IGNORED

Putting Drills I want to share

WillM
Note: This thread is 2543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thought I would just share some drills here that I use to hone my skills on the green. Enjoy:

Clock Drill

• 12 tees around the hole at 4 feet. Make all 12 in a row

Failure drill (this one is brutal, not about making the putts as much as dealing with failure)

• 8 tees in the ground around the hole at 5 feet. Make 3 in a row at each one. If you miss, start over
  • This one is also meant to simulation pressure and learning how to perform under it without worrying about the failure

Percentage Drill

• Tees at 3, 6, 9, and 12 feet at 4 spots around hole. Hit 10 balls from each tee
    • 100% at 3 feet
    • 80% at 6 feet
    • 60% at 9 feet
    • 40% at 12 feet
    • Percentages are target goals to work towards

Use a String Line

• Set up string line and make 50 putts in a row

3, 6, 9 Drill

• Make 3 putts at 3 feet, 6 feet, and 9 feet
    • If you miss 1, stay at same distance. If you miss 2, go forward one spot. If you miss all 3, start over.

Kristin Drill

• 3 different holes and putts from 6, 12, and 15 feet.
  • Hole all balls in 12 putts or less

Gate drill (to groove stroke)

• Place two tees in the ground (like a gate) and hit putts between them
  • Make 50

Drawback Drill

• When practicing lag putting, pull all putts back a putter length
  • Meant to focus on grinding over putts between 4-6 feet

Seven (meant to do with other people, can be modified for single person)

• Place a tee in the ground around 6-9 feet and take turns hitting the putt
  • Every MAKE adds 1 point on the “board”
  • Anyone who MISSES now has the points that were on the “board”
  • If you reach 7 points you are out of the competition

Edited by WillM
  • Upvote 5

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

How long do you practice putting per day on average?  How many days per week?

I tried out for the Univ of Florida golf team back in the day.  Didn't even come close to making the two walk-on spots.  Those guys were good!  I hung out at the course a lot back then, so I saw what the players did.  I don't know if I could have put in the required time needed to be on the team.  More power to you!

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I. have used the clock one you mentioned. Works quite well.

I have one where I use two balls. As I am. walking on the green I drop one ball behind me.  When get to a spot I drop the second ball. I then read and putt the second ball trying to hit the first ball. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How long do you practice putting per day on average?  How many days per week?

I tried out for the Univ of Florida golf team back in the day.  Didn't even come close to making the two walk-on spots.  Those guys were good!  I hung out at the course a lot back then, so I saw what the players did.  I don't know if I could have put in the required time needed to be on the team.  More power to you!

I usually practice for about an hour a day just for putting and usually 6 days a week

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

I usually practice for about an hour a day just for putting and usually 6 days a week

Serious.  I practice daily in my office at home.  Maybe 15 minutes.  I go to the practice facility probably twice per week for an hour of combined putting and chipping.

I think I made a break through this week.  Putted great yesterday on the course.  The golf gods are going to get me now.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Well the ultimate goal is to become a pro so I practice a lot... It also helps to be in college because I have way too much time on my hands, even playing on the golf team.

There are two drills that I like to do on the putting green. The first is working on my distance control. I do this by setting a string up 15 - 20 feet away and working on stopping the ball on it. The other drill I like is to stretch out a string between two crochet needles and work on making sure that I hit my start lines.

Now that I think about it, it's been a while since I really spent anytime on a putting green practicing. I might putt around for a few minutes before a round to get warmed up and get a feel for the greens, but it's been far too long since I actually practiced putting (or really anything). Damn this new job.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Failure drill

(this one is brutal, not about making the putts as much as dealing with failure)

• 8 tees in the ground around the hole at 5 feet. Make 3 in a row at each one. If you miss, start over
  • This one is also meant to simulation pressure and learning how to perform under it without worrying about the failure

This is a good drill.  These putts are the ones you find to save par and are the ones that can help you get some momentum if it's for birdie.  When I used to play a lot more my focus was on being comfortable from 5-6 feet.  It takes a ton a pressure off the short game.  You instantly become more confident with your chips, out the sand etc.

I would work on my putts from about 20 ft working on speed control then I would do a modified version of this before I played.  I would only have one spot marked at about five feet and work my way around the hole and back to the tee.  I would use 2 balls and only do 4 stations at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.  It helped me build confidence and make sure I felt comfortable with my stroke that day.  (Shame on me, I don't work on it much any more and I don't really do this unless I get to the course early).

Thanks for the other drills!  Good info.

Edited by JP golf

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Good drills I however never use them because they don't simulate reality. I play with one ball on the green i pick a hole from 50 feet 2 feet any random hole and look read and go. That's it cause you aren't going to have any tees on the course so better putt by feel.

• Administrator

Good drills I however never use them because they don't simulate reality. I play with one ball on the green i pick a hole from 50 feet 2 feet any random hole and look read and go. That's it cause you aren't going to have any tees on the course so better putt by feel.

The purpose of a drill is to improve at one of the three keys to putting:

If you improve at one of them, you get better at putting.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

AWESOME...thanks for the info!

Driver: Titleist - 910 D2; 10.5*
3-Wood: TaylorMade - Burner Superfast; 15*
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics - XGC3 3-AW
Wedges: PING -56* & 60* Pro Wedges BlkDot
Putter: PING - G2i My Day
Ball: Bridgestone TOUR B330‑RX
Bag: PING - Hoofer 2 - Red/White/Blue
Shoe: Footjoy - Classic Brown Leather

I like these. Will defo be putting the work in over the winter on putting. Thanks for sharing.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

• 1 month later...

Will, I just wanted to chime in to thank you for posting these - especially the 3, 6, 9 drill. 

Previously, I had been taught a variation of the 3, 6, 9 drill where any miss required you to start over from the beginning. Talk about a demoralizing way to practice your putting! There's nothing worse than rolling in 8 putts in a row, only to see the whole effort go down the tubes when you lip out your last 9 footer. In my experience, that actually makes you rush through your 3 footers, because you want to move as quickly as possible to the putts that really "count."

Your version of the drill gives you a bit more forgiveness, and makes every putt worth something. If I miss my second 6 footer, I'm still going to focus over the 3rd one, because I want to stay at that level. And if I'm putting poorly enough that I get bumped back to the 3 footers, I realize that it's time for me to take a deep breath, reset and put a good stroke on those next three short putts. 

I've done it a couple times and in my experience, it takes about 10-15 minutes to finish the drill, which is an ideal amount of time for me. By contrast, once I was out on the green for an hour - trying to roll 9 straight putts in under my "old" version of the drill. By the end of the afternoon, I was just ready to put my putter away for awhile.

18 hours ago, Big C said:

Will, I just wanted to chime in to thank you for posting these - especially the 3, 6, 9 drill. 

Previously, I had been taught a variation of the 3, 6, 9 drill where any miss required you to start over from the beginning. Talk about a demoralizing way to practice your putting! There's nothing worse than rolling in 8 putts in a row, only to see the whole effort go down the tubes when you lip out your last 9 footer. In my experience, that actually makes you rush through your 3 footers, because you want to move as quickly as possible to the putts that really "count."

Your version of the drill gives you a bit more forgiveness, and makes every putt worth something. If I miss my second 6 footer, I'm still going to focus over the 3rd one, because I want to stay at that level. And if I'm putting poorly enough that I get bumped back to the 3 footers, I realize that it's time for me to take a deep breath, reset and put a good stroke on those next three short putts. 

I've done it a couple times and in my experience, it takes about 10-15 minutes to finish the drill, which is an ideal amount of time for me. By contrast, once I was out on the green for an hour - trying to roll 9 straight putts in under my "old" version of the drill. By the end of the afternoon, I was just ready to put my putter away for awhile.

I been working on my short putts.  I try to start off at a hole that is somewhat flat around the hole. I find that if I start practicing around the hole that has lots of break it doesn't stimulate real course  situations as most holes generalIy have flat portion.   I do more 3,4,5 foot putts as I will likely face those putts most often.   Also when making most of these I start feeling confident about my stroke.  I work my way towards 10 feet when I'm confident with my stroke and start to circle and find putts that breaks 

Edited by dchoye

Note: This thread is 2543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!