IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

The game is finally coming together. (at least I think it is.) So yesterday, I played one of (if not the best) 9 holes I've played all year.

4 GIR's, 4 NGIR's. 

The driver was excellent. Only two "bad" drives all day. One on number five, (in which I teed off with 3 wood, missed badly to the right.) That's the hole where I had to hit a recovery and didn't make either a GIR or an NGIR. The other was on hole nine. I missed left into the trees, but recovered to make par. 
Funny thing: I'm positive number four was in the fairway. But only by about a foot or so. Shotscope shows it as a fairway missed, but it was totally in "the A position". Number 4 was also my best approach shot, to about 8 feet with PW. Okay, I missed the birdie putt, but what ever. 

I missed an easy 3 footer on number 8 which would have made another par. But it evened out on 9, because I hit a miraculous chip shot to save par. 

image.thumb.png.909ca3bb784d743c8b0f551560fb903c.png

My strokes gained is shown vs a 5 HCP. 

My approach shots are (as they have been all season) the area I still need the most work. I will say I felt like I hit good approach shots yesterday in terms of there were zero stinkers. Everything was either a GIR or an NGIR. 

The work I'm putting in seems to be paying off. The handicap hasn't been dropping yet, but my confidence is rising. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really do not feel like posting this but it is what it is and I need to own it.  Tuesday shot 57 on 9 holes.  It was a horrible day.  What few good shots I had were offset by 6 penalty strokes (1 S&D and 4 drops).  Putting was only good part.  I had a total of 12 puts with 6 holes being 1-Putts and no 3-Putss.  2 of those 1-Putts were from 20-25'.  Unfortunately that was combined with 0 GIR and only 1 NGIR.  Had a wonderfull shot from a green-side bunker....But it was the 2nd shot from that bunker!

It's good to know that Putting is King!😜

Edited by StuM
Fixed typo
  • Booooooooo 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Really do not feel like posting this but it is what it is and I need to own it.  Tuesday shot 57 on 9 holes.  It was a horrible day.  What few good shots I had were offset by 6 penalty strokes (1 S&D and 4 drops).  Putting was only good part.  I had a total of 12 puts with 6 holes being 1-Putts and no 3-Putss.  2 of those 1-Putts were from 20-25'.  Unfortunately that was combined with 0 GIR and only 1 NGIR.  Had a wonderfull shot from a green-side bunker....But it was the 2nd shot from that bunker!

It's good to know that Putting is King!😜

Hang in there, brother.

Sometimes golf is like a bruise. It gets really ugly before it gets better. 

• Funny 1

46 (+10) on the front nine.

Not bad considering I carded 2 8s  (triple & quad bogie)
The rest of the round was 4 pars, 2 bogies, a double, a triple & a quad bogie.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Game is finally coming together. Shot level par 70 today. Had 2 3 putts but also 2 insane up and downs. I've done this before but never in a strokeplay tournament. Result my hdc went down from a 7.9 to 5.8. After my iron change (play mizuno pro 223,s now) i was breeding on a low round never thought it would be a 70 tho. And i was so close to a 69 just horse shoed my birdie putt on 18.

IMG_0179.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Played Links O Tryon in Campobello , SC, today. 34-40=74.

The good: played great! 13 FW, 9 GIR, 29 putts. The one missed FW I hit a good drive that ran through the dogleg on #8, a long par 5. Couldn’t have been happier with my driving. Also made 4 birdies!

Not so good: Made double bogey from 140 yards in the middle of the fairway on 11 to fall back to even after hitting a dreadful chip from the fringe. Hit another poor chip on 15 to make a bounce back bogey after going bogey- birdie on 13 and 14. Three-putted 16to fall to +2.

Finished with a laser from 172 on 17 to 11’ and just missed the birdie. Green side in 2 on the par 5 18th and hit a good pitch to 9’. Missed the birdie right on the lip. Really needed a good breeze!

Looking forward to an annual tournament in two weeks where my partner and I are defending champions!

Edited by Clemsonfan
Misspelled word
  • Thumbs Up 1

37+38=75 for a 5.2 differential. This coupled with my previous 72 will get my index down to a 6.7. 

I still have many things to work on, but am pleased with many of my shots and my scoring.

• Thumbs Up 2

In our tournament yesterday there were a lot of good scores but one stood out for me (not mine). We have an 80 year old player who is one step away from a fatal heart attack. He is not in good shape but shows for each event and plays. His scores are typically 98-110 (gross) and he rarely places in the top 5 for his flight.

Yesterday, he must have caught some lightning. 80 gross, 60 net. He was just absolutely glowing with happiness. Next tournament he will be back to shooting 100 but he has the memory of a great round.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

On 8/3/2023 at 11:57 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Funny thing: I'm positive number four was in the fairway. But only by about a foot or so. Shotscope shows it as a fairway missed, but it was totally in "the A position". 

Can't you edit it after the round to say that it actually was in the fairway?

If that happened often enough over time that would result in inaccurate stats, right?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

28 minutes ago, klineka said:

Can't you edit it after the round to say that it actually was in the fairway?

If that happened often enough over time that would result in inaccurate stats, right?

Oh yes, of course I can edit it and put that shot in the fairway. Actually I've already gone back and done that. But when I posted my "What did you shoot today?" score it was just with raw ShotScope data. I hadn't really looked at it yet. I just signed off on the number shown on my phone and moved on. I like to do any editing of rounds on my computer. (The bigger screen is easier on us old guys.) 

On a side note, I've been getting really good at using shotscope and I very rarely edit very much at all any more. The biggest thing is capturing the flag position and penalties. If I remember to grab the flag put in my penalties everything else is usually just fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Played a practice round for upcoming tournament at the Disney Palm's GC. Shot 85 with no 6's. I kept reminding myself," They used to play a Tour event here, Tiger and Jack played here, take your bogey and be happy." Brutally hot, went through a new glove about every three holes. I should have complained and asked for a rain check. LOL I paid 18 bucks with GPS enabled cart for 18 holes. They had punched the greens last week so they were slow.  

• Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Played a practice round by myself yesterday. Shot +13 gross (new PB by 4 shots) which is -10 nett; all with an ugly triple on 13 and a lost ball off the tee on a par-3. Over 50% fairway finders, 4 GIRs (two more finished within touching distance). Lots of good golf and generally made good decisions. Especially pleased with the putter and was consistent off the tee. But plenty to work on. The round is yet more proof that I’m getting my head around this silly beautiful game.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:11 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

In our tournament yesterday there were a lot of good scores but one stood out for me (not mine). We have an 80 year old player who is one step away from a fatal heart attack. He is not in good shape but shows for each event and plays. His scores are typically 98-110 (gross) and he rarely places in the top 5 for his flight.

Yesterday, he must have caught some lightning. 80 gross, 60 net. He was just absolutely glowing with happiness. Next tournament he will be back to shooting 100 but he has the memory of a great round.

So, that makes me feel there is hope for me to shoot a low round....but hopefully I do that before I turn 80

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Shot an 81 at Twin Bridges in Danville, Indiana.

75.0/137 rating at 7,071 yards

Started out very bad on the front with a double on 12 and a triple on 14. Greens are very tough and I 3-putted four times on the front (11,12,13,16).

However, finally started hitting the ball on the back and shot 37, parred the last 8 holes.

44/37 - no birdies.

today I shot 43 (+8 on Par 35).   

Had 1 GIR & 3 NGIR.  Hit 3 of 6 fairways.   Putter bailed me out of my few bad shots.  Had 16 total putts with 3 one-putts including a 30 footer.  Had only 1 three-putt but unfortunately that was on my 1 GIR for bogie, at least that was from 60 feet so not the worst three putt.

I had 3 bad shots, only 1 penalty shot.  I figure those 3 shots cost me 4 strokes!  One was a tee shot in the water for a penalty and unable to hit at the green after my drop- I figure that is 2 shots lost.  1 chip from 20 yards out that dropped 5 yards short of the green.  And an attempted layup that went off the toe into the trees requiring a recovery shot just to get back to the fairway.

Needless to say, I am very happy.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

43-40-83

I haven't broken 80 in six years now (I am 70 years old) but Saturday was the day I should have done it. One bad swing on 7 went OB where I made triple, plus I missed three putts inside four feet. Next time. 

Bill M

Played Woodfin Ridge in Inman, SC, on Sunday. Preparing for a tournament next weekend in which my partner and I are defending champions.

This course is one of my favorite layouts and I loved playing there over the years. My regular playing partners all joined private clubs, so I don’t get to play Woodfin too often anymore and I was excited to play.

Shot 35-38=73 for my best score in 2 years! I have played well the past three rounds, and my irons were sharp - hitting 15 GIR. Hit 8 FW and had 31 putts. All three greens I missed I made bogey or worse. Missed the 13th after a great drive and a SW in to a back pin. Hit my chip long by 10’ and missed the putt. 

My driving was a little shaky but I was fortunate to have kick-in birdies at 6, 12 and 14, and made a nice birdie putt from about 12’ on 3. After double bogey on the par 3 15th, I really went after birdies on the final three holes, lipping out on 2, all from 10’ or less. Disappointed in the double bogey on 15 but glad to have given myself a chance on the final three holes. Really looking forward to the tournament next weekend!

Recorded a new PB by recording a +10 gross round, breaking 80 for the first time. Yes, it’s a shorter (sub-6k yards) course and it’s only a par 69.  But I’m hitting fairways with a 3-wood*, putting myself on/around the green in regulation on a fairly regular basis and subsequently creating good par opportunities with my short game.

Yes, there’s lots to improve on. For instance, Ideally I’d be a little more accurate with my approach shot direction; missing greens is fine but part of that may be needing to re-gap my irons to better control distance. But I’m aware it’s fine margins that even sub-10 hcap players don’t regularly achieve. 

*Driver shopping is scheduled for this weekend. I can now hit one reliably enough to compare new drivers with my existing ~20 y/o driver. Excitement levels are building! 🤣

• Thumbs Up 2