IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

46 (9 over)

Short game and putts were awful!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its been a while since I've posted to this thread, but today was different as I finally broke 80 with a 79 (39 front, 40 back) from the gold tees just over 5400 yds at Minnesott today.  Had my son and a good friend (he joined us for the back nine) and it was almost surreal as the round kept going GIR-two putts for par.  Hit 11 of 18 GIR (an all time personal best), one birdie, 11 pars, 4 bogies and 2 doubles (both were careless errors on my part).  Anyway, to have achieved that one was one to check off the bucketlist.   

image.thumb.png.95a9f525e75155b2f391c22a4ac0f080.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

First (12 holes) round in a year, maybe the third round in five years. After prioritizing family for a long time, I’m ready to play more golf. We moved back where I grew up and started playing golf. The course is close, but only six holes and pretty short, so the longest club I bring is a 4i. It is very undulated, with a lot of elevation changes and 4/6 greens are blind shots.

The long game was relatively good (relative to my game and swing). Got things to work on, but the current state is manageable. One OB. Wedges and short game was atrocious. Chunking like I was making a garden. On the worst hole I chunked a 58° approach, then chunked three chips in a row… Time to search up some chipping topics and start practicing. I’ll take this over bad long game and good short game. The short game is easier to fix.

Shot a net +17(!), gross +23, over 12 holes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

47 (10 over)

All my irons were pulling left, which added a nearly a stroke a hole.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

+12 47, and never lost a ball or had a penalty. Got the snap hooks off the tee for the first 3 holes. So, playing the punch out game. Probably had like 20 putts. Bad short game day. The greens were weirdly firm but slow. I just don’t get spin out of the rough. I had a SW, with good height hit middle half of the green and end up almost off the back of the green. I know what I was doing with the full swing. Bad habits creeping in. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Shot a 37 with two birdies. 2 highlights which came on the same hole.  Had a 297 yard drive which set me up for a nice approach on my  nemesis hole which I walked off with a birdie. Previous best for ages was a bogey on that hole.  2 more added to the birdie challenge.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

2 rounds this weekend, one at my home course and another course that I know well.   Played well for 3 of the 4 nines.    Ended up with an 80 and an 88.  Breaking it down by 9, it was 38, 42, 41, and a tough 47 where I somehow ended up with chipping/pitching shanks where I dropped at least 6 strokes on the last 6 holes.

Best of the year so far. Shot at 77 (par 69, short course), which is exactly my handicap. Long game is inconsistent, but it was a good day. Short game and putting helped get there.

The universe even helped line up the putt for my first birdie of the year.

IMG_1919.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Can't brag about a 50 last night but it was the best round of my season (4 rounds of 9 holes) so I am not as upset as I could be.  One thing I am noticed is that I got a little more confident in my long hybrids and I attempted a couple longer shots that typically I would just lay up and those holes were a big part of the lower score.  Not every shot was great but good enough that they helped.  I even shot par on a Par 5 after taking a drop.  On that hole I would usually lay-up to @ 100 yards and often miss the green altogether with my 3rd shot (or worse chunk my approach and put it in the waste area).  Yesterday I went for it from @ 200 yards out with wind in my face and landed in the waste area short of the green.  My drop left @ 40 yards in and I stuck it to 3 feet for my par putt.  If I had laid up I would have avoided the penalty stroke but likely would not have been on the green in regulation and may still have been working for par.  By going for it I gave myself a chance at birdie and still saved par.

I do not plan on being crazy aggressive but I think I tend to be too conservative at times so I will "go for it" a little more often going forward. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Had to report this one - played Minnesott again today with my son.  We played behind the Friday Men's group and had a decently paced round.  My round started off par-par-bogie.  I was feeling good to be +1 through three.  Played the next two par - par and then disaster hits - well I thought it may be the unravelling of +1 through five.  Tee shot on six is a hard pull hook into the ditch separating four and six.  I know the ball is lost and re-tee - hitting three off the tee on this par five.  Long story short - what should have been at worst a bogie became a triple 8.  Now I'm +4 through six holes.  Get a solid par on seven (which I celebrated as a solid recovery hole).  Eight is a birdie and I'm back to three over.  Nine, a par 3 over water, finishes par for a 39 front.   We roll to the back to where I birdie ten (the toughest hole on the back) to be -1 after the first hole on the back, +2 for the round.  Par eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen and fifteen - that was an in the zone moment.  Have to note that fourteen - the second par 3 on the back - I hit the tee shot just short right of the flag.  Easy pitch with the 56 should put me close for a tap in par.  It does not happen - as I duff the pitch to about 3yds closer.  I reset and this time I nip it nicely only to see it land and slowly roll to the cup and drop in for a chip-in par save ( a first).   We get to sixteen and I am thinking this could be a really good round.  It's also a par 5 and I hit a solid tee shot.  I'm about 220 from the center of the green and figure I can layup with the 3w as there is a nice landing area in front of the green and it would play nicely into the typical distance I hit this club.  I'm sitting about 50 yds from the flag to the right hand side.  I overcook the 56 and see the ball bounce off the back of the turtle green.  I hit an easy 56 again to see the ball roll to the other side of the green.  Long story it became a 3putt double.  Now I am +4 through sixteen.  The last two holes are solid pars - one an up and down, the other a GIR two putt. Finished the back 1 over at 37.  Total score is a 76!  A new personal best.  Best "all around" play through the bag to date. 

image.thumb.png.977e5b4896104e3477d364d15b180fed.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played Musgrove Mill GC today. 72.3/155. First round in 4 weeks and shot 44-39. 2 triple bogies on the front and horseshoed 4 putts today. Overall, 10 fairways, 8 GIR and 31 putts.

Set a goal today to par the 3 toughest holes (4, 18 and 9) and birdie 10 or 12 (which I have never birdied). Parred 4, 9 and birdied 10. Crushed my drive on 18 and had 139 left, but in casual water. Dropped back a little ways and took an extra club. Hit my 8-iron well but it came up short. Bunker shot from wet sand left me an 18’ for my goal. Read the break well but perhaps an inch too much break, and a touch heavy on the speed. Ball circled the hole 270* and tapped in for a bogey. Handicap dropped 0.1.

Shot a +1 73 today.

Pretty pleased with the round even though it could have been 3-4 strokes lower without hitting it much different. 1 topped tee shot, a thinned wedge over the green from 40yds, and 2 putts that hung on the lip all could have made this a phenomenal round.

4 birdies total. Had an interesting back 9, 3 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys and a penalty stroke.

Birdied 1 and 18 so that was a fun way to start and end the round.

• Thumbs Up 3

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

Shot 50/41 today. I didn't hit the ball particularly well but not as poorly as the score would indicate. I just happened to hit it in some really punishing places that wound up taking one or two strokes just to hit back into play. The undergrowth and the fescue are really growing in at the course. Lipped out and burned a few edges on putts, too. I always say when I miss putts by that small a margin that they're eventually going to drop as long as I don't deviate from the process and that's exactly what started happening on the back 9. I ended up making a couple of mid-length putts. Five over on the back included a triple bogey on 17.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a 41+44 for a 85.

The golf swing hold up pretty decent for the front line. I started to develop a hook on the back nine. Of course I couldn’t make a putt outside of 5 feet. So that 85 was with like 33 to 34 putts.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

79 today. Didn't feel like I played bad but didn't feel like I played well either. Couldn't get any of my birdie looks to go down besides one when I chipped to a foot after driving it greenside.

• Thumbs Up 1

46+41 for an 87. Driver took a bit to get going. Most of the issues were some hitting balls into hazards or into areas I need to hit recovery shots from. Figured things out and started to play better. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Shot 77 at Eagle Sticks (Middle/ Blue) and 87 at Virtues (Middle/White). Not as sharp at Virtues and for me it was a much tougher course. Both courses were fun, in good shape and interesting. Virtues was clearly a notch or two higher in overall quality (former Longaberger Golf Club).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Brian Kuehn

39-35 today for a +2 (74) on a 72.6/129.

Struggled over the first few holes as I bogeyed five straight to start. Wasn't even striking the ball bad - just couldn't hit a green and didn't hit good chips + one penalty.

Then I went -3 over the next 6 to save the round and then parred the last 7. Golf is fun.

• Thumbs Up 2