IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Zero!  But look forward to tomorrow when we tee off on #4 at 8:50 when it will be a balmy 36 degrees with a feels like of 29 degrees with wind gusts up to 14mph!  

Yes it can get cold down here on Pinehurst!

On 11/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, Gusset said:

When my brother and I ventured out in the rain on Friday to Three Rivers in Kelso. It was a wet day, and the parking lot was empty...we saw four other golfers all day. I would not be surprised to learn that only six people played that day. We got a late start, and played the par-5 18th in near darkness. Light rain, rain, and a couple of downpours most of the round. It finally stopped around hole 15 or so. I slipped and went down walking off the 9th tee, which did a number on my injured right rotator cuff. Took 5 minutes to get it to calm down, but I was able to continue.

I ended up with a disappointing 98. Lot of slices of non-iron shots, so more chipping out of the trees and otherwise not having clear shots into the green than anyone wants, plus a few fat/thin contacts. My newly bagged putter (Axis1 Umbra) felt really nice, though. It gave me a noticeable confidence boost with direction control. Distance control also felt good, but frankly, slow/wet greens aren't a good test. I had one 3-putt, on #17, from my longest distance of the day (~40'). I like this putter a lot.

Despite the slicing, rain, and playing half the day with a muddy backside, it was a great time. It's always fun to get out with my brother, and we knew going in that the weather would be wet, so it was just part of the experience and fun.

just played that track Saturday. Drainage is amazing  and the lack of leaf issues like you have at Mint Valley makes it so much playable. Three Rivers is great for me right now...nothing longer than a 6i off the tee is workable which is my self-imposed limitation. I broke it on hole 1 and sliced into 18th fairway...did not break driver out again until 10 and 11 and gave up on it after 16.  Using 6i left me with an 82. 

Funnily enough, i was hoping to get some of that rain to prep for Bandon in a couple weeks, but my last five rounds have been rain free. The good side is...we are late November and getting sunny rounds in the great Northwet, hallelujah. Enjoy the track. And the playing with your brother

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

48-40-88

Crazy round. Way too many doubles, including one to start the back nine. Played first ten holes +14 and the last eight holes +2. With me it's not round to round, it's hole to hole. I get on crazy streaks, good and bad.

Bill M

90 today (44 / 46) at Minnesott today from the golds.  We were the first out as we had a good frost last night and the course would not let us go till 10:15.  We were a trio (my son and 5yr old grandson).  Started par, bogie, bogie, par, par, bogie.  +4 thru 6, thinking I may clip 80 today as the next three holes I have birdied at one time or another. Not! Finished the front dbl, bogie, bogie.   Make the turn, start off par, bogie, bogie, bogie, par so I am again clocking along with +3 thru the first five holes on the back.  The last 4 holes were dbl, bogie, dbl, dbl for a 46.  Takeaway for the day - remain settled when putting as I had several three putts that should have been two at most, play the higher percentage shots as I played risk/reward too much today and had to scramble more than needed to just try to make par/bogie. It is a great day hanging with the family and shooting relatively consistent golf for me. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I shot a 45 over 9 at Walden Country Club this morning. I have never hit so many greens in regulation , the 9 wood I got 2 weeks ago is getting me on the green from 150 or so really nicely.

With better putting I could have hit 41 , a couple close putts didn’t go my way. I haven’t been putting well the last 2 days , going to spend more time practicing, 

I’ve been using my practice time on wedges and the 9 wood , I need to put some time into my off the tee clubs to get better consistency. 

88 on 6500 yards. Had 2 shots OB on the first 5 holes as it’s a course where it’s hard to go to the range before the round as it’s a long walk away from the first tee. Putting was a disaster all day long. Really hitting the long clubs well now that I grasped the concept of rhythm in the full swing. Was testing a g425 lst with an xstiff shaft this round and it still felt a bit spinny. 

We played the home course, Umstead Pines, on Friday, and conditions were not ideal. 45 degrees and windy, so it felt much colder. We played the whites, which turned out to be a good decision.

I was +4 through 3, but I threw a 90-yard wedge to six feet on the par-5 fourth and made the putt for birdie. Bogeyed in on the front to shoot 44, which I chalked up to be pretty decent as bad as the conditions were, and I even threw away a couple of strokes.

We were able to get through 16 before we had to turn carts in (5:00 deadline and we teed off at 1:30). My last two holes (15 and 16) were two pars, and I gave myself a par on 17 and a bogey on 18 which gave me a 48 on the back and a 92 total. A nine on the fourteenth hole turned what would’ve been a good round into just an okay one. But I’m not that disappointed given how windy it was. 

It’s starting to get cold in Durham, but I’m hoping to get a few more rounds in before the end of the year!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

89 at Pinecrest CC on Sunday, 45/44. 3 pars including a chip in par on 18 which made it all worthwhile. Temp was average of 43 degrees for the round but there was no wind to speak of, but really, this is probably as cold as I can bear, even with winter Footjoy gloves. Greens were surprisingly very fast tho, and the course is still in over all good shape for a public/semi-private track. 

pinecrest-view from hole 11 tee.jpg

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

Shot 85 (43/42) Sunday, 11 nGIR/GIR, 30 putts, 2 penalty strokes (both on approach shots).

Started with double bogey on #1 then hot mess of a quadruple bogey on #2, which set the round off poorly, but played okay after that with a couple hiccups along the way.

Full swing is still the biggest obstacle to consistently better scores. Thinned a couple pitches that were costly, but also had three almost chip-ins, so I would say short game was good enough. Still gaining strokes putting.

Strokes gained vs. 5 hcp:

• Tee = -0.92
  • Approach = -6.01
  • Short game = -1.07
  • Putting = +0.44

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

9 holes, par 32. 3/5 fairways, 5/9 greens, 16 putts (2 3 putts). 4 pars, 4 bogeys, 1 birdie for 3 over. Had to actually make a putt on the last hole to avoid a double bogey.

84 today at RiverBend from the whites.  Today I decided to play “worst ball”, using two balls off the tee (one white, one high vis), the second shot(s) would be from the worst of the two drives, then taking the worst shot of those, do the same.  Also could not use the driver, fairway or hybrid except only when teeing.  This meant irons/wedges all the way in.  Third part was that I would change balls after 6 ans after 12.  Three sets of different balls should make things more interesting.

Thought I had made a big mistake doing this as I was double bogie on 1 & 2 for 4 over.  Too heavy with irons, especially the 5.  Went bogie, bogie, par, bogie to be 6 over thru 6.  Time to apply the next kink in the game as I swapped the ProV1X balls for Top Flite Hammer Control balls (yeah 2pc cheapies).  7-9 were bogie - par - bogie to finish the front 8 over at 44 off a par 36.  Started the back nine par - bogie - par. Irons coming around and I am starting to feel better about this exercise.  Third set of balls now in play at 13, Titleist DT series balls, just because I had some.  Bogie - par - par - bogie - bogie - bogie.  Closed out the back 5 over for a 40 off a par 35. Stats were dismal, 4 of 14 fairways hit (would have been much better as I had a good number of “better” drives that were in the short stuff), 2 of 18 GIR (again playing the “worst” had me playing less than optimal shots).  Putting was decent with 29 putts.  A lot of that was due to scrambling to make par - work w/short irons and wedges in the backyard paid off.   This is for me one of the better on course tests I can do.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played yesterday with a friend of mine with whom I've never played before. We played The Airport Course in Columbus. Not the toughest course on the planet. Par 72, 67.4 rating, 110 slope, 6026 yards. 

I shot a 78. Yay! 

Made a triple bogey on the last hole. Boo! 

3 over through 17 holes. 👍

3 over on the last... 🤮

I played the entire round only concentrating on my priority piece; It payed off big time. GIR's on 5 of the first 6 holes. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Played Wednesday, yesterday was travel day.  Short course, par of 30, 6 par 3's and 3 par 4's. Hit first 6 GIR, target was center of green from 100yds+.  Knew I had a good round going, got up and down on par 4 6th for par from 10 feet off the green pin high. Par 4 8th, hit 5w into bunker but saved par with a 6 foot putt. Then on par 3 9th, with water/geese on right, I left my tee shot 10 feet short of green (nerves) but hit a low chip about to 5 feet and sunk it. Personal best, 29. Played at Mission Hills in Hayward, CA.

Practice helps, I was visiting the area and practiced every other day for a couple hours. Found a nice place (Metropolitan - Oakland) with grass practice area, and I think that really helps, versus mats. 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Shot a 76 at Dennis Highlands. Albeit the tees have been moved up for winter play. around 5600 yards. had a real nice eagle on the par five 18th hole playing around 420 yards. Drop a bomb putt from about 75 feet.

+2 on a quick 9 today. Pretty easy course although no roll in the PNW off season. Used only 4 clubs for a fast getaway from the house and a bit of a challenge. Rangefinder would have been useful.

Technically yesterday- 80, Woodley Lakes from the whites - 38-42 with a horrendous 7 on the easy par 5 13th after hitting a great drive AND a very nice 3 wood to about 91 yards short…then the carnage began - 56 degree fat to the collar…square strike (yep, have on - love it) caught the seam of the collar and went 25 feet past…first putt burned the edge but slipped 4 feet by…4 footer right in the heart but only traveled 3 feet 11 inches…BOOM double bogey…

Tomorrow is Balboa - usually break 80 there, but we will see…

good round to all playing today!

Broke 90 for the first time today with an 89 ! Had been under 45 at Walden , Mellomar, and Hawthorne each of my last 9 hole rounds so was working my way to it.

Bought an 11 wood after work Thursday and it has been a nice addition, getting more comfortable with the old $4 Wilson chipper from eBay as well and keeping away from the pitch shots that have been inconsistent. Been teeing up almost exclusively with the 9 wood recently, mixed in the 5 wood today some off the tee and deck. I was racing the sun as I teed off at 3:00PM solo with no one behind me, I think not having any time to overthink or anyone on my tail helped.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, DCCarpenter said:

Broke 90 for the first time today with an 89 ! Had been under 45 at Walden , Mellomar, and Hawthorne each of my last 9 hole rounds so was working my way to it.

Bought an 11 wood after work Thursday and it has been a nice addition, getting more comfortable with the old $4 Wilson chipper from eBay as well and keeping away from the pitch shots that have been inconsistent. Been teeing up almost exclusively with the 9 wood recently, mixed in the 5 wood today some off the tee and deck. I was racing the sun as I teed off at 3:00PM solo with no one behind me, I think not having any time to overthink or anyone on my tail helped.

Great work here!  Congrats!

• Thumbs Up 1