IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Had a rough round today. I know I need to keep my head still and down but kept lifting my head prior to contact on many shots.  Took 3 lost ball in the first 3 holes.  Front nine shot 49 which given the number of penalties was not bad.  Back 9 I too only 1 penalty but still shot 53 for a combine 102.  Just too many crap shots!

Only bright spot was my chipping where I dropped several within 5 feet.  A few within 2 feet.  Score would have been horrendous is chipping was not good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Taking part in an ACS fundraiser to hit 310 golf balls in July. I've gotten out 4 times and I've shot 42, 40, 48, 46. The 48 was a round where everything was just a little off, short game in particular, and just snowballed. Shot 46 today where the driver was good, but my short game touch is just awful right now. The greens are a little baked out, and even decent chips aren't stopping. I need to practice and adjust. 

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Shot a 97

I could not keep the driver in play. Lots of slices right. Not including recovery shots, I had 6 penalty strokes off tee shots. 

I had one bad short game shot. I three putted 6 times. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Shot a 77 (7.1 differential) in my club championship yesterday. I think I won my 56 to 60 age bracket. Didn't stick around to see the official posting. My stubborn index is coming back down.

I did not drive the ball exceptionally well, but I was able to keep from making too many bogeys by good play around the greens. I also avoided anything above a bogey. I had two instances where when recovering from an errant drive I opted to get it in play to help ensure I did not get double bogey. I kept my greed in check. In both of those instances I converted them to a par. One was from 60 yards out and the other from maybe 5 yards off the green. I landed them both close enough for a 1 putt par.

I went to the course a few times this past week to sharpen my chipping and putting. Problems with my back keep me from playing too many rounds leading up to the event. 

Edited by Carl3
  • Like 1

88 (43+45)

Kept the ball in play better and didn’t three putt as much. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Played Mid Pines yesterday and shot one of the best rounds of my life, a 72.

That included a bogey free front 9 with two birdies for a 34 (I believe that's the first time I've gone bogey free for 9 holes), then started the back 9 with a single bogey and a double bogey before playing the final 7 holes in -1 for a 38.

Played really solid in pretty much every aspect, approach shots were phenomenal, I was hitting quality shot after quality shot especially with my wedges.

Probably the most encouraging part was that despite me shooting 72, it easily could have been quite lower. I had at least 3-4 additional birdie looks in the 5-15 foot range that didn't drop. 

Ended up hitting 7/14 fairways and 14/18 GIR

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Last week:

Royal Dornach  83

Royal Dornach 84

Nairn 86

Kingsbarns 84

Gotta picture on the Swilcan Bridge at the Old Course but had to infiltrate, as we did not play there. Really not a problem; a lot of people were doing it.

Bill M

Raced a thunderstorm to play 9 after work today and finished right when they were blowing the horn. Finished in an hour and twenty minutes. Shot a 44 with 4 pars, 3 bogies, a double and a triple. Two 3-putts. I am rebuilding my putting stroke and was generally pleased with read and bead, but distance control is a little off. My old stroke pushed everything significantly. One of the 3-putts was a very difficult downhill breaking putt that is very hard to keep close, but the other one I just hammered past the hole. The triple bogey was one of the 3-putts which happened after I handcuffed myself with a hard hit but pulled drive that put me behind a tree. Generally happy with my driver and irons. Hit 6/7 fairways, but only hit 4/9 greens (7 nGIRs). 

Edited by The Flush
a

War Eagle!

Played Musgrove Mill today and the pins were tucked or on ridges on 15 holes. Very difficult for me and my driving was off for the first time in a while. Shot 48-48 and my handicap remained at 8.6.

Went through the ballnamic fitting from Ping and they recommended the Bridgestone TourB X. It was definitely longer off the tee on several. Hit my 2nd longest drive on 1, and just lipped out a birdie. Parred 2 and hit great tee balls on the next 4 holes but then started missing. Ended up finishing the round with my old ball, the Maxfli Tour X (2021 version). Finished with 2 pars. Lot of ugliness between 3-16.

My stepson and I played nine holes with two of the grandsons. We played a 2-person scramble/match to keep things moving along. My grandson partner was on fire with the putter and we finished off the competition 5&4. The grandsons took off after nine and we finished up with a regular nine holes.

I typically struggle a bit on the four closing holes because of their length (408, 227, 384, 403). I may carry a drive 190 yards on a good swing. I parred in yesterday, which felt good after too many bogey/bogey/bogey/bogey finishes at this course.

Edited by bkuehn1952
typo

Brian Kuehn

Forgot to post it last week, but I shot an 86 at Beacon Ridge in West End, NC on 7/16 .  I had 6 GIR with 5 fairways and 36 putts.  

4 over 39 with 1 birdie. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Had an absolute disaster on Sunday, shot 110. I was spraying the driver (and in fact anything I tried to hit off the tee) everywhere and had 10 penalty strokes in 18 holes. Big blocks and pull hooks with the occasional snap hook just for variety. 

An honourable mention for a 2nd shot 3 wood on the 580 yard par 5 18th, out of the first cut, that went arrow straight 300 yards to about 15 yards short of the green  (downwind with a stiff breeze but I'm playing that down 😉). The less said about the duffed chip and 3 putts the better. 

Made 2 pars and 2 birdies somehow, but 2 9s and 2 10s somewhat killed the card. Days like that need to be erased from the memory! My learning style is reflective though, so after a long think about what was different from a few weeks back when I was hitting driver really well I concluded that I was snapping my left leg straight before impact which was throwing the club off-plane. I need to remember that I don't have the flexibility to fold myself in half sideways like Rory  so that much use of the left leg is not going to have a pretty outcome.

Went to the range last night and worked on maintaining height through the swing and rotating my hips  correctly and (surprise surprise) immediately starting making a more consistent contact with my usual baby draw ball flight. I'll get to the range a couple more times this week and try to get that somewhat embedded. I need to take advantage of some really good course conditions at the moment to get my handicap down. Our place has some nice firm fairways but also receptive greens so I should be scoring much better.  

Shot a 72 (2.4 differential) today. 1 eagle, 4 birdies, 7 pars, and 6 bogies. My index will drop from 8.1 to 7.2. Getting back down closer to where I was a few years ago. Feeling good.

Edited by Carl3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shot a 51 (+16 on par 35).  Not looked over SS yet but is was a very mixed round.  Had a few great drives, of course I followed up the good drives with crap shots. On a Par 5 hit @ 260 down the center and followed that up by hitting on top of the ball driving it into the ground and only advancing @ 20 yards. Then hit short right @ 40 yards from center and at least my pitch was good stopping 3’ from the pin leading to a par.  Also had too many 3 putts.

only saving grace was zero drops or lost balls. Usually that would lead to a better score but not yesterday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

First sub-bogey round of golf (-17 gross). Lots to work on, but lots to be really pleased with: five up-and-down recovery saves; six pars (matched PB); and no blowup holes! Which I’m probably the most excited about - not a single triple-bogey or higher recorded, something I’ve never done before. 

Of the five double bogeys: two ultimately caused by a poor distance putt (ended up 3-putting both times); lipped out one bogey putt. The remainder were caused by poor tee shots ( unplayable lie and hazard respectively) but played the rest of the hole as well as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

Managed a slight improvement this weekend after 5 range sessions during the week working on fixing the early extension that seems to have crept into my swing over the last couple of months. Focusing on hip rotation eventually started to work and the driver was back to baby draw with solid contact after 7 holes or so. Definitely a relief after 3 rounds of absolute garbage off the tee.

Shot a 101 (53/48 against a par of 34/38). Much improved back 9 where I managed to convert the range work to what I was doing on the course. Left a few out there as I don't think I holed a putt over 4 ft all day and had a brain fade leading to a 2 shot penalty for playing the wrong ball. Strong finish of 5 over for the last 7 holes gives me confidence for the next time out, especially as I bogied the last 2 par 5s despite being 25 yards from the green in 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shot 41-37=78 at Links O’ Tryon in Campobello for my first round under 80 this year. Blustery day after overnight storms, which left plenty of leaves and branches on the fairways. The wind made driving more difficult for me and I hit more GIR (10) than fairways (7) for only the second time in my last 20 rounds.

Opened with a great drive that found an odd, unrepaired diagonal divot. Made poor contact on the approach and dropped it short into a green side bunker. I don’t get to play much, but practice when able, and have been working on dropping my right foot back on bunkers after watching Tiger’s video with Scheffler. Hit it to 7’ and made the sandy!

Promptly hit the second tee ball with a hard hook into the trees and end up making triple, just missing my 9’ putt. 

Birdie the par 5 third from 8’, then bogey 3 of the next when I misjudge the wind on approaches and can’t connect on my good chips, or three-putt from 28’ on the par 3 7th. Par 8 & 9 for a 41. Happy with my score because I have only hit 3 fairways and had all these first putts inside 11’ that burnt edges.

Opened the back 9 with a par, then 3 bogeys when I misjudged the wind and miss the putts from chips and pitches all inside 10’.

Eagled the par 5 14th with a putt from 28! birdied the 16th and back to even on this 9. Par 17 and green side in two on the par 5 18th. Easy uphill chip fir a good look at birdie, but the ball was embedded and I moved it about 2! Chip again to 8’ and miss for a bogey and back 9 37. Happy with the score and thrilled with eagle.

My partner and I are defending champs in a tournament we won at a different course last year. We will play here in a few weeks and I am eager to return.

• Thumbs Up 1