IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Shot 83 yesterday, 13 nGIR/GIR, 34 putts, 1 penalty stroke.

Solid, but not a great score. However I somehow managed to complete the "no sixes" challenge for a second time. I would not have thought this round was played with no sixes, if not for the shotscope "no more than 5" medal that I saw after editing/signing off my round.

I was a little wild off the tee, and lost strokes there.

Approach play was good, and I was slightly positive strokes gained.

Short game was terrible, but I was experimenting with using 8 and 9 iron for chips shots with more run (those did not go well, but I like the technique).

Putted pretty well, but didn't give myself much help with the short game today.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Short game was terrible, but I was experimenting with using 8 and 9 iron for chips shots with more run (those did not go well, but I like the technique).

Putted pretty well, but didn't give myself much help with the short game today.

Funny I shot a 98 yesterday granted it was only my 4th round this year but I was doing the same thing. I had a few on the practice area that made me think "hmm" so I tried a few on the course and they did not have nearly as good an outcome but I think if I practice it it could make a lot of that around the green stuff much easier and more of a "repeatable" type play.

Course was pretty tricky yesterday they managed to put hazards in all the right places, I think off the tee box 3/4 of us hit the same fairway bunker at like ~250 out 2x during the round haha. Lots of water / OB in areas where if you fatted or thinned your approach shot it was just gone and you had to take the drop which is brutal for someone who shoots in the high 90's.

Decided to take a lesson as my last 4 rounds have all broken 100 and gone mid to high 90's and I have only been playing 2-3 times a year and maybe getting to the range the same amount. Figured if I can hit it into the mid 90's with this level of effort I can probably break 90 with some actual effort and a few lessons. Wish me luck!

23 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Was able to play Pinehurst #2 this morning after a cancellation. It was a split tee start with three Resort Guests and I starting in the back nine ( I don’t like split tees). Last tee time on the front was at 9:30. Two caddies in the group, I pushed a cart. Everyone played fairly well. So well that we played in 1 hour 45 minutes. We made the turn at the 1st tee and waited just over 20 minutes.

Needless to say it threw all of us out of our rhythm. Plus we had the group in front of us playing military golf. I was two over on the back. Speaking of, my back started to stiffen as we waited. The other guys were playing well, pretty sure we were all in the upper 30’s on the back. I consider the back the “easy nine” on #2.

I had pars on 4 of the 1st 5 holes on the front, then two quick bogeys but had pars on the last two. Overall a 77, 9 Fairways, 9 GIRs and 32 putts. Had looks at birdies but missed them all.

Back nine took 3 hours and 10 minutes. Weather was 72 when we started and felt like 72. When we finished it was 89* and felt like 95*. The waiting was the hardest part.

Advice to anyone, don’t do split tees on #2. Automatic 5 plus hours. 

OUCH, 5 hour rounds stink (think alternate 4 letter work begins with S and rhymes with Luck) but to be 3h 10min on 9 holes would be absolutely unbearable to me.  I'm guessing that 20 minute wait at the turn was not your only time waiting.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

5 minutes ago, StuM said:

OUCH, 5 hour rounds stink (think alternate 4 letter work begins with S and rhymes with Luck) but to be 3h 10min on 9 holes would be absolutely unbearable to me.  I'm guessing that 20 minute wait at the turn was not your only time waiting.

Yeah, it’s part of the mystique of Pinehurst. Groups that play the wrong tees. I’ve played with a lot of Guests and our Starters are now asking what tees they intend to play and ask what their HDCPs are. We watch and chuckle as they tee off. But to be fair it’s usually 1 or 2 players that play the wrong tees that contribute to slow play. An believe it or not some Caddies add to that as they double bag and have to wait on two players with different playing abilities.  It’s Par for the Course.

Again don’t play split tees.

This morning we (4 Members) played #4 in 3hrs 20min from the White tees.  Of course familiarity and ready golf contribute to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

87 today, improving on my previous best by another 2 shots. Only hit 1 fairway and 2 GIR, but wasn't missing fairways or greens by much and my chipping and wedges were pretty good. 33 putts. Couple of birdies and 4 pars. Definitely left a few out there.

We'll gloss over the 115 I shot on Saturday, where I couldn't keep the ball in the same postal code off the tee with any club, and looked like I'd never picked up a club before.

NOT a round to brag about yesterday.  Shot a whopping +25 on 9 holes for a 60.  There were many issues with my game but one thing that shocked me I sensed while on the course but was shocked when I saw some shots in SS.  Some shots were going ridiculously long and I overshot my targets on occasion.  For example, on #17 I hit an OK drive and was @ 140 out so I hit my 9I.  I was long & left and per SS I hit it @ 159 which is @ 11 yards longer than my "Performance Average" and this shot was INTO a strong wind.  I never expected to hit it that far, I would have suspected short due to the wind.  Then on #18 which was down wind I hit a great drive @ 264 into the fairway.  That shot makes sense with the wind to my back but what came next surprised me.  I was @ 180 out and I did not want to be short due to waste area short of the green and selected my 6H which has a Performance Average of 178 and due to the wind I expected to be a little long BUT I pulled it left and ended up on the back tee box of #1 and per SS it went 215 yards.  I know wind was to my back but never expected to be that long, @ 37 yards longer than the Performance Average is a lot.  On #15 Par-3 I I sailed the green into trees and had to take a drop.  Needless to say, I lost my match 😞 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

76 today on #4. 40/36. 1 birdie on the back. Sank a ridiculous 25 footer! Had a few sand saves.

Off to Greensboro Country Club tomorrow for a practice round for next weeks 14th North Carolina Super Senior Championship. It has two Divisions. +65 and a +70 Division. I’m in the +65 Division.  They have two 18 holes courses. We are playing the “Farm Course”.

Nice little 83 mile drive from Pinehurst.

Anyone play it before?

Shot 74 today with 2 birdies. Missed 2 birds from 4 ft. Monday shot even 72 with 3 birdies. Both from the senior tees as I'm 68. But hitting the ball as well as anytime in my life..... only much shorter. Plus the fairways are really soft due to lots of rain. But my chipping is saving me a lot. I probably need to quit while I'm ahead. 

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Shot 79 today. 
I moved from the blue tees to the black tees and played better than before (same distance of shots).
Maybe it was the confidence boost or the fact that I had to chose a different club length for my approach shots.

On the blue par threes, I used to be short of the green with my wedges or hit it over the green with my long irons. However from the black tee par three I can reach the green because I use my long irons.

(I need to work on my distance control)

Nave

Only had time for 9 yesterday after work (along with some range time), and fired a wonky 40 (+5 on our front 9).

Once at the course, realized my putter was back at the house where I'd been practicing (or as my cats see it...playing "attack the ball!").  Decided to play anyway and just putt with a bellied wedge.  Started with a triple on #1!  Club championship was last weekend and the Bermuda rough was grown way up for that--and super penal--and I lived in it on a couple of holes.  So, my 9 consisted of a triple, a double, and 2 wedge-putt birdies.

Putting with my wedges was a definite challenge, but really my lost strokes were due to being inaccurate off several tees and having to gouge out.  I changed "putters" from my 50deg to my 54deg and I'll be darned if I didn't drain a ~15 footer for birdie on #5, then an ~8 footer for birdie on #8.  Heck, maybe I'll ditch the ol' Odyssey flat-stick and add the 4i back to my bag. 😜

Had shoulder surgery back in May, and really just happy to be back out there and finally getting some form (and length) back.  Looking forward to playing a lot more and hopefully posting here more as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Played Minnesott from the whites with my son.  Had a 8:50 tee time, so we had a pretty open course ahead of us.  Shot 88 (42 front / 46 back), which seems to be my number.  Started off par, birdie to be -1 thru two.  Bogie on three for back to Even.   Rode the bogie train for the rest of the front to be +6 for a 42.  Back nine started bogie - double for +3.  Next three were bogie - par - bogie. A double on 15, par on 16 with a double on 17 (the easiest hole on the back).  Finished with bogie on 18 to be  10 over 46 on the back.  Drives were more miss that hit as I was 5 of 14 on fairways. Just 2 GIR with 5 nGIR. 33 putts, with one 3 putt, 4 one putts. Big take away was that  I narrowly missed a number of putts that were for par by the ball just rolling left or right, stopping within 12” or less past the hole.  He finished with an 89.  We had several shots that were playing within a few yards of each other.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Played 9 holes, par 34 ~3000yd course. Lost 3 shots to par, got a 37. Looking at things to try to figure out where I lost shots, I had to punch out sideways from a drive that rolled thru the dogleg into grass and weeds, but got the bogey. And on two 400 yds par fours, my approach was from about 195 on each and I hit one bouncers just barely offline and short into the sand. I can't be to upset, usually I'd layup from that distance because I don't really have a shot that will hold the green in these dry conditions, and I've been working hard on bunker play precisely so I can go for distant greens.  Made 2 up and outs from the sand, decent (for me) but couldn't sink either putt, so both bogey. I did have a sand-save on the 200 ytd par 3. Hit over the green on another 160 yd par 3, same club as always, so I think Im getting stronger, which is a good thing. 4 GIR.

This was my best round on that course ever, on the front 9 and I think it will be hard to top ir for awhile.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

+11, 47

nothing much to say. Just a bad night in all areas

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

97 at Carolina Colours in New Bern today. Played with my wife’s first cousin’s husband.  Jim and I try to play a couple times while they are in town.  We had an 8 am tee time, so everything was wet.  The greens were almost too receptive, balls stopped on a dime and putts had to be struck well to get a decent roll (even saw a rooster tail on one putt).  Was a tough day in terms of scoring with a 97 (50 on the front/ 47 on the back). We played from the whites (6200 yds 69.6/125 slope rating). The round was basically feast or famine - with 3 pars, a lot of good looks for up and down pars did not materialize but became bogie with a couple 3 putt dbl, then there was the triple and the quad.  9 of 14 fairways hit, 5 of 18 GIR l, two nGIR and 42 putts.  We plan to hit a another course later next week. BTW - he finished 10 strokes better, just off his scoring average. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

113. Ugh. After my glorious 99 last week ;). 

There were no memorable shots except maybe one 5 wood I hit really clean about 240 yards. But I was already hitting four on that shot. 

The greens at the course I played at (Yucaipa Valley) were godawful slow and I just never adapted. I only 2-putted twice. Everything else was a three putt. 

The swing was just off today. Nothing ever felt right. No groove was gotten into. It was like the heat (104F at tee-off) was mocking me. 

There was a foursome in front of me (I was playing as a single) that refused to let me play through, but I'll gripe about that on another thread. 

They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken. – Ray Floyd

So having broken 90 for the first time in the middle of July, my last 3 at my home course have been 89, 87, 88. 
Yesterday’s 88 gave me a lot of satisfaction as I started with a triple and was not driving well all day. Mentally I managed to stay in a good place throughout, and would probably have been a few shots better if my dodgy hip hadn’t started to give trouble on about the 15th. 
Full of painkillers and back out again today🤦‍♂️

Shot 43-41, 84 at Cobb’s Glen on the tees that measured just under 6500 yards. My target score was 81 for handicap.  

9 GIR and 10 FW with two topped drives- which I haven’t hit in years! We had the first tee time and the greens were slow and gradually increased by round’s end. I did a poor job of adjusting, and having 36 putts, it showed.  3-putted a par 5 to set off a 5-bogey streak on the front, and 1-putted the 18th for par.  Everything else was 2 putts.  

Made a cardinal sin and double bogeyed from 78 yards after a great drive.  Hurt my feelings to waste that!  Pulled SW into a bunker; not much sand in bunker and I airmailed my wedge. Chipped to 8’ and missed the bogey putt.  Would love to play that course again and see if I could improve!

Played Green Knoll again, 49/44 for a 19.6 differential. Hit the ball well off the tee, but everything else was just a little bit off, probably due to lack of practice during the week. Partial wedge shots were starting to become a strength the last few rounds and today I chunked two of them, and topped one. Couldn't make a putt, but lipped out a few. Birdie putt on #3 hit the flagstick and bounced to the low side of the hole and down the slope, ending up 6' away. Probably should have pulled that one. Struggled out of the bunkers again, but almost holed two pitch shots. It was just one of those days.

I really need to find a good place to practice my greenside bunker shots. My approach shots are getting better which means I'm missing greens closer and I'm finding myself in bunkers more often than before.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread