IGNORED

Top ten golfers of all time!!

Sante TwoGloves
Note:Β This thread is 3105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

Top 10 golfers for me aren't the ones that WONΒ the most .. but DIDΒ the most for the image of golf.

1) SevΓ© .... the best ever NATURALΒ golfer (nicerΒ than the churned out modern automatons)

2) Greg Norman ... just realΒ FUNΒ to watch

3) Payne Stewart .. also fun to watch .. and his Plus Fours, check socks and capΒ :-D

4) Phil Mickelson .. forever the smiling GENTLEMANΒ player

5) Tom Watson .. a young golfers ROLE MODELΒ 

6) The Big Easy .. ever seen him fazed?? (I wanna be like him)

7) Jack Nicklaus .. do IΒ need to explain this choice ..

8-10 ... Now I've got problems :)

You seem to have forgotten perhaps the person who did the most… ever… for the image of golf.

He's from Latrobe, PA.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you are talking about who did the most for the image of golf, how do you not include Tiger Woods on that list? Β  I know he has a black mark near the end here. Β But he has single handedΒ changed how Golf as a whole is viewed by half the American population. Β He has made the game a "cool" thing and changed the stigma attached to the game. Β It is no longer for retired men only. Β Not only for white men, its for women, minorities and kids in high school. Β I think Tiger has done more than the rest of your Top 10 list when it comes to changing the image of the game. Β You don't even have Arnold Palmer on the list either!!! He had such a cult following and still does to this day, he has touched more lives via golf than almost anyone. Β I see what you were doing with your list but I think you are terrifically of the mark with the names on the list.

Well I'm afraid for ME WoodsΒ definitely hasn'tΒ enhanced the image of golf ..Β 

If he didn't spread his pecker wide and far, quit spitting all over the golf course and quit looking around at the spectators when he makes a bad shot for someone else to blameΒ then it may be a different matter.

As I said, it's not about winning .. but it's MY list anywayΒ 

Edited by Gettin Better

• Administrator

It could easily be argued that Tiger single-handedly made golf a "sport." He introduced the game to minorities far, far more than those who came before him, and Tiger was one ofΒ the most recognizable people in the worldΒ at one time. Maybe still is.

And all those people knew him as was "really good at golf." Those things you listed, which many people don't care about at all, are only even really known to golf insiders.

Your list is still prettyΒ lame sinceΒ you failed to include Arnold Palmer.

If anyone matches your personal criteria, it's him.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

It could easily be argued that Tiger single-handedly made golf a "sport." He introduced the game to minorities far, far more than those who came before him, and Tiger was one ofΒ the most recognizable people in the worldΒ at one time. Maybe still is.

And all those people knew him as was "really good at golf." Those things you listed, which many people don't care about at all, are only even really known to golf insiders.

Your list is still prettyΒ lame sinceΒ you failed to include Arnold Palmer.

If anyone matches your personal criteria, it's him.

Woods helped make golfΒ a COMMERCIAL game ... and may be held in esteme in the States but in this part of the world he's seen by the majority of golfers I know (and that's hundreds-pretty representative) in a very different light ... and Arnold .. OK a good golfer I'll agree but not one that jumped to my mind when I thought about the image of the game .. but there again I'm not an AmericanΒ ;-)

but as far as Woods being "one ofΒ the most recognizable people in the world"Β .... outside of the world of golf, most people outside the states have never even heard of him. He's far fromΒ a general news item .. justΒ had a small note once late in the news when he had the publicised marital problems but for the rest he's never ever mentioned.

Edited by Gettin Better

If he didn't spread his pecker wide and far, quit spitting all over the golf course and quit looking around at the spectators when he makes a bad shot for someone else to blameΒ then it may be a different matter.

As I said, it's not about winning .. but it's MY list anywayΒ 

Exactly. Well done, sir.

I share your opinion. It's an opinion that's not well received around here, though.Β 

And I like your list too. Nice to see Greg Norman get some much deserved respect. That guy was great.

If Arnie is not on a golf enhancingΒ image or winning list, what is the question?Β :-O

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Exactly. Well done, sir.

I share your opinion. It's an opinion that's not well received around here, though.Β 

And I like your list too. Nice to see Greg Norman get some much deserved respect. That guy was great.

Please stop whining every time you post. State your opinion and move on. Your posts are very childish.

Woods helped make golfΒ a COMMERCIAL game ... and may be held in esteme in the States but in this part of the world he's seen by the majority of golfers I know (and that's hundreds-pretty representative) in a very different light ... and Arnold .. OK a good golfer I'll agree but not one that jumped to my mind when I thought about the image of the game .. but there again I'm not an AmericanΒ ;-)

but as far as Woods being "one ofΒ the most recognizable people in the world"Β .... outside of the world of golf, most people outside the states have never even heard of him. He's far fromΒ a general news item .. justΒ had a small note once late in the news when he had the publicised marital problems but for the rest he's never ever mentioned.

If you hadn't heard of Tiger Woods, even outside of the world of golf, you must have been living in a cave.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Please stop whining every time you post. State your opinion and move on. Your posts are very childish.

If you hadn't heard of Tiger Woods, even outside of the world of golf, you must have been living in a cave.

... in a cave in Europe. It's the Euros, always causing mischief.:-O

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

(edited)

Top 10 golfers for me aren't the ones that WONΒ the most .. but DIDΒ the most for the image of golf.

1) SevΓ© .... the best ever NATURALΒ golfer (nicerΒ than the churned out modern automatons)

3) Payne Stewart .. also fun to watch .. and his Plus Fours, check socks and capΒ :-D

Β 

I have lived all of my life 30 minutes from Latrobe,PA and I have always thought of Arnie to be the goodwillΒ ambassador of golf. He would no doubt beΒ number one for me as far as Β players who did the most for the image of golf. Β  And no Chi Chi?? Come on

Edited by Sante TwoGloves
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driverΒ 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4iΒ hybridΒ 
  4. Answer 6 ironΒ 
  5. Answer 8 ironΒ 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

You seem to have forgotten perhaps the person who did the most… ever… for the image of golf.

He's from Latrobe, PA.

You're right about that. Arnie had so much charisma, and he introduced the game to so many people. He'd definitely be on my list.

But I have to give Gettin Better some credit for posing the question a bit differently.Β 

Β 

I like your twist on the poll question, and applaud your including Payne Stewart and Seve. I would, however, add Arnold Palmer to the list...perhaps maybe Gary Player and Bobby Jones as well.

I also agree with your omission of Tiger Woods. While he's had a great career as a player...in my book second best behind Nicklaus...for me he's never been a likable guy at all.Β 

and Arnold .. OK a good golfer I'll agree but not one that jumped to my mind when I thought about the image of the game .. but there again I'm not an AmericanΒ ;-)

Has nothing to do with being an American, the world of golf (could even say all of sports) wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for Palmer, especiallyΒ theΒ Open Championship.Β 

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/after-arnold-palmer-came-st-andrews-1960-american-golf-was-never-same-again

Wherever Palmer went, American sports fans paid attention, so now everybody in the States knew about this historic championship played on dramatic seaside courses. American golf would never be so insular again. After Palmer, the greatest American players repeatedly found success on the links courses of England and Scotland: Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods, all of whom expressed their deep passion and affection for links golf and the creativity and shot-making it demands.

So when you're sipping coffee and enjoying the final round of the British Open on television Sunday morning, think about Palmer playing those same St. Andrews holes in 1960. Sure, the Open Championship would always have been here, but without Palmer it would have never been the same.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Β 

You do not have to be a US Citizen to appreciate Arnie, but it might take knowledge of the history of the modern golf game. Apparently, news travels slowly across the Atlantic.

Β 

Palmer won sevenΒ major championships:

Seve won five major championships

Both players were charismatic. Seve was more temperamental. I'd say Arnie enhanced the image of the game more than Seve, although Seve was brilliant.

Β 

If Arnie is not on a golf enhancingΒ image or winning list, what is the question?Β :-O

Completely agree, his is the definition of enhancing the game. Β His whole entire life has grown and enhanced the game of golf.

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern. Β Β Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver: Β Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g Β  Β 3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro Β (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi Β  Β Β Wedges: 54 Β & Β 58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

From Wikipedia, then my own list below.Β  This graph shows most PGA tour and major wins, seasons played as a PGA tour professional, HOF status, etc.:

Rank Name Lifespan Country Wins Majors Winning
span
Span
(years)
1 Sam Snead H 1912–2002 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 82 7 1936–1965 30
2 Tiger Woods 1975– 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 79 14 1996–2013 18
3 Jack Nicklaus H 1940– 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 73 18 1962–1986 25
4 Ben Hogan H 1912–1997 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 64 9 1938–1959 22
5 Arnold Palmer H 1929– 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 62 7 1955–1973 19
6 Byron Nelson H 1912–2006 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 52 5 1935–1951 17
7 Billy Casper H 1931–2015 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 51 3 1956–1975 20
8 Walter Hagen H 1892–1969 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 45 11 1914–1936 23
9 Phil Mickelson H 1970– 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 42 5 1991–2013 23
10 Cary Middlecoff H 1921–1998 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 40 3 1945–1961 17
11 Gene Sarazen H 1902–1999 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 39 7 1922–1941 20
Β  Tom Watson H 1949– 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngΒ United States 39 8 1974–1998 25

Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

My list, slightly different from Wiki list:

1. Jack Nicklaus - all-time majors leader

2. Sam Snead - all-time wins leader

3. Tiger Woods - runner up both wins and majors

4. Arnold Palmer - put golf on map

5. Ben Hogan - wins and majors

6. Billy Casper - so underrated and had to play against Jack, Arnold and Gary to eek out a win

7. Walter Hagen - wins AND majors

8. Byron Nelson - wins

9. Phil - would be close to the top had Tiger not taken so many wins during same career period

10. Tom Watson - 8 majors playing against very good competitors

dave

My list in a slightly different order from above:

1. Jack Nicklaus

2. Tiger Woods

Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Β 

9. Phil - would be close to the top had Tiger not taken so many wins during same career period

Β 

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 

How many times did Phil finish second to Tiger? Β In majors Phil was in 2nd once when Tiger was the winner (2002 US Open). Β That would give Phil the career slam but I don't think he would have won a great deal more with Tiger out of the equation. Β I don't disagree with Phil making the list. Β I just don't think he was held back by Tiger.

Brian Kuehn

Β 

I also agree with your omission of Tiger Woods. While he's had a great career as a player...in my book second best behind Nicklaus...for me he's never been a likable guy at all.Β 

Like him or not, Tiger is responsible for the popularity golf enjoys these days. He changed the game from an old, fat, elitist,Β white mans game to a sport that the younger generation of all backgroundsΒ can play.

He singleΒ handily help build the NIKE golf brand.
He help bring golf to the gaming generation through EA sports.Β 

When Tiger was healthy and on a roll people were glued to the PGA on TV. The ratings were up compared to when he did not play.

The same can not be said for other golfers.

Face it, he is the second most famous Tiger next to Tony!!!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey Β Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

In defense of Hagen...he won 11 majors when the PGA didn't exist.Β  The Western was really closely comparable at the time.Β  He won that 5 times.

In addition, the idea one could party all night, show up at the first tee in your tux and kick your opponents *ss has me putΒ  him near the top.

Note:Β This thread is 3105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!