IGNORED

LPGA Pro aspiration

Lafferty23
Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so I know this sort of post comes along every so often on this site, where someone does a 'dan plan' and asks whether its possible for them to go pro etc etc. So i apologise in advance. If youve developed a serious allergy and aversion to that kind of post please look away now, its not too late for you!

Anyway, mostly Im a realistic person, so at the moment this really is a pipe dream. Its the part of my brain which the largely rational side of my brain cant quite figure out. However, as im someone at a crossroads in life at the moment having just turned 21 and considering future options after university I have a bit of time to consider my future and at the back of my mind going pro at golf is a tiny little potential dream.

Heres a bit of background - Im 21 year old female who first picked up a club at aged 11 maybe, then played maybe once a year with my dad at the range and then at a public course. I always had quite a natural swing for a young girl but never really got into in more than the couple of time a year. However, a year and a couple of months ago I got the 'golf bug' - started playing 3 times a week at university with some friends and would youtube golf videos at every opportunity. At the start I was shooting maybe 24-28 over and within a couple of weeks got that down to 17-18. Then quickly i shot in single figures after a couple of months. As Im at university and have no car access I never really got the chance to go to the range as only real opportunity is being driven to the course by friends who have no desire to practice. Over summer I improved and got my official handicap down from 12 to 10 and now to 7 with only a couple of competition rounds ( I shot +1 and +3 over summer in a game with my friend). Im now shooting consistently between 4 and 7 for the last month or so and still feel I am improving at an alarming rate - I track my stats on Golf shake and in theory my FIR and GIR stats are around scratch and putting is the thing really letting me down (though this is improving pretty quickly which has resulted in my recent score reductions). The thing is, although Ive played a lot of golf in the last year I dont feel ive even scratched the surface with any kind of 'good' practice routine,

And here it is, the ridiculous question; Do I have a shot at playing to a really really high amateur championship level or pro level? Is my improvement trajectory really as 'amazing' as a couple of people have said to me. Part of me really believes I have a really special skill and part of me thinks that that is a completely ridiculous thought. 

I am fully aware becoming a pro golfer is a country mile away from being a scratch or even a + golfer, but part of me thinks that this may be less of a gulf for the female game? I would really love some opinions to tell me i'm crazy to consider taking a gap year type thing and giving it a shot.

Ultimately, I know that no matter what the response it will be down to my confidence whether I do give it a bit of a go. But basically, if in the next year a do get down to something around scratch (so from nothing basically to scratch in 2 years) would it be absurd to think I have a chance?

• Upvote 1

Ok, so I know this sort of post comes along every so often on this site, where someone does a 'dan plan' and asks whether its possible for them to go pro etc etc. So i apologise in advance. If youve developed a serious allergy and aversion to that kind of post please look away now, its not too late for you!

Anyway, mostly Im a realistic person, so at the moment this really is a pipe dream. Its the part of my brain which the largely rational side of my brain cant quite figure out. However, as im someone at a crossroads in life at the moment having just turned 21 and considering future options after university I have a bit of time to consider my future and at the back of my mind going pro at golf is a tiny little potential dream.

Heres a bit of background - Im 21 year old female who first picked up a club at aged 11 maybe, then played maybe once a year with my dad at the range and then at a public course. I always had quite a natural swing for a young girl but never really got into in more than the couple of time a year. However, a year and a couple of months ago I got the 'golf bug' - started playing 3 times a week at university with some friends and would youtube golf videos at every opportunity. At the start I was shooting maybe 24-28 over and within a couple of weeks got that down to 17-18. Then quickly i shot in single figures after a couple of months. As Im at university and have no car access I never really got the chance to go to the range as only real opportunity is being driven to the course by friends who have no desire to practice. Over summer I improved and got my official handicap down from 12 to 10 and now to 7 with only a couple of competition rounds ( I shot +1 and +3 over summer in a game with my friend). Im now shooting consistently between 4 and 7 for the last month or so and still feel I am improving at an alarming rate - I track my stats on Golf shake and in theory my FIR and GIR stats are around scratch and putting is the thing really letting me down (though this is improving pretty quickly which has resulted in my recent score reductions). The thing is, although Ive played a lot of golf in the last year I dont feel ive even scratched the surface with any kind of 'good' practice routine,

And here it is, the ridiculous question; Do I have a shot at playing to a really really high amateur championship level or pro level? Is my improvement trajectory really as 'amazing' as a couple of people have said to me. Part of me really believes I have a really special skill and part of me thinks that that is a completely ridiculous thought. 

I am fully aware becoming a pro golfer is a country mile away from being a scratch or even a + golfer, but part of me thinks that this may be less of a gulf for the female game? I would really love some opinions to tell me i'm crazy to consider taking a gap year type thing and giving it a shot.

Ultimately, I know that no matter what the response it will be down to my confidence whether I do give it a bit of a go. But basically, if in the next year a do get down to something around scratch (so from nothing basically to scratch in 2 years) would it be absurd to think I have a chance?

A chance? It's possible but...

1. You said you just got out of school. If you need to get a full time job and start paying those bills you won't have enough practice time or the funds to pay for all the training costs. Do you have the resources to be able to practice and play every day for a significant length of time.

2. Distance and swingspeed, do you have enough? I figure you'd need to be a bit above the LPGA average to make up for the lack of playing experience. Makes things a lot easier.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Indeed you can get to scratch. Why not? However, scratch isn't very good. I'm a 4, and I suck. I play with a bunch of scratch golfers, and they aren't very good either. Scratch is certainly achievable. And it's within reach of many, many golfers.

The pros all have something in common- they have a complete disrespect for par. And complete disrespect for par (scratch) golfers.

I think you can be a good amateur player.  Being able to be a pro is a remote possibility.   Being an LPGA payer is going to be near impossible.  There are just too many, especially, from overseas, LPGA wannabees who start at early age, and devote full time to turn pro.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

If it's your dream go for it.  Gene Littler didn't start to golf until he was 21 and became a major champion.  Wish I were 21 again....

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I'm going to go ahead and just say.... No.. You don't have a chance.. You can enjoy golf for the rest of your life though, so that's a good thing!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

However, scratch isn't very good. I'm a 4, and I suck. I play with a bunch of scratch golfers, and they aren't very good either.

Its all relative I guess ... I'm an 11 & I think I'm pretty decent.    I'm better than the guys I play with, so it's relative.   I find it annoying when you say you play with scratch golfers & they aren't very good ... seems like a silly statement, when less than 1% of golfers ever achieve that level of suck

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I have heard and read many wise answers to your question.  Some may sound silly, but they are correct.

1.  Always pursue your dreams while you are young. 

2.  Your destiny lies down the road of your dream and hard work.

3.  It will have real hard times, but real progress always comes after frustration.

4.  Life is tough and it takes hard work to achieve anything of merit.

5.  Don't wake up when you are older wishing you had tried.

Welcome to the site.

The odds are against you but it's impossible for anyone here to assess your ability without seeing your swing or stats.  At a 6.6 handicap you're a long way off.  If you're serious, post your swing video on the site.

Joe Paradiso

Assuming you have the skill set, and more pertinently the time and money to dedicate to practicing golf, you can definitely become a good amateur.  Making it onto the lower tours will be harder and the LPGA the hardest of the lot.  Remember that the higher the tour, the greater the competition and the more one single flaw can hold you back.

Good luck and hope you are able to make it.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I'm in general agreement with everyone above, but I will say this: your original post was terrific. You are not the typical naive person who sets out upon this journey, so that makes you unique right there. The other difference is that women's golf is likely easier to break into than men's golf (no, I don't think I'm sexist in saying that). 

I watched one season of Big Break not too long ago that was all women, half of whom played on the Symetra Tour. The winner and one other have gone on to get their LPGA cards. Were they incredibly awesome golfers that just blew us away? Not really. Jackie Stoelting and Sadena Parks. They are great golfers, yes, but it sure seems realistic for a young, talented player to equal their level. 

Anyway, they earned their way on tour by finishing in the Top 10 on the Symetra Tour, and they did not do to great in the LPGA their rookie seasons. Combined, they earned less than $100,000, and only once did either break the top 25, I think. Mostly "missed cuts."

So even if you get to the LPGA by working your way through the ranks, it's tough to make a living. Don't think you've made it once you get a tour card. Your life will be filled with missed cuts and frustrations, just like when you were working your way up.

You'd have to be a true prodigy to have it go much better than that. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Hi Lafferty23,

Not to be too suspicious but you are just 21 and have been posting on TST as far back as July 2009 according to this post (at which time you would have been 15 years old):

That is pretty young (15) to have a niece that is already in a band

You also had posted in 2009 that you wanted to get your handicap to 3 and eventually 1 in the thread on what are people's goals for 2009:

I would say that your chances of making it onto the LPGA tour are 0% because quite honestly at this point I can't with any certainty believe that you are even a female, let alone a 21 year old woman.

• Upvote 1

Its all relative I guess ... I'm an 11 & I think I'm pretty decent.    I'm better than the guys I play with, so it's relative.   I find it annoying when you say you play with scratch golfers & they aren't very good ... seems like a silly statement, when less than 1% of golfers ever achieve that level of suck

You're correct- it's all relative. Allow me to explain why I say scratch isn't very good.

I play lots of golf with a guy that's a "plus something." He's won a few events on the Hooters Tour, and a couple other mini tours. He's played in one PGA Tour event (missed cut). He qualified for the US Open, and actually held the lead briefly on Thursday, but missed the cut.

He is good, but he's still a nobody in the golf world. He's not even good enough to play on the Web.com Tour, and probably never will be good enough. 

One day I asked him if I could get to scratch and he said "Sure, but scratch is shit."  

Hi Lafferty23,

Not to be too suspicious but you are just 21 and have been posting on TST as far back as July 2009 according to this post (at which time you would have been 15 years old):

You also had posted in 2009 that you wanted to get your handicap to 3 and eventually 1 in the thread on what are people's goals for 2009:

I would say that your chances of making it onto the LPGA tour are 0% because quite honestly at this point I can't with any certainty believe that you are even a female, let alone a 21 year old woman.

I think we need some pics to "verify" you are a woman. :banana:  Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Hi Lafferty23,

This is my dad's account from years back im assuming (still got the details saved when i login) FYI he didnt get anywhere near down to 1, interesting to see that was his goal!

ill post a swing video in the next couple of days to prove i am not some random 45 year old guy posting about his lpgas dreams (!) although im not sure what someone posting that would really get out of it.

Thanks for your other replies - interesting to hear a variety of opinions

I'll add what I always say on threads like this. You need to first search out knowledgeable smart people who will help guide you on the correct path. This is what I call the 1% of golf teachers (it is probably bigger than 1%, maybe like 5-10%, but you get the idea) who will give you the right advice. The wrong person of which is the majority of people teaching golf will lead you down the wrong path and you will spend all your time trying to recover from said bad advice. Golf is hard so don't listen to bozos.

Also you need to work really hard. Practice and recognize no matter how hard you are working at your game someone is working harder than you. I have been lucky enough to watch a few young golfers who now are working their way onto the PGA Tour and they all work really really hard on their game.

Michael

People vastly underestimate  what it means by "hard" work needed to be a pro in any sport.   Hard work in this context (starting out late in life to make it to LPGA) certainly means spending almost every waking hour for golf. No or very little time for romances, and other social activities that young people do these days for fun.    I.e, it has to be a full time job and more to catch up, with proven coach (preferably who coached eventual pros before), and environment  ($, family support, etc).  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

If I was trying to assess the quality of my game for this sort of thing then the one thing I would definitely be doing would be playing in lots of competitions.  Doesn't matter if it was with buddies or club or county or state level I think the best way to test your stuff is to play against other people.  Shooting whatever score on your own or with a friend is just recreational golf - in order to make it on any kind of tour you have to be able to compete.  I guess some people really like the pressure that competition brings and it makes them play better, some people can't handle it and they just fold.  Some people dislike the pressure so much that it makes them realise having to do that every Thursday would not be the job for them.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!