IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Golf has been frustrating lately because I have felt like my ball striking is the best it has ever been, but the blow-up hole or poor putting has prevented me from scoring well. Life of the bogie golfer. Tonight, in league play, after straining my groin on the very first swing (no warmup as usual) I had my best ever score, a +3 39 with 1 3-putt and a couple shortish missed par putts after good chips that felt like 3-putts. 1 birdie, 4 pars, and 4 bogies. Drove it great, iron play was poor early, but got better, short game was great. Putting was better than usual. My opponent couldn't make it, so we are matching scorecards, but he had to give me 3 or 4, so I am pretty sure I took most of the points this week.

War Eagle!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Steady(ish) 92 yesterday. Short game and putting were much better than in recent weeks with 29 putts. It was a game of 2 halves though with 42-50 against par of 34-38. 

Made double on 2 of them and quad on the third. If I can keep the ball in play for 18 holes I should be on for a PB given the course conditions and the way the rest of my game is going. 

3 bad swings (all pull hooks) off the tee cost me 3 lost balls and 6 shots or so. 

43-39-82

My 3 best scores of the season are in my last 4 rounds. Lowest index in over 2 years. Shouldn't that be going the other way when you turn 70? 😎

Bill M

39-42 yesterday at Spooky Brook. I’m hitting my summer peak, or as I like to call it, the four weeks of the season that ruin any chances of competing in net tournaments in the spring.

Last five rounds are all counting in my index.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Played a private course, Carolina Country Club, and shot 79 from the Blue Tees. My game has been trending upwards the past 6 rounds and I played well hitting 11 fairways and greens.

+2 after 14, I three-putted the peninsula green on the 16th; missed a 6’ putt for par on the 17th; and triple-bogeyed the par 5 18th after only being 197 out after my drive.  Need to finish the rounds better!

Played Musgrove Mills from the Oak tees (72.3/155). Shot 42-41 for one of my better scores at this course. Greens were speedy and I birdied 1 and 15. 10 FW and 8 GIR with 33 putts.

My last 5 rounds have all counted towards my handicap and I am playing well despite some poor holes today. Bogeyed a few holes from inside 40 yards and double -bogeyed the par 5 13th after hitting the 5W for safety! 

Keys for me:

Swing changes have started to come together but I still need work. Changing to the TM Spider GT with a plumber’s neck has reduced my average Putts/GIR by 10%. Learning a low launching wedge shot from Clay Ballard which was provided in an email from Snell Golf. I have had more kick-ins in my last 7 rounds of golf than I can recall- even when my handicap was more than half what it is now. Those are contributing plenty to my putts/ GIR reduction!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Clemsonfan said:

Played a private course, Carolina Country Club, and shot 79 from the Blue Tees. My game has been trending upwards the past 6 rounds and I played well hitting 11 fairways and greens.

+2 after 14, I three-putted the peninsula green on the 16th; missed a 6’ putt for par on the 17th; and triple-bogeyed the par 5 18th after only being 197 out after my drive.  Need to finish the rounds better!

Sounds like the CCC where my daughter plays her conference championship.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Sounds like the CCC where my daughter plays her conference championship.

It is! I reached out to you when you updated us on her results and the two girls from another school who played that had been recruited to fill empty spots. Please notify me when they play next time. I would love to meet you in person and watch them play.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Clemsonfan said:

It is! I reached out to you when you updated us on her results and the two girls from another school who played that had been recruited to fill empty spots. Please notify me when they play next time. I would love to meet you in person and watch them play.

It's on their calendar already.

site.png

The official Women's Golf page for the Methodist University Monarchs

April 22-24.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

After kicking off my golf elbow treatment, I played my first round – a 54-40, 94 – at my usual spot, Siena, my home course (I usually score in the low 80s here). The front nine had me preoccupied with adapting my swing to spare my elbow any discomfort. Yet, by the back nine, I'd loosened up and was genuinely enjoying the game. Everything began falling into place just right, with no worries about hurting myself again.

Edited by Nave

Nave

I shot an 88 today at MacDonald golf course in Wichita Kansas, one of our municipal courses here.  Only 4 pars and two doubles, the rest bogeys.  I am pretty happy with that as I have only this year regularly broken 90 after retiring, having golfed for 10 years and still improving at age 62.  

I hit 3 pretty long putts in the 10-foot range which helped, but 3-putted two holes on the back nine.  My approach shots have been improving and I hit several greens from 100 to 170 out which is an improvement.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Long since my last post here. It's been a strange season for me with a lot of inconsistency in my game. I've shot mid 70's one day and mid 90's the next. I've been through periods this season with the shanks with my non-fullswing wedges (still got it) and have zero confidence with driver in hand. Somehow (with the hcp system we have now I've managed to get my index down to 6,1 this season....with 18 shots difference between my best and worst rounds)

My morning round yesterday ended up being a good one, but it didn't look like that early in the round on my home course - 6250 yards par 72, slope 147/rating 72,7 (wet and soft conditions with little to no roll): 

Front 9 (par 35)

Hole 1 - 535y Par 5: A slider to the left from tee, that I just managed to keep it in play in the left rough (5 yards from the white sticks on the left), but I got some distance on is so I was left with 220y from the rough, with the ball above my feet and decided to try to get it up towards the green. Didn't hit my best, but got it to the right semi rough around 90y short of the green. A little AW to the fring from there and a chip to a tap in for par. E

Hole 2 - 150y Par 3 (15y downhill): A soft PW slided a bit left for me and the ball bit a sprinkler 10' left of the green and bounced 20 yards into the woods to the left. A horrible break. I had a microwindow through some branches that I gave my best to hit....and missed. It hit a branch and ended up with a worse lie, but with a bigger gap to find the green. Hit a great shot from there and left my self with 15 feet for a bogey. Hit a great putt that had a taste around the entire lip before it fell to rest on the edge of the hole. Double bogey. +2

Hole 3 - 350y par 4: A bit uphill and into a breeze, but that didn't matter much because I hit an absolute shocker of a drive into the trees on the left (70y off line). From there I was looking at tree trouble and a 190 yards shot from an ok lie in the rough. Needed to hit a 40 yard hook around the trees to get it anywhere near the green and pulled off a really nice one with my 6i  to the fairway 10feet short of the green. Chipped it to 4'' and got away with a par. +2

Hole 4 - 195y par 3: Into a bit of breeze, so I tried to hit a low 6i, but hit it poorly and got a low slider to the greenside bunker left of the green. Not a good shot. 20 yard shot from the bunker was hit way too clean and went straight over the green to the rough on the right in stead. Was left with a 20 yard pitch to a green that runs heavily away from me, so I tried to land it on the fridge to release down to the hole, but landed it 2feet to short on the fringe and it completely died there. Opted to putt it down the hill (20 feet) and got it to a tap in for another double. Two doubles on the first two, quite easy, par 3s is not the way to start a good round of golf.  +4 

Hole 5 - 380 yards par 4: Dogleg left and down wind. Hit another horrible drive, short and 70 yards off line to the left rough. Left with 165 yards and some high pines to get over. Hit a good 9i from there to the left fringe. Left a relatively easy chip from there 5 feet short and missed the putt. Bogey. +5

Hole 6 - 340 yards par 4: Not a driving hole (with a very narrow FW from 190-300 yards from tee). Tees up a 7 iron and barely hit the ball. It didn't make it to the fairway in the wet semi rough and left me with 240 yards to the green. The lie was not the best so I went with a 4i in stead of a spoon. Hit a decent shot from there and was left with a 35 yards shot from left rough. It should be a fairly easy shot with enough green to work with, but I hit a horrible shank from there with my 60°. It flew over the left side of the green and into som bushed back there. Hit a great shot from the bushes and got it on the green with 20 feet left for bogey. Hit good putt, but it lipped out for tap in double. Six holes in and complete mishits every other shot did not bold well. Pffff! +7     

Hole 7 - 375 yards par 4: Into wind and a hard dogleg left. Didn't hit my best 4i but it was in play allthough too far left and too short to have  a clear view of the green. Was left with 160 yards and needed to move it 25 yards to the left around the trees to get anywhere near the pin. Hit a real beauty from there and left my self with a 15 feeter for birdie. Great shot! Another really good putt that lipped out. Par. +7

Hole 8 - 165y par 3: 8 yards uphill. Hit a good 8i to the fringe 25 feet from the pin. Went for a chip from there because it was still a lot of morning dew on the fringe. Great chip that stopped 0,2'' short in the line. Par. +7

Hole 9 - 500y par 5: 25 yards uphill. Hit an ok drive to the right semirough. Not very long, decent lie and no other problems, but too short to go for the green. Hit a good 3W up the hill and left myself in the FW with 35y to the pin. Hit a good little pitch with my AW to 7 feet. Another good roll that lipped out. Par. +7   

Front 42 (par 35) - The last three holes was very positive. 

Hole 10 - 540y par 5: Down hill into wind and dogleg left. Completely mishit my drive 70y to rough. Mishit a 3W from there another 60 yards to more rough. Had another go with 3W from there and hit another horrible shot. Now I'm left in the left rough with 240 yards to the front of the green. I do have an angle to cut the dogleg and go for the green (need 200y carry over OB) to be in play. I decided to go for it since that is the only way to score on this hole as played. I pull out my 4i and hit a good shot FW 20 yards short of the green. It would be very good if it wasn't so soft/wet conditions. I managed to get up and down from there to away with a bogey (as played it felt like robbery). +8

Hole 11 - 205 yards par 3: 15 yards down hill, breeze from the right, water short and right. I hit a great 7i pin high 25 feet left of the pin. Tough putt downhill with 8-9 feet break left to right. Hit another great one and drain it. Birdie! +7

Hole 12 - 340 yards par 4: 15 yards uphill tee shot. Finally hit a decent drive to the iddle of the fairway. I got 95y left, and overhit an AW a little bit and end up in the rough just past the green. Good chip to a tap in par. +7

Hole 13 - 385 yards par 4: Finally a good drive 300y down the middle that leaves me with a 85 yard shot from a downhill lie. Pull the approach shot a bit, but end up pin high on the green with a 30 footer for birdie. First put has a bit too much pace an goes 4 feet past the hole. I pull the next one (really bad stroke) and end up with a 3-putt bobey. +8

Hole 14 - 535 yards Par 5: Not a driving hole (very narrow and slopey fairway from 220-300 yards from tee), hit a great 5i, great 6i and a great AW from 95y to 12 feet for birdie. Hit a another good putt that lips out. Par. Good hole! +8

Hole 15 - 125 yards par 3: Into a little breeze to an "island" green. Hit a good AW to 18 feet. Not the best putt from there, but it's within 3 feet so no prob. Par. +8

Hole 16 - 350 yards par 4: Not a driving hole into wind. Great 6i from tee left me with 150 yards (7 yards downhill). Hit a good PW from there to 15 feet. Two putts - par. +8

Hole 17 - 350 yards par 4: Not a driving hole, uphill and doglegg left. Good 4i to right semirough with 120 yards to pin. Really good AW from an uphill lie in the semirough to 14 feet (highest shot of the day). Another lipout. Par. +8

Hole 18 - 530 yards par 5: 25 yards uphill with water on the right. Good drive and good 3W to semirough 20 yards short of green. Flag is on top back level, and I send the pitch 5 yards to long and leaves me with a tricky downhill chip from a tight lie. I chicken out a bit with the chip so I leave it 12 feet short of the hole (3 feet too long and I would run down to the lower level of the green and be left with 30 feet in stead). I make the putt. Par. +8 

Back 38 (par 37)

Total 80 

First 6 holes: 0/6 greens, 0/4 fairways (+7)

Last 12 holes: 5/9 fairways, 8/12 greens (+1)

Golf is a strange game. If only I could find some consistancy and confidence over the ball.

+ Good putting (despite 30 putts), needed to shape a couple of shots both ways and executed well, happy with how I managed to get the game together after a very shaky start. 

- Too inconsistant from tee, bad shot the one time I was in a greenside bunker and I need to get rid of the 4 complete hishits/shanks I hit (shank on 6 and first 3 shots on 10)  

Edited by Troy Ocker
  • Thumbs Up 2

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

First 18 hole rd in over 10 years. 108 total for the rd and got mauled by mosquitoes on hole 1.

Bob O'Link golf in Avon, OH. Gold and white course. 

57 on front with two 8's, a 9 and a 10. Lost about 3 sleeves of balls. 

Back was decent except for losing another sleeve and a half. 51 with a 10 on hole 18. 

Will attempt another rd tomorrow somewhere else. I'm just spending time with my dad and trying to have some fun. 

• Like 1

I got to play 18 today. I played alone and got done in under 2-1/2 hours. 

image.thumb.png.b9cf2e86f548a41b6e331d2e1154cfd1.png

These are my Strokes Gained vs a 5 HCP.

image.png.b1de4a53734b4a98127269503a35db78.png

Tee shots were good enough. Nothing spectacular. My wedges have really come on strong. Approaches still need work. I left a lot of putts short today. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:04 PM, BKellyS said:

I shot an 88 today at MacDonald golf course in Wichita Kansas, one of our municipal courses here.  Only 4 pars and two doubles, the rest bogeys.  I am pretty happy with that as I have only this year regularly broken 90 after retiring, having golfed for 10 years and still improving at age 62.  

I hit 3 pretty long putts in the 10-foot range which helped, but 3-putted two holes on the back nine.  My approach shots have been improving and I hit several greens from 100 to 170 out which is an improvement.  

Welcome to The Sand Trap! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Rd 2 of the year. Shot a 107, at sweetbriar legacy course in Avon Lake, Ohio with multiple 10's on the back nine. 

I had a decent rd going on the front until multiple OB's. Had multiple birdie putts that I 3 putted. Still broke 50. Back nine was going OK until I took a 10 on a par 3. Then I lost about 7 balls on the last 4 holes, but I did birdie a par 3.

I really just don't find anything enjoyable about golf anymore. I have no idea why my dad even plays anymore cuz he is so bad it's miserable to even watch, and he doesn't even have fun. I was ready to quit by hole 13. 

I got to play 9 holes on lunch yesterday. I played alone and cruised around the course on foot with my trusty ClicGear 3.5+ in about an hour and a half.

image.png.d6879475bb3f34fe88695dc98ffe5645.png

For what ever reason I had my approach shots dialed in yesterday. I like to think that it was because I committed myself to making aggressive swings toward conservative targets. But it could also be that I've played a couple of days in a row now and I'm just hitting better shots. 

Here are my strokes gained. As always this is vs a 5HCP. 

image.png.7aa4061a04c1ccf51600938619a20420.png

I'm going to suggest that even though I only got up and down 1 time out of 5 chances, my short game wasn't as bad as it looks here. Nearly all of my short game problems occurred on one hole. On hole number 5 I had a NGIR and ended up making a triple boogie. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The joy of playing irregularly is irregular scoring.  Three double bogeys, think four three putts and 14 over (8 over and 6 over).  I really need to play regularly

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball