with 3 birdies. Had to take an unplayable lie when my ball nestled next to a tree trunk with no way to hit in any direction. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just got done playing a course I've never played before and shot a 91 with 4 lost balls... So I was pleasantly surprised 

• Thumbs Up 1

It is what it is

49 + 44 for a 93

Just felt like body didn’t want to listen at all. Was coming out of everything, hitting everything thin. Had some better success on the back nine, still just couldn’t get myself to take a divot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I have no idea what to make of yesterdays round. I shot a 95 which had the potential to be an 80 or 115. 

Front 9 of 42 (par 34) and a back 9 of 53 (par 38 ). 3 birdies, 3 pars, 6 bogies, 3 doubles, a triple, a quintuple and a sextuple. 

Complete brain fade on 11. Hit a wild tee shot over a line of trees separating the 11th from the 17th and ended up a couple yards from the tree line in the rough. Smart play would have been to hit a wedge the wrong way down 17, then something like a 7 iron down near the front of the green, make a double and walk away happy. Oh no, trees are 90% air right? That makes the odds of me failing to get back in position 4 times in a row about 10,000 to 1. So we’ll call it bad luck rather than appalling course management. When I finally escaped I drove my push cart into a tree stump on the way out and the handle gave me an eye watering couple of minutes. I hate the 11th and it hates me. 

I’d also had a short game lesson in the morning, and I’d promised to keep persevering with the 58 degree. That accounted for another half dozen or so shots lost , along with 2 OB tee shots. So I’m a bad student as well as a bad golfer. 

Stupid, beautiful game. 

Edited by NeilV

Last 5 rounds have been 82, 83, 87, 80, 83. Overall during this time SG are equal to 10 handicap.

Full swing strokes gained stats are a bit confusing. Gaining off the tee, but losing an equal amount in approach, usually these two sync up a bit more since they are full swing stats. Off the tee is usually a little better than approach probably because I hit the ball farther than average for my handicap, but they have never been complete opposites. I need to think on this more, but on the tee I am very meticulous about target/alignment, and I am not sure if I take the same care on approach shots. If I change this habit, at least I will know if there is some mechanical issue, or just poor target alignment.

Still gaining in short game, but losing in putting. Prior to this year putting has always been positive strokes gained, and looking at the numbers putts inside 10 feet are the culprit. Probably need to work on this, especially inside 5 feet.

image.png.a4dc1db5833bc2777d98aab1da7173f0.png

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

An uninspiring 80. Made birdie on #14 and then face planted with four bogeys to finish the round. On the plus side, I put two more birdies on the Away spreadsheet of the Birdie Challenge.

Brian Kuehn

Very happy with my league round last night.  Best 9 holes in a very very long time.  Shot 44 (Par 35).  Only 15 Putts (3 1-putts and 6 2-putts) with No 3-Putts.  I had 5 GIR/NGIR.  Fairway accuracy left a lot to be desired with hitting only 1 of 6 fairways but my misses did not result in any penalties and I was able to recover.  I had one drive measured at 270 yards but it was well right of the fairway behind trees eliminating any shot at the green in two (a par-5 hole) but still got GIR and 2 putted for a Par That drive may have been helped by the dry & hard conditions.

The course must have been playing easy because 22 out of 25 league players shot below their average but still, 44 is very low for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 5/27/2023 at 6:43 PM, David L Yskes said:

Just got done playing a course I've never played before and shot a 91 with 4 lost balls... So I was pleasantly surprised 

What course!

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Played League last night and melted down. 
Shot a 48. I pretty much found a different way to screw up every hole. 

Opened with a triple on a hole in which I made an NGIR.

I also found the water 3 times. To be fair, I hit some great shots. But far too many really bad ones. Most of the bad ones were irons over-cooked and hard left. 

On the upside, I played really well out of the sand. ... So I got that going for me. 🤷‍♂️

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Shot 44-39-83 after carding a TEN on the par three third hole. I hung in there.

Bill M

43 on the back 9
Pars on 11, 13, 15 & 18.
Finally fixed my way to inside take away. This resulted in solid contact and a much straighter ball slight.
Switching from the 35" Cleveland classic back to my 34" Odyssey white hot has given me a better feel for the greens.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Shot a 43. Back half was better when I slowed stuff down. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Shot 83 (43 /40) off the white tees at RiverBend (69.1 / 123).  First full round at this course this year. Went bogie-par-bogie-par on the first four holes.  Picked up a dbl on five before going par-bogie-bogie-bogie to wrap up the front seven over at 43.  Made the turn parring ten, bogies on eleven and twelve.  Thirteen (an all water carry) is a nemesis hole.  Today was clear the water, short of the green, pitch up and easy putt for par.  Love up and downs like that.  Fourteen had the putt of the day.  Landed short on the approach, used the 8i for an easy bump and run, just hit it tick too heavy. Stopped in the fringe above the pin about 20’ away. Putter off the green with an easy roll that had perfect pace gently rolling center cup for par.  Another great up and down!  Par on fifteen and double on sixteen.  Par on seventeen and finished with bogie on eighteen.  The last hole had the potential for a sand save par - just missed it by a couple of inches as the ball finished just left of the cup pin high.  A good day with the driver - 10 of 14 fairways, 4 GIR and 7 nGIR, 4 up and downs for par.  30 putts - solid on pace as most misses were just left or right finishing within a foot of the hole.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played Apple Valley Rumbling Bald in NC today. My 7th round of the year and my 2nd since switching to the Upper Core swing.

Shot 43-46=89, which, I believe, might be my worst round ever at this  course. I normally hit about 9.5 fairways per round and hit 8 today with 8 GIR. My misses killed me as I had 5 penalty shots. Inconsistent putting with poor iron play and short game. After a great drive on 18, and an approach to 18 to 4’, horseshoed my birdie putt for a tap in par.  Struggled swinging my old swing a few times which led to monster hooks! Definitely need to play more and I have my 2nd upper core swing lesson on the 12th.

1 hour ago, Clemsonfan said:

Played Apple Valley Rumbling Bald in NC today. My 7th round of the year and my 2nd since switching to the Upper Core swing.

Shot 43-46=89, which, I believe, might be my worst round ever at this  course. I normally hit about 9.5 fairways per round and hit 8 today with 8 GIR. My misses killed me as I had 5 penalty shots. Inconsistent putting with poor iron play and short game. After a great drive on 18, and an approach to 18 to 4’, horseshoed my birdie putt for a tap in par.  Struggled swinging my old swing a few times which led to monster hooks! Definitely need to play more and I have my 2nd upper core swing lesson on the 12th.

I tied you  but  for  me a great round  on the  Newport  News public  course. 89 was awesome.

Same dumb schtick since joining.

9 hours ago, jxdama said:

I tied you  but  for  me a great round  on the  Newport  News public  course. 89 was awesome.

That is awesome, @jxdama! Very happy for you!